Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks - Phil Smith - All Terrain Course March 2006

Poster: A snowHead
There've been a few reviews of/threads on Phil Smith's Snoworks courses on sH already:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5223
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=99508
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10746

The quality of his offering is irrefutable and imho excellent value to boot. I haven’t had a lot of instruction in recent years but was determined to do a higher-level course this season and narrowed my choices to Phil or Warren Smith. Though they don’t really offer identical products Snoworks won out largely because Tignes suited my circumstances better than Verbier, and I’d’ve been very happy to do either. Madeye-Smiley

I wanted to do an All-Terrain course rather than one which concentrated on a specific aspect of skiing. Most Snoworks courses are mornings only but I chose the only all-day one on offer as I thought my skiing needed that much more work wink. An accommodation package was available at the Hotel Curling but I didn’t take this up.

The course ran over 5 days with an evening meeting pre-course on the Sunday. This gave everyone a chance to meet each other and the instructors for the week. There were a lot of alumni who were reacquainting as well as a few newbies like me. There were just over 20 participants on this course, of all ages but mostly middle-aged and men Confused. The instructors for the week were:

Phil Smith himself
Mark Jones - Trainer for the British Association of Snowsports Instructors and runs Mountain Masters, Val D'Isere
John Arnold – ex-Director of Coaching for Snowsport Scotland
(Emma CA was on a course working towards completing her instructors qualifications) Sad

There is a minimum standard for most Snoworks courses which is what they refer to as Level 4 – Adventurous Intermediates / Advanced so capable of “ ‘reds’ at a good pace whatever the conditions and ‘easy blacks’. Difficult ‘blacks’, bumps or going off-piste, hmm, definitely need some work!” On the first evening everyone was asked to confirm which levels from 4-6 they felt they belonged in. Most people put down ‘level 4/5’! I put down level 4 Toofy Grin. Safety kit (transceiver, probe, shovel in a rucksack) was issued to every participant.

I was lucky enough to have Phil teaching me in the bottom of 3 groups of 7. Most in the group were level 4 but there were a couple of members who whilst clearly not very technically capable were very fit Shocked, and another who mid-week Phil almost made other arrangements for (if you’ve over-stretched yourself he very occasionally is forced to make other arrangements for you satisfactory to all parties) but who had really gelled with the group and whose absence would’ve changed the group’s dynamics.

Phil’s philosophy is simple but extremely effective. He fully admits it’s not entirely original, and indeed commonly utilized by the more progressive ski schools in one form or another, but he has a way of presenting, thinking about and teaching it that makes it very clear and is highly effective. It was quite amazing during the week to see how his techniques could be easily taught to and used by the weaker in our group to ski safely off-piste! He also has that talent essential to all good ski teachers, the ability to judge his students capabilities and diagnose their weaknesses accurately. I’ve always been quite introspective about my skiing and he certainly had insights into my technique, not immediately apparent to the untrained eye, which not only matched my own, but further enlightened me as to my errors. It was also amazing that when he was looking at members of the group ski down and predicting that they were getting into trouble and would fall, a fall would inevitably happen Madeye-Smiley. He could tell that a fall was coming before they and certainly I could, and yell out ‘Stop!’ or ‘Don’t turn!’. At first each would ignore him and invariably fall, but they soon learned to listen Laughing and he’d tell them how to recover instead. He’s also a thoroughly good bloke. Very Happy

At the end of the first morning, he promoted me out of his group. I went reluctantly. I spent the afternoon with the middle group, which apart from not having any technically very weak skiers, was fitter. I got tired and as I don’t believe you can learn technique when tired asked to be demoted, which Phil kindly but reluctantly agreed to (ok, I admit I can sometimes be a pain in the Little Angel). He felt I needed to be pushed more and if it had been only half-day lessons I might’ve been more inclined to go with it but I was also keen to stay in his group, despite excellent reports of the other two instructors from the other participants.

We spent the week being taught the 3 fundamental ways to turn a ski in all the conditions available. Half our time was on-piste and half off-piste. We were taught to vary intensity and duration of pressure on piste and its application to powder and deeper snow of varying heaviness off-piste. We were taught twisting and side-scraping on a smooth icy piste and its application to moguls. We were taught to cyclically extend and retract each leg and its application to carving. We made lots of fresh tracks on the powder days despite the relative inexperience of the group. We were taught drills for each and something of how, where and when to blend the techniques. Video analysis was used to slightly embarassing but very telling effect. The course meal was great and lots of laughs were had by all. It was without doubt the best ski teaching experience I’ve yet had. He gave me lots to think about and go away with and try to incorporate into my skiing. I’ll definitely be back for more. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-04-06 15:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am also a big fan. Here's a review I wrote a while back, when they were operating under a different name: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=7944&highlight=course#7944
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidS, thanks, I'd found your excellent review here before and it was certainly one of the things which helped to convince me to go with Snoworks, but I couldn't find it today Blush or I'd definitely have linked into it at the top of my report rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good report slikedges, I'm defo going to go on one of these next year tho I don't think I can persuade Mr C to come with me so will probably have to do it by myself - waheyyyyy, freedom! wink I don't think I'm confident or able enough to go on the all-terrain so will book the easy course for those who have probs on blacks. I think I'd find all-day instruction too tiring. Just waiting until they bring out their schedule for next year (or at least its not on their website yet). I want to try to go on one at the beg of the season so I can build on what I've learnt within a few months without having to wait all year - my time is going to be really tight though next winter but if there is something in Jan that would be ideal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cathy Coins, I went before Christmas to Tignes - was a good way of making the most of not great snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cathy Coins, yes, I'm waiting for their schedule too. Will prob do a race or off-piste week in March though. Would like to go to Courchevel though in an effort to improve my kids' ski-school experience so I'll have to see what's available when.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges,
Very interesting report and something that it sounds like I could do with as my technique is a lacking and I have not taken a series of lessons as opposed to the odd lesson for a long time.

As a matter of interest what are the three fundamental ways of turning a ski? Without getting technical as I never understand the threads when folk get technical. Puzzled

PS having had a look at their progeamme I would consider St Anton as well if you are interested in childrens ski school. Our kids have always enjoyed Austrian ski school and with the numbers they get at St Anton there should be no problems with appropriate levels for the children.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, Great report. That March off-piste course sound interesting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, pressure/pushing on the ski, twisting/pivoting and edging the skis. Phil gets you to try to do each in isolation, with as little of the other two as possible, so you can feel the difference, and then use combinations to varying degrees as appropriate. Thanks for the tip on St.Anton - will look into it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges,
Thanks, I didn't think my own technique of chucking the body around and hoping the skis follow would count, but I had never realised that edging could be seperated from pressuring, probably shows that I don't really edge Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the review. I've also enjoyed instruction with Phil and his colleagues, and happily recommend their courses to others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, Excellent report, but you'd already convinced me anyway Toofy Grin I have already ordered my brochure for next season, as this sounds just the ticket. Very Happy I skied in a level 4 group with Summit Ski School in Zermatt, not sure that is the same as their level 4 though. Confused I am hoping that my SO and I are level 4 as I would very much like to do the All-Terrain Course - possibly Hintertux. We can both ski easy blacks, and can ski reds quite fast - so fingers crossed snowHead

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 25-04-06 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, I'm sure you'd have no problem whatsoever coping with the course Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, Phil emailed me that he brochure is in the post, and I am now trying to get fit and convince my SO Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges,

How was John? He had two accidents this year. Last time I saw him was in January after the first. Sad

Bod.
latest report
BOD, John Arnold? He didn't mention an injury to me, but I didn't spend much time with him. What I would say is if that's how the guy can ski with an injury, I'd love to see how he skis without one!! Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
T Bar, Look at the BASI website - I think you'll find the diagram in there somewhere. Edge, pressure and turn are the three elements and you can change the order of these to suit the circumstances etc. I don't know how to put a diagram in here so I can't do it for you, but think of a circle, divided into three with one of these elements in each section and you'll have it. Little Angel
latest report
easiski, didn't Phil Smith write most of the Central Theme stuff for BASI a few years ago?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, yes! However the concept of PET, TEP or EPT has been around longer than him I think! I did shadow a group of trainers once in Aviemore who were all trying (under Phil's guidance) to make turns with the different orders - very interesting: the older ones like Kenny Dixon and Alan Hole could start the turn on the edge, and the younger ones like Pete Kuval and Mike ??? couldn't pivot to start the turn!! Phil could do it all, but the ability to do it all was his baby, and the idea of teaching foot skills was his. (AFAIK) Very Happy
snow report
easiski,
Quote:

However the concept of PET, TEP or EPT has been around longer than

Wasn't it John Shedden - Skilful Skiing ? Puzzled
latest report
ski, that's where i first read it, still got the book 1983 reprint! Of course I only bought the book for the pictures of the girl in the red boots and white bikini...
snow report
ski, I'm sure you're right. I've got the book, but it's currently buried under a pile of stuff so I can't check. John has certainly been a very original thinker in his time, and is not often credited (by BASI).
snow report
easiski,
Couldn't find any instruction on the BASI website, but thanks for trying. To be honest though I struggle to understand how to do any sport from books. I have a few old instructional skiing books but don't really know how I turn, just point skis in new direction after unweighting I guess.
latest report
T Bar, Aah - sorry about lack of stuff on their website (I'm not a member any more), but I thought they had some of their manual stuff on it - now I know better! You shouldn't refer to old instructional books anyway now, as they'll all be pre-carvers - nice to keep for souveniers though. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:

To be honest though I struggle to understand how to do any sport from books. I have a few old instructional skiing books but don't really know how I turn, just point skis in new direction after unweighting I guess.

don't fret t-bar... I'm a uber-geek re ski instruction... I need to understand it all to be able to think about even moving.... I keep special instructors just to fill in the gaps(translate??) the bits the others are not quite sure about (or if 2 seem to not agree).... I have had ski school directors comment on my technical knowledge... most instructors find me a bit "weird" to deal with - at least until they have taught me a couple of lessons and work out how I function....

but even I have reached a point where I'm trying to tell a friend who is an instructor trainer what I learnt in a certain lesson and I'm saying "ummmm i dunno he made me move my shoulder and it felt heaps better"

I really could not put the whole thing into good perspective.... very NOT like me.... the trainer friend was happy as he thinks maybe I'm getting more brain connections and so not so reliant on "conscious" process to control skiing

It is not that I did NOT understand what i was doing and why - but more that I was so focused on achieving the outcome that I let go of the technical crap... and so it is there but fuzzy where normally it is crystal clear...

Luckily my trainer friend can a) translate my mutterings and b) has enough sense not to push for detail and c) is a good enough skier/instructor to rework my mumbles into something sensible for me if I need it again
snow conditions
Snoworks' schedule for next season is out now - I really wanted to go on an Easy Terrain week but they only have 3 weeks, beg of Dec, Feb when I'm on jury service and the end of March - can't do & not much use for improving my skiing next season.

So it looks like its Tignes 2-9 Dec for me. I do feel this is taking a bit of a chance so early on in the season but don't really have much choice. Can anyone reassure me that my money won't be wasted even if the snow's bad? Anyone else thinking of going this week? Mr C not going so will be on my lonesome Toofy Grin
snow conditions
cathy, I am hoping to do one of these courses - probably the All Terrain, if my skiing skills are up to it. Confused I sent for the brochure but it didn't have those new dates in it - so thanks for the link Very Happy . I am also tempted with early season skiing as this would set me up for the rest of the season snowHead Will be going with my SO if I can convince him of the merrits of the course and parting with his hard earned cash. snowHead
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, that would be great if you & Mr Incog were to go that week! Toofy Grin My persuasion skills have been sadly lacking but it'll be quite fun to go away by myself anyway Very Happy

Any other SHs fancy an Early Season Ski??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, A snoworks holiday is ideal if you're holidaying alone - if we do go that week I'll let you know though snowHead I was kinda hoping for Hintertux, but it isn't available early on for the All terrain course, but they do have a technical course, but it doesn't say what that is yet rolling eyes However, we can do Austria later on in the season Very Happy
snow report
Yeah - I was hoping for Austria in Jan - but this plays well into my hands for getting 4 weeks' skiing in Twisted Evil . Cos of course Mr C has to have his week away in Jan & then we have 2 weeks in Canada in March, hopefully. Don't quite know how I'm going to pay for it all though......
snow conditions
cathy, I thought it quite reasonable, and tried to look on the easyjet website for prices (the price does NOT include flights, but does include transfers), but the site was playing silly boogers and not bringing up Bournemouth. I also rang snoworks today to enquire of a few more details, they were unable to answer them, but I was given Phil Smith's mob No and I have left a message and now waitiong for a reply. Very Happy

I also visited that place to get the historical snow reports. I am sure the upper slopes will be OK, but the lower ones could be iffy. Confused But this is one of the things I wanted to speak to Phil about, so I will hopefully found out more later.
snow report
IncogSkiSno, let me know if you hear anything more. I think its probably one of those things you just have to take a chance on - I've committed myself to it mentally now anyway! I looked at easyjet flights & it looked like flights for then aren't out yet, they only go up to Oct. They do supply a transfer but it looks like it costs an extra £70 return - don't they have a lardy bus?? wink
snow conditions
They're just finalising the package details for the week of 2-9 Dec - and it looks like it will be 2-10 Dec!! Whoopeeeee, an extra day! snowHead It will also be a package with flight included, although of course own flights can be arranged.
snow conditions
OK - it's booked! Nothing like booking 2 holidays in 2 days Very Happy . Just have to count down how many days until 2 Dec......
snow report
cathy, Hey well done, may see you there then wink
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I hope so!! Very Happy
ski holidays
cathy, I'm sure you'll enjoy your week with Phil and his colleagues. I've just booked a course with Snoworks in November.
snow report
Thanks rob@rar.org.uk, I hope so! Are you going to Tignes?
latest report
cathy, yes, for a week's GS tuition. I've enjoyed the last couple of times I've done this course, and it's nice to get the season started early Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
...it's nice to get the season started early Smile

Just what I thought! And no point doing it the end of the season. Have fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy