Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Times piece is very lazy lumping Switzerland, Canada and US together - the latter two where there’s a ban on travel and totally different circumstances for each of them. It’s like he ran out of time and couldn’t find anything on Google...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris wrote:
Quote:

the ultimate sloping-off staycation.

If you go to Scotland skiing it's not a staycation - it's a holiday

A staycation is staying at home

Sorry pet peeve

Ahem..... Toofy Grin

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I live in Wales and consider holidaying in Scotland as staycation in my own country
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A staycation is not even English - it is an American word combining stay (as in stay at home) and vacation, an American holiday. I am with Boris in considering it a wrong description for holidaying in far distant parts of your home country. Would a New Yorker be having a Staycation if they holidayed in Hawaii?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
people will argue over anything in any thread.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
people will argue over anything in any thread.
. No they won’t!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not in this thread!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
esaw1 wrote:
Not in this thread!

Who invited you, get lost.... snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobinS wrote:
I am with Boris in considering it a wrong description for holidaying in far distant parts of your home country. Would a New Yorker be having a Staycation if they holidayed in Hawaii?

It's not so black and white.

Some people use the term to mean somewhere close by that you can reach within a day's driving, which in the US can mean quite a distance away.

With that fuzzy definition, some people's concept of "stayvacation" can be rather adventurous seen by others. I used to live within an hour of the Canadian border. So on weekends, we would drive cross the border and Toronto for dinner. It's a 4 hour drive. But on very good highway and practically no border control, it feels the same as say, driving to Chicago, which is the nearest big city that just about everybody goes to frequently to get their "city fix". So a "staycastion" that includes a day trip to Toronto would be perfectly acceptable.

For many others however, that's going to a "foreign country"! A proper holiday.

So if someone mentally feels Scotland as "close to home" enough to call it a "staycation", it's just a typical communication idiosyncrasy. A bit of a stretch for some.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 23-09-20 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the UK version is a holistay.

Andy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a suspicion that there's a journalist bias re staycations that explains the current glut of articles: isn't it much easier to write first-hand accounts of trips in the UK because travel businesses are more willing to underwrite the cost of a free holiday for the journos involved (in 6pt at the bottom - 'Justin and Samantha's trip was provided by ....')? This compared to a holiday abroad.

I remember talking to the local ski resort Tourist Office manager about an article in The Guardian about the place. Turned out it was written by a freelancer over 2 years earlier and, of course, on the basis of a couple of free places in the chalet mentioned (worth £3K), free equipment hire from the rental shop (not mentioned, much to their annoyance) and a free ski pass from the lift company. Turned out the journo thought the place was terrific and really great value compared to 'expensive Verbier'. No ****, Sherlock?

I'm speculating that this source of freebies has dried up and what's on offer is more local. So that's what we're getting in the press at the moment. But then I'm a cynic.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As someone who occasionally goes on press trips, what you're suggesting doesn't make any sense (in the context of ski trips anyway). The 'freebies' would have happened last season, and would have been to mainly quarantined countries now. Travel editors are looking for articles on places you can travel to now...so Scotland, Bulgaria, Sweden etc.

Surely everyone who reads travel pieces understands there's a certain quid pro quo involved. It doesn't mean you gloss over the negatives, but every resort has its pros and its cons. If I go to the Pyrenees, I'm not going to criticise it for not having huge ski areas like the Tarentaise, I'm interested in the authenticity; the mix of French and Catalan/Spanish culture and the benefits of going to a smaller resort.

Trickier for journalists this winter - do you go to Poland this season, write up and article and then find it spiked because by next winter, it's all back to 'normal' again? Something we discuss in Episode 59 of The Ski Podcast
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@iainm, I would imagine nobody gets rich writing about skiing and editors probably don't value such articles enough to cover the costs of going. So, yes, it needs to be free and I think readers (just like LaForet) are savvy enough to recognise biased stuff when they see it.

It's now hard to see how very many people actually get away in ski season 20/21 because quarantine is all but assured from nearly all decent destinations and likelihood of uninsurable sudden lock downs must feature large in decision making. Anyone with a job probably won't want quarantine. Can't be long before Italy is added to the list because their rate is 17/100k and it only needs to go up a notch.

I have a group trip to Italy in December. Half have pulled out citing the potential for quarantine on return. I have also just learned that transfer buses can only fill 60% of the seats. In simple mathematical terms it's a doubling of the transfer cost. Just another factor making it tricky.

I'm calling it. It's 'donald ducked'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it would be safer to spend Christmas with only your own household in a self catering ski apartment than to have the traditional Christmas extended family lunch at home and relatives staying for a few days. The ski industry needs to convey this to the government. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, I think the Government's answer would likely be "do neither" rather than lifting the quarantine Skullie

If I had to buy my season lift pass today, I wouldn't... Fortunately, I've got a month for things to get worse before I have to make that decision!
latest report
snowymum wrote:
I think it would be safer to spend Christmas with only your own household in a self catering ski apartment than to have the traditional Christmas extended family lunch at home and relatives staying for a few days. The ski industry needs to convey this to the government. Toofy Grin

and even safer to spend Christmas with only your own household in your own home Wink
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
snowymum wrote:

and even safer to spend Christmas with only your own household in your own home Wink

You need to read up on the dangers in homes over Xmas.
snow report
Section 75 question if anyone knows please? Our group’s balances are due in a few weeks, holiday booked last February. We’re all planning on paying with credit cards for the additional security, but one person doesn’t have a credit card - if another couple pay her balance on their card (she’ll give them the cash), and the worst happens, can the Section 75 claim be made for the three people who paid on that card? Sorry if it’s a daft question with an obvious answer, but never had to do it before. TIA
ski holidays
Montana wrote:
Section 75 question if anyone knows please? Our group’s balances are due in a few weeks, holiday booked last February. We’re all planning on paying with credit cards for the additional security, but one person doesn’t have a credit card - if another couple pay her balance on their card (she’ll give them the cash), and the worst happens, can the Section 75 claim be made for the three people who paid on that card? Sorry if it’s a daft question with an obvious answer, but never had to do it before. TIA

Maybe but maybe not.

See quick questions section here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/
latest report
Would paying by credit card protect anyone ? If either government involved in the holiday say you cant go its not the tour operators fault so why would the card company pay a refund.
Even less likely if quarantine is required on return as that isnt a problem for many
snow report
I went ahead and booked flights to Japan for mid-Jan to mid-Feb 2021.

I'm 90% sure I won't be able to go, but the price was good.

The BA voucher policy is good, and I have no doubt I'll be able to use the money stored in the voucher for something else (potentially Japan 2022) if I have to cancel.

I'm hoping to ski in Europe this winter too, but I won't make any plans in advance for that!
ski holidays
I transferred my Snowbombing booking from this years cancelled event to April 2021. Who knows if it will go ahead in 2021.
snow report
I’m pretty optimistic about 20/21 tbh - if only because they’ll need to find a way of allowing travel (whether that’s testing or corridors) and skiing (French resorts have already set out proposed restrictions) - and obviously because Mr Johnson says generally all we have to do is be optimistic and all will be well. This latest round of restrictions shows they’re looking to balance the economy and transmission so I still think that with some limitations we’ll be able to travel. And/or a vaccine may be available, even if privately.

I’ve got two lots of flights booked (both v cheap) and a season pass (not v cheap, but half price).
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
A staycation is not even English - it is an American word combining stay (as in stay at home) and vacation, an American holiday. I am with Boris in considering it a wrong description for holidaying in far distant parts of your home country. Would a New Yorker be having a Staycation if they holidayed in Hawaii?
I am with you on that, it drives me scatty. It isn't that long ago that people considered a trip to the beach ( in their own country ) as a holiday. So in my book if I leave the area I live in, to go and enjoy another area it is still a holiday. Just not abroad.
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
RobinS wrote:
I am with you on that, it drives me scatty. It isn't that long ago that people considered a trip to the beach ( in their own country ) as a holiday. So in my book if I leave the area I live in, to go and enjoy another area it is still a holiday. Just not abroad.

It's really just an English twist of an American term.

Americans don't usually go on vacations to "a foreign country"! Very few do, EVER!

So a "proper American vacation" is to travel somewhere you can't get to and back in a day. "Staycation" has nothing implied about the border of a nation.

You English have to define your own terminology for a holiday that are close to home. Borrowing American terms is just going to create confusion and resentment of "Yankee cultural invasion".
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
We have eurotunnel refund tickets too, which we are looking at using for either Christmas or New Year weeks next season.

I would look to get those used up before 31/12/2020. After that expect chaos on any channel crossing. Certainly during the winter season.
ski holidays
I have booked my holiday for 4 weeks Jan in France, small ski resort, with 4 or 5 other linked small resorts nearby with mostly chairlifts, booked self catering accomadation which can be cancelled up to the 20th December, booked the tunnel for 1st Jan, paid a bit more so I can get a refund or change the booking, bought a seasons pass 350 euros, and if no ski allowed this can be fully refunded up to the 5th December, but if it all goes wrong could still be used later in the season. Purchased Carre Neige insurance so will cover the skiing bit, and medical cover repatriction if I get ill, just need some insurance to cover the trip across France if it is still against FO guidlines. All we need is SNOW !!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Snow due next week looking at the forecasts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jabuzzard wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
We have eurotunnel refund tickets too, which we are looking at using for either Christmas or New Year weeks next season.

I would look to get those used up before 31/12/2020. After that expect chaos on any channel crossing. Certainly during the winter season.

Maybe for a few days but it will settle down quickly , unless of course the french fishermen block the ports and that shouldn't be such an issue on the chunnel, we are intending to go on the 30th just incase though
snow report
thunderer wrote:
I have booked my holiday for 4 weeks Jan in France, small ski resort, with 4 or 5 other linked small resorts nearby with mostly chairlifts, booked self catering accomadation which can be cancelled up to the 20th December, booked the tunnel for 1st Jan, paid a bit more so I can get a refund or change the booking, bought a seasons pass 350 euros, and if no ski allowed this can be fully refunded up to the 5th December, but if it all goes wrong could still be used later in the season. Purchased Carre Neige insurance so will cover the skiing bit, and medical cover repatriction if I get ill, just need some insurance to cover the trip across France if it is still against FO guidlines. All we need is SNOW !!! snowHead snowHead

Covid aside, you're describing a wishlist ski area for me- mind saying where it is? Val Cenis?
snow report
thunderer wrote:
... booked the tunnel for 1st Jan ...

Brave call! That's probably the last date I would choose for this season. I hope it works out for you.
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:
Layne wrote:
@robs1, that all sounds pretty dodgy to be honest on many counts. I wasn't questioning you selling the house just the circumstances of the buyer. And I was right. Anyhow it's all off topic so I won't comment further on it.

Nothing dodgy about it at all mortgage company know all the facts and are perfectly happy.
The girls dad and I were born next to each other in hospital, I have known the girl all her life they are a church going straight as an arrow family.

Last post on this from me

I'm sorry but this 'girl' is not representative of her generation so to use her as a benchmark is not fair and if you think this is an expectation other people her age can replicate, then you are completely out of touch with reality.
You tell us she works at a supermarket on not much more than minimum wage? So if she's 26, that means she's been able to save an average of £5k per year (for the sake of ease let's say she's been doing that job since she was 1Cool, on that wage? Do you have any idea how difficult that is for someone on minimum wage to do? That's c £420 pm for 8 years, out of a salary of what, £1200 pm? How is one expected to be able to pay rent out of this? And bills? And run a car (if needed, but it's hardly a luxury these days is it?)? And feed herself? I'm sorry but it's just not a realistic yardstick and if it's a true story then I commend her, but in reality, I reckon she's either made up (sorry), or the reality is quite different to what you believe or have portrayed....Maybe she lives rent free and contributes only a small amount for board? In which case I can see it being possible, but not something most 26 year olds can expect to benefit from.
Either way, it's not consistent with the reality the majority of that generation experiences.
latest report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

the ultimate sloping-off staycation.

If you go to Scotland skiing it's not a staycation - it's a holiday

A staycation is staying at home

Sorry pet peeve

Interesting point. I think originally, 'staycation' meant actually staying at home, but I think the wider (mis?)understanding of the word is now that it means to holiday in one's own country. What wins? Original definition or wider meaning? I think in this case, it's the latter..
snow report
Just want to point out to people who are worried about their insurance being void if they travel to a country with non-but essential travel advice, that you CAN still get cover.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

I'm not suggesting it's a good idea to travel, but for most, as it stands, you should still be able to find cover.
latest report
The big one to watch out for is the school ski trip.
My daughter is due to go at Easter. I've told my ex wife not to pay a penny yet. The teachers who collect the money off the parents won't give a poo-poo as it's OPM (Other people's money)
The operators are usually very small and very likely to go under, as are many of the coach companies who are going to struggle with all the old folk cancelling their day trips.
Sorry to be so miserable but I can't see my daughter's ski trip going ahead next year...
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Sorry to be so miserable but I can't see my daughter's ski trip going ahead next year...

...and there was me thinking people losing their lives/health/jobs/food/houses was the worst result of COVID-19. rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-09-20 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Easter feels so far away - in fact 6 months from now. Cast your mind back 6 months ago (almost to the date) and we were entering formal lockdown. So much has happened in between then and now and, whilst it's been a steep learning curve, we're definitely in a different place with learning giving us some positives such as global vaccine investment/medication to help the worst sufferers (but this remains hidden in all the negative).

Our plan was to book for Easter 2021 skiing. Yes, right now I'm thinking we're not going so that I can manage the disappointment. However, a lot can change and if the cards fall right - we're off.

I certainly wouldn't commit to a ski school trip right now unless there's a 100% guarantee of refund.
snow report
Trouble is currently that the 'Against FCO Advice' (AFCOA) thing is a relic from another age, being applied to a situation it was never designed for. It used to be mainly for war zones, natural disasters and limited but serious disease areas. Generally, you could see it coming for some time and/or it only applied to places few people would go to on holiday. It's not fit for purpose here and leads to anomalies like someone from Leicester (1868 cases per 100K) being allowed to catch trains and Tube to, say Gatwick, then flying to Switzerland (592/100K) and on return, having to Quarantine because CH is designated as being a high risk AFCOA country vs the UK (606/100K).

What I hope is that by next year, there's a more finely-granular and meaningful international classification system in place to replace AFCOA. I don't mind Quarantining, but I don't understand the logic of someone returning from CH having to do so when someone who's been to Leicester doesn't.
snow conditions
Ryunis wrote:

I'm sorry but this 'girl' is not representative of her generation so to use her as a benchmark is not fair and if you think this is an expectation other people her age can replicate, then you are completely out of touch with reality.

Missing something here... Is this 'girl' booking a ski trip?
ski holidays
Ryunis wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Layne wrote:
@robs1, that all sounds pretty dodgy to be honest on many counts. I wasn't questioning you selling the house just the circumstances of the buyer. And I was right. Anyhow it's all off topic so I won't comment further on it.

Nothing dodgy about it at all mortgage company know all the facts and are perfectly happy.
The girls dad and I were born next to each other in hospital, I have known the girl all her life they are a church going straight as an arrow family.

Last post on this from me

You tell us she works at a supermarket on not much more than minimum wage? So if she's 26, that means she's been able to save an average of £5k per year (for the sake of ease let's say she's been doing that job since she was 1Cool, on that wage? Do you have any idea how difficult that is for someone on minimum wage to do? That's c £420 pm for 8 years, out of a salary of what, £1200 pm? How is one expected to be able to pay rent out of this? And bills? And run a car (if needed, but it's hardly a luxury these days is it?)? And feed herself? I'm sorry but it's just not a realistic yardstick and if it's a true story then I commend her, but in reality, I reckon she's either made up (sorry), or the reality is quite different to what you believe or have portrayed....Maybe she lives rent free and contributes only a small amount for board? In which case I can see it being possible, but not something most 26 year olds can expect to benefit from.
Either way, it's not consistent with the reality the majority of that generation experiences.

I didn't say she is representative of todays kids, she is in fact almost the exception in that she works a fair bit of over time and saves hard, so what if she lives at home and pays little/.no rent if she is saving that cash , most kids need help from mum and dad bank, I've helped both mine and one stepchild so far, my wife takes rent from one who lives with us but it goes into a separate account which she will give to him when/if he buys,
Skiing is seen as a expensive sport so I guess most on snowheads would support their kids in buying a house.
All she shows is that it is possible if you want it, of course everyone can spend their cash how they want.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy