Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl under investigation

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52000039
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe the brits might need to look a bit closer to home https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/22/liverpool-atletico-madrid-coronavirus-champions-league . Hopefully there will be no bad consequences here but only time will tell.

As to Ischgl, maybe a business owner did deliberately hide evidence that his staff were infected and behaved recklessly, sure we will find out in the months to come. Equally possible they simply did not understand the enormity of all this until too late, plenty of that has been happening all over the globe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bad Ischgl, bad.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
munich_irish wrote:
Maybe the brits might need to look a bit closer to home https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/22/liverpool-atletico-madrid-coronavirus-champions-league . Hopefully there will be no bad consequences here but only time will tell.

As to Ischgl, maybe a business owner did deliberately hide evidence that his staff were infected and behaved recklessly, sure we will find out in the months to come. Equally possible they simply did not understand the enormity of all this until too late, plenty of that has been happening all over the globe.

What have brits got to do with this? It is the Austrian authorities who are going to look into things.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Bad Ischgl, bad.

No, Bad Ischl is on the other side of Austria wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:

You may be missing the point. On 1st March 14 Icelanders returned home with CV having visited Ischgl. Iceland declared Ischgl a non go area, in line with parts of ital and Wuhan. Austria declared this was nonsense, they caught it on the plane.

That is I would guess what needs to be investigated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suppose it's a comfort to some people to be able to blame one village or town for what is a global virus. Not sure it helps much, but there you go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, to be blunt, the handling of the situation in Ischgl and also St Anton was an absolute sh!tshow that will have resulted in more viral spread around Tirol as well as in Iceland, Norway and Germany and is probably the reason that we are all in total lockdown across Tirol. Not blaming the villages as such, but whoever was making the decision clearly left their braincells on the bus for a few days Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@rob@rar, to be blunt, the handling of the situation in Ischgl and also St Anton was an absolute sh!tshow that will have resulted in more viral spread around Tirol as well as in Iceland, Norway and Germany and is probably the reason that we are all in total lockdown across Tirol. Not blaming the villages as such, but whoever was making the decision clearly left their braincells on the bus for a few days Confused
Sure, but looking for blame for a virus which will spread across the world seems a pointless exercise to me. If it wasn't Ischgl or that village in Lombardy or New York City or any number of places it would be somewhere else. To me there seems to be an arrogance that humanity can control nature if it takes the right decisions, and we should castigate those who take the wrong decisions. Pointless thinking IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No point in "blaming" anyone. 2 weeks ago, nobody took this virus seriously (except in Asia).

munich_irish wrote:

In retrospect, those "business" decision to gloss over problems are careless and brain dead. But similar decision were made everyday and most of them worked brilliantly. So why wouldn't they do the same in the face of a global pandemic? rolling eyes ("Pandemic" is just another empty word that has no real meaning for most people up until now)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 23-03-20 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeterGee wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

You may be missing the point. On 1st March 14 Icelanders returned home with CV having visited Ischgl. Iceland declared Ischgl a non go area, in line with parts of ital and Wuhan. Austria declared this was nonsense, they caught it on the plane.

That is I would guess what needs to be investigated.

On the first point the epicentre of the outbreak in Ischgl does seem to be the Kitzloch, which was bought out over the summer for what would have been a very pretty penny, so there may have been a desire to try and cross fingers and stay open, hoping it wasn't Covid19. That said I think it's more likely that by the time one member of staff had gone from "feeling a bit under the weather" to thinking it might be Covid19 after all, they would have already infects a handful of customers and fellow staff anyway...who would have been infectious and working for a day or so before feeling too ill to work,...

On the second point I'm not sure it would ever be possible to say where they caught it if the Icelanders only developed symptoms after returning home (and if they'd had them in resort they should have reported/self isolated in resort, not boarded a plane home). If they picked it up in Ischgl they would probably have infected other people on the plane so others on the plane would have developed it, and then you're in to a chicken/egg game on who had it first. Or maybe they didn't catch it either in Ischgl or in the plane, but just walking past someone in the airport who'd just flown in from Italy, or...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 23-03-20 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
Sure, but looking for blame for a virus which will spread across the world seems a pointless exercise to me. If it wasn't Ischgl or that village in Lombardy or New York City or any number of places it would be somewhere else. To me there seems to be an arrogance that humanity can control nature if it takes the right decisions, and we should castigate those who take the wrong decisions. Pointless thinking IMO.

Before travelling to St Anton on 7th March I was watching what was happening. I trusted the Austrian answer as I could find little to support the Icelandic claim.

3 of our group (2 of whom are NHS workers) changed plans from Italy last minute. Those 2 have caught CV!
Had there been honesty, I do not think they would have gone to St Anton.

I think could have happened to anyone attitude is wrong. Austria had an obligation to be honest to let people make their minds up. The wrong decision being made seems like a deliberate cover up!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, Sure, these things can happen anywhere, but things like a managed evacuation should have been put in place (from what I've heard, things like visitors finding out while they're out skiing that the resort is closing and is going to be quarantined in an hour or so, trains cancelled so they can't leave by train, 2+ hour traffic queue at a police roadblock on the exit, visitors told to leave Austria immediately even though they have no prospect of a flight until the next day and leaving them to source emergency accommodation in another town...). Along with the viral spread, it is the chaos that will be investigated, and rightly so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And the UK still not monitoring the health of people coming in to the UK.

My partner's sister just returned to London Heathrow after a week in Dubai.

No checks in place at the airport.

I returned to the UK at the end of February after a winter in Hokkaido, Japan and transiting through Seoul and Amsterdam.

No checks in place at Cardiff Airport.

I would love for someone to explain this to me.

Especially in light of us going in to lockdown.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
I suppose it's a comfort to some people to be able to blame one village or town for what is a global virus. Not sure it helps much, but there you go.

If by "some people" you mean the Tyrol authorities, maybe you should take it up with them, not us. No idea if it is "a comfort" to them or not but I guess they want to find out what happened.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

I returned to the UK at the end of February after a winter in Hokkaido, Japan and transiting through Seoul and Amsterdam.

To add, St Anton was locked down at 19:00 on 13th March. Many guests returned from Iscghl and St Anton on 14th March. Free mingling at Innsbruck. No screening at Gatwick. Normal baggage collection mania!
snow conditions
PeterGee wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Before travelling to St Anton on 7th March I was watching what was happening. I trusted the Austrian answer as I could find little to support the Icelandic claim.

3 of our group (2 of whom are NHS workers) changed plans from Italy last minute. Those 2 have caught CV!

I think could have happened to anyone attitude is wrong. Austria had an obligation to be honest to let people make their minds up. The wrong decision being made seems like a deliberate cover up!

The first case in the Arlberg (a Norwegian tourist, who had come from Italy) was only recorded on the 5th March. The tourist was staying in Pettneu and supposedly self isolating (odd rumours that this may not have been the case and they still went skiing/apres, but stress these are only rumours). The first case in St Anton was confirmed March 11th, announcement of lift closures was in the evening of March 12th, and then the quarantine was effected March 13th. Not much you could have watched prior to your trip surely?

And yes, it probably could have happened to anybody. With the location of some of Italy's ski resorts, Innsbruck airport is regularly used for flights to both Italian and Austrian resorts, and also Munich and Zurich are used for people travelling internationally, plus the road and rail connections, so not difficult to see how it was thought that those cases from Iceland came from the flight home. Even more so if they didn't have any symptoms upon leaving (and if they already had symptoms, surely they should have had a responsibility to notify the Austrians before leaving?)
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

What sort of checks would you like to see given that the general population is not being tested?
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

What sort of checks would you like to see given that the general population is not being tested?

Other countries are monitoring body temperature, which is one of the signs of infection.

If body temperature is elevated then instruct person(s) to self-isolate for 'x' days
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@rob@rar, Sure, these things can happen anywhere, but things like a managed evacuation should have been put in place (from what I've heard, things like visitors finding out while they're out skiing that the resort is closing and is going to be quarantined in an hour or so, trains cancelled so they can't leave by train, 2+ hour traffic queue at a police roadblock on the exit, visitors told to leave Austria immediately even though they have no prospect of a flight until the next day and leaving them to source emergency accommodation in another town...). Along with the viral spread, it is the chaos that will be investigated, and rightly so.

Not sure how this could have been managed better given the lack of information given to the tourist office and Gemeinde in St Anton. From what I understand (and colleagues phoning to enquire as t was unravelling) the first they knew about the lockdown was when it was announced by Kurz in his speech shortly after 2pm local time. The train station closed and buses out of St Anton stopped, and from what I understand from a friend working and living in Anton who tried to get out, by 5pm exit was only for non Austrian guests (had to have a form from your accommodation providers), any workers regardless of nationality and any Austrian nationals (workers or visitors) were unable to leave. When people are given that sort of time frame and no knowledge that, as a visitor, they would still be able to leave resort, you're going to get the panic/chaos that ensued. From what I experienced on that day (I was on one of the last busses out to get me back to my seasonal accommodation in one of the outlying villages, which weren't in the quarantine, and have been self isolating since), it stemmed more from the national or state level than it did the local.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Other countries are monitoring body temperature, which is one of the signs of infection.

If body temperature is elevated then instruct person(s) to self-isolate for 'x' days
How reliable is that temperature scanning?
ski holidays
@Sitter, It doesn't really matter which level of authority was in charge, they didn't really consider the consequences of their actions or didn't communicate them effectively. Tourists without transport should have been left in situ until they could be bussed directly to the airport, and they should have been reassured that they would still be able to leave to get their flights.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

While it does have some benefits, apparently it isn't particularly effective. Too many people that may be infected but not having any kind of temperature slip through the net, and too many people that have a temperature than is actually nothing to do with Covid-19 (or just a false reading)

The danger is that some countries have relied on this method, and it actually gives them a false sense of security. Then then find out weeks later how ineffective it's been but then it's too late.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-airport-screening-wont-stop-spread-coronavirus

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 23-03-20 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

How reliable is that temperature scanning?

Interesting.

Seems to have worked in HK
snow conditions
I am waiting for my physio appointment, they checking temperatures before properly letting you in. Interestingly unlike the forehead scanners they used in Turin when we flew out there, they were using it on the neck because the forehead can sometimes under read.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@Sitter, It doesn't really matter which level of authority was in charge, they didn't really consider the consequences of their actions or didn't communicate them effectively. Tourists without transport should have been left in situ until they could be bussed directly to the airport, and they should have been reassured that they would still be able to leave to get their flights.

They were to an extent. Once the lockdown was initiated, tourists were only allowed out either in their own car, or on organised busses to Landeck train station where they could then go to wherever. Would've been a logistical nightmare trying to get people to airports as there are so many that people use for St Anton: Innsbruck, Munich, Zurich, Friedrichshafen, Memmingen, some even go further to Stuttgart. Add to the the fact that not everybody without their own transport flies, there's plenty of train and bus connections too. Either way, it should all come out when they look at it in more detail, and as the saying goes, everybody is a professor with hindsight.
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
PeterGee wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

The first case in the Arlberg (a Norwegian tourist, who had come from Italy) was only recorded on the 5th March. The tourist was staying in Pettneu and supposedly self isolating (odd rumours that this may not have been the case and they still went skiing/apres, but stress these are only rumours). The first case in St Anton was confirmed March 11th, announcement of lift closures was in the evening of March 12th, and then the quarantine was effected March 13th. Not much you could have watched prior to your trip surely?

And yes, it probably could have happened to anybody. With the location of some of Italy's ski resorts, Innsbruck airport is regularly used for flights to both Italian and Austrian resorts, and also Munich and Zurich are used for people travelling internationally, plus the road and rail connections, so not difficult to see how it was thought that those cases from Iceland came from the flight home. Even more so if they didn't have any symptoms upon leaving (and if they already had symptoms, surely they should have had a responsibility to notify the Austrians before leaving?)

I am sorry i disagree. For me the issue was Austrians denied the Ischgl link from 1st March. They are accused of covering things up. That is why it needs investigating
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

UK is in good company with the US.

JFK has no check whatsoever. And New York is now THE hot spot.

I’m in a pissy mood. I think all the hot spots should let their residents who wish to leave go. Let them go to the countryside where people are still going about their business as usual or resisting the call for distance.

Let them all catch it! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3040483/ , google translate does a reasonable job but a brief summary is that there are allegations (from German TV station ZDF) that there was a case of the virus in Ischgl at the end of February that was covered up by those who knew about it. It is being investigated by various agencies in Tirol but it is very unclear whether the person involved was actually tested (probably unlikely) or just felt unwell.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bad Ischgl

Is that the resort where Emperor Franz Joseph signed the declaration of war in his Imperial Villa on July 28 1914? Its remoteness from Vienna and poor communications may have had some influence on the start of the war
snow report
[quote="abc]

Let them all catch it! rolling eyes[/quote]

possibly a certainty Skullie
latest report
abc wrote:

rolling eyes
snow report
The BBC are now saying that doctors in Verbier have asked for a quarantine, and have said that it is a hub for infections.

"Doctors in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier have asked for entire town to be put into quarantine, saying it has become a “hub” for infections. One doctor estimates up to 60% of the town is infected. The local authority says national restrictions are sufficient and quarantine is not a solution".
ski holidays
@PrimroseAndBlue, this was discussed on the Verbier thread the other day (cant find the link now). From what I can remember (and also google translate from French which is not ideal) the proposal has not met with universal approval by either the local / cantonal government or all the doctors. Might have misunderstood though. I certainly would not be surprised about the 60% number, I suspect when all this is said and done we will find that very large numbers of people have or have had the virus, most of whom will have not known and a few are very seriously ill.
snow report
@munich_irish, depends what you mean by an few'. A small percentage is possible, but the actual numbers may still make uncomfortable reading.
snow report
@achilles, agree that given the circumstances the small percentage adds up to a lot of people. If you do get ill it is pretty unpleasant, people who die effectively drown (assuming the other body organs do not give out first). The accounts from people working in the hospitals treating people are not an easy read. Not good at all but even if 60% of the current folk in Verbier do have the virus the actual number who will be in that critical situation is likely to be small. Places like London and New York are a far greater concern.
ski holidays
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
The BBC are now saying that doctors in Verbier have asked for a quarantine, and have said that it is a hub for infections.

"Doctors in the Swiss ski resort of Verbier have asked for entire town to be put into quarantine, saying it has become a “hub” for infections. One doctor estimates up to 60% of the town is infected. The local authority says national restrictions are sufficient and quarantine is not a solution".

From a mate living in Verbier

His words, not mine

"Greedy fuc***g Romanian quack in the village charging fortunes for testing...disgrace.

We're well past any peak...and yes I think the asymptomatic comment fair,

we've all had it over half term and barely noticed...aches, low energy, loss of smell....3 days....a load of bo**ocks."
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

His words, not mine

"Greedy fuc***g Romanian quack in the village charging fortunes for testing...disgrace.

we've all had it over half term and barely noticed...aches, low energy, loss of smell....3 days....a load of bo**ocks."

Humm, not the classic symptoms of Covid19 - and if they all had it at half term that must make it about the first place in Europe to have an infection (Italy's first case was only at the very end of Jan and it would take a few weeks for everyone, even in a ski resort, to catch it). If I were a betting man and everyone in a ski resort caught something that had different symptoms to Covid19 and caught it before Covid19 had really got a grip on Europe I'd put my money on that being a different winter bug.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

His words, not mine

Humm, not the classic symptoms of Covid19 - and if they all had it at half term that must make it about the first place in Europe to have an infection (Italy's first case was only at the very end of Jan and it would take a few weeks for everyone, even in a ski resort, to catch it). If I were a betting man and everyone in a ski resort caught something that had different symptoms to Covid19 and caught it before Covid19 had really got a grip on Europe I'd put my money on that being a different winter bug.

Quite possibly
snow report
PeterGee wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

To add, St Anton was locked down at 19:00 on 13th March. Many guests returned from Iscghl and St Anton on 14th March. Free mingling at Innsbruck. No screening at Gatwick. Normal baggage collection mania!

We where bussed out of Galtur on the evening of Friday 13 March, amid a bit of chaos as there where no Crystal Reps. A 1 hours journey taking 5, to a hotel out of area. Various texts from Crystal, one saying we would be given face masks at Innsbruck. No such thing, on arrival at a Police checkpoint at the airport the mini bus driver told them he/we had come from Imml (where the hotel was), straight through. Through check in and security, no one giving out masks, no staff wearing them. A few signs to say cough/sneeze in to tissues and throw them away and dont put things in your mouth. In departure lounge, there was a few with face masks on. The only airport worker I saw in a mask/gloves was in Passport control, his colleague sat next to him wore no PPE. So it appeared the info going around was either just being ignored or not being taken seriously. At Newcastle airport, there where no checks on arriving passengers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy