Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you replace your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Not something I consciously think about too much - what I tend to do occasionally is see a new helmet, find it fits well, buy it then as I know finding the size and fit in a hurry can be difficult with intent of keeping it on a shelf for a while. Then sometime in the next season I find a gripe with my old helmet (stickers not cool enough etc) and the new one comes into play. This reasults in replacement approx every 5-6 years/250 days but does leave me with a "spare" old helmet if I have a sudden damage. Are others more disciplined than this, beyond the colour coordinated fashion whores?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
“Label says 2010, I should probably think about replacing that. It'll do for the rest of the season.”

Takes hospitalising knock to face, but not really landing on helmet.

“It seems to have survived. Don't think I landed on it anyway. It'll do for the rest of the season. What do you think?”
“Yeah, seems fine, apart from the massive crack in the front...”

Spends an hour toddling around St Anton, looking like a bucket head until Intersport solves the problem. Ex-helmet added to their dead helmet pile, which is pretty large.

Should get another ten out of the new one, if not using head as brake. Stickers get replaced as and when uncool (or wonky).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had my first one 16 years before finally replacing it last season. Wish I'd done it sooner to be honest, the new one is lighter and much more comfortable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
(stickers not cool enough etc)

You need more SnowHeads stickers on there then! Smile

I replaced mine for this season after about 9 seasons when the matt coating on it became sticky, the lining colour had turned from black to purple and I'd worn through the fake leather bits. I don't think I'd ever landed on it hard or damaged it but I thought as it seems to be degrading on the bits I could see, it could well be doing the same within the parts I couldn't see.

I managed to find a new helmet that fitted better and with MIPS so it should last for the next 8 to 10 years if it does't get damaged.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
when I take a nasty bump on ym haed adn i cnt type corrcectly
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Changed mine because I fancied a new colour. That would probably be the same reason next time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
replaced mine this/last season after 11 yrs. Giro and likely others recommend replacement after 3 yrs https://www.giro.co.uk/help/product-information/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had three do far. First I got after a friend took a knock and was a bit doolally for a day. Figured a helmet was cheaper than a missed days skiing. It fitted but I never really liked the appearance. Second went when the adjuster broke but it wasn't a perfect fit anyway. Current one fits well and looks ok, so unless something breaks or it takes a decent hit it'll stay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stopped wearing my R.E.D when I went A/T a few years ago. Borrowed my son's for a year and got a Giro 2 years ago

Quote:

8 to 10 years if it does't get damaged.

I would think is about the mark.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Probably not the right answer.
I was an early adopter (1998), and I replace them when they crack.
I am on my 5th.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought mine in March/April 2009 before my first visit to EoSB and after hubby's neck injury. Still wearing it, as every time I've tried others on, I've not liked them, they didn't fit properly or I thought I could get it cheaper elsewhere. I haven't had a major bang on the head while wearing it, but straps are starting to fray. Definitely time for another.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I retire them after a few years and use the old one for biking in cold weather. Or immediately, if it takes a hit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Every 3 years, or 250-300 days. When it starts to look a bit too "Used". Or if I have a big smash, only done this with bike helmets, don't tend to crash as hard skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 over 20 years. First one died on impact with ice. Second had some kind of rubbery coating and went sticky after about 5 years. POC since then and has held up remarkably well, but will probably replace next year as the liner glue going and some of the strap studs are showing some corrosion.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My current helmet - maybe used over 3 seasons 120ish days has gone sticky at the front where the coating is worn by movement of the goggles. No idea whether this impacts structural integrity.
snow conditions
On my second after the first one started to lose some of the coating like @jd_evans', don't think it was structural but it didn't look great and I decided not worth the risk. Current one has seen me for 3 or so seasons now (so circa 60 days) and I suspect will do a few more until my colour scheme changes or I bounce my head off of something like SmigusDyngus did with a tree (not sure how the tree survived).
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
...suspect will do a few more until... ...I bounce my head off of something like SmigusDyngus...

I'd change mine after that. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've read that for security measures is better to change it every 3-5 years. I think it also depends on the brand and the use. I always try to read product tests every year to see what's new and what's worthy.

I'm sure you can find many of those online, I usually find this very helpful: https://www.outdoormeister.de/skihelm-mit-visier-test/
ski holidays
When the(inside) polystyrene - or whatever it is - has turned to concrete.
Preferably a little before.
Or at least that is what a mountain biking skier advised. Actually he said "F*****g H*ll"! I wouldn't go out in that again...!"
snow report
Every 5 years but also if something breaks of if it got a massive bang. Now use a MIPS helmet
latest report
Just replaced mine as it’s possible I may have banged it & @ £25 a pop every 7 or 8 years it ain’t going to break the bank!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy