Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do I get bored?

Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed that on the 4th day of skiing I tend to get bored and can't be bothered anymore, for the first 3 days I'm fine. I don't have any issues with fitness or injury so why am I feeling like this?

I'm still relatively 'new' to skiing having only been on 5 trips (with the school, Maria Alm x3 and Hinterglemm, I class myself competent and not afraid of coming down Black runs albeit not perfectly, maybe time for some lessons to get more enjoyment out of it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could be tiredness, or possibly a lack of challenge (if you always feel you're skiing within yourself)?

But also, it could simply be that you like skiing a bit, as opposed to a lot!

Typically we go on snow holidays with a bit of skiing, rather than ski holidays, whereas most on here probably go on ski holidays and that's the primary focus, with every day on the slopes.

Its a holiday and your choice, so don't feel you have to grab the first lift up and last run down, we never do!

Also, sometimes I board and ski on alternate days (well I say sometimes, I've only actually done that once, but have often switched just for the last day).

In short, don't feel pressured to do whatever everyone else does, its your holiday and as long as you come out of it having had a good time, thats really all that matters.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NewSki, are you always skiing alone, or in company?

IME, if I'm entirely on my own, I may be looking for options, for variety after 3 or 4 days, whereas on the bashes, with all the company to choose from, I'm spoilt for choice and the week flies by without a 2nd thought snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which aspects of skiing do you like? Try and develop those bits and do less of the stuff you don't. I get a bit bored with being in the same place all week, so I tend to ski in different areas during a typical week or find a really big place to ski in and focus on different bits of it during the week. ie. if staying in Zell or Saalbach, days out in Maria Alm, Kitzbuhel, Gasteins, Wagrain etc make it more fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go on shorter trips then
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switch to snowboarding much more fun, you won't get bored if you pick it up quickly esp. in POW!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve only been on three ski trips, all three were Snowheads Bashes. I’ll happily ski all day everyday, even for 14 days continuously. There are loads of different people of varying abilities and personalities to ski with. Also, on the BirthdayBash the huge skiing area covered by the Dolomiti Superski ski pass in the Dolomites, means there’s more than enough variety to go at. I’ve met some great people on the Bashes and the laughs and banter really helps to make the holidays.

But each to their own. I’m addicted to skiing and absolutely love it. Confused

As others have asked, do you tend to ski on your own?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I be the first to say “Get some lessons?”... snowHead

Joking aside, a lesson or two mid-week might offer you a new perspective or few different things to think about.

I say this as someone who never gets bored on 170m of dry slope, I may be the wrong person to ask!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NewSki, It could be you are going to a small resort and feel like you are flogging th pe same runs again and again. Try somewhere bigger/elsewhere.

More likely you are just looking at it all the wrong way. Skiing is just a Very pleasurable way of travelling from one bar/restaurant to another in the company of good friends.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Time to go steeper and deeper.

Head offpiste into the "you fall, you die" zone.

Somewhere like Chamonix or La Grave, in France.

Mix it up.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, Great idea for someone with 5 trips under his belt rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@NewSki, It could be you are going to a small resort and feel like you are flogging the same runs again and again. Try somewhere bigger/elsewhere.

More likely you are just looking at it all the wrong way. Skiing is just a Very pleasurable way of travelling from one bar/restaurant to another in the company of good friends.

Maria Alm is a great couple of days out, unless there is a lot of new snow, when it is tremendous. And there are some really excellent mountain stops; it is one of my all time favorite places to visit. The hugely wide and even pitched blues and reds are excellent and the lift system is great.

Hinterglemm..... pffff, couple of decent runs...... NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have an extraordinarily high capacity for skiing but also have days when I'm bored by it. Turning left and right down the same old type of runs can get boring at times. But next day I'm usually up for it again. But in the case of someone who hasn't skied much then

A Improving or
B Recognising you aren't that into it which is ok

Are both valid options. I'd bet on A though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd say that your trips are too long, if you are tired of skiing on a week's holiday.

I can honestly say that I've never, in 35 years, and 60 days a season average, been "bored" during a day on the slopes. I just love the outdoors, whether it's biking, hiking or skiing; and in 10 or so weeks of lockdown have yet to be bored - whether hiking locally (in woods on our doorstep) or cycling from the door. We are lucky that we can access the County Durham countryside and coast from home and have missed walking or biking on only 7 days since March - 1 due to injury, 2 through the weather and 4 days (the last 4) due to retiling the kitchen rolling eyes .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For anyone in the UK, the cost and difficulty of getting to the slopes can mean there's unconscious pressure to make the most of all that expenditure of money and effort, and to buy a period pass and ski every day, come what may. Now we're semi-retired and can go for longer, and more often, as well as visit in the spring, summer and autumn, we're much more relaxed about whether to ski on any particular day or not. I've met the same attitude from colleagues who live and work around Lake Geneva: because it's so much easier, they pick and choose when to ski far more, and have a higher expectation of conditions. Over a season, they'll do more excursions, but their total number of skiing days isn't that high.

So what you describe is not unusual. Perhaps you should consider a more mixed holiday? Try some snowshoeing. We became fans after giving it a try on a particularly bad weather week and enjoyed it a lot. You get away from the crowds very quickly, but often still remain relatively near to the resort, and it's great and very steady exercise. ANd a day's saved ski pass can be spent on other things. Even if you use the lifts, the pedestrian pass will be cheaper, plus your perspective changes completely.

Bigger resorts usually have good swimming facilities and I'll never forget taking a day off in Verbier and swimming into the outdoor section, where it was snowing heavily. Thermal resorts like Ovronnaz lead on the spa experience, with skiing as an additional icing on the cake, as opposed to the principal attraction. There are loads of thermal/wellness resorts in the Alps and they're not all hideously-expensive five-star places: many are there to cater for those who want something more mixed.

How about staying somewhere where you can take a day out and do some cultural exploration? Crans is right above the mediaeval city of Sion. Verbier is right near the Roman city of Martigny. And so on. You don't have to choose a purpose-built resort in a remote location that locks you into skiing and nothing else. I'm not saying skiing every day is wrong, just that it's not everyone's cup of tea and there are more mixed holidays that you can construct.
latest report
@NewSki, Perhaps skiing is just not for you. I know people who love hiking and those who are bored by it. I even know some people who enjoy swimming, yet it bores me. Perhaps you are the same with skiing.

Having said that somedays I have been bored with skiing, particularly in resorts where all the runs are the same. Think Andora. Think endless blue cruises. After all just standing on skis watching the world go by can get boring.

In those circumstances I try and change my skiing, concentrate of some aspect of my skiing: better drive out of turns, better pole plants, going faster, going slower, making beautiful tracks in the snow, following the exact line my son takes, going for the biggest bump run, heading into the trees etc. all help getting back into the fun of skiing and the pleasure of getting better at something.
latest report
@NewSki, As others have said, you may be focusing too much on the skiing element of it and not making the most of the whole 'skiing holiday experience'. i.e. the eating, drinking and spending time with friends doing something fun. The pleasure of a sailing holiday is only partly about pulling ropes and helming. It's about much more than that.

@LaForet, I'm guessing that NewSki is relatively young if he/she has only been five times. Twenties or thirties? If so, then I'm not sure that snowshoeing, spa days or cultural trips will necessarily float his/her boat.
snow conditions
It could be because you haven't been to @rob@rar's favourite ski resort yet.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1441482
ski holidays
@foztrotzulu I suppose all I was really trying to convey was that for someone - of any age - who is says they're OK but a bit bored after a few days, then a winter holiday doesn't have to be exclusively skiing all day, every day. Something along the lines of asking themselves the questions "Well, if I was visiting the Alps in the summer, what would I like to do?" and then adding some skiing into the mix as well: of course, the answer might be that they wouldn't visit the Alps in the summer ....

The corollary would be a summer cycling holiday: For some people, it's doing long distances and challenging climbs, staying at a different place each night. For others, it might be staying in one place and pottering around. And for others, a way of visiting 2-3 cultural centres with a bit of exercise thrown in.
ski holidays
I'm guessing that you are following others around in a group.

Look out for someone skiing like you aspire to and head off on your own to learn your own style.
ski holidays
A lot of it is about the resort size. Some people are very happy to repeat the same run mutiple times. Personally, I may not be much of a skier but I like travelling and exploring and getting different views. May be go to a different resort for a day out. So, take Kirchberg as a base, a day or two days to skiwelt, two or three days to kitzbuhel, making sure you travel to Pass Thurn and see the views from the top there, may be a half day on Kitzbuelerhorn, I think lifts have improved since the last time I went there, and then may be a day in St Johann. All on the same upgrade lift pass with links by bus /train. I believe Fieberbrunn is doable as well from there by train but have never been comfident enough to know how to get from the train station to the slopes so have not tried it. This is one of the things ski resort are incredibly bad about.

and then if the weather is a bit manky, may be an afternoon wander along one of the well signed and maintained winter walking paths or may be a quick visit to the centre of Kitzbuhel and a coffee and cake in one of the lovely patisseries/coffee shops there.

or, if you go the Zillertal and stay fairly close to the railway you have a choice of different resorts to visit on a daily basis and explore on the same lift pass. Dont think Mayrhofen is a Kitzbuhel type town; it is not. Unlike many, I found it intensely disappointing.

If you wanted day off Innsbruck is easily doable for a day trip from either and Salzburg as a bit of a schlepp but doable. I have to say that on my return from skiing this year I had half a day to kill in Salzburg and really enjoyed it - bigger and grander than I remember from a previous visit. Might have been better weather helped as well than wth a previous visit.
snow report
It’s not unusual - in fact common - to get a feeling of malaise, once the initial euphoria of the first two or three days of a skiing holiday has been exhausted. It’s the same thing with drugs.
I’ve often observed this with our guests. They arrive full of excited anticipation of the week ahead. The malaise sets in on Wednesday, partly psychological and partly just physical tiredness.
After a day in bed, or lounging or mooching around, or visiting Salzburg or Zell am See, or trying something different like boarding or skiing (if already a boarder), or snowshoe walking, or skidooing, or tobogganing, or a sleigh ride, the realisation hits that there are only two days left, and some degree of enthusiasm returns to make the most of them, but tinged with a weary resignation that time is running out.
It’s sad to see the gradual dissipation of the initial bright-eyed excitement over the course of a week, but isn’t it the same with many of life’s experiences - and sometimes even with life itself? The gleeful realisation of dreams can be superseded by a feeling of deflated anti-climax, or a “come-down”, following by the dawning of grim reality and the realisation that it’s coming to an end.
The only antidotes that I can think of are a really unexpectedly great day’s skiing mid-week - perhaps enhanced by unusually good weather/conditions, or inspirational company (perhaps a good instructor or guide), or the comforting knowledge that you have another skiing holiday to look forward to in the same season.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Time to go steeper and deeper.

Head offpiste into the "you fall, you die" zone.

Somewhere like Chamonix or La Grave, in France.

Mix it up.
MorningGory wrote:
@Whitegold, Great idea for someone with 5 trips under his belt rolling eyes

Perhaps La Grave maybe a bit extreme. But definitely a right direction to go off-piste!

There're many resorts that has "free ride zones" where one can go off the boringly bashed pistes without avalanche concern. As an american, I totally can't understand how skiers in the continent can go week after weeks of skiing ONLY on cruising mindlessly on perfectly smooth prepared pistes. I may enjoy such cruising for a few days. But after that, it's all the same.

That said, it's entirely possible as others puts it "you like skiing a bit, but not a lot". If so, find something else to do to mix it up. Not everyone has to like the same thing and/or to the same level. rolling eyes
snow report
@abc, the pistes in europe aren't that perfect Very Happy

For me, it's more a case of not having the skills to go off piste, and with limited hols available, not having the time to learn or indeed worry about it too much! Maybe if I was younger, lighter and fitter....
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
Could be tiredness, or possibly a lack of challenge (if you always feel you're skiing within yourself)?

But also, it could simply be that you like skiing a bit, as opposed to a lot!

Typically we go on snow holidays with a bit of skiing, rather than ski holidays, whereas most on here probably go on ski holidays and that's the primary focus, with every day on the slopes.

Its a holiday and your choice, so don't feel you have to grab the first lift up and last run down, we never do!

Also, sometimes I board and ski on alternate days (well I say sometimes, I've only actually done that once, but have often switched just for the last day).

In short, don't feel pressured to do whatever everyone else does, its your holiday and as long as you come out of it having had a good time, thats really all that matters.

Skiing within myself cold be a possibility! I'm the type to be first on and last off the slope as I enjoy it
latest report
For a working class lad like myself I had a tremendous buzz when I first went skiing in my mid twenties and absolutely loved it. Growing up, skiing was beyond my wildest dreams.

I then distinctly remember on my fifth trip that I was getting bored. It was a feeling that I did not want to admit to myself at first, but I had to recognise it.

That same week I was introduced to off piste skiing for the first time and to me it felt like rediscovering the sport all over again. That week would have been about forty five years ago and I am still loving it.
snow report
admin wrote:

IME, if I'm entirely on my own, I may be looking for options, for variety after 3 or 4 days, whereas on the bashes, with all the company to choose from, I'm spoilt for choice and the week flies by without a 2nd thought snowHead

a mixture of both, but I feel I'm the most competent out of my fellow skiers, maybe I'm skiing at their level?
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I have an extraordinarily high capacity for skiing but also have days when I'm bored by it. Turning left and right down the same old type of runs can get boring at times. But next day I'm usually up for it again. But in the case of someone who hasn't skied much then

A Improving or
B Recognising you aren't that into it which is ok

Are both valid options. I'd bet on A though.

so lessons here in the UK?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe - depends where you are. You certainly seem to meet the profile for Inside Out and I'd bet they could find ways of challenging you and making you a better skier if you were within reach of Hemel.
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:
admin wrote:

a mixture of both, but I feel I'm the most competent out of my fellow skiers, maybe I'm skiing at their level?

That's it!

You're skiing at a level that's no longer exciting for YOU.

Time to step it up.

Also, soon'ish you'll need new skiing mates if your current ones can't keep up with you. Wink Natural progressing of things.
latest report
Sounds like you need to try something a little more interesting.
If as I suspect you are relatively young, you'll probably find repeat visits to the same ski areas a little samey.

Try a new ski area, doesn't have to be as large as the ski circus, but should have a better variety of terrain, probably with a higher proportion of Black and ski routes. Set your self challenges within the resort, remember its not really about high KM's, its about the buzz, and achieving..
ski holidays
Perhaps adding to your boredom is what we call the "day four blues", where the excitement has worn off and you're worn out. Take that day off and rest and sightsee, and then go hit it hard once your mojo returns.

The other thing is: when did you last fail at skiing? Go spend time getting better at whatever whipped you. Your improvement will enlarge the ski area.
latest report
The day 4 blues is definitely a thing. Used to like the North America ticket system where you bought 5 days from 7, so you don't feel gypped if you do want a day off. Would go off and do a trip walking, snow shoeing, sledding or touring the area or similar.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
The other thing is: when did you last fail at skiing? Go spend time getting better at whatever whipped you.

OMG, I love this - it’s such an obvious idea (and something I do) but never heard it said quite like that. Bravo,@Scooter in Seattle!
snow conditions
Very good points but I guess just ski for as long you like it, you can find shorter ski breaks nowadays. Same happens to my summer holidays, after 4 days of nothing to do and oven-like temperatures boredom and discomfort hits hard and my crave to return home begins. No such thing happens with skiing but I do apply most of the points above. I’m constantly under challenge while skiing being that off piste or drills - a lot of drills.
snow report
@NewSki, you clearly don't know what you are doing wrong so don't know how to get it right...not much fun skiing on a plateau.
ski holidays
Ideally, I would spend 4-5 weeks a year on ski trips (actually more than that but I'm being realistic) but I still get bored occasionally.
Skiing alone is the main time for boredom.
The snowheads bashes are excellent for finding like minded / ability ski buddies and it is easy to tag onto one of the many styles of group that form according to style and ability
ski holidays
Shorter ski trips ? This is a luxury those living in Scotland, or even northern England, have with weekend skiing in easy day range.

Or try something new? 20 years ago I took up telemark skiing. I was getting a bit bored with alpine after 30 years and decided snowboarding wasn’t for me. I’ve hardly put a set of alpine boots or bindings back on since then but still enjoy the challenge of tele.
latest report
@NewSki, how long does this boredom last? That is to say after 3 days you "can't be bothered" for the rest of the week?

And what does "can't be bothered" mean? You don't go skiing? Or you ski only a little? Or you ski very lazily?

Like others I am not immune from a bit of boredom - I think it's naturally. But I've done 15 days on the spin a couple of times and generally ski 7/8 days straight.

I guy at work did ask me at work once if I didn't get bored skiing all day, every day, for a week. Which made me ponder. But I find the variability of conditions, especially off piste and the challenge and the fun that goes with it a constant. But I don't think a spell of relative boredom is a surprise.

Skiing somewhere different or with different people always ramps up the interest too but knowing exactly your group, the terrain also has it's plusses.
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, You must have very sad summer holidays - why not try via ferrata in the Dolomites, or Mountain Biking in France (actually I get bored doing that), or a walk (I gather GR20 in Corsica is rather nice) or perhaps one of the Neilsen Beach clubs if you want a leisurely holiday (we did sport climbing, moutain biking, windsurfing and dinghy sailing in their Croatian centre)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy