Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
I doubt any of the major ski resorts can operate at a profit without foreign tourists. It’s hardly an industry running big margins and many resorts were already struggling before Covid came along
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For Jan they were quoting £271 business class yesterday. As yet I wouldn't go near it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm banking on the fact that reduced carbon emissions will completely sort our climate, so in next year's very snowy winter I'll be able to walk up the hill behind my house and ski down in deep powder. So I'll comply with social distancing, get very fit and save on flights/accommodation/lift pass, which will give me plenty of cash to invest in a rifle to bag me some of those pigs wot will be flying everywhere.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
_sam_? wrote:
Based on our recent experience with Sunweb, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole

Don’t leave us hangin’ like that... spill the beans
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, back on topic, I’ve booked easyjet flights Stockholm to Geneva with the 15 kr ski bag for first week of December (PSB...?) - too cheap not to take a risk and seems to be no fee to change, assuming EasyJet stay afloat.

Even if it all goes to pot in the Alps, the Swedish and Norwegian resorts will be open, including internal flights if needed. It’s been a while since I’ve been skiing in northern lapland.

Thinking about doing a long drive to Norway for some hiking and summer ski in a month or two.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowhound wrote:
@esaw1, looking at flights for Easter 2021, their Gatwick-Geneva
Departures were about £700 compared to £50-60 for Heathrow. Which seemed very strange pricing.

Perhaps not unconnected to the possibility of them not actually operating out of Gatwick at all by then - it could be a deliberate policy to avoid anyone actually booking. (Although if they could get £700 per person they might change their mind!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@esaw1, I've already booked with BA from Gatwick for the Birthday bash, before yesterday's announcement. Worst case scenario is that flights might be temporarily transferred to Heathrow. This would actually save me 30 minutes driving. Very Happy

I can understand airlines reviewing their schedules to reflect the anticipated reductions in passenger numbers, but would be very surprised if BA moved out of Gatwick permanently. If they lost the slots, or Gatwick was forced out of business, it would leave no room for re-expansion as passenger numbers rise again, albeit over a few years. It would limit their profitability.

The local economic impact could be immense, and they are probably laying the groundworks for a request for Government funding to help keep Gatwick Airport running.

On the plus side, the expected reduction in passenger numbers, and the threat of BA closing their Gatwick operation completely would open up a large spare capacity in the UK, thus negating the need for the extra terminal and runway at Heathrow.

The financial saving of cancelling the expansion could go a long way to covering the economic impact of Covid 19. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Myself, the Mrs and four other friends have booked Liverpool to Geneva with easyJet for next April at the end of the season. Plan is to ski Zermatt for a week and take in the Zermatt unplugged music festival. Flight cost return for myself and Lynn was £119.90 return with 2 x23 kg bags and ski's for both of us all in.We've done this a few times over the years and always had good snow. Accomodation is with Booking.com with the get out clause of cancelling last minute if things are still as they are at the moment. Travel will be by train on the other side. We can reschedule the flights if need be and if easyJet goes bust were covered by paying on our credit cards so we'd be reimbursed.Descided to do this to give us all a bit of hope. Managed 2 trips this season but had to cancel March and April bookings. The rest of next season (if there is one) will be booked as and when. Let's pray for an early vaccine as this is key without stating the bleeding obvious
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Worst case scenario is that flights might be temporarily transferred to Heathrow

@brianatab, I'd say it could be a lot worse for BA than the effects of pulling out of Gatwick, and consolidating into Heathrow. I'm certainly not planning to board a plane for a good while unless they develop a vaccine and many will feel the same I'm sure, also business levels of passengers will likely change long term given the way people are embracing the likes of MS Teams/ Zoom and Skype etc.

The prices people are booking for above with EJ/ BA etc are not sustainable and are designed to get folks booking so they can sting them later imv.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, The current projection is approx 5 years for capacity to recover to pro Covid 19 levels, even with a vaccine.

My point was that, if they pull the plug on Gatwick, such that it closed, they would not have the capacity to respond to any eventual upturn in demand. This is bound to affect profitability, and share prices.

Frankfurt or Amsterdam could easily become the "fly to" airports from North America, especially as you can fly to most UK cities from there, unlike Heathrow.

People all over the world are getting used to cleaner air, and many will want to keep it. This will result in many more vehicle restrictions in major cities, and large environmental objections to any planned increase in airports.

The argument for ANY expansion at Heathrow is null and void in the event that there is a perfectly good runway and 2 Terminals at Gatwick going vacant.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In general, I'd say snowHeads seem as enthusiastic for 20/21 season as they usually are... if anything more so.
Of the 4 bashes whose buttons are up, two are half full, one is 2/3 full and the other is completely full bar a handful of 'inclusivity places' reserved for snowBoardists.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not 2021, I’ve booked flights and accommodation for this Christmas. I mean, why not ? If flights aren’t running in 8 months time, I think we’ll all have a lot more to worry about than the next ski season ! Or where a refund is coming from.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@brianatab, I agree
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked xmas in Sweden before the lockdown, am hoping it will happen.
I agree with the poster on flights after covid, you get the feeling for Europe at least there will be a sustained reduction.
If we do a later trip in 2021 we are looking at resorts accessible by eurostar and train transfers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd echo @mitcva (p.1, insurance) - my wife's recent ski fall and broken arm cost approx as follows: Showing EHIC covered £500 hospital expenses then and there. Winter Insurance covered £3K helicopter evac, £500 on-piste assistance, £70 pharmacy medicines, £700 car hire + flights for me to go and assist her + additional seats each side of her, + replacement helmet and poles. Taking out the daily £3.50 assurance would have saved the insurer £3500 and myself the hassle of fielding the helicopter and pisteur invoices.

More on topic - I've just booked our Eurotunnel and overnight stop in France for summer drive down to our apartment in August returning September. Surprisingly, the Eurotunnel schedule was already pretty booked-up. Prices are still reasonable and Eurotunnel confirmed the usual arrangement of being able to shift the bookings and only paying any difference, so why not? The overnight motel near Troyes also only have a few rooms left. Obvs this could just be them trying to make it look like things are busy to keep charges up, but on the face of it, not many people are being discouraged.

My main concern really is what happens if I get the coronavirus while abroad and whether I'd be covered for the costs. This summer, of course, the answer is 'yes' as far as the basic hospital treatment goes (EHIC) but what about the rest? And would I really want to be in an intensive care unit in France/Switzerland if I had a bad reaction? If you don't own a place, then you'd also have to factor-in the cost of someone else having to hang around, possibly for weeks, and your own convalescence before being fit to travel home.
latest report
Timberwolf wrote:
Not 2021, I’ve booked flights and accommodation for this Christmas. I mean, why not ? If flights aren’t running in 8 months time, I think we’ll all have a lot more to worry about than the next ski season ! Or where a refund is coming from.

Me too - fifty quid return including 2x23kg bags.

The signs in the papers today are that the government have been surprised by how much they’ve managed to scare people - talk of safe social distancing being reduced to 1m, some experts saying the risk of airborne transmission outdoors is virtually zero, one govt adviser saying going back to the guidance that they used to give that you need to be indoors, within a metre of someone for 15 mins to be infected. All (imho) preparation to get people to start going back to work. You only have to look on FB to see that many people are convinced this is like something off Dr Who.
snow conditions
I have booked everything for feb half term 2021, including car hire and all accommodation for les menuires.

I normally self drive but the return flights with baggage for the 3 of us was £160, whenever I have costed half term flights before it would always come in to about 10 times this amount, so I thought it would be worth the punt.

apart from the flights, it has been minimal outlay and all with free cancellation, so it is worth it just to have something to look forward to.
snow conditions
Quote:

My main concern really is what happens if I get the coronavirus while abroad and whether I'd be covered for the costs. This summer, of course, the answer is 'yes' as far as the basic hospital treatment goes (EHIC) but what about the rest? And would I really want to be in an intensive care unit in France/Switzerland if I had a bad reaction? If you don't own a place, then you'd also have to factor-in the cost of someone else having to hang around, possibly for weeks, and your own convalescence before being fit to travel home.

Chances are high that from Jan 1 2021 British residents will lose EHIC as well.

What happens then if hospitalisation from Covid 19 is required when on holiday?
snow report
@Android2000, simples. You would have to pay
snow conditions
Our March 2020 trip to VT was cancelled (obv) but everything, EJ flights, accommodation and ski hire for 12 has been moved to Jan 2nd.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Whilst I am happy to self insure for most things I'm not sure I could cover that risk.

Genuine question HL. Would you self insure for the medical risk of CV19 while abroad?
snow conditions
ICU bed costs are circa £2,000 per day. Mean length of stay for CV19 patients who require ICU is 7 days so the whole stay would be well north of £15k.

If travel insurance won't cover CV19 (which is the case for new policies now so likely to remain so) then I can't see how I could take that sort of risk.
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Whilst I am happy to self insure for most things I'm not sure I could cover that risk.

Genuine question HL. Would you self insure for the medical risk of CV19 while abroad?

I doubt it..and i wasnt advocating it, just answering the question.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Ah OK. This is going to be the critical factor next season.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
cad99uk wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I doubt it..and i wasnt advocating it, just answering the question.

If there is to be a viable 2020/21 ski season for British tourists to travel to the Alps / Pyrenees / North America, then this will only happen if CV19 is under a lot more control than now, and by then a lot more will be known about it. So, if this is the case, then I reckon CV19 will be insurable, most likely as an optional extra. The insurance companies should have enough information by then to price it to make a profit, at a rate many people would pay, with clauses to make any payout invalid if you travel after any outbreak has started. I could imagine, say, an extra £100 per person per week for CV19 cover, and most people who want a ski holiday being willing to pay it
ski holidays
It was only when the discussion about the financial difficulties faced by airlines was mentioned in the press that I realised that ba still existed. I thought they'd gone years ago
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:
ICU bed costs are circa £2,000 per day. Mean length of stay for CV19 patients who require ICU is 7 days so the whole stay would be well north of £15k.

If travel insurance won't cover CV19 (which is the case for new policies now so likely to remain so) then I can't see how I could take that sort of risk.

Wonder if any countries will say they will provide care to tourists to support their tourism industry?
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:

2k minimum for ICU for 24hrs without renal support within an NHS hospital, most hospitals abroad are private, particularly in the ski areas so prices could vary tremendously. Tracheostomy, prolonged ventilation and air ambulance back to UK. The price of this fills me with dread!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

2k minimum for ICU for 24hrs without renal support within an NHS hospital, most hospitals abroad are private, particularly in the ski areas so prices could vary tremendously.

Apart from those in Chambery, Aix-les-Bains, Mouiters, Albertville, Bourg St Maurice, Annecy, Chamonix, Annemasse etc of course
snow conditions
Linds wrote:
[£]2k minimum for ICU for 24hrs without renal support within an NHS hospital, most hospitals abroad are private, particularly in the ski areas so prices could vary tremendously. Tracheostomy, prolonged ventilation and air ambulance back to UK. The price of this fills me with dread!
Apart from those in Canada, and of course all US hospitals have by law to treat life threatening diseases irrespective of ability to pay.

You would probably not need a private air-ambulance as you'd either be dead or recovered.
Last time I checked the air ambulance cost was of the order of £100k for pretty much anywhere, pre-pandemic.

Even so, the prospect of £15k should in my view perhaps be less of a concern than death from Covid-19! wink
The survival probability for people who are intubated is quite poor.
For those more worried about money than life, the costs for economically active skiers of death is significantly more than £15k.

Staying at home for the rest of one's life could be less risky, although that too could easily cost more than £15k for economically active people.
Trying to catch it in the cheapest place possible would be one approach, I suppose. Waiting in the hope that a vaccine, or better care, comes along are also options.
ski holidays
It’s 5-10 days between symptoms and hospitalisation, so drive and cut the holiday short if someone gets ill.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, that was my thinking
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
It’s 5-10 days between symptoms and hospitalisation, so drive and cut the holiday short if someone gets ill.

In that case you might need to avoid crossing any borders. You don't want to be quarantined when entering say Germany from Austria! It would mean France only.
ski holidays
@ecureuil, Even with France, you might have to have a temperature check before boarding the ferry home, as the risk of passing it on whilst on a crowded staircase of a ferry would be high. Plus leaving surfaces contaminated.

Not sure what stance the tunnel companies might take, but high possibility of temperature checks at customs.
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:

That will most likely be our thoughts as well.
snow report
As far as I know your Travel Insurance would still cover you for hospital bills for illness including by Virus COVID 19 but not for cancellation due to Virus & would also cover you if EIHC was not included probably be more expensive though.
ski holidays
The reality is if you are under 50 and have no pre existing conditions the risk is very low so insurers wont load premia too much. However over 60 with preexisting conditions may well be virtually uninsurable. I have written off next winter as, being nearer to 64 than 63 and having treated hypertension and had a stroke a few years back, i cannot see travel insurance being affordable. Another interesting thought obesity is now considered a high risk factor, not affecting skiers of course, will travel insurance start looking at your bmi?
snow report
Booked for Champoluc in January as usual .then madonna first week feb.. leaves time for a march trip... although i expect both to be cancelled.. no travel till vaccine has been accepted
ski holidays
Not fully ski related, but does mention it at the end.
BBC News's take on future jollies:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52450038
snow report
Vienna airport offering CV-19 test on arrival to avoid quarantine from next week.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria-airport/vienna-airport-to-offer-coronavirus-tests-to-avoid-quarantine-idUSKBN22F0IO
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy