Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for new helmet ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys!

I've been using the K2 Thrive for 2 seasons already, I love the way it looks(gotta love the brim style).

But I have 2 problems with it:
- No ventilation, not nice in any day above 5°C
- Recently it feels more loose than usual... not sure if it is an issue with the locking system or if the padding just got compressed, but even with the full lock it feels loose.

I'm looking a for a nice helmet that I can stick with it for a long time, so I'm willing to pay a bit more for a good product. It needs to fit my big head(around 60cm) and Oakley Flight Decks Very Happy
Saw some reviews about the Smith Vantage(https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men%27s/Helmets/Snow/Vantage/p/E0067528V5559), it looks nice, has good ventilation and sounds one of the safest ones out there, what do you guys think about it ?

Any tips ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndreSilva, All helmets sold in the EU will conform to minimum safety standards, so beyond that it's really down to personal preference and fit. The method for fitting which I read and recently used when I needed a new helmet, is to put it on but not fasten the clip, then tip your head upside down and shake it a little. If the helmet stays put, it's probably a good fit. If it falls off or moves around, try another size or model. It sounds like your current one is too big, so you should change it.

You'll probably find you have a preference for one or two brands that fit your head shape well, so then you can pick the one with the best vents etc. Most have vents you can open/close these days, so that's a bit more flexible anyway.

You may need to try quite a lot on (I had to go the three shops in St Anton to find one that fit), so you might be better to wait till you get to a resort with plenty of choice. Take your goggles with you – most will fit most these days, but there's always the odd one that doesn't.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have an Uvex helmet which I've been really happy with - it has a slider on the top to open and close the vents, so no fiddling around with inserts which then get lost. Still fits well after 8 weeks of use.

The ear pads can be removed on really hot days, but I've never had to do that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uvex-P1us-2-0/dp/B07SYLFGVY/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp?th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a Salomon Prophet which I really liked, it had an adjustable liner (by air pump) and was very comfortable to wear, however, I found it very warm, even with the vents open. This season , I changed to a Smith Quantum which has been very good. More breathable and light, but not quite as comfy.

As ever, you'll have to find a shop with a good selection to see what fits best with your head shape and goggles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have 2 helmets now. 1 a second hand uvex helmet from a ski hire place via ebay for £5. 1 a new Trespass helmet for about £20-£25 on ebay.

Both conform to minimum safety standards, however 1 is old and 1 is new. I wear the new one skiing, and use the old one for a safety helmet if doing things which I would normally not bother with a safety helmet.

No problems with either in terms of ventilation. Both have problems with my ears getting sore when I put some flat biker headphones underneath. Better using in ear headphones, in order to avoid sore lugs.

I do sometimes feel inadequate when other people have new really expensive helmets, but I feel the same way when people have oakley sunglasses and I have a pair costing £15 from a pharmacists. Both sunglasses have superb protection from UVA and UVB rays, but one pair will get broken or lost and not exceed the insurance excess.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just binned my Smith Vantage (womens) due to the number of visible dents it had after quite a lot of use Toofy Grin

I will be replacing it with the same again - vents were great, it was comfy, and easy to adjust. And dealt with me!

Best to try helmets on though and see what fits though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a sweet trouper MIPS. Very comfortable helmet but the tope tip is try one with goggles. Same with buying goggles, try them with your helmet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice comments from everyone, thanks guys!
I'll go with the Vantage, gonna try some this weekend with my goggles.
Question now is: should I get with MIPS or it is not a big deal ? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you like the K2 & its a good fit, why not looking at the vented version K2 Diversion?
I personally dont like Brims as they push down on the goggles which crushes the bridge of my nose
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
. . .or alternatively a K2 Route?

This is mega lightweight / mega ventilated (no insulation) - you don't really know you are wearing a helmet most of the time. The only way you can close the holes is with the pow cover provided however I've never used this and only use it to strap the helmet to the back of my pack. I generally wear it with a thin skull cup / beanie underneath if its cold or nothing if its warm and this gives far greater control over ventilation extremes.

Only problem maybe goggle size (for your goggles) but you should generally always check this anyway - love the K2 Route - never wore a helmet before, I now have 2 of them . . .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MIPS is an improvement. Bear in mind that all helmets meet the basic standard. That standard is itself pretty basic. What manufacturers have done is to invest some time and cash in developing something which provides protection for cases which are not covered by the standard, and which coincidentally give them a marketing advantage and allows them to charge extra and make more profit.

The helmet manufacturers do have your health as one of their priorities. They have sales, recouping investment costs, and future profits as three of the others.

How valuable is your head?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Several friends have complained of the ear covers, or whatever they're called, coming off easily and having to futz with them, typically on a powder day when the line is building. So whatever helmet you land on, make sure these things stay where you want them.

I was also reluctant to go for one of those magnetic chin strap buckles, but actually they work fine.

Check that your goggles mate well with the new helmet. If not, on a sunny day you can end up with a nifty red horizontal stripe right above your eyebrows!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, +1 the best
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sweet Protection helmets look the best Smile

If you are going for a new helmet then may as well get MIPS.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, @Themasterpiece, Sweet make canoe helmets. I got ine from a watersports retailer at 50%.
https://www.roho.co.uk

It is expensive but at £20-25/year use it is worth it. When I buy things I always think of TCO (total cost of ownership) so how much is it over the lifetime.
https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-gb/trooper-ii-mips-helmet/840049.html
latest report
I couldn't find any Smith Vantage with MIPS in my size around here, so I got it without MIPS.
Found an nice deal for 120 euros, thanks for the help!
ski holidays
Go to Amazon & sort by price. As @Scarlet says, they will all be up to standard. I would never use a 2nd hand lid, you don’t know what accidents it’s had.
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, I wouldn't buy one from Amazon though, unless it was the same model as one I already had. The internet can't fit helmets.
latest report
@Scarlet, they’re not a precision fit like a boot, pretty much any the right size will do if it’s comfy. If not, free returns.
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
@Scarlet, they’re not a precision fit like a boot, pretty much any the right size will do if it’s comfy.......

Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy