Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
@NickyJ, thats what happens when you get spoiled by half board in Italy!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I normally like to have one week catered but must admit with all this happening decided against that this coming season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, good point. I may have to argue the H&S value of s/c vs catered, for this season at least.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, obviously not Norway but last Feb we stayed in Serre Chevalier with Pinewood Chalets. They have apartments which you can pay them to cater for you, where they bring the food to you in the apartment
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boys trip to Saalbach booked for 16 Jan, what are the chances of good snow in january in Saalbach? Wink

Now off to book pre Christmas trip to Madonna di C.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ghost Dog, I reckon Salbach in Jan has a much better chance for good snow condition than Madonna...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ghost Dog, That time in January has been really excellent in the last few seasons. Generally speaking my favourite times to ski in Saalbach are mid-December, mid-January, mid-March, and sometimes early April.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booked the first week UCPA open which is Val D’Isere for w/c 28th Nov. Already had flights for that week to Geneva which were moved from a cancelled trip in March. Need to pay the balance by 28th Oct, so let’s see what’s happening in Switzerland (Geneva) and France then and if you are still allowed from Sweden!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ghost Dog, I wasn't in Saabach that week in Jan 19 but visitors needed a new tape measure to cope with snow depths. Last year I was there and it was like mid spring, needed snow and slopes were icy then soft. It started snowing on my last night and was snowing as I stood waiting for my transfer. I am not going next January so pack a snow shovel..... *edit* I loved the place, will return and I agree with Mr T that conditions are likely to be ideal, I wasnt trying to worry you!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mid Jan 2020 was very odd, remember the super warm easter type temperatures, t shirts on the terrace etc. Hope next year is colder. However the unbroken sunshine ☀ was welcome.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ster Most resorts now have a choice of outfits who will deliver a good-quality evening meal, ordered in the morning: chalet or apartment. In our resort, I know some chalet owners who say their clients preferred it (vs catered): they just tick the boxes on a menu choice, drop it in en route to the lift in the morning, and it's delivered that evening. A lot cheaper than catered and even before Covid, the preference of those who prefer not to be sharing their holiday with strangers.

Based on my experience here in the summer, I think Switzerland will probably operate as now: masks mandatory only in gondolas and navettes; restaurants, bars and cafés at lower density; no clubs or high-density bars. Almost no one wearing masks in supermarkets, restaurants, bars and cafés, shops or hire shops. Recording of your name and contact number in restaurants.

Of course, CH already has had its Covid App running for some time: so Track+Trace is a practical proposition: authorities can trace people far more effectively e.g. everyone who shared a navette with a Covid victim. So the focus will be more on fast-response Track/Trace supported by App contact data, rather than social distancing.

This could move the focus of concern away from 'What happens if the UK enforces a Quarantine on my return?' and towards 'What if the Swiss authorities identify me a potential 'victim'?' and in the latter case, you're told to go into self-isolated Quarantine while on holiday. Which I think is the topic of another, parallel, thread ....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TO’s getting hit very hard... surely reduced capacity for 2020/21 season
https://www.ft.com/content/f1898c97-2479-4ced-bfa1-dc417945f919
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've just booked a Hotel in Val D'Espair for the lads trip at the end of January 2021; if it goes ahead we'll drive down in a couple of cars.

We don't need to pay a deposit until the end of November and can cancel the booking at anytime before then without financial loss.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mosha Marc, which hotel?
You've booked directly through their website or TO/booking etc.?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowymum wrote:
@rungsp, Did the Australian resorts close because covid was spreading in ski resorts or because there was a lockdown of their whole region due to cases rising in bars, work places etc?

Currently sitting in a closed Victorian Ski Resort actually. No cases. 1 at the town at the bottom of the resort (worked in a carpark at the resort) - for a total of 5 in the region. No community transmission at all.
latest report
rungsp wrote:
If we look at how the Australian resorts planned on doing things (most now closed again for their whole season):
20% increase in lift pass prices
No season passes sold.
2 people on a 4 man chair
1 person on a T-Bar
Bubbles similar.
Cable cars at about 20% capacity.
tip-to-tail lift queues
Cap on day tickets sold
All day tickets must be reserved in advance.
No mountain restaurants open.

I can talk about Mt Buller, Victoria where I am currently. After a "second wave" in Melbourne the regional areas were closed down for 5.5 weeks. No transmission up here.

Its also been a horrible (utterly horrible) snow year - which means that they did not open up much terrain or lifts - which was the main reason for limiting the day tickets. We are privately owned and run which has been fantastic - the Vail resorts only opened for 3 days, then closed (no comment what that meant to the locals, businesses and everyone else up there).

We "may" open again when the lockdown in Melbourne finishes- but who knows. Most of the staff have left, instructors gone - but they still have limited Ski Patrol (just in case) , and grooming occasionally- for safety as there are a number of families up here as the whole state is remote schooling. The big Q in the coming weeks will be what they do with all of the seasons ticket holders who have been unable to ski.

All of the mountain restaurants were open - however contact details needed to be completed when entering. Also a max of 20 people to an enclosed area. It worked much better than you can imagine. Lift lines were not too long - people were very very chilled in general - just happy to be here.

When the govt changed the regs - they had to close - however those in the town are doing take-away which is ok. The ones on the mountain of course closed (unless you wanted to walk for 40 mins).

Huge numbers of touring setups sold in the shops up here, snowshoes and XC setups. Just waiting now for some snow - hopefully 50+cm by weeks end.
snow conditions
For those planning 2021 and self catering in the French Alps for the 1st time worth bookmarking this website. Prepared meals, self catering and no effort required. I have no connection to the company other than we used for 1st time this year and food was fab. Have checked and they 100% expect to be operational 20/21 season.

https://hu.ski/

Where they deliver but you can also collect from them in Bourg. We did this on arrival from Eurostar

https://hu.ski/wheres-huski/
snow report
Looks like flying from Edinburgh to Austria isn't happening with Crystal this season Sad We have booked out of Glasgow for a am start. Kipping on benches at airport at my age, sheesh!
ski holidays
Crystal seem to have plenty of flights from Newcastle to Austria.
ski holidays
Not in Jockland last time I checked Smile
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, thanks that's really handy.
snow report
Just seen on FB:

Ischgl announce COVID measures for winter 20/21

We expect that the same will be imposed in most Austrian resorts. Ischgl announces corona measures winter sports season. the ski resort of Ischgl has announced the measures for the 2020/2021 winter sports season.

In lifts, lift buildings, restaurants, shops, ski pass sales points and ski depots, the information will be displayed with the current COVID-19 guidelines.

When you purchase a ski pass you will receive a multifunctional cloth that can be used as a mouth mask.

Wearing a face mask is mandatory in the areas indicated.

The areas near the lifts and areas where many people come together are designed as much as possible in such a way that people are prevented from coming close to each other.

Even on busy days, the lift capacity is not being limited. You will have to wear a face covering.

The gondolas will be disinfected several times a day by means of a misting device that kills 99.9% of the bacteria and/or viruses. For this, a biological agent will be used that leaves no traces and is skin and eye-friendly.

Also, the ski buses, sports shops, ski depots and the first aid facilities will be disinfected several times a day in this way.

Hand disinfectant will be available at various locations.

In restaurants, the minimum distance between the tables is maintained, partitions will be placed between the tables. Depending on the occupancy, access to the restaurants will be limited. Menus will be offered digitally via QR codes at the restaurants or via the iSki Ischgl / mySamnaun App.

Music in restaurants is only provided by background music.

Employees are preventively tested prior to their work. In addition, preventive testing will be carried out among employees during the season.

All employees with customer contact will wear a mouth mask during their work.

Events such as toboggan evenings and ski shows of the ski schools will continue where possible with due observance of the measures.

The Top of the Mountain opening concert in November is cancelled.

The Ischgl ski area emphasizes that, if necessary, they will introduce a limited number of permissible persons into the area.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, thanks for posting. Encouraging for my trip at Christmas to Lech
ski holidays
I have booked one hotel in Italy already , but I have been going there for years , but I have another pick in France for my first week ( I am going for 4 weeks ) and the hotels web site is not open for bookings yet ...one wonders what is happening ..
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, That is more or less what I expected and should provide reassurance for anyone contemplating booking a holiday in an Austrian resort. I’m surprised that nothing more was said about outside bars with apres-ski parties, live bands, etc. I had expected that there might be some guidance on numbers, although I suppose that might be difficult, as the amount of space available at venues varies so much.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
In restaurants, the minimum distance between the tables is maintained...

What, they are going to push all the tables really close together and stop people moving them further apart? Smile
snow report
I was hoping on going to France and Canada for trips this season.

Currently, France is on the FCO list for "all but essential travel only" which means if you go anyway, insurance is invalid. I'm hoping the restriction will be lifted and France will be added back to the "exempted" countries list prior to December. I wonder what would happen however, if I booked, and then FCO changed guidelines again and said not to go (and the need for quarantine afterwards). Would providers give you a refund? Would insurance companies pay out for this? Credit Card companies give refund if others don't (probably not)?

Canadian border is also closed to UK travellers for now. Hoping it will open again before January.

All very uncertain.
ski holidays
@Mountain Surfer, glad you didn't add a year as to when the Canadian border will be reopened......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will other insurance companies follow in due course?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/aug/20/uk-insurer-offers-cover-for-european-countries-on-travel-quarantine-list-covid

Covid cover:

https://www.battleface.com/travel-medical

https://www.battleface.com/adventure-travel
snow report
@mitcva, Not sure their is much that's special apart from cover for countries in FCO travel advisories.
Quote:
Trips to areas where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised against travel?
Yes, this product provides full benefits, up to the policy limits, for all destinations including countries under FCO and government essential and non-essential travel advisories.

The covid cover is specifically for those under 60
Quote:
The COVID-19 cover is available with this product for policies purchased from July 17th, 2020 for travellers up to and including age 59 or under.

and does not include cancellation etc,
Quote:
We do not include cover in relation to COVID-19 expenses for trip cancellations, curtailment of a holiday or lockdowns.
snow report
Will be booking Canada for midterm hopefully this week. Fingers crossed for PSB. Will be booking up other trips closer to time just as normal.
ski holidays
booked feb - march 6 week canada trip 2021 and may 2022 Svalbard adventure and took a punt on a couple of cheap flights early season nov/dec 2020
ski holidays
I've booked flights for January and March as usual (at prices lower than usual), and car hire for January which I can cancel for free (will do the same for March). I wasn't planning on booking anything else until much nearer the time, but couldn't resist a very inexpensive self catering apartment for January, which is again mostly refundable.

In my mind, my decision making process is: is the % money saved by booking now rather than last minute greater than the % chance of having to cancel. If it is, then on balance I think it's worth booking - and even more so because much of the money spent is refundable.

Then there's the safety / health part of the equation. Of course this is different for different people, but being in a low risk group, going low season and self catering helps.
snow report
Thinking of booking la Tania in jan. self catering/self drive most places offer full refund if FCO advises not to travel or resort is shut. Not sure about quarantine issues but I can work from home.

We have never been gondola/bubble fans. There are a couple of unavoidable ones but even in a normal jan week we’ve barely had to share in a small bubble. Larger ones yes, but queues pretty minimal (hence we go early jan)

I will look at booking credit card, and full flex/free cancellation if I can. But knowing the resort, not being apres people I think we are as safe as we can be.
snow report
I’ve booked our usual France DIY holiday, so taking a punt.... self catering apartment can be cancelled three weeks out, ski lessons at one week prior to departure, so biggest potential for loss are the flights (easyJet).
Annoyingly Jet2 have cancelled all the Edinburgh - Turin flights which I had initially booked, so we’re stuck with a longer and more expensive transfer.
I’ll need to read up on travel insurance coverage nearer the time, skiing without cover is a no-no in my view.
snow report
Jet 2 also cancelled my Manchester to Verona flight at the start of Jan last week. No sign of the promised refund yet either.
latest report
Doing the PreBirthdayBash and BirthdayBash double. snowHead Booked flights long ago from Manchester to Venice; when EasyJet had their 99p offer on luggage. £69 return. All the Bashes are heavily subscribed. snowHead
snow report
Yes, but Iceland is also in the Schengen Agreement and SEPA. Claiming that the benefits we're losing don't matter to us is very Trumpian.
ski holidays
I've booked Airbnb accommodation in Valloire for easter that is fully refundable up until the week before, so I can keep my options open depending on covid and snow conditions. Will be booking a ferry closer to the time and if we are able to travel Covid-wise but snow is bad, will just repurpose the holiday to be a 10 day road trip!
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@andy from embsay, That is more or less what I expected and should provide reassurance for anyone contemplating booking a holiday in an Austrian resort. I’m surprised that nothing more was said about outside bars with apres-ski parties, live bands, etc. I had expected that there might be some guidance on numbers, although I suppose that might be difficult, as the amount of space available at venues varies so much.

Kinda surprised that they are saying BAU for all lifts but with a buff on. Gondolas can get pretty packed and definitely you're in other's zones for some time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy