Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer ski 2020

Poster: A snowHead
What are the options without quarantine on arrival?

Let’s leave it out questions of quarantine on return, government travel advice, healthcare, and insurance as that’s country specific and there are people from all over on Snowheads. And leave the morals of travel Wink

The following have announced opening to EU without quarantine right now (perhaps with a Covid-19 test) if you can get there and are brave enough Smile

Italy - Cervinia. Will the Swiss side open?

Iceland - ? Ski touring on glaciers only?

Spain - any summer ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not quite the same but with the relaxing of restrictions I wonder if the outdoor dry slopes will be opening up again?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece, Norway has had lots of snow and several glacier skiing resorts are open e.g Fonna which opened May 1st. 53cm of snow fell between 16th to 18th May. However as of now Norway is closed to non-residents, this may of course change soon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm thinking that a window may well open up, somewhere. I don't care about returning quarantine, as that's just staying home, but having to do nothing at the snowy-end for a couple of weeks would be a bit of a show stopper, unless they have a really nice hotel with stuff to do in it, which I suppose is unlikely. Norway sounds probable, plus you can actually drive / boat there which may make it simpler.

Iceland's heli operator has been running for a few days, but I guess conditions depend on the weather and I've no data on that. I'm not sure if you can get there or not yet. Iceland's the sort of place you can easily avoid bumping into anyone, if that matters.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Themasterpiece, Norway has had lots of snow and several glacier skiing resorts are open e.g Fonna which opened May 1st. 53cm of snow fell between 16th to 18th May. However as of now Norway is closed to non-residents, this may of course change soon.

Hopefully Norway opens up a bit. There may be some checks on the border roads from Sweden leading to Oslo, but pretty sure there are no checks on other roads especially further north. A friend said they followed their satnav last week at the border north of Gothenburg and accidentally passed into Norway and there was no one checking anything.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Themasterpiece, when I posted I hadn't noticed that you are in Sweden. Embarassed Given the good snow conditions in Norway on the glaciers I would have thought Norway would be a good option for you (providing of course that they do open up a bit as you said). snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, it’s still a long drive from Stockholm. I would probably aim for one of the ones further north - Stryn or Sognefjellet and pack both hiking/camping and ski gear in the car. If for some reason I couldn’t get into Norway its nice to hike in the Swedish mountains.

As it would be a solo trip I was more thinking about Cervinia as Warren Smith courses are available to book - do some technical training. Skiing a one-lift Norwegian glacier alone isn’t all that I guess.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt should open for skiing on 08 June, Val d'Isere and Les 2 Alpes on 06 June. Just need the borders to open!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austrian glaciers start to open from next weekend. You'll be able to get here to ski them if you're coming from Switzerland, Germany, Lichtenstein and a few eastern countries. There are flights from a few other countries (but possibly only into Vienna), but they involve quarantine. I don't think there are any flights from the UK yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@iainm, L2A isn't open until the 27th June for the general public, only French national and regional squads and ENSA can ski there from the 6th.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:

Iceland's heli operator has been running for a few days, but I guess conditions depend on the weather and I've no data on that. I'm not sure if you can get there or not yet. Iceland's the sort of place you can easily avoid bumping into anyone, if that matters.

Hard to avoid "bumping into" people on the heli I would think? Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mt.Bachelor, Mt.Baldy and Timberline are all open, Wolf Creek, Aspen Highlands and A Basin are all hoping to open shortly.
So a road trip could be on the cards Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
Austrian glaciers start to open from next weekend. You'll be able to get here to ski them if you're coming from Switzerland, Germany, Lichtenstein and a few eastern countries. There are flights from a few other countries (but possibly only into Vienna), but they involve quarantine. I don't think there are any flights from the UK yet.

Isn’t Austria (and Vienna) letting people in from the EU with a recent Covid-19 test or get it done in the airport? Makes it hard to plan and book a summer ski course, not knowing if you will test positive or not.

Still, if it’s possible to get there will research if there’s any summer ski courses as last minute could be an option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece, they said there would be no quarantine at the borders (driving/train) but I’m not sure about what the deal is at Vienna airport. It might be that it’s only until the road borders open (15th June), or only with certain countries? Not sure, but it would be mad to e.g. allow Germans to cross in Bavaria, but quarantine flights from Frankfurt.

There are very few countries flying in/out of Austria at the moment anyway, as their travel bans cover most of the world. There must be a Foreign Office Type website somewhere with this info on, or the British Embassy (or presumably the Swedish embassy if there is one) usually know their stuff.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
There are very few countries flying in/out of Austria at the moment anyway, as their travel bans cover most of the world. There must be a Foreign Office Type website somewhere with this info on, or the British Embassy (or presumably the Swedish embassy if there is one) usually know their stuff.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

Quote "Anyone entering Austria must be able to present at the border a medical certificate with micro-biological test results in English, French, German or Italian which is no more than 4 days old. Without this document, entry will be refused for anyone without a valid Austrian residence permit, with some exceptions."
latest report
If you can get Nz residency then all resorts in Nz start to open up in about 3 weeks.

Nz residents get 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel on arrival but the government pay. The hotels are pretty decent too - 4 star +

Borders only open to residents or people with permission. I think the doppelmayr lift guys got allowed in to fix some lifts.

Would think the flights are a bit expensive but ski passes this year are real cheap as are hotels and I would guess hire cars and campers

No snow on the ground at all currently though
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

Quote "Anyone entering Austria must be able to present at the border a medical certificate with micro-biological test results in English, French, German or Italian which is no more than 4 days old. Without this document, entry will be refused for anyone without a valid Austrian residence permit, with some exceptions."

Thanks. I meant the Austrian version really, as not everyone travelling is coming from the UK, and I think those rules will change in a few weeks. I'm on my Mac now so I can look properly.

This looks like it might be it: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/reisewarnungen/ (German only, unfortunately)

If you scroll down to the list of countries, the UK entry states:
Quote:
Since March 17th At midnight, Austria does not have a landing permit for flights from the United Kingdom.

I still can't see anything about how the lack of quarantine at road borders (from 15/6) stacks up against the rules at Vienna airport, but tbh I'm not sure exactly where to look.
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
Nz residents get 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel on arrival but the government pay. The hotels are pretty decent too - 4 star +

Two weeks for residents, who've presumably been holed up at home for months? Is that for all travel within NZ then, or specific to ski resorts?

Do you think many will be prepared to do it? I guess if you're there for the season, it's not so bad as long as you don't leave, but 4 star or not, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a hotel room for a fortnight.
snow report
No quarantine in Nz for people in the country already.

2 weeks for arrivals into the country - but borders closed to non residents unless a special visa is granted.

So if you can get in, then 2 weeks chilling in a hotel and then all good for the season.
snow report
@hang11, Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy