Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Five Weeks in Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jimmer wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
extremerob wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

This is relative

50-70% chance of a lower than normal snowfall year.

Even if there was 100% certainty that the 2020/21 winter season would receive 50% of a normal snow year, that would still equate to 6.5m of snowfall at village level.

Most resorts around the world would give their eye teeth and right arm for 6.5m of snowfall at the top of the mountain!

Mike you're absolutely right about this point and I don't disagree with you - but lets be honest Japow last year was just not on. There were some great days yes, there were days which were akin to good days in Europe, but the consistency was not there in terms of cold temperatures and that tap of snow Japan is known for.

Hokkaido last year was consistently warm, the snow pack as far as I recall was one of the lowest it has ever been, average snowfall wasn't bad but you still had dry spells and clear days and alot of Sassa was visible. We were skiing 50cm blower POW in Kiroro in Feb - a deep day and one for the memory books, when Niseko had been bone dry, only to learn the next days overnight 20cm top-up turned into a few hours of rain during the early morning.

What I am saying is it doesn't look like Hokkaido will have a consistent good winter (they are also predicting above average temperature again) at least on the converse side Honshu is showing as cold and snowier.

Yeah, it wasn't wall to wall powder day after day.

But I was still getting 3 knee deep or deeper powder days a week from 01 Jan to 23 Feb.

Visa application has gone in and it looks like it's all going well. Fingers crossed.

Even if it isn't a stellar season, the lack of competition for powder will mean each fall lasts a bit longer.

Good to hear you applied for your visa! Hope you make it over

Thanks

Will be in touch re Japanese Embassy and COVID test if that's OK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boobleblooble wrote:
@Mike Pow, how have you gone about applying? I was looking at their site and UK tourist visas have been suspended for the foreseeable future. You seem to need some kind of connection e.g. family, work, study etc. Are you working?

I'm seriously considering doing a season out there in the next couple of years. It's 90 days to start with but then once out there you can apply for another 90. I don't know how likely it is that the extension would be granted, do you know anything?

Skilled Labour visa (ski instructor) via my long-time mate Ian's company Niseko WOW.

Think you have to leave the country at the 90-day mark and then come back in. Most go to S Korea for a couple of days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy