Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One-Piece/Mono Ski Suits

Poster: A snowHead
Right! Enough gash chat about bat AIDS.

Onesies. Never mind the joke versions that Brit bores wear for a joke on their one week a year: what about the real thing? I don't see why they're not more popular, especially for powder skiing as they keep your midriff warm and dry. Is it the bagginess?

Either way, I've ordered one of these:
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think much of it is down to the cost. Many people use shell jackets now, which can be used for pursuits other than skiing. There's also the fit issue, one size definitely doesn't fit all even at the same chest measurement.
Powder skiing is somewhat of a rarity in most skiers experience, and not really enough of a reason to need to seal up,the midriff any more so than is possible with regular 2 piece clothing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes fit is a problem, I've also a Norrona Lofoten onesie and it's too tight. I'm a bit of a fattie though so if I lose the weight I might be OK. Norrona kit is pretty slim-fitting as well. Bib trousers are a good idea but there's always still a draught I find.

Either way I think they look bloody cool. Look at that bloke up there! Bet he's shagging loads, even with that hideous beard.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@justabod, Fit was a problem. To get a sensible fit around the chest you ended up rather tightly pulled up between your legs. You ended up either baggy aroud the top or loosing your manhood. The main problem, however was what to do with them when having lunch, trying to stop the arms falling to the floor etc. Oh! and fashion. You still see a lot of children wearing them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@justabod, just not really very useful in many situations. My last mostly-for-skiing-shell didn't even have a powder skirt and coped just fine in super light heliski powder. I do find my back pack keeps me warmer though, and if you're skiing powder you'll have a pack on...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What make is that you have ordered?

I love mine norrona onsie, it's a bit on the big side so a bit baggy. I have never found it a issue at lunch time, just tie the arms around the waist. The pockets in the legs are useless for anything heavy as it pulls the suit down from the shoulders.
I use it in spring to very cold conditions with appropriate layerings and vents open/closed.
Wouldn't pay full rrp and not impressed with the latest generation lofoten suit zips, hopefully next season they go back to full length zip but unlikely as I see the standard lofoten jackets and going to half length zips.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WASHOUT, Norrona aren't making them next season: I asked about an XXL and they said that's it. Shame as they were good bits of kit but always heavily discounted at the end of the season. Might be why they're out of production! It's one of these: https://int.tobeouterwear.com/collections/midwinter-sale/products/vivid-mono-suit-blue-aster. Nice colour, 45k waterproof fabric, not too expensive and with a bit of luck it'll fit. I'm 6'5" which puts me at the top end of the Norrona XL size chart and being overweight finished that off. Even if I lose the weight I still think it'll nip my balls a bit.

@johnE, fair one but the Norrona and Tobe onesies have suspenders inside. Why do children get onesies btw? Wouldn't a baggy jacket and trousers still allow for growth?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@justabod, they are great in pow if you fall, but little else. They are not very flexible, and hard to put on in the parking lot if you're a day skier (or real hot on the drive up). Fit can also be an issue as noted above. All that said, I rode the chair last spring with a guy who owns over 70 of 'em...they take up a room in his house. Buys them at thrift stores. So if you get one and don't like it, there's a guy in Bend, OR that might be interested!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back in the day they were essential, but since then two-piece designs have grown significantly better in powder.
And as someone just pointed out, once you work out how not to fall then this is not relevant.

From a retail point of view you're going to need more stock, because you can't "mix and max" between "tops" and "bottoms".
The alternative is that you compromise on fit... which isn't good with two pieces, but as people have spotted, it's significantly worse with a one piece.
I'd also guess that pant designs and colours probably change less quickly than jackets, so if you're in the fashion segment it's commercially harder with one pieces.

To me a one-piece has to be well fitted. Perhaps they don't make the 3/4 of the population who are overweight or obese look good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loo cubicles are enough of a faff in ski boots without the additional act of contortion that a onesie would require. No thanks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@queenie pretty please, Arc-teryx have just made a onesie for girls: big poo flap at the back. It's grey though which is a shame.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@justabod, Classy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just...................NO!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here you go: https://freeskier.com/product-reviews/gear-spotlight-2021-arcteryx-incendia-one-piece. There's usual boilerplate s hite about empowerment and sexism but it's essentially a womens'-only onesie. Boring colour though, normally AC are a little brighter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It looks like a boiler suit for a mechanic and probably costs more than a month's rent.
snow report
@justabod, what’s the benefit over a 2 piece? The negatives are lunch, touring, hiking, number 2’s, Spring skiing or any other situation where you want to take the jacket off.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, undoubtedly. I don't think they could've made it more unattractive if they'd made it in American prisoner orange with 'RAPIST' stamped across the back.

@BobinCH, warm, toasty, looks good. Suspenders for lunch, large vents for touring and hiking, Spring skiing normal 3L Gore-Tex too hot anyway and if you need to lay a cable on the mountain... best to drop the kids off at the pool at home first.
ski holidays
P.S. I've mostly bought mine for Japan.
ski holidays
Any woman will tell you just how impractical a onesie is, especially in Italian loos!
latest report
One trick with lycra race suits is to pull the sleeves halfway through themselves, so that they are short enough to not get in the way.
latest report
I've still got one I bought in the early 90's. Been re-waxed a couple of times. Still fits like a glove, but now only use it indoor.

They are great if it's really cold, but as already said above, a bit inconvenient when stopping during the day. I usually ended up sweating during lunch/toilet breaks then feeling the cold when going back outside. Not as easy as a jacket to lose a layer if too hot.

If you can, look for one with a double ended zip. Makes toilet breaks much easier Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have a The North Face 1 piece from circa 1999, which was probably a year or so after they went out of vogue. It is fairly bulletproof and it was useful for a couple of years skiing waist deep powder, I always used to pack it just in case we had a big dump of powder but sods law states you always leave the day before anyway. I did find it useful for keeping the hydration pack from freezing and i could stuff extra neck gator, gloves, hat and camera etc into the inside pockets with no fear of losing any of it. I will concede though that recently I have found the jacket to be more important than the pants for moisture management, so spend more on the jacket.
latest report
I've one, it was heavily reduced at the end of a season. Hely Hanssen Ullr. Resplendent in Guantanamo / North Sea Orange.

It was (really) cheap.

(NB- thats not me- I'm much cooler than that).
snow report
ed123 wrote:
I've one, it was heavily reduced at the end of a season. Hely Hanssen Ullr. Resplendent in Guantanamo / North Sea Orange.

It was (really) cheap.

(NB- thats not me- I'm much cooler than that).

Fun photo location, one turn charlie, with a noteable backdrop Wink
latest report
Reading this thread I've just realised one big advantage of the one piece suit, they were so voluminous around the chest you could stuff a lot down the front: shopping, spare gloves, hat, sandwiches, camera etc and it wouldn't fall out of the bottom. Separate jackets don't offer such security
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Reading this thread I've just realised one big advantage of the one piece suit, they were so voluminous around the chest you could stuff a lot down the front: shopping, spare gloves, hat, sandwiches, camera etc and it wouldn't fall out of the bottom. Separate jackets don't offer such security

And then the rucksack was invented...
latest report
I've had to admit defeat! I've tried Norrona, Helly Hansen and Tobe and none of them fit. I've got a fat back bottom so as soon as I squat down it drags at my arms and becomes a nightmare. Oh well, top and bottoms it is then.
snow report
Back in the 80s I decided I had accumulated a large enough bank balance to buy a Nevica one piece. I went into Center Sport in Leeds and struggled to get into one of them. I was told by the very helpful assistant that “they were made for the athletic gentleman”. Anyway the company went bust and I lost weight.

Eventually bought two of the suits, one of which I still deploy when using a monoski at the indoor slope.

Also very occasionally these days ski with the creator of Nevica, who curiously does not have the most athletic build, but skis as if he does.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone on "outdoor gear exchange" page on facebook trying to sell a 10 year old vile green one piece for £750 ....
ski holidays
Scratch that: I tried again and the crotch was sitting too low. Used the suspenders provided and now it's great! Some kind of weird net lining like the old-school waterproofs which I'm not so keen on but it's toasty and only drags a little at the arms. Great!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy