Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Qualified physio ask me anything

Poster: A snowHead
There's soreness. Then there's pain.

Whenever one exercise, the muscle gets sore.

When one injures a joint, or any other connection tissues around a joint, that's when one gets pain.

So no, I don't think pain is of any beneficial to achieve a healthy body.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was thinking more of micro muscle tears rather than anything which might cause long term damage. However, I appreciate being pointed in the right direction and corrected as I am not a body builder (but I do average over 3 jogs/runs a week and experience occasional muscle issues which last a few days).

I would add muscle balance as a key issue which has been highlighted but not emphasised. If you sit down a lot, then you need to compensate every time you stand up by bending your body in the other direction (doing cobra pose for example).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Whenever one exercise, the muscle gets sore.

You don't even need to go that far to create adaptation (increase muscle size and strength).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am glad the science is catching up with my body. I started core body strenthening last year, but stopped after 5 sessions because my shoulder muscle got really sore (I think I was using too heavy dumbells; I thought they were very lightweight especially compared to what I used to lift, but my muscles are getting older)

Better to use very low weights, and not even get a bead of sweat lifting it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@julietp, Hi - I was wondering if you would mind posting an update on your husbands progress following his op to trim his meniscus?
I've just been offered the same op - hoping to ski this January but wondering if I'm being a bit too optermistic?
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dippy, are they operating in your area? My Dad needs an urgent op but due to Covid19 rant operating Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anyone know anything about tennis elbow?
I think I got tennis elbow. lots of pain in my elbow & surrounding muscles.
I purchased a hand held bandsaw that comes with a heavy base, I picked the thing up with one arm & the base fell open & yanked my arm.
This was about 3 weeks ago, but is not getting any better. fed up popping pills & rubbing indeep heat/voltoral/tiger balm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, Not and Expert :: I have suffered from Tennis Elbow, but as far as I know it is a 'Repetitive Strain' type of injury. My was caused by several years of 'Spanner/Screwdriving' - your injury sounds like a different thing (torn muscle ?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, This is private, I'm in Kent?
Slight restrictions because of covid.
And not as many private ops taking place as NHS using private hospitals.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tennis elbow (or golfers elbow - that might be the other, inner side) is lateral (outer) epicondylitis, irritation of tendons & other soft tissues around the elbow and forearm. Usually links into the fingers, ring and middle if I recall, and therefore grip. Can be helped by stretching the hand, wrist and fingers in full flex & extension; wearing a strap or rolled up tubigrip just below the elbow can help to give support. It is usually a repetitive use thing, but once in can re-iritate or take ages to go away. (Not qualified physio, do suffer a lot - mainly from tennis!)
@Mr.Egg, sounds more like an acute injury, as previous poster suggested. Tried rest, ice, compression (tubi grip or elbow sleeve), gentle stretching, etc? Not the best time to see physios, but some (in England at least) are still operating in person, and others will do video consults. Maybe time to contact one?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler,

Everything you describe is what i have, except the discomfort stops just before my fingers. I dont need to pick up something heavy to feel pain, just gripping something and picking it up.
My GP is only doing video appointments & i am not going to go to physio, since its not life and death.
I already wear a strap but might try a tube.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dippy wrote:
@NickyJ, This is private, I'm in Kent?
Slight restrictions because of covid.
And not as many private ops taking place as NHS using private hospitals.

Even offering to pay for it at Gatwick park they aren’t. Kent isn’t too far for them so will suggest that!

It started of with impingement on his shoulder in the time he was waiting to be seen that severed the tendon. Sad. But at least he didn’t expose them to COVID by them seeing him before it got that bad Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mr.Egg, didn’t feed the poorly arm through and under the blade did you?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I successfully managed golfers elbow caused through gym with stretches. GP was worse than useless, "it hurts doesn't it, you'll just have to rest it". Having said that I don't think it's what you have.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL wrote:
@Mr.Egg, didn’t feed the poorly arm through and under the blade did you?

unfortunately it is my right arm & you feed the blade from the left, so would have no way to operate the machinery snowHead
latest report
Google 'exercises for tennis elbow' (maybe golfers' as well?) - worth a go. The hand stretch ones I found help. Good luck Smile
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
Google 'exercises for tennis elbow' (maybe golfers' as well?) - worth a go. The hand stretch ones I found help. Good luck Smile

using the controller on my new xbox is doing wonders Laughing
snow report
Dippy wrote:
@julietp, Hi - I was wondering if you would mind posting an update on your husbands progress following his op to trim his meniscus?
I've just been offered the same op - hoping to ski this January but wondering if I'm being a bit too optermistic?
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi Dippy, I am sorry to say his recovery has not gone well. He still has pain walking, has not run once and doubts he will be able to ski this season. This is despite seeing a physio 3 times a week since july.

I don't want to put you off as i do have another friend who recovered pretty quickly (2-3 months) and it seems my husband's ongoing problems may be due to the cancellation of the original op meaning a 3 month delay during which he was walking 'on the knee.' So if you do need it (with no alternative) get it done sooner rather than later.

I really hope it does well, most seem to be fine within a couple of months. My husband is just very unlucky 6 months later with regular physio, second MRI, acupuncture, cortisone and HA injections etc still in a bad way despite the operation itself being 'successful!'

Good luck!
snow report
@julietp, Many thanks for update, appreciate it - and helpful.
snow conditions
Interesting that Physiojen suddenly stopped contributing after Jonathan Bell posted on June 25 . . . .
Coincidence Puzzled
snow conditions
@Jonpim, she had a number of run ins on other threads so was probably put off a bit
ski holidays
Should we retitle the thread: unqualified, but ask and we'll do our best as usual anyway Laughing
snow report
@Grizzler, Laughing Laughing

Good idea to change the thread title so as not to mislead people. Maybe one of the mods can do that?
snow report
@Physiojen, Hi Jen, thanks for your kind offer to give us Snowheads advice! You must be overwhelmed with questions...
I injured my left patellar tendon doing a barbell club class. Sudden onset pain above the patella doing a sequence of squats followed by rear lunges which produced quite bad pain on a rear lunge. (I had been up 2 Munro’s the 2 days before the class)and both patellar tendons were a bit tired after that). I have seen a local physio who loosened up all the surrounding muscles that had tightened up to support the knee and am getting back into classes without problems. I am planning to go running again soon - would the shoe lace tip work for this, and should I wear it above the kneecap as my pain wasn’t in the typical runner’s knee area? Thanks, Claire
ski holidays
The shoelace thing is for patella tendonitis. The patella tendon is entirely below the kneecap, so not sure you had a patella tendon issue if it was above! The shoelace is generally worn about as high as you can get it, with any higher being around your kneecap (where I doubt it would stay put).
snow report
If you tie a shoelace tightly enough around your leg above the knee, then pretty soon everything below will go quite happily numb, all knee problems solved... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy