Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - any fans?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have great memories of Hochsolden but they are very distant so of no real relevance to the current conversation.
January 1960, a 12 year old boy away from home on first ever school trip. Area only accessible by single seater chairlift up from the village which was both thrilling and terrifying at the same time; skis which seemed twice as long as I was tall; huge heavy leather boots; cable bindings which were incredibly hard to deal with; clothing which was less than waterproof; a small bowl area down which we skied then side-stepped back up with endless kick turns so that we could do it again.
What I find hard to understand is how come after that introduction I am still skiing 60 years later!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ultra says he thought Sölden "was pig ugly" but later says he went to the resort he loves "Tignes". Blimey, if Sölden is "pig ugly" compared to Tignes then it must be really bad, is it?

I would like to ask the percentage of snowboarders versus skiers in Sölden, anyone able to advise on that please?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I would like to ask the percentage of snowboarders versus skiers in Sölden, anyone able to advise on that please?

It was few years since I was in Sölden but I never noticed more or less snowboarders than else where in the Alps. So don't worry you will not be overrun with them. I am not an expert on aesthetics but Sölden is not a pretty town. Personally I would rank it below Tignes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn’t describe it as exactly ugly but the main road makes it unattractive. The architecture is fine, not pretty, not ugly. Most of the high resorts I have been too in the western alps are ugly from a architectural point of view. Solden is fine away from the main road but since the shops and restaurants tend to be alongside it it’s hard to avoid. But this is my view only, and it’s horses for courses (as they say). I have only been early season and the table bars weren’t in full swing. I understand it’s a popular place for a lads holiday with Germans and Dutch. Good skiing certainly.

I haven’t been to Hochsolden so I couldn’t say.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe stay up the road in Zwieselstein (which would be very very quiet) but easy access to Hochgurgl from there too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I stayed in Zwieselstein - it is very, very quiet. Two or three hotels, one restaurant/bar. Each morning I had the choice of the ski bus to Solden or to Obergurgl. I opted for Solden more than Obergurgl.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy