Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is any airline flying to Geneva at the moment

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

overall the journey couldn’t have gone smoother

snowHead Good to hear. Helpful response from the car park!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@4q, nice one
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@4q, Excellent... and relax.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are people currently permitted to leave the UK to visit second homes in the Alps?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@4q, so glad. Hope you get home safe with everything
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Austrian Seagull, it isn’t a 2nd home, my lease ended in April and my landlord was getting arsey as he’s sold the Chalet but if that snide comment makes you feel better about yourself then I’m pleased to have given you the opportunity x
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Austrian Seagull, Border is open as of today, so yes you can visit a second home in the Alps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can Brits fly into GVA for CH entry without permit?

I thought border only open with France, Germany, Austria (not Italy)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:

According to the UK Foreign Office Swiss restrictions on travellers entering from the UK were lifted today 15th June: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Are people currently permitted to leave the UK to visit second homes in the Alps?

As I understand it yes; but if you enter France from the UK you have to go in to full quarantine in the property in France for 14 days and then when you come back to the UK into 14 days full quarantine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

As I understand it yes; but if you enter France from the UK you have to go in to full quarantine in the property in France for 14 days and then when you come back to the UK into 14 days full quarantine.

I believe that the quarantine in France is voluntary, unlike the UK which is (at the moment) a legal requirment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Austrian Seagull, no problem leaving the UK the issue is going back in. Most EU countries have removed restrictions from other EU countries plus odds and sods like UK. Some countries (such as Denmark and Greece) are being choosy about who they allow in, so UK and Swedish residents are still not always welcome! A bigger issue for UK residents is that travel insurance is probably not valid though EHIC cards should be fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

According to the UK Foreign Office Swiss restrictions on travellers entering from the UK were lifted today 15th June: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements Madeye-Smiley

So why was he asked those questions? Because he travelled yesterday?

I checked in they asked why I was travelling to Geneva and whether it was essential, I explained that my lease had expired and my landlord was kicking me out. When I got to Swiss passport control he asked where I was going and when I told him France and then England tomorrow he waved me through
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
4q wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, it isn’t a 2nd home, my lease ended in April and my landlord was getting arsey as he’s sold the Chalet but if that snide comment makes you feel better about yourself then I’m pleased to have given you the opportunity x

You’ve completely lost me. How have you managed to interpret my general question as a snide comment? I’m desperately keen to get out to the Alps, but was told by someone that the UK restriction on visiting second homes also applies to overseas second homes. I was hoping that some other snowheads might have more information and am very grateful that several have commented.
snow report
@Austrian Seagull, I think you will find that the UK government is advising against all foreign travel, though it is not "banned". However if you do leave the UK you have to be sure about travel insurance (hence my comment about EHIC above) and also you may find that the quarantine thing is still in force when you return to the UK. As far as I know if you get on a plane to Germany (Lufthansa are flying from LHR) you will not have an issue entering the country (Germany dropped its quarantine requirement a few weeks back). Today most of the border restrictions have been lifted (certainly from Germany to neighbouring countries) so no issue driving into Austria for whatever purpose. It would still make sense to ensure you have a copy your Austrian residency papers with you (assuming you own a property there). You might have more of an issue if you drive as the French might be difficult about brits given the quarantine thing, maybe the Harwich - Hoek ferry is a better option.
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:
4q wrote:

You’ve completely lost me. How have you managed to interpret my general question as a snide comment? I’m desperately keen to get out to the Alps, but was told by someone that the UK restriction on visiting second homes also applies to overseas second homes. I was hoping that some other snowheads might have more information and am very grateful that several have commented.

Apologies, I read it as if you were having a dig. Sorry if misinterpreted.
snow report
4q wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:
4q wrote:

Apologies, I read it as if you were having a dig. Sorry if misinterpreted.

No worries.
ski holidays
Austria is currently not permitting tourists from Spain, Portugal, Sweden and UK without quarantine restrictions or a negative COVID test within 48 hours. Not sure how this will be policed given that the road borders are now open, but I'd imagine driving through with GB numberplates would probably raise suspicion.
latest report
queenie pretty please wrote:
Austria is currently not permitting tourists from Spain, Portugal, Sweden and UK without quarantine restrictions or a negative COVID test within 48 hours. Not sure how this will be policed given that the road borders are now open, but I'd imagine driving through with GB numberplates would probably raise suspicion.

Probably using the Meldezettle that tourists have to fill in? And may be that, although the borders are open, they are still manning them?
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, I think you will find that the UK government is advising against all foreign travel, though it is not "banned". However if you do leave the UK you have to be sure about travel insurance (hence my comment about EHIC above) and also you may find that the quarantine thing is still in force when you return to the UK. As far as I know if you get on a plane to Germany (Lufthansa are flying from LHR) you will not have an issue entering the country (Germany dropped its quarantine requirement a few weeks back). Today most of the border restrictions have been lifted (certainly from Germany to neighbouring countries) so no issue driving into Austria for whatever purpose. It would still make sense to ensure you have a copy your Austrian residency papers with you (assuming you own a property there). You might have more of an issue if you drive as the French might be difficult about brits given the quarantine thing, maybe the Harwich - Hoek ferry is a better option.

I must admit, my concerns are more about getting out of the UK than getting into Austria. Travel to second homes overseas appears to be explicitly banned by the UK govt according to virtually everything I have read today, unless you come under one of the exceptions, e.g. work-related, travelling to funeral, etc. I suspect that is why the OP was questioned on exiting the UK. He had good reason to travel, but many won’t.
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

I must admit, my concerns are more about getting out of the UK than getting into Austria. Travel to second homes overseas appears to be explicitly banned by the UK govt according to virtually everything I have read today, unless you come under one of the exceptions, e.g. work-related, travelling to funeral, etc. I suspect that is why the OP was questioned on exiting the UK. He had good reason to travel, but many won’t.

It’s a bit weird seeing as you’re at more risk being in the UK than going abroad, judging by the figures?
latest report
@Austrian Seagull, I had reason to be in the UK a couple of weeks back. Even before the current reductions in restrictions there was no issue leaving the UK (there are no checks leaving the UK only the airline has to keep a record of your passport). The airline did want to ensure I could enter Germany ie I was not a tourist but that restriction no longer applies. There was no questioning of why I wanted to leave the UK. I came back via Zürich and there was no more than the normal passport check in Zürich (they didnt want to look at my German Anmeldung) and there were no checks at all going through Munich airport. There were a bunch of brits on the same flight travelling onto Graz, they had no issue being allowed through in Zürich (the Swiss didnt care). No idea how they intended to get to Graz from Munich.

I can see you might get grief in Austria if you are driving a UK registered car but if you intend to drive then perhaps simply get a test just before leaving in case of problems. As @Sitter said you would have to register once you arrive in Austria so that might be the point where issues would arise.
snow report
The reason the check in desk asked me why I was going was that since 8th June you need to either be travelling to Switzerland for one of a specific number of reasons or transiting the country to another immediately and Swiss Airlines didn’t want to be liable for flying me home if I was refused entry. Travel restrictions to Switzerland should be gone completely by 21st according to the email I had from the Swiss consulate.
When you arrive in France there is a voluntary 14 day quarantine and you have to fill out an attestation that you have no symptoms (on your honour). I did one but no one has asked me for it and there was no border control whatsoever when I entered France from Switzerland.
I packed up the car this morning and set off just after lunch and am staying in Arras tonight ready for the final journey home tomorrow. I got stopped by customs at the toll booth just after Geneva who wanted to know where I’d come from and how many times I’ve driven this route this year. I explained that I arrived yesterday and that it was my first journey north this year and he let me carry on. The rest of the journey was uneventful with very quiet motorway so I just put cruise on 90.
I filled in my UK immigration form and am looking forward to two weeks quarantine at home as I’ve been back at work full time for a month and my garden still has a few jobs Which need finishing.
Btw all shops bars and restaurants seem to be back open normal bar a few Perspex screens. The shops are asking for 1m social distancing but being France everyone assumes that only applies to others Smile
ski holidays
Drive at night on sideroads.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Drive at night on sideroads.

With headlights off!
latest report
@Austrian Seagull, I drove from Brighton to Switzerland yesterday. No issues leaving UK at all. French immigration at tunnel lost all interest in me when I said I was going to CH. Others just appeared to be handing in their attestation, which I presume go in a pile which no one ever looks at again.

About 100 cars on the train. There’s just one an hour at the moment.

No issues entering CH, customs too busy chatting to each other to show any interest in me.
snow report
@Steve Sparks, Great. That sounds encouraging. Very tempted to get a flight sorted.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, I drove from Brighton to Switzerland yesterday. No issues leaving UK at all. French immigration at tunnel lost all interest in me when I said I was going to CH. Others just appeared to be handing in their attestation, which I presume go in a pile which no one ever looks at again.

About 100 cars on the train. There’s just one an hour at the moment.

No issues entering CH, customs too busy chatting to each other to show any interest in me.

Thanks for that Steve!
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, If you are planning to go to Austria (even via Germany) you should check on the requirements see

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-travel-europe-country-by-country-travel-restrictions-explained-summer-2020/

Austria requires either a negative test or 14 days quarantine for anyone who has been in the UK, Sweden, Spain etc in the previous 14 days. Neither Germany or Switzerland have any restrictions from European countries.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Thanks for your response. It’s the getting out of the UK part that concerns me most. I’m getting the impression though that my fears are perhaps unfounded.
snow conditions
What’s the general consensus about being able to get down the the Alps from the UK middle of July for a week’s cycling?
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
What’s the general consensus about being able to get down the the Alps from the UK middle of July for a week’s cycling?

No problem coming here - you can get to Switzerland tomorrow if you want.
latest report
French Alps?
snow report
@alti - dude, I have no idea as I have the reverse problem, but maybe check the French gov website?
snow report
alti - dude wrote:

A month away so who knows?
ski holidays
4q wrote:
I made it through without any issue. When I checked in they asked why I was travelling to Geneva and whether it was essential, I explained that my lease had expired and my landlord was kicking me out. When I got to Swiss passport control he asked where I was going and when I told him France and then England tomorrow he waved me through. No border checks into France.
I’d emailed the airport parking some weeks ago as my car has been there since 8th March, but as I’ve mentioned before they’d said to just go to the parking office when I arrived. When I got there it was closed with no one around. I stuck my ticket in the machine and it asked me for CHF2740! After a bit of a panic I found a ticket machine with a help button (not all of seem to have one) and explained my situation, he asked how many days I should have been there for and just charged me the 11 days which was a relief. I was also expecting a flat battery after 3 months so I’d brought a booster pack with me but the car started first time, so overall the journey couldn’t have gone smoother.

Definition of relief. Pleased for you. Hope you got a snap of the parking total!
latest report
On current rules feels like getting there is OK and then voluntary quarantine so a moral question if you break the voluntary rules.

Coming back more of a challenge as a requirement for a 14 day quarantine. All for a week away

This is all classic tit for tat diplomacy - personally I cant see what it’s doing other than pandering to the media who clamoured for isolation for those coming into the UK from countries with a high infection rate and because The UK border force don’t know where people’s journey initially started when they enter across the channel, cross channel gets caught as well

Guess the question is will the governments gets their heads together and reach a modified consensus my mid July.

Guess there must also be pressure from the UK tourist industry to keep Brits on holiday in the UK
snow conditions
https://reopen.europa.eu/en

Quite useful for up to date info.
latest report
“Good news” media opportunity when Macron is in London today?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy