Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Saw on Facebook this morning that Saalbach is considering its guidelines for next season and will announce them next week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe I'm being a bit cynical but I suspect that Resorts announcing guidelines in August when no one knows what the virus will be doing months ahead are just trying to encourage bookings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@esaw1, I suppose that they have to make some contingency plans, based on the guesstimate predictions, and on the basis that things can be changed if appropriate. They can’t just say and do nothing. I expect that it will be similar to what Ischgl has already announced.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, I'm sure you're right. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brownfish wrote:
I've booked Airbnb accommodation in Valloire for easter that is fully refundable up until the week before, so I can keep my options open depending on covid and snow conditions. Will be booking a ferry closer to the time and if we are able to travel Covid-wise but snow is bad, will just repurpose the holiday to be a 10 day road trip!

Orelle as a backup and ski val thorens?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:

Orelle as a backup and ski val thorens?

My mate suggested that just before I logged in and saw this! Seems like a good shout.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Japan. Not looking good though. Probably will have to cancel. But, if COVID turns around, might be a good chance to book Niseko powder tours that are normally booked solid very early
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One week during Feb half term at Meribel booked. Also a week at Tignes UCPA then straight to the ESoB at VT for a total of one week in Feb and two weeks in April.

Fingers crossed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
esaw1 wrote:
Maybe I'm being a bit cynical but I suspect that Resorts announcing guidelines in August when no one knows what the virus will be doing months ahead are just trying to encourage bookings.

I tend to agree. Although it will be interesting to see what they say.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feb half term Les Saiaies with option to back out up till October with refund.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@harrim51, Sounds good. We are also going to Les Saisies but in a different week. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never been but looks fab.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@harrim51, We have been before (not recently) and it is a beautiful resort. Last time we stayed in Le Hameau de Beaufortain but this time we are trying Residence Amaya which is newish and a bit nearer the resort centre.

Sorry to detract from the thread!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are in the Amaya! Looks good. I am hoping it’s easy in and out! I chose there as it looks like chairs and drag lifts mostly, in the hope that’s better re Covid.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@harrim51, yep, Les Saisies / Espace Diamant is the largest resort in France (and the world?) without any gondolas.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
For those planning 2021 and self catering in the French Alps for the 1st time worth bookmarking this website. Prepared meals, self catering and no effort required. I have no connection to the company other than we used for 1st time this year and food was fab. Have checked and they 100% expect to be operational 20/21 season.

https://hu.ski/

Where they deliver but you can also collect from them in Bourg. We did this on arrival from Eurostar

https://hu.ski/wheres-huski/

Can vouch for these dudes... Have used them on several trips now and the food is always very good... It's no catered option, but as middle ground and very little prep, it's a really good option... Chalet Kitchen also another company that offer this service...

Back to the OT, We booked Saint Martin de Belleville back in March, for next Feb half term... Very keen on understanding how resorts will deal with social distancing measures...

Fingers crossed whatever 2nd wave hits, it does so minimally and doesn't have huge knock on effects...
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:

I think we have narrowed it down to Serre Chevalier (and Monetier Les Bains).

Serre Che is a great choice for avoiding enclosed lifts, @Fridge03. We went there the very last week of the shortened 2020 season. I'm not a fan of enclosed lifts anyway, as I get too hot in them and much prefer a chair where you are guaranteed a seat. But you can get around 3 of the 4 Serre Che valleys without needing enclosed lifts at all, the exception being Briancon which is the furthest from your Monetier base anyway.
snow report
harrim51 wrote:
We are in the Amaya! Looks good. I am hoping it’s easy in and out! I chose there as it looks like chairs and drag lifts mostly, in the hope that’s better re Covid.

It couldn't be much easier, a gentle green to the slowest loading modern chair ever then onto a long wide green with a gradient that doesn't vary more than plus or minus 1 degree (apart from the chair dropoff).
If your adrenalin needs a boost you can move over to the adjacent blue Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks for that, as an old git that sounds ideal!
ski holidays
So how does the 14 day quarantine in place in France work when you go for a weeks skiing?
And then 14 days when you return to uk?
ski holidays
@snowornever, how do you think a quarantine works? You would have to plan to be on France for 3 weeks..2 for quarantine and 1 following for skiing. Then 2 weeks quarantine when you get back, if quarantine is proscribed at the time of your departure and return. If you book and subsequently quarantine is imposed then unless you could change your booking to 2 weeks further ahead and find somewhere suitable to quarantine I would suggest you won't be going.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, in such circumstances, it would be tempting to just say sod the job and head off for the season.
snow report
@Hells Bells, a fine alternative
snow report
The quarantine period could be significantly reduced if we had the sort of testing regime they have here in CH, which is to go to any local GP or clinic, get tested, and get the results in 24-48h. With the Covid App in operation for some time now, you might get tested simply because the app says your were in the same location (most likely through shared space on public transport or a shop) as a suspected/confirmed case. So it might develop into a situation where you only lose a few days to quarantine until your (hopefully negative) results come through.

If the test can be done on arrival, then you might end up in a situation where you just have to lose a couple of days up-front before you get the all-clear to start your holiday proper. Even if it cost, say £100+ I suspect a lot of people would be prepared to pay the fee.

And if you think about it, it's not a large step to do the above before you travel, and enter the country with some form of 'Covid-free Certificate'. There are a number of Swiss companies developing the software for this, using blockchain (the same tech as bitcoin) so you just load up an app. and then get the cert from the test organisation electronically.

In the UK of course, we're still only hitting 4 out of 5 contacts with our manual-based T&T and we have no contact tracking app at all, let alone any sort of Certification app. So one scenario I envisage is that concern will move towards the impact on returning, rather than going.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 28-08-20 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet, I believe that a negative swab test may not pick up an infection in its infancy and that you would need one after 7 days of isolation to be sure of no infection.
snow report
I suppose it might come down to a matter of probabilities and numbers. If an easy/quick test has, say a false negative rate of 1:10,000 the host country may take that as an acceptable risk e.g. 100,000 Brits entering France for school hols fortnight returns 10 false negative (probably acceptable). A 1:1,000 rate returns 100 false negatives (probably not).

The thing is, once you have an effective electronic app that can contact trace automatically, then you can probably tolerate a higher rate of community infections compared to not having one. You know that if you get a false negative you can at least trace everyone they've been in contact with at the press of a button. And if you have people who conceal their illness, or don't identify it because it's mild, then you'll still pick up their contacts eventually. Without an app, you can't.

Yes, an app isn't a silver bullet and you need to avoid complacency if you have one (something I suspect the Swiss have succumbed to, esp. in urban centres like Geneva and Zurich). I was willing to forgive the Government missing their March deadline, given the circumstances. But I'm not willing to forgive them 5 months later. An app is a foundation stone of the next phase of returning to work and containing local outbreaks, and lets you handle arrivals from other countries in a more finely-tuned way.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 28-08-20 11:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
This page has just been added to the St Martin de Belleville website. They are clearly starting to gnaw their fingernails at the prospect of a highly disrupted season Crying or Very sad
https://st-martin-belleville.com/en/cancel-at-no-cost
snow report
Perty wrote:
This page has just been added to the St Martin de Belleville website. They are clearly starting to gnaw their fingernails at the prospect of a highly disrupted season Crying or Very sad

Very interesting.

I may have wrongly assumed but... isn't your lift pass refundable up to the day of first use anyway?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have bit the bullet and booked a week in Selva at Xmas (19-26th) with Crystal...the amazing Hotel Tyrol.

They offered 2 for 1 on lift passes which saved us about £ 550 and we had a voucher to use from a cancelled Crystal holiday in April this year (which got refunded in full eventually).

Have only paid £ 400 deposit and balance due end September by which time it may be clearer if we are in a full on 2nd wave or not...

If it gets kaiboshed - I have security that Crystal will refund in full..

And if we go and skiing is limited - the Tyrol is a nice place to relax anyway.

And if we go and its all open , I predict it will be a quiet week as the hordes will arrive as we leave !
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
We have bit the bullet and booked a week in Selva at Xmas (19-26th) with Crystal...the amazing Hotel Tyrol.

They offered 2 for 1 on lift passes which saved us about £ 550 and we had a voucher to use from a cancelled Crystal holiday in April this year (which got refunded in full eventually).

Have only paid £ 400 deposit and balance due end September by which time it may be clearer if we are in a full on 2nd wave or not...

If it gets kaiboshed - I have security that Crystal will refund in full..

And if we go and skiing is limited - the Tyrol is a nice place to relax anyway.

And if we go and its all open , I predict it will be a quiet week as the hordes will arrive as we leave !

I was briefly tempted by a good Crystal offer - but simply could not get past the uncertainty of what we are likely to be facing in the coming winter. My Daughter who comes with me, can't really afford to take the risk of a 2 week quarantine....and as Lady F has underlying conditions, I need to feel the risk of going has been reasonably mitigated, so I don't bring back an unpleasant present.
latest report
Layne wrote:
Perty wrote:

Very interesting.

I may have wrongly assumed but... isn't your lift pass refundable up to the day of first use anyway?

Not all areas seem to have that term in the their T&Cs. So do check this for any area.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snowornever, how do you think a quarantine works? You would have to plan to be on France for 3 weeks..2 for quarantine and 1 following for skiing. Then 2 weeks quarantine when you get back, if quarantine is proscribed at the time of your departure and return. If you book and subsequently quarantine is imposed then unless you could change your booking to 2 weeks further ahead and find somewhere suitable to quarantine I would suggest you won't be going.

I know exactly how it works , that’s why I phrased the question to reflect how people will manage their 1 week holiday!
So no 1 week holidays then
Season screwed
latest report
Quote:

The quarantine period could be significantly reduced if we had the sort of testing regime they have here in CH, which is to go to any local GP or clinic, get tested, and get the results in 24-48h.

That is pretty much the same as the UK. Call to book an appointment at a test centre, get the results by text 24-48 hours later. I was tested on Saturday pm and received results by text at 6am on the Sunday. All very swift.

@rayscoops, regarding a negative test not picking up early infection: That was not an issue as far as self isolation is concerned. You only have to self isolate until you get a back a negative test result, then you are free to go about your normal business.
snow report
Xmas is months away yet, lots can happen before then, no point worrying about it yet, we have booked 6 wks from 1st jan
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I know exactly how it works , that’s why I phrased the question to reflect how people will manage their 1 week holiday!
So no 1 week holidays then
Season screwed

Both me and hubby can if needed work from home. School is of more concern and there are no 3 week school holiday which coincide with main ski season (inside Europe). We have booked a week in Austria for Christmas week, so they would end missing 4 days of school (inset day straight after Christmas holidays) if Austria is taken of the “against FCO advice list” to allow us out there but then RE-Added while we are there, we are prepared for it and feel it is a worthwhile trade
snow report
dode wrote:
Quote:

The quarantine period could be significantly reduced if we had the sort of testing regime they have here in CH, which is to go to any local GP or clinic, get tested, and get the results in 24-48h.

That is pretty much the same as the UK. Call to book an appointment at a test centre, get the results by text 24-48 hours later. I was tested on Saturday pm and received results by text at 6am on the Sunday. All very swift.

But I don't think it is the same, is it? Here in CH, it's GP-based, or a Health Centre if that's nearer. The UK system is fine if you live near to a test centre, but the rate of take-up is conspicuously low because for many, they're too distant. We already had a GP network who would happily have done the test collection, but no, outsourcing is best - so the Govt creates an entirely new, parallel test setup outsourced to failed business cronies. Then wonders why people aren't using it.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
dode wrote:
Quote:

But I don't think it is the same, is it? Here in CH, it's GP-based, or a Health Centre if that's nearer. The UK system is fine if you live near to a test centre, but the rate of take-up is conspicuously low because for many, they're too distant. We already had a GP network who would happily have done the test collection, but no, outsourcing is best - so the Govt creates an entirely new, parallel test setup outsourced to failed business cronies. Then wonders why people aren't using it.

The data shows that the U.K. is testing at twice the rate of Switzerland, (2,000 tests per million population vs 1,000 is Switzerland), so whatever the failings of our government and system, it’s delivering a lot more tests than the swiss equivalent.

About the worst place to bring potentially COVID positive patients is GP surgeries. What would have been a 10minute appointment takes 30 mins with full PPE as well as exposing other vulnerable patients to COVID.
latest report
LaForet wrote:

Like so many things in Switzerland, this appears to vary by Canton. Here in Basel-Stadt, it is definitely not GP based - testing for those with symptoms is centralized at the test centre of the university hospital. There’s a similar arrangement for Basel-Land. You absolutely do not just rock up at your GP surgery and when you call to make an appointment with the GP, or arrive at the GP or any other medical centre, the very first thing they do is check that you do not have any coronavirus symptoms. No one living in BS is going to be far from the uni hospital site, but it may be more difficult / time-consuming for those in BL to get to their relevant testing sites. So all in all, the situation locally to me seems to be very similar to that in the UK. If you just want a test before travel or your own peace of mind, you can get that at the drop-in centre if you pay for it, but not if you have symptoms.

Similarly your description of the take up and usage of the app does not correspond to my experiences locally...
ski holidays
Covidiots..

Season 2020/21

STAY AT HOME

Do Not Travel

Restrictions & New Measures will be in Force this Winter.

Dont be that Problem

STAY AT HOME
snow report
Said the spokesman for the St Anton tourist board!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy