Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2021 Skiing family choice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
A relatively easy question for you to answer but I am still trying to find the best places to ski for my first family holiday.
There will be 6 adults and 2 children under 6 (children haven't skied before) and we are looking for a family friendly resort in february 2021. Ideally close to an airport under 2 hours away and enough for the kids to do away from the slopes if they get bored!
Any suggestions would be welcome please.
Thanks in advance! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What kind of accommodation do you want? Catered chalets would have you looking at France, hotels are better in Austria & Italy. Do you need a big ski area for the adults or are you happy to spend time in a small resort?

For a small resort and lower budget I'd recommend Niederau in Austria. For a bigger budget and a bigger ski area I'd look at Champoluc in Italy with Ski-2. Ski-2 have their own ski school and child care.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@surreyskier, La Rosiere is a family friendly resort, very snow sure, lots of activities for children, within 2 hours of Chambery airport or if you traveled by train 40 minutes from Bourg St Maurice. Go to www.larosiere.net for more information.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les gets is great and close to Geneva as is Morzine
La rosiere is a good resort for children although a longer transfer from Geneva (closer to Chambery)
I like Les arcs too Which is across valley from La Rosiere
Some of the Austrian resorts are great, although their ski school is morning and afternoon, so less family skiing time.

If you use a company like esprit then I wouldn’t recommend Gressoney due to logistics, although they have some good resorts (Les Gets is great)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Ros was our first family trip - the Esprit chalet we stayed in was next to the slopes, so very handy location. There's a nice walk through the forest to Les Eucherts (where there is a ropey 10 pin bowling place!) but it's a very nice walk. You'll have time to explore the outer slopes before ski school collection if you use it.
For your first trip you won't need a huge ski area, saving cash on skipasses that won't be used.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In my experience (3x kids) I'd say this is a much about 'minimizing' distances with 2x little ones as it is about the resort itself . . .on this basis I'd look at the Neilson Aalborg in Les Deux Alpes . . .

Everything here is easy - the Chalet Hotel is on the slopes - Ski hire / storage is in the basement of the hotel, the ski school meeting point is 50 metres away, 2x poma lifts serving 2x nursery slope runs are literally outside the front door - the hotel balcony overlooks these runs so you can watch your kids zip up and down whilst supping your beverage of choice . . .

Once the kids have had breakfast you get in the lift, get their kit on, get them to ski school / on the nursery runs as required - its that simple here . . .you can then disappear until you need to pick them up again. In addition / alternatively you can pay extra for Neilson nannies who will undertake all of the above steps on your behalf!

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's actually a very hard question right now because of COVID:
1) If I were booking anything for 2021, a key consideration would be the opportunity to refund in case it's not possible to travel, as insurance won't cover COVID lockdown.
2) I also wouldn't book anything with an operator that is likely to go out of business in the meantime (particularly those issuing credit notes rather than refunds, for whom the cash hit comes next season rather than this). That's pretty much the whole ski travel industry ruled out.
3) We don't even know which airports or airlines will be flying next season, but we do know that BA is already planning to be radically smaller than pre COVID, so picking a resort that's near to an airport might mean actually flying somewhere else.
4) Effectively, all the above means by far the most reliable option next season is to assume you'll have to self drive (and I say this as someone who has flown 99 out of my last 100 ski holidays!) and book accommodation yourself through a route that guarantees a refund.
5) In a COVID world, do you want to risk a hotel or chalet?

I think that set of criteria (somewhere drivable with refundable accommodation) will limit you quite a lot - Flaine/ Morzine/ Avoriaz/ Chatel/ St Gervais/ Les Contamines are all relatively easy drives and would fit the criteria (and maybe they're all immune in Les Contamines after this season's "outbreak"!).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 29-04-20 12:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ooops, quoted myself rather than edited!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave,

Have you driven this far with 2x kids under 6 . . ? Good luck with that - if you have you must have Saint like levels of tolerance!

PS. Fair play re the sensible COVID advice - however the OP is about resort / location advice . .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Somewhere like Ellmau gives access to the Ski Welt for the more experienced, decent areas for the beginners, a (small-ish) town with other activities and the big plus for when I went there with my own children for their first ski holiday, the Kaiserbad Leisure Centre for taking a day off mid-week if any of the littler ones need a break

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 29-04-20 13:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Belch, yup, and I think you'll find many on here have done similar. Mine did multiple 10-14 hour flights and drives from infancy.

... and I think my final sentence contains some resort and location advice!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic advice thank you all with regards to everything.
@snowdave sound advice I will need to check this before committing any booking.
Driving could be an option and overnight drive with a couple of cars!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Belch wrote:

Have you driven this far with 2x kids under 6 . . ? Good luck with that - if you have you must have Saint like levels of tolerance!

Regarding resort, I would definitely go small. Kids, ski gear and long walks are a very bad mix. Depending on your intentions regarding lessons and childcare, the ability to go back to your accommodation for an hour or two in the middle of the day can also be hugely valuable.

Sainte Foy, perhaps? Or, if you're willing to take the risks with coronavirus uncertainty and fly long-haul, would North America be a possibility? Lots of resorts over there have amazing facilities for children including things like outdoor swimming pools, secret castles hidden in the forest or instructors wearing dog costumes. It's a personal perspective, but our own kids always preferred our trips to the USA and Canada than to the Alps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:

Regarding resort, I would definitely go small. Kids, ski gear and long walks are a very bad mix. Depending on your intentions regarding lessons and childcare, the ability to go back to your accommodation for an hour or two in the middle of the day can also be hugely valuable.

Sainte Foy, perhaps? Or, if you're willing to take the risks with coronavirus uncertainty and fly long-haul, would North America be a possibility? Lots of resorts over there have amazing facilities for children including things like outdoor swimming pools, secret castles hidden in the forest or instructors wearing dog costumes. It's a personal perspective, but our own kids always preferred our trips to the USA and Canada than to the Alps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would suggest that self drive via Eurotunnel (with flexi plus) and self cater is the best way to go generally and particularly for next season. If the children are beginners I would consider going in the first week of the Easter holidays as the journey will be more relaxing with less traffic on the road and the slopes will be less crowded. I think all of the following would normally be ok at Easter..Valmorel maybe slightly riskier at Easter but ok for half term.

I would recommend looking at the following resorts: La Rosiere (Cimes Blanches or Hotel Alparena apartments), Les Saisies (Residence Amaya or La Chalet des Cimes if you want cheaper), Val Cenis (Chalets de Flambeau or Les Balcons du village), Montgenevre (la Napoleon or Hameau des Airelles), Sainte Foy (L'Etoile des Cimes) or Valmorel (Residence Anitea).

All of the above resorts are very family orientated and all the residences I have mentioned have a pool which is a nice apres ski activity with young children. Several of these resorts have mountain roller coasters and ice skating.

We have used Peak Retreats for over ten years and would recommend them, particularly if you are able to do self drive. Their customer service is good and they are very family orientated.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 29-04-20 14:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Maybe Avoriaz could work?

You've got yourself a traffic free purpose built ski resort. Kids beginners area right in the centre, and the green runs near the resort to ski around. Access to the Portes du Soleil for the more experienced.

The Aquariaz swimming pool (Centre Parcs style) for days/afternoons off.

Short transfer from Geneva, less than 2 hours. Also if you're driving it's one of the more northern resorts, so a couple of hours less driving.
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
Self drive via Eurotunnel (with flexi plus)
or without Flexiplus which would pay your food bill for the week
snow report
Another vote for self-drive and self-catering. Are you fixed on February? Check out the school holidays dates in that period as it can make resorts a lot busier than you might like. If the children are under 6 then you are much more flexible around school holidays. By driving you can take more of the stuff and with that many adults cooking won't be too much of a hassle. Many swear by ski in/ski out at that age. Never had that luxury and our two were all togged up and on the ski bus from 3.5yrs old. Think about what you want as adults as well, will you spend the afternoons with the children (as full days in ski school and aftercare can get a bit dull and tiring), do the other adults want a pool/spa etc. Grand Massif - Samoens/Morillon/Les Carrox/Flaine is worth a look.
snow report
DJL wrote:
snowymum wrote:
Self drive via Eurotunnel (with flexi plus)
or without Flexiplus which would pay your food bill for the week

If you buy the flexiplus in a tour operator package it is cheaper than buying stand alone. P & O ferry the cheapest option.
latest report
@snowymum, out of interest what is the premium charged for Flexiplus on a TO self catering package (as compared to a standard ET ticket)?
snow report
@DJL, I think the Eurotunnel part of the package was £200 last time we used it ie. return Eurotunnel including flexiplus. Have looked at Peak Retreats website for next season and it looks as though the Eurotunnel (incl flexiplus) part of the package is £240. NB it is more at half term but we don't go skiing at half term.

The Flexiplus foodbags are quite generous, and the kiosk serves hot drinks so you can deduct the cost of breakfast and lunch at a service station each way from the amount paid! I also enjoy reading the complimentary newspaper in the tunnel.
ski holidays
Quote:

In my experience (3x kids) I'd say this is a much about 'minimizing' distances with 2x little ones as it is about the resort itself .

Strongly agree with this. Ideally your accommodation needs to be a SHORT walk from the ski school meeting place, and with little kids it's good to be able to whisk them back to your apartment for lunch. Resorts will be very crowded, and restaurants absolutely heaving when morning ski school finishes (I assume we are talking half term?). Kids will be tired and hungry and possibly cross and being sat like zombies in front of a familiar video better than fighting the scrum to find a table where you can sit together and something they'll eat. Whilst spending a small fortune (I'm talking France here!).
snow report
snowymum wrote:
@DJL, I think the Eurotunnel part of the package was £200 last time we used it ie. return Eurotunnel including flexiplus. Have looked at Peak Retreats website for next season and it looks as though the Eurotunnel (incl flexiplus) part of the package is £240. NB it is more at half term but we don't go skiing at half term.

Don't Peak Retreats just include Eurotunnel Crossing with Flexiplus in the price of the holiday? How do you know the cost?

Sample prices via Eurotunnel direct going at Christmas at the days and times I normally book is £181 for Standard and £483 for Flexi. That is a hell of a price hike IMO.
latest report
@Layne, Peak Retreats do include the eurotunnel flexiplus in the holiday price but if you look at the bottom of their price table for a given residence there is an accommodation only price for those who book their own flights or train. So I worked out the eurotunnel flexiplus cost when booked through them from that. They also offer a lower price package including the ferry - from memory that is listed on the ferry page.
ski holidays
The China death plague will be stalking ski resorts for years to come.

If you must book ahead, go in mid-Apr 2021.

As late as poss in the season, when it is warmer, sunnier, quieter, less crowded, and more chance of a treatment / vaccine discovery.

Pick a state-subsidized or quasi-subsidized airline, like Emirates or Lufthansa, so it won't go bust.

If possible, drive.

Pick a wealthy ski resort, with less chance of closing down.

Pick a station with few (or no) enclosed trams / bubbles / funiculars or handheld drags, and lots of chairlifts.

Skiers cough alot and get drippy nose.

Book a whole chalet, only for you.

Disinfect the place when you arrive, open all windows and let air circulate whenever indoors.

Avoid shared hotels, chalets, and apartment blocks.

Try Les 2 Alpes or Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
I would definitely recommend Morzine as it is a great family resort and it only 90 mins from Geneva airport. There is so much to do if the kids don’t want to ski all day like swimming, park, horse and carriage rides and petit train rides.
I am a nanny and run my business called Altitude Nannies. If you need childcare or have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch. http://www.altitudenannies.co.uk/
snow report
I looked at the Valmorel Chalet Hotel run by another snowhead for my own january trip but decided that it wouldnt suit 4 adults. However it seemed perfect for a young family.......friendly, reasonably priced, flexible, virtually at the bottom of a green run in a fairly sensible resort. Never been myself, purely based on what i have read, but certainly worth a look.
latest report
I looked at the Valmorel Chalet Hotel run by another snowhead for my own january trip but decided that it wouldnt suit 4 adults. However it seemed perfect for a young family.......friendly, reasonably priced, flexible, virtually at the bottom of a green run in a fairly sensible resort. Never been myself, purely based on what i have read, but certainly worth a look.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:
In my experience (3x kids) I'd say this is a much about 'minimizing' distances with 2x little ones as it is about the resort itself . . .on this basis I'd look at the Neilson Aalborg in Les Deux Alpes . . .

Everything here is easy - the Chalet Hotel is on the slopes - Ski hire / storage is in the basement of the hotel, the ski school meeting point is 50 metres away, 2x poma lifts serving 2x nursery slope runs are literally outside the front door - the hotel balcony overlooks these runs so you can watch your kids zip up and down whilst supping your beverage of choice . . .

Once the kids have had breakfast you get in the lift, get their kit on, get them to ski school / on the nursery runs as required - its that simple here . . .you can then disappear until you need to pick them up again. In addition / alternatively you can pay extra for Neilson nannies who will undertake all of the above steps on your behalf!

Enjoy!

I second this!! We did the same 2 years ago with another 3 families, it was perfect.
snow conditions
Valmorel is certainly family friendly.
snow conditions
Norway is great. 2 hour flight to Oslo, 10 mins to get through passport and get bags and then 90 minute drive to Trysil. SkiStar run the resort and the accommodation is nearly all ski in/out.

Self catered or hotel with radisson. Swimming pools, wave machines, saunas, kids areas and small ski group sizes (6 max). Everything spick and span and well organised. Perfect English as well if your lingo not so great or the kids feel more comfortable with English. Some chance of northern lights and kids would love husky rides.

Done Geilo but that’s a long train journey although incredibly scenic and they have a kids carriage which has a soft play area in it.

Food is better in Italy and would recommend where the PreBBW is at that’s just 90 mins from Venice in Alleghe.
snow report
I think kids free ski pass if under 7 as well in Norway.
snow conditions
Quote:

Food is better in Italy

and booze infinitely cheaper!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy