Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox cross rider back protector included?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm considering buying an ortovox crossrider backpack. It is part of the 'freeride' range which says all the range has the back protector fitted. However, when looking at the technical information on them it doesn't mention the back protector but it does on the freerider model. A friend has one and he's sure it has one but he hasn't got access to it at at the moment. Could anyone clarify? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a 20. It's not really a back protector, but there is a stiffish bit with 6 cushioned pads on it. Better than nothing but certainly not anything like the real thing. It is a very nice pack though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musher wrote:
I've got a 20. It's not really a back protector, but there is a stiffish bit with 6 cushioned pads on it. Better than nothing but certainly not anything like the real thing. It is a very nice pack though.

Thanks, do you know if it's the same as what's fitted to the freerider?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's this:

http://youtube.com/v/vrAa9e5MeSU

Same as on our Powderriders, not as burly as my Evoc, nor is the pack as well held in place (which is important for a protector to function). Still nice packs though, think we have 4 Ortovox between 3 of us (plus 2 Ortovox zip on backs for Avi bags).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the freerider has a burlier protector which you can take in and out, plus a better waist band (similar to my Evoc) to hold everything in place:

http://youtube.com/v/KDJURAP7cvU

So in summary: No the system on the crossrider is not like the freerider, it is similar to the powderrider.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The system isn't the same in that you can't remove it from the cross rider, but I suspect the built in thing is quite similar to the removable one of the free rider from looking at that video above. It feels like high density foam about 1cm thick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the input guys. You're right about them being different. The crossrider is padded whereas the freerider has a t.u.v approved back protector system fitted. I've just ordered a freerider from gravity protection for £110.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitty, I think if back protection is one of the things you are looking to achieve then you've done the right thing. The much more secure waist band alone on the freerider points to greater focus on protection from that pack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker wrote:
@Whitty, I think if back protection is one of the things you are looking to achieve then you've done the right thing. The much more secure waist band alone on the freerider points to greater focus on protection from that pack.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker wrote:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never saw the crossrider in hands, but I have a Freerider 18L(https://www.ortovox.com/gr-en/shop/backpacks/p50112-freeride-free-rider-18-l) and I absolutely love it.
The only thing I wish it had is the hability to carry the skis on the the side, this model(18L) only let's you carry it diagonally. Not a big deal though.
The back protector is in place but you can't take it out, I guess if you want to replace it, you need to open the stitches manually.

This is the back:
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy