Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do I get bored?

Poster: A snowHead
Much may depend on the resort. Different daily itineraries and different lunchtime venues stave off boredom.
I remember getting bored on a two week holiday in Verbier (which seems surprising, in view of all the positive reviews that we read). It seemed to be a daily alternating choice between Medran and Savoleyres, with the occasional foray to Bruson. It all seemed to get repetitive. Maybe it was the company (ex-wife).
Surprisingly I can’t remember being bored in some smaller resorts - again probably because of the company and the opportunity for conversation, laughs and banter.
In large areas, such as 3Vs, PDS, Paradiski, and the Ski Circus, it’s possible to plan a different itinerary every day, so boredom should never be a factor on a one week holiday.
As I’m now spending the whole season in Saalbach, I’m occasionally asked whether boredom is a problem, but I can’t honestly say that it is. There are enough different corners of the area, and different itineraries to do, and mountain restaurants to visit, to maintain interest - although choice and variety of companions is also important.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, Do you just get a Ski Circus season pass or do you go Salzburg Superski? Considering options given my ski trips next winter might be a couple of longer drive outs supplemented by shorter fly-outs if possible (or advisable)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
@Gustavobs, You must have very sad summer holidays - why not try via ferrata in the Dolomites, or Mountain Biking in France (actually I get bored doing that), or a walk (I gather GR20 in Corsica is rather nice) or perhaps one of the Neilsen Beach clubs if you want a leisurely holiday (we did sport climbing, moutain biking, windsurfing and dinghy sailing in their Croatian centre)

Not sad but boring after a few days(there exceptions for the rule such as the Maldives since I could do scuba diving and many water sports on the island).

But those options sound really nice that's not the summer holiday OH fancies and she gets to choose the single summer trip since I manage the many winter ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, we’ve never previously brought our car in winter - always flown - so have always contented ourselves with the Ski Alpin season pass (for around EUR 500), which covers the Ski Circus, Zell am See and Kaprun.
Obviously, with the opening of the new link to Zell am See last season, the possibilities have been greatly increased, and without a car at our disposal there was certainly enough to keep us entertained in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn-Zell am See area, without considering lashing out on the Salzburg Super Ski pass.
However, we’ve just bought an Austrian car, which opens up new possibilities next season, so we’ll give it some thought. Klammfranzer keeps enthusing about Maria Alm, so it seems a shame to restrict ourselves to the local area, although I suspect that the number of times we would be inclined to drive to further-flung resorts might be limited, as we have 408km of interlinked skiing literally at our doorstep (and, as previously mentioned, don’t seem to get bored with it).
Much will no doubt depend on where you’re staying, and how much of a wanderlust you have.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I totally can't understand how skiers in the continent can go week after weeks of skiing ONLY on cruising mindlessly on perfectly smooth prepared pistes. I may enjoy such cruising for a few days. But after that, it's all the same.

As a brit that rides pretty much exclusively in n America now I feel the same. When conditions are bad off-piste after a few days I'm pretty bored of groomers. So my advice would also be to get off-piste (easier said than done in Europe compared to avy controlled in bounds of n America).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess it's personal.

Indoor slopes are pretty boring. I listen to music and keep trips as short.

Small resorts can get tedious. When I've been stuck with those I would learn something knew - snowboarding, noboarding, whatever.

My mates who live at resorts don't go out when conditions aren't excellent, you could always try that. My own approach is to ensure I've gear which works in all conditions... so if it's hard pack, I have a race-board for that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Not sad but boring after a few days

Sorry I said that. I meant that it is sad you are bored on holiday. A holiday is the one time in the year you shouldn't be bored.

It was my wife who got me into via ferrata when she saw the front page of a Climber and Rambler magazine which should a magnificent rock face with nothing but a long line of iron bars stuck into it from the first world war. That summer we loaded up our motor bikes with camping gear and off we went. Our gear was terrible with a length of rope tied around our middles and a Krab on each end. No helmets, no proper ferrata brakes so a fall would have resulted in a broken back. The gear lever fell off my BSA so I Jerry rigged a mole wrench and a piece of wire to change gear. We have improved kit now, drive or hire a car, stay in hotels or huts but somehow never maanage the difficulty and excitement of the early trips.

My wife also persuaded me to take up sailing, scuba diving, windsurfing and critically for this forum - Skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

so lessons here in the UK?

Yes! This is a good place to start. Plastic lessons cheaper than a snowdome (when they re-open). Ask for an experienced instructor/coach (BASI L3 or similar). If you are a teeny bit competative, then the race club at your nearest dryslope will be an economical and fun way to improve, and keep improving.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I totally can't understand how skiers in the continent can go week after weeks of skiing ONLY on cruising mindlessly on perfectly smooth prepared pistes. I may enjoy such cruising for a few days. But after that, it's all the same.

As a brit that rides pretty much exclusively in n America now I feel the same. When conditions are bad off-piste after a few days I'm pretty bored of groomers. So my advice would also be to get off-piste (easier said than done in Europe compared to avy controlled in bounds of n America).

Most people don't get bored after a few days of skiing in a large resort. Weeks after weeks, yes. But not just a few days.

So I suspect the OP maybe skiing below his level.

If so, it only takes a few bump runs, which quite a few mountains in Europe now have "free ride" zones, or "itineraries". No worry on avy danger, just a quick introduction on off-piste techniques. (or rather, applying the correct technique on uneven surfaces).

Or, the OP's ski mates are boring. We can't help with that. Or rather, we CAN help by suggesting he join a snowhead bash. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Most people don't get bored after a few days of skiing in a large resort. Weeks after weeks, yes. But not just a few days.

Perhaps I'm the exception then, like I said after a couple of days of pistes I'm bored. It's just not enough variety for me.

Quote:

So I suspect the OP maybe skiing below his level.

Exactly, pistes only get boring and are not significantly challenging enough (unless you have access to closed pistes where you could safely push the boundaries a bit).

I would be interested to see what a freeride zone or itinerary actually looks like. Is it a big area with cliffs, trees, chutes, interesting lines (e.g. spankies ladder at Whistler) or is it just a boring strip that is left to form bumps?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

just a boring strip that is left to form bumps?

All the itineraries I've done are bump fields.

But there's quite often a reason why it was "left to bump up". That reason maybe why it's worth skiing. So it isn't exactly the same "boring" runs you'll see that got bashed to death.

I haven't done any free ride zones yet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boarder2020, I presume there are piste skiers, off piste dabblers (in bounds), lift served off piste obsessives (in bounds) and back country skiers (tourers) in America, same as there is here.

And whilst the middle two of those in America do not have to consider avalanche safety (knowledge + equipment) I think the difference can be overplayed. For a start there is a lot of mellow off piste, secondly a bit of genning up gets you a long way, third the security guys do blast to take away the worst of the risks and do put up warnings when the risk is high. It's still within their domain even if "it's at your own risk".

So anyway yeah, freeride zones/itenaries aren't that big/common and are by definition quite mellow, quite heavily tracked. I have no problem finding my own lines. Going with a guide gets you a bit further.

And kinda bringing it back a little, I used to be dead keen on going to new places but now I've kind of flipped the other way. Knowing the lift system, the pistes and the best off piste lines really well is actually a good thing and enables you to ski relaxed, make the best of the conditions and concentrated on having fun. I've been to Paradiski, what a dozen/15 times now, and I'll probably be back there at Christmas!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@boarder2020, I presume there are piste skiers, off piste dabblers (in bounds), lift served off piste obsessives (in bounds) and back country skiers (tourers) in America, same as there is here.

Not really.

There’s no distinction between piste skiers vs off-piste dabblers in N. America. They’re both “primary piste skiers”. (No such thing as piste skier who doesn’t dabble a bit of off-piste)

Then, there’s the latter two: off-piste obsessive and bc tourers.

(In fact, there’s no such concept of “off-piste” in North America. Some piste are bashed daily, some every few days, some allowed to bump up between bashing which only happen once every few weeks! In North America, you can’t say you’re a black “piste” skiers. For 90% of black runs are NOT bashed most days)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No such thing as piste skier who doesn’t dabble a bit of off-piste

I would say this is largely true in North America. Like abc says the concept is a little different as runs marked on the trail map may or may not be groomed, so nobody would describe themselves as a piste or non-piste skier. If you were to say my friend just sticks to the groomers the assumption would likely be your friend is a beginner/bad at skiing/old. The majority of people are using all mountain or powder skis not piste skis. I think the overall mindset to skiing is different (more sport/performance than recreational/holiday), but that's a whole different conversation and probably varies as much by resort as country (the deer valley crew are not keeping up with the Chamonix lot).

The really hardcore tourers are generally not seen in resorts, they will go elsewhere.

You best believe even those of us that are not interested in off-piste get excited when the grooming report shows that run that only gets groomed a couple of times a season got done last night.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abc, you have a mistaken conception of what a piste actually consists of in France (It is a French word). It is a marked run that is assessed and patrolled. It may or may not be bashed. In fact most of the blacks in les arcs are never bashed. Therefore you may be a black piste skier in that you spend most of your time on these pretty big mogul fields . An off piste skier will have avalanche gear, and some mountaineering skills.
Being called a piste doesn't mean that it is bashed.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@NewSki, It could be you are going to a small resort and feel like you are flogging th pe same runs again and again. Try somewhere bigger/elsewhere.

More likely you are just looking at it all the wrong way. Skiing is just a Very pleasurable way of travelling from one bar/restaurant to another in the company of good friends.

It was at this realisation when I gave snowboarding a try and realised that it wasn't actually the skiing itself which I'd been enjoying, albeit less and less with each trip, it was the being in the mountains, the views, the speed, the chairlift chats and the adventure of exploring an enormous domain. Skiing had just become the vehicle through which I could enjoy the other aspects. Then when I made my first turns on a board I discovered that I enjoyed the act itself, which has been a massive bonus. From the moment I put on my first pair of snowboard boots, I literally have never put on ski boots again. Anyway I digress and I'm not saying snowboarding is better, more that it was my way to continue (enhance) my love of ski trips.

Of course there's nothing wrong with not enjoying the activity itself. E.g. Let's be honest, how many people here actually enjoy a dry slope? It's about the whole thing, so mix it up on your next trip and when you find a nice spot, go and explore, grab a coffee or a beer, or a picnic and admire the views etc.

Another great way to enjoy it is to spend some time looking at the map in the morning and deciding where you want to go/what you want to see and that day and then seeing if you can tick it off. For some reason I get great satisfaction from that. Usually by identifying the highest peaks and then what the longest run possible from that peak is etc.
snow report
@johnE, that's actually what I noticed skiing in 3 Valley, the only French resort I've been! That there're unbashed pistes!

But reading the UK centric snowhead posts, I got the impression that's the exception rather than the rule?

johnE wrote:
[b]most of the blacks in les arcs are never bashed.
If France is so liberal in not smoothing out every single ripple on piste, why aren't people go to France for that? It's a lot more convenient than the 10 hr flight to North America! Not to mention a lot less expensive.
latest report
@abc, all the unbashed pistes are shown as "Natur" on the Paradiski piste map:

https://piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Paradiski-Piste-Map-2019.pdf

Other areas don't make it so clear or have so many I would say. I've never skied there but Italy is supposed to be immaculately groomed.

I think people go to America for all sorts of reasons.
latest report
I was pleasantly surprised by The Stash in Morzine, a few hundred metres through the trees with marked trails or pick your own way between them, plus jumps and rails etc. Reminded me of the freedom of the Banff resorts that I love so much.

For the OP; I take lessons for everything; steeps, bumps, jumps etc. But they aren’t as much fun on my own so perhaps company is an important part.
snow report
Ryunis wrote:
Let's be honest, how many people here actually enjoy a dry slope?

I do!

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I PREFER it to skiing on snow, but I DO enjoy skiing our dry slope.
It’s open 7 days a week, and almost year-round aside from a couple of weeks in the summer when they give the slopes a good deep clean and re-lay the matting. On average, I’ve been going twice week since May 2015, so I think that speaks for itself.

Obviously, it’s been closed since lockdown - but fingers crossed, it should be opening again soon!
snow conditions
Some people are just easily bored with life in general. And constantly having to search for some new fix.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy