Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Charliegolf wrote:
Ryunis wrote:

I'm sorry but this 'girl' is not representative of her generation so to use her as a benchmark is not fair and if you think this is an expectation other people her age can replicate, then you are completely out of touch with reality.

Missing something here... Is this 'girl' booking a ski trip?

Not as far as I know
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least there shouldn’t be much commercial traffic on New Year’s Day @ecureuil,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charliegolf, Aussois about 20min drive from Val Cennis
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robs1 wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
Ryunis wrote:

I'm sorry but this 'girl' is not representative of her generation so to use her as a benchmark is not fair and if you think this is an expectation other people her age can replicate, then you are completely out of touch with reality.

Missing something here... Is this 'girl' booking a ski trip?

Not as far as I know

You cant ski if you're saving 5k a year on a shelf stacker's wage! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thunderer wrote:

Cheers Thunderer. I've been searching for the season pass that does all the resorts: can you post a linky please? Ta.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thunderer wrote:

Lovely little resort we had a day there a couple of years ago
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Charliegolf, https://www.aussois.ski/Intern
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thunderer, Brill ta.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Some people use the term to mean somewhere close by that you can reach within a day's driving, which in the US can mean quite a distance away."

Surely a day's driving in any country can mean quite a distance away? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thunderer wrote:
At least there shouldn’t be much commercial traffic on New Year’s Day

There might not be any trains either .... Lack-of-agreement-on-Channel-Tunnel-safety-rules-could-halt-UK-France-trains

... although I would think this is fairly high on the priority list of things to be resolved
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecureuil wrote:
thunderer wrote:
At least there shouldn’t be much commercial traffic on New Year’s Day

There might not be any trains either .... Lack-of-agreement-on-Channel-Tunnel-safety-rules-could-halt-UK-France-trains

... although I would think this is fairly high on the priority list of things to be resolved

Yes dec 31 safety rules that both countries agree on and implemented by euro tunnel are ok.
Jan 1st those same rules applied by the same company suddenly arent ok .
Glad to see the lunatics are out in force, how the people who create this poo-poo do so with a straight face is beyond me
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Calling the pandemic situation for Jan/Feb now is very difficult. Going purely by pattern of previous pandemics (and even usual flu years) it doesn't seem normal for cases to rise and stay at a steady high level throughout winter in northern climates but rather come and go over ~3 month bursts. So I'm expecting this wave to be well onto downslope by late Nov/early Dec but potentially returning again in 3rd wave in new year. The question being how traumatised society is and what the general government narrative around that is at that time as well as whether another uptick has already started . Think they'll be *very* cautious on Feb half term ski trips given the (rather mistaken to my mind) blame they received this year for igniting spread in Europe. If trips are perceived to be at all threatening our "success in bringing cases down" then the gov will fear the blowback and be extremely reserved in what they allow. Conversely, the French seem to keep playing with the idea of taking a more liberal approach, the Swiss have quite explicitly aligned more on a Swedish model, and the economic drivers in Austria are of course very strong to get something going. Really hope so, less for my own trip which I'm ready to write off, but for family and friends I know whose livelihoods depend on it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sheffskibod wrote:
We have bit the bullet and booked a week in Selva at Xmas (19-26th) with Crystal...the amazing Hotel Tyrol.

They offered 2 for 1 on lift passes which saved us about £ 550 and we had a voucher to use from a cancelled Crystal holiday in April this year (which got refunded in full eventually).

Have only paid £ 400 deposit and balance due end September by which time it may be clearer if we are in a full on 2nd wave or not...

If it gets kaiboshed - I have security that Crystal will refund in full..

And if we go and skiing is limited - the Tyrol is a nice place to relax anyway.

And if we go and its all open , I predict it will be a quiet week as the hordes will arrive as we leave !

Still undecided whether to proceed with this or not. Crystal is offering free amendments up to 28 days before departure and the family is leaning towards bumping this to Xmas 2021.
So we have until next week-end to make a decision. After that , if Crystal cancels - we will get a refund , but if they say holiday is on and we do not want to go - we will lose out.

Even if everything manages to re-open in time for our departure and the various curves have peaked and dropped - it may well be a bit weird (and inappropriate?) to go while Italy (and us) will still be presumably be reporting hundreds of deaths per day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sheffskibod,
Bump the trip to next year and book last minute for this year if skiing becomes viable. Keeps your options open.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Bump the trip to next year and book last minute for this year if skiing becomes viable.

2021 is next year
latest report
@johnE, I think it was obvious what he meant. Seems like good advice.
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:

Still undecided whether to proceed with this or not. Crystal is offering free amendments up to 28 days before departure and the family is leaning towards bumping this to Xmas 2021.
So we have until next week-end to make a decision. After that , if Crystal cancels - we will get a refund , but if they say holiday is on and we do not want to go - we will lose out.

Even if everything manages to re-open in time for our departure and the various curves have peaked and dropped - it may well be a bit weird (and inappropriate?) to go while Italy (and us) will still be presumably be reporting hundreds of deaths per day.

This is starting to feel eerily like March 2020... At that time, a evidenced by various threads on here, the focus shifted from "I really hope skiing remains open in Italy/Switzerland/France etc." to "Why won't the FCO issue advice against travel, so that I can claim on insurance/don't have to go". The whole atmosphere changed from "how to I go skiing" to "how do I not go skiing without losing all the sunk cost".

In your position I'd be bumping the pre-arranged trip and planning for a family Xmas at home. Usually by this point in the year I've got at least £5k invested in flights, car rental and season ski passes. This year the number is... zero.
snow conditions
I have nothing booked (usually 2 x solo/friends weeks and 2 x family weeks booked or planned by now). If the stars align and I don't have to quarantine more than a week on the way home, I'll jump last minute. Otherwise, I think that Easter is looking like to only family trip with potential and I will try for a couple of weeks somewhere high in France.

Xmas and half-term are notoriously busy, even if the areas are open. Any restrictions will make school holiday trips painful (lunch on the mountain?!) and they are expensive enough in a good year.

I completely agree with the moral question about going skiing whilst there is a pandemic going on. Sure, businesses in ski areas have to earn a living but travelling to another country for a bit of a jolly is definitely 'unnecessary travel'....... I really want to go though and have everything crossed that I can get on the snow this season.
snow report
I’ve optimistically booked Eurotunnel for Easter
snow report
yip, mystic meg told me that easter will be fine so we booked VT for family Easter trip, staying in Orelle. Booked trough the tourist office with good cancellation terms. Driving from Ireland, usually go feb half term but changed to later. French school hols not until 10 april so hopefully wont be too rammed. All quarantine will be lifted by then anyway she said!
snow report
Boris wrote:
I’ve optimistically booked Eurotunnel for Easter

Ditto and our usual campsite in Venosc for Les Deux Alpes. We did pay a little more for COVID cancellation but not much. And Eurotunnel were amazing. My booking from Easter this year, which they had rolled over as far as it could go, was replaced in total with a voucher for the whole amount. Excellent customer service. Just keeping my fingers x now.
snow report
@Michelle63, is that the Champ du Moulin by any chance? We have had a few summers and one winter trip there in our MH. Great spot and lovely friendly owners.
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer,
Quote:

Xmas and half-term are notoriously busy, even if the areas are open

Christmas week is never especially busy (maybe 60%), and of course this year it starts on 19th December. Given the circumstances, I doubt whether the half term period (which of course is different weeks for each country) will be anything like as busy as usual.
Having said that I know an accommodation provider of our mutual acquaintance, who has eight weeks booked, including the whole of February - all British guests. Clearly there are some optimists out there!
snow report
Harvamnia wrote:
@Michelle63, is that the Champ du Moulin by any chance? We have had a few summers and one winter trip there in our MH. Great spot and lovely friendly owners.

Yep, should be our 5th time there. I work in a school so fly in Feb half term but drive at Easter. It’s a fab campsite, I like a little bit of comfort. The restaurant, sauna and boot room mean less damp stuff in the van and the chance for a nice meal.
snow report
I have sent request for my deposit to be returned for the accommodation over Christmas in Austria. When we booked and I brought it up we were told we could get refund upto 14days before travel. With the Austria lockdown not scheduled to be lifted until inside that 14days, the U.K. FCDO advice won’t be changing until after that, so can’t now risk it. Sad

I still have flights booked for Easter.

Wonder if EasyJet will be cancelling those flights or if I will need to reschedule for some other time ahead of rescheduling again for 2021/22 season.
latest report
We still have our Snowbombing trip booked which was carried over from last year. Surprisingly they are still selling tickets but have promised a refund or another transfer to 2022.

To be honest I'd be happy to go without the festival part.

I'm going to leave booking the flights until the last minute as Lufthansa were a total nightmare when it came to getting a refund.
snow report
Part of my reason for booking Easter is that, while it is traditionally off-season for skiing, given likely compressed nature of season it may get very busy!!!
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Part of my reason for booking Easter is that, while it is traditionally off-season for skiing, given likely compressed nature of season it may get very busy!!!

That was my thinking too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
@sheffskibod,
Bump the trip to next year and book last minute for this year if skiing becomes viable. Keeps your options open.

This is what we finally decided to do.

Bumped same exact hol to Dec 20th 2021

Wasn’t desperate for the money back and we would have probably booked this week away regardless.

So not worth playing poker with Crystal to wait for them to cancel (and thus refund)

We decided as a family it is too risky to travel this year (not afraid of COVID per se but one or more of us catching it abroad and being unable to travel home is the main worry)

Plus the Italians are having as bad a time as us (or worse ) so felt would be rather selfish to go even if things opened up...

If situation improves later this season we may still try and fit a week in but case numbers would have to be way down.
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, +1.
Safe and smart. It's a world in pandemic. That shall pass, but for the meantime I find myself totally off the mountains.
ski holidays
OP here.
I went ahead and booked Zell Am See for Mid March. Cheap flights with amendments if required. Free cancelation on hotel. Ski passes will
book out there.

Anybody booking Austria for next year?
latest report
Still sticking with the plan. I much prefer January skiing and its pretty clear that even if its possible its going to be a stress-fest and not a holiday. If the weather holds cold into spring I might be tempted but also if the virus situation improves markedly it'll be holiday period busy every week and likely expensive too.

So, Its January 2022 I'm thinking of now. I just wonder how much more expensive than last January it's going to be.
snow report
Quote:

Anybody booking Austria for next year?

I am, in a similar configuration. Easy cancellable, driving there, ski passes upon arrival. Booked for March. Still attempting a mid-December one, but we'll see, I have a better chance at predicting the weather than skiing these days Smile

Quote:

So, Its January 2022 I'm thinking of now. I just wonder how much more expensive than last January it's going to be.

I think the main challenge isn't necessarily prices going up, but availability going massively down. If we're out of this mess by then, I reckon a lot of people will just want to get out as much as possible after being confined. Obviously high demand will also drive up prices, but sadly it's not like they can build 20 extra hotels for next year Smile so supply will kinda stay the same.
snow conditions
I personally know nine separate groups of people, including several families with children, who have booked to go skiing to Saalbach during January and February. All British, and all apparently adopting an optimistic "wait and see" approach. That doesn't include the several holiday home owners, who are planning to arrive in late November or early December.
ski holidays
I have a holiday to alpe d'huez booked for late January, and have adopted a strict policy of denial that anythings wrong, seems to be working, I'd highly recommend it, denial really takes the worry out of things! Very Happy
snow report
Jakey wrote:
I'd highly recommend it, denial really takes the worry out of things! Very Happy

Was that advice from Donald Trump?
latest report
Austria's Minister of Tourism on the winter season
"I'm not at all afraid of being infected there"
When can the ski lifts start up again? Angela Merkel calls for the winter sports areas to be closed. Austria's Minister of Tourism, Elisabeth Köstinger, doesn't think so - the vacation in her country is safe.
An interview by Claus Hecking • November 27, 2020, 1:17 a.m.

SPIEGEL: Minister, you and your Chancellor Sebastian Kurz promised in September that there would be "skiing fun" this winter. Would you still say that despite soaring infection numbers and a new lockdown with curfews, schools and business closings?

Elisabeth Köstinger: We will do everything we can to ensure that the number of infections falls and that a winter holiday in Austria is possible. I assume that we can do this with a joint effort. Tourism is indispensable for all of Austria, especially for the rural regions. And we showed in the summer: Holidays in Austria are safe.

SPIEGEL: Chancellor Angela Merkel has doubts about that. She calls for the Europe-wide closure of all ski areas.

Köstinger: I can't get anything out of this approach. That is also not a European responsibility. I don't know on what legal basis the EU should order the closure of ski areas. Apart from that, Austria is taking all measures to enable safe holidays. You don't get the virus on the slopes, but when you party afterwards. That's why there won't be any après-ski this year.

SPIEGEL: How do you want to ensure that a skiing holiday in Austria is safe?

Köstinger: By eliminating all sources of danger. There are comprehensive concepts for the winter season that guarantee this security. Our Ministry of Health has carried out detailed cluster analyzes of previous infections. In the hotel and catering industry, the incidence of infections was very low. Most cases occur where people know each other well: in the family environment and in the leisure sector. We also have the largest free trial program for hotel and tourism employees in Europe . More than 500,000 tests have now been carried out. Before Christmas we will test the population all over Austria.

SPIEGEL: But last March, thousands of ski tourists in Austria were infected with the virus. You can't afford a second Ischgl .

Köstinger: We couldn't afford the first Ischgl either. But we all learned something new in dealing with the corona pandemic.

"The situation in gondolas is no different from that in a subway or tram."
SPIEGEL: What if the neighbor coughs in the gondola or in the bubble chair lift?

Köstinger: 85 percent of all lifts are open anyway, in the fresh air. The covers of the chairlifts are partly removed, partly they cannot be closed. And wearing mouth and nose protection is mandatory in all lifts. The situation in gondolas is no different than in a subway or tram. The operators are instructed to always ensure fresh air supply. And there is no cable car in Austria that takes longer than 15 minutes to travel. The risk of infection is low.

SPIEGEL: Images recently went through the social networks. In Austrian ski areas such as the Zillertal or Kaunertal glacier, they showed crowds of tourists crowding in front of cable car stations.

Köstinger: These pictures from the Zillertal and Kaunertal were catastrophic. We held intensive discussions with the cable car operators so that this would not happen again. The operators have comprehensive prevention concepts that they also implement. There are floor markings and disinfectant dispensers everywhere at the entry and exit points. And on the following weekend, these scenes no longer existed: because the health authorities and the police took over control on site. The cable car companies learned quickly - and so did the skiers. We trust that after nine months of the pandemic, people will have internalized the rules.

SPIEGEL: But what if some don't follow the rules?

Köstinger: Every cable car company has its Corona officer. There will be security services at critical points, and police or cable car employees will also take over supervision.

SPIEGEL: How should that work with food - in deep winter, in closed rooms?

Köstinger: With 50 or more guests, every company has to present a prevention concept. These include: regular ventilation, sufficient space, strict rules at the buffet. Employees and guests must wear mouth and nose protection and guests are only allowed to take off their masks at the table.

SPIEGEL: Then they can still infect each other.
Köstinger: You can do that in other places within your group. Personal responsibility is required here. Our concept prevents the different groups from infecting each other. You know: in the summer we had an eruption on Lake Wolfgang. This cluster mainly affected young employees. It was able to be completely contained within a very short time without many visitors being infected. We carried out thousands of tests on site - and had extremely fast contact person management. That worked extremely well.

SPIEGEL: What have you prepared in case there is an outbreak in a ski resort?

Köstinger: If guests need health care, it will of course be made available to them anyway. The tourist regions have agreed on a system of "safe houses" for milder developments. That means: Special accommodations are provided in which the corona infected are accommodated. They can no longer infect each other. This is how we ensure maximum security for everyone involved. In consultation with the German health authorities, infected people can also be brought home without symptoms.

SPIEGEL: The restaurateurs have invested a lot of time and money in their new concepts. Nevertheless, they had to close in early November, in the second lockdown.

Köstinger: My heart bleeds that we had to close the catering and hotel tourism business even though they did everything to create maximum security. But we had to restrict contacts, and the exit restrictions from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. are taking a large part of its business away from the catering trade. It was important to me to compensate the companies as much as possible for the failures. We replace them up to 80 percent of their turnover. And the strict measures now open up prospects for the winter season.

SPIEGEL: But what if the season is cancelled or starts late, as the governments of Germany, France and Italy are calling for?

Köstinger : We don't give France any advice as to when it can open the Louvre again. Nor do we prescribe in Italy or Germany when cafes, restaurants or schools can reopen. Each country should make its own decision based on its infection rate. The EU Commission has now made it clear that it does not intend to regulate this across Europe.

SPIEGEL: What do you do if the number of infections does rise again in January after the lockdown is lifted?

Köstinger: It is clear that we will have to prepare for tough, difficult months, not just in Austria, but throughout Europe. We will do everything we can to ensure that the number of infections remains down - with strict hygiene concepts and more personnel.

SPIEGEL: How much tourism do you expect this winter?

Köstinger: We now expect a slump of up to 50 percent compared to normal years. That's a problem. The hotel industry in Austria has only eight percent equity base.

SPIEGEL: How do you intend to prevent companies from going bankrupt en masse?

Köstinger: We provide guarantees for loans, hourly taxes, offer fixed cost subsidies, and short-time work for employees. We have reduced the sales tax for restaurants and hotels to five percent. And we offer the companies a reimbursement of 80 percent of the turnover compared to the same period in 2019. In the holiday hotel industry, the majority of the companies will make it: with massive support from the state. How big the support has to be depends on the number of visitors.

SPIEGEL: What does it depend on how many guests come?

"The risk of getting infected in a hotel in Hamburg is no smaller or greater than in a hotel in Serfaus."

Köstinger: Almost half of the visitors come from Germany. The quarantine requirement for returnees from Austria currently applies there. The greatest risk of infection comes from acquaintances - not from the hotel industry, where people wear masks and keep their distance. The risk of getting infected in a hotel in Hamburg is no smaller or greater than in a hotel in Serfaus in Tyrol . In my opinion, it would be key here to enable the most free. That means: If you come from Austria, a negative PCR test should be sufficient and you don't have to be in quarantine for days.

SPIEGEL: Virologists would disagree: In some patients in the early stages, the tests show no infection. Do you expect the German authorities to be convinced of your argument?

Köstinger: I believe that we need to deal with the corona pandemic differently. Of course, measures such as wearing mouth and nose protection, keeping your distance and maintaining hygiene are necessary. But I believe that quick tests will be a real game changer. We use them to filter out super spreaders very quickly. You know, we are the only country in the world that regularly tests employees in the hotel and catering industry. In the summer, we were able to isolate employees who tested positive very quickly, and the virus did not spread.

SPIEGEL: Will you go skiing yourself this coming winter?

Köstinger: Definitely . I'm not at all afraid of getting infected there. Distance, mouth and nose protection and hygiene concepts ensure maximum safety; there is no après-ski. And you don't get the virus out skiing. I'm looking forward to skiing fun.
snow report
The voice of reason, TBH what is the difference in taking the tube or train journey & a lot of skiers already wear a face mask. Toofy Grin
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:
The voice of reason, TBH what is the difference in taking the tube or train journey & a lot of skiers already wear a face mask. Toofy Grin

COVID was in London in January, February and March 2020 when on average 3-4m people a day used public transport with no social distancing and in most cases you had your face in someone's arm pit. There is a theory that London and surrounding areas are already at heard immunity due to the early part of the year.

That aside, the person in the interview is 100% right. Take restaurants and bars out of the equation and skiing is not dangerous from a CVOVID perspective.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

COVID was in London in January, February and March 2020 when on average 3-4m people a day used public transport with no social distancing and in most cases you had your face in someone's arm pit. There is a theory that London and surrounding areas are already at heard immunity due to the early part of the year.

That aside, the person in the interview is 100% right. Take restaurants and bars out of the equation and skiing is not dangerous from a CVOVID perspective.

The cases in London are rising currently while the rest of the UK is falling so I don't think that quite works. But that could be just due to sheer number of people in London making lockdown less effective.

Either way, skiing seems fine if you take out cramming people into bars. Frankly I'd welcome some Apres on a quiet section of ice, or on a road or something but I can't see it happening
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy