Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmer Ski Days Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
hi as we're in the middle of some good sales I thought I'd tap up the collective wisdom. My jacket is insulated and therefore has been too warm for me especially in the French Alps over the last couple of years on some days. Has anyone got a recommendation for a lighter jacket that will still be decent for skiing and someoffpiste (although lift accessed and not hiked) when it's a bit warmer. Quite like the idea from a style point of view of a anorak over the head sort of thing.

Thanks Rich
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
got a price range? I've had an Arcteryx Stingray shell that has done me from -20 to +20 and kept me warm and dry with appropriate layering. Used it touring, in the rain at Glencoe and the heavy snows of Japan Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not entirely sure on price range - happy to look at different options really. I've ended up wearing hoodies on warmer days but would prefer some more versatility when it comes to layering.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rich D, As little as £50 from TKMaxx up to £600 from Norrona/ Arcteryx and the premier tech brands - I'd suggest you need to think about what you want to do with it, and how much you want to spend.....a quick google session might be your best option and give you some ideas. Take a look at Sportpursuit, they have some decent jackets in the sales, last years gear normally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rich D, you'd best work out a budget as @Markymark29 says then you can get some specific recommendations. In summary look for a shell that is breathable and waterproof. Then change the layers underneath it to suit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was a bit vague wasn't it. I was really just looking for recommendations from what people had worn, for the amount I'd wear it £200 would be the absolute max really. There's almost an infinite number of non insulated waterproof jackets when I'd started looking and I've worn some for climbing and walking before - however wanted something maybe a little longer in the back than my walking rab jacket as sitting on lifts can be breezy on the back and I'm not overly keen on snow down my back, can't see any non insulated ones with snow skirts at the moment.
Waterproof, windproof and breathable would be great as would non insulated plus a hood in case the weather changes, would be good if the hood was helmet compatible as well. Pocket for lift pass is always useful too although not bothered about other pockets as usually wear a rucksack and have pockets in my sallies for other bits.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once you've bought a shell, you'll probably never go back to an insulated “ski jacket”. Look for pit zips and lots of pockets, and a zip out snowskirt if it has one means you can use it the rest of the year as a waterproof. I got a really good deal on a Black Diamond one in March, but there is a fair amount of choice now, especially for blokes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rich D, Some bargains to be had on Sportpursuit. You have to sign up but it's free, I've had some good stuff from them.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/arcteryx-may?gender=Male&special_price=31.99-253.99&type=Jackets
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rich D, Sorry, cross post. Not sure you'll get norrona or Arcteryx for sub £200, but my BD one was about £150 so something like that would work. Mountain Equipment and Sweet Protection often come up at good prices too. I agree with you about the long fit – my ME one kept riding up coz it was shorter so that was one reason for the upgrade. All will have helmet-compatible hoods these days.

Don't wear it climbing. Climbing eats clothes. Use your oldest, tattiest jacket for that wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My climbing gear is already trashed so not adding to the list of casulaties from that.. plus I'm too old to do anything hard anymore so just a bit of bouldering and single pitch nowadays in the sunshine. I did see the NorthFace Silvani anorak which looks quite decent and has a lot of the features I wanted. I'll have a look for Black Diamond and see what I can find.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
£149 for a MARMOT Goretex Mens Lightray Ski Jacket (Black) on sportpursuit! https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/clicky
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to have insulated jackets but I just kept melting on hot days: not worth the bother. I hardly ever need to wear a downie any more.

I have a Norrona Lofoten Pro, size XL, dark blue, brand-new for £360if you're interested?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to have insulated jackets but I just kept melting on hot days: not worth the bother. I hardly ever need to wear a downie any more.

I have a Norrona Lofoten Pro, size XL, dark blue, brand-new for £360if you're interested?

Thanks but it's a little bit too big and too expensive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rich D, Stop messing around with this over-priced, under-functional ski kit, and get a Buffalo mountain shirt.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mountain-shirt/

I have the Montane equivalent which is now 25 years old, and is still my go-to top for touring. Wear it next to the skin, as Buffalo recommends, and with vents open you might as well be skiing topless. Zip them up on the chairs, and its toasty.

And you can use it climbing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, used to have one of those in the 80’s great kit
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I hope you haven't thrown it away! They are meant to smell a bit, you know that? Very Happy
snow report
@Rich D, Do your research on Ebay and find "New" or "Nearly New" ski kit for a fraction of retail. Don't go looking for high-cost-big-name-kit, look for Phenix, Goldwin, Kjus (yes there are bargains on ebay), Vist, Colmar, SOS, Mountain Force, just to name a few.

1) - SOS Ski jumper
2) - Dale of Norway Knitshell Jacket
3) - Phenix Ski Gilet.
4) - Vist ski fleece.

The above are some of my recent bargains, and the SOS jumper is a serious piece of vintage kit new old stock. The rest were all BNWT.
latest report
Norrøna’s online outlet store (need to register to access it) is quite stocked with Lyngen and Lofoten jackets with a good range of colours and sizes;

Lyngen Goretex £288
Lyngen Windstopper £191

Lofoten Goretex Pro £360
Lofoten Goretex Active £282

I personally have the Lofoten Goretex Active and highly recommend it if you don’t need the extra durability of the Pro.
snow conditions
If it's scorchio I use a softshell and chuck a shell jacket in the backpack.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy