Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
@FoofyNoo, Hemel snowdome now reopening 7th August.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella, Agreed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James77 wrote:

Looking at St Foy, Les Contamines or similar for following trip. What's you'r top tip for keeping cost down, Air Bnb or maybe book direct with local tourist office?

Who's driving down February HT next year?

We are! As will a lot of other folks no doubt but it's all for a good cause, eh?!

The last 2 Feb half terms we've booked self catering apartments via the local tourist offices (La Clusaz and Les Contamines) and got perfectly adequate 1 bed + bunks apartments, La Clusaz was about €1200 but we didn't book til January and Les Contamines I booked around Sept time for the bargain price of €670 Very Happy I checked to see if the same one was available this coming Feb and it was already booked. I did discover that one of the chains (Nemea) have a residence in Les Contamines practically adjacenr to where we stayed that for the same week have a similar sounding apartment for €1800 so in our case defintely paid off booking via the tourist office.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been on my first 20/21 ski trip to Hintertux. Before booking I was pretty bullish about it and without worries, however the weeks running up to the flight were increasingly stressful. In the end Austria only opened up to Brits the day before we left and I was worried that the easyjet flights may be cancelled at the last minute due to lack of passengers, it ended up less than half full.

All's well that ends well, we had a fantastic week! Going forwards we have flights booked to Verona in December but no accommodation yet. Flights were very cheap so no problem if it all goes wrong, but for Jan to Easter I will leave till last minute to avoid further stress.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robs1, @NickyJ, @FoofyNoo, I get the better than nothing idea but my thinking is to manage my own mental health in the way that I know will work best for me. Really just expectation management I suppose but disappointment expected is easier for me than when it's imposed. If I book now and then its cancelled I know it will be worse for me than never booking at all.

Some folks will be happy just to get there and ski as opposed to sit at home and good luck to them I say. Maybe 20 years ago I would have been the same but my expectations have improved with my affordability and I enjoy all the trappings and the experience these days as much as the sliding. For which my poor old knees are immensely grateful.

Friends are just back from Spain and they felt the benefit of the entire holiday has been undone by the quarantine and other changes out there and even the worrying about it before it was announced. They are adamant that they are simply not going abroad again until things are back to normal.

I also do wonder about the need to give the T/O's something to keep them going but in any times would they bail us out if we needed our cash back for some unrelated problem after the balance was paid? What is it now for full balance on a package? 10 weeks? I think we all know what the answer would be regardless of the fact that 10 weeks is an eternity in the current world.

I gave Crystal the opportunity to reassure me on some specific points and they couldn't even be bothered to reply.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robboj, TO’s don’t have our money, EasyJet, accommodation direct with owners, and Alps2Alps for transfer.

However we all also have to be cognisant of our own mental health triggers etc. For me having something to look forward to helped stopped me getting too down. However know that people are different.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
@robboj, TO’s don’t have our money, EasyJet, accommodation direct with owners, and Alps2Alps for transfer.

However we all also have to be cognisant of our own mental health triggers etc. For me having something to look forward to helped stopped me getting too down. However know that people are different.

I get you about the looking forward thing and its a valuable thing for me too. A lot of the problem for me has been the sheer lack of such in these times. I think in my case it's also a bit of being in control of what happens and not at the whim of an official or politician. Will keep an open mind though.

Some of my questions for Crystal were around the extent of relocation they could impose. IE if come January if my chosen, hotel, resort, region or even country was closed but somewhere else was fine and available what say I would have over another resort or country that was unsuitable or undesirable being imposed on a take it or forfeit basis?

It's maybe something thats always been the case in the small print but I've never booked a holiday with any possibility in mind that I won't be able to go or get there before.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robboj, book independently. That way you have the control (within reason and subject to vagaries of our and other governments)

For Easter we now have flight booked to Geneva. Cunningly timed with SFaB, which is very high on my list but if not lots of other resorts accessible from there. Our Christmas flights are to Innsbruck again lots of choice but we have booked for a place in Lech - owners have agreed to full refund of deposit if we are unable to travel to them due to Coronavirus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robboj,
We all need to deal with it in the best way for us.
We drive and book independently apart from the first week as we get cheap flexiplus passes with peak retreats,
If there is no skiing we will go for part of the time and chill, walk cycle etc unless complete lockdown, I can't see there being no skiing as no country can afford to destroy their economy.
Luckily my mrs unlike my first one is like me in that we thrive on last minute changes to plans as often something great comes along,, I know that lots dont like dealing with such changes, I treat it as a challenge.
Hopefully we will all get to go not only for our sake but for those communities we visit too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@robs1. "I cant see there being no skiing as no country can afford to destroy its economy".

You seriously underestimate politicians ability to panic because just that is happening all over the world.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
UK returnees Quarantine Restrictions may well be back before the 2020/21 season or the UK even Blacklisted by various countries.

Do not expect a Winter Sports Holiday to be the same as previous seasons.

Austria decision (Tourist visitor management/behaviour) will be taken in Vienna later this year (I expect similar in France, Italy ,etc)

Protocols in discussion..

Next season everyone will be required to return their Hotels/Accommodations after the Ski Day... when the Lifts close at 16:00-17:00hrs and stay in their accommodations until the following morning.

Apres Ski, Nightlife, Loud Music will not be permitted.

Dont become part of the Problem Again take some responsibility.
Good people died last season ..... no one is immune
Ski Areas are 100% Breeding Ground for Covid19 transmission.
Season 2020/21
STAYATHOME.

https://www.umfrageonline.com/s/f1fb254

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/the-ischgl-outbreak-families-of-covid-19-victims-seek-justice-a-bbf9aa92-dfed-42d0-870c-ff9d17125d45
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton,
Another good reason to book smth with balcony and bring along a loud JBL flip5 etc. Dance alone in the balcony with a couple of beers. Soon others will follow in their own balcony
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, go tell your story to the Germans, Mayrhofen was heaving with them. The stadls were rammed full of beer swilling oompahing singing and dancing with no masks and no social distancing this week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think the Brits should be demonized. The situation is very complicated. The French govt scientific advisors think we'll be in a second wave in the autumn and the French Prime Minister is warning of a second confinement period for the whole of France if that happens.

A lot of reluctance to wear masks in France - these are probably some angry apres snowheads Happy A bus driver was killed in Lyon after asking passengers to wear masks.

Don't watch this if you are sensitive to violence.

http://youtube.com/v/lDldzs9XkAI
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just got a promotional email from Grandvalira, mentioning COVID, but not immediately clear what the special conditions are and whether one is somehow indemnified.
ski holidays
Covidiots

Do not even think of Ski Holidays 2020/2021 season.

Dont become the Problem again.

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
@stanton, you are not the boss of anyone - thankfully

I'm thinking of a ski holiday right now - mmmmmmm

Now go back your basement
snow conditions
Quote:

The stadls were rammed full of beer swilling oompahing singing and dancing with no masks and no social distancing this week.

Glad I'm going somewhere else on holiday! Shocked
snow conditions
@stanton, no one is immune, agreed just like the common cold, but it’s effects are hugely age dependent when 80% need a test to know they’ve even got it. 80% of deaths over the age of 75. I’ve booked provisionally for Easter holidays 2021, self catering as usual, and the only reason we will cancel (we can) is if resorts shoot themselves in the foot by insisting on huge queues for social distancing on lifts, despite being often outside and windy, wearing face coverings etc.
ski holidays
@snowhound, On the other hand I would like some enforced social distancing for lift queues as it is unpleasant having people walking on my skis at the best of times. Toofy Grin A more orderly queue would not necessarily make for a longer queue. We also do our best to pick resorts that won't have long queues.

We have now booked our second self drive self catered ski hol with Peak retreats for next season. Have no interest in apres bars. Swimming is our normal apres ski activity and am hoping that might be possible with booked time slots. If not we will be happy to just ski and appreciate the scenery and relax in our apartment in the evenings.
snow report
I don’t see the queuing situation improving. I was summer skiing in Cervinia/Zermatt and all the Italian ski racing kids were on the skis behind you, pushing round you etc to get on the t-bars. You are naturally funnelled together. They could redo the ropes so it’s more like Disney world - single queue or two abreast and snaking up and down.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
They could redo the ropes so it’s more like Disney world - single queue or two abreast and snaking up and down.

They COULD, but didn't?

Sad.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@stanton, you are not the boss of anyone - thankfully

I'm thinking of a ski holiday right now - mmmmmmm

Now go back your basement

How else do you survive a day of teams & zoom calls? Watching glacier snow melt in the summer on webcams is an actual hobby isn't' it?
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, I predict a massive surge in touring!
snow report
We are looking at booking our Jan trip for 6 of us.

Normally, we do catered chalet (either TO or DIY). Have always flown and hired a car or booked a private transfer. Our usual resort/accommodation criteria is: big linked ski area, snowsure as possible, close to lifts/piste as possible (hot tub/sauna added bonus)

This time round our criteria is somewhat different:
We are self catering and driving. Bring bits with us but will stop enroute to pick up more supplies (unless CV19 is really bad by then....)
Sole occupancy on where we are renting
Big enough living space for 6 adults to be comfortable for the week (may seem obvious but normally we would be going out in the evenings, but will be staying in this time)
A resort with as few bubbles/gondolas as possible
Accommodation location with direct access into area (no buses, bubbles etc)

I think we have narrowed it down to Serre Chevalier (and Monetier Les Bains).
ski holidays
@Fridge03, take a look at the places available through Pinewood chalets. We used them for our Feb trip.
snow conditions
Hello - Its the OP lol. Fair few posts on here.
I went ahead and booked for Austria March next year. 13-18th in Zell Am See.
Looks like a good place to take my father on his birthday trip and hopefully the slopes are relatively quiet and weather holds up!
snow report
Renoun blog share their thoughts on what the USA will look like based on their summer skiing https://renoun.com/blogs/blog/will-ski-resorts-be-open-this-winter
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agent Orange wrote:
Renoun blog share their thoughts on what the USA will look like based on their summer skiing https://renoun.com/blogs/blog/will-ski-resorts-be-open-this-winter

It's a fair take but it also doesn't really state what a frustrating bottleneck a pallooza many hills will become particularly where they rely on gondola upload.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@Themasterpiece, I predict a massive surge in touring!

Touring just isn’t on the radar for the average punter. I dabble in a bit of lift served touring but wouldn’t entertain the idea of starting from the bottom like some insane people. Perhaps a bit of touring in Scandinavia though.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
They could redo the ropes so it’s more like Disney world - single queue or two abreast and snaking up and down.

They COULD, but didn't?

Sad.

Indeed. Some thought had gone into the gondolas - on the small one there was a limit of 3 when it can probably take 6, medium sized one limit of 6 when it can take 10 etc. Masks on. But the queuing was the normal free for all after the scanner, although far less people in the summer.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@stanton, no one is immune, agreed just like the common cold, but it’s effects are hugely age dependent when 80% need a test to know they’ve even got it. 80% of deaths over the age of 75. I’ve booked provisionally for Easter holidays 2021, self catering as usual, and the only reason we will cancel (we can) is if resorts shoot themselves in the foot by insisting on huge queues for social distancing on lifts, despite being often outside and windy, wearing face coverings etc.
Well some people may be immune, we don't really know just now.

However on the queue point the limiting factor is the number of people allowed on the lift not the spacing in the queue to get on it. A well managed well spaced queue might appear longer but it would not take longer ,be psychologically less stressful and possibly provide less opportunity for viral spread than some of the scrums we see for busy lifts.
snow report
If we look at how the Australian resorts planned on doing things (most now closed again for their whole season):
20% increase in lift pass prices
No season passes sold.
2 people on a 4 man chair
1 person on a T-Bar
Bubbles similar.
Cable cars at about 20% capacity.
tip-to-tail lift queues
Cap on day tickets sold
All day tickets must be reserved in advance.
No mountain restaurants open.

Apply that model to Europe and it looks quite alarming:
I don't see big price increase
Season passes will still be sold
Restaurants will be open to some degree
But the other measures? They look realistic to me.

So look forward to long lift queues.
A cap on numbers.

I would suggest that for those of us who DIY our ski trips we will have to book lift passes well in advance for one thing.
I would try to avoid all peak weeks if at all possible.

It won't be "normal"!
snow report
@rungsp, Did the Australian resorts close because covid was spreading in ski resorts or because there was a lockdown of their whole region due to cases rising in bars, work places etc?
ski holidays
@rungsp, with kids in school have to go peak weeks so aiming for the least peak of those peak weeks. Christmas and second week of Easter.

I must admit I didn’t want to book lift pass in advance just in case we can’t go. As that is quite a significant chunk of money and I would be surprised if they will offer cancellation? (Lech btw just in case anybody knows?)
ski holidays
@snowymum, regional
latest report
The difficulty with season passes is that they don't really allow resorts to control slope numbers on any day/week.

Length of lift queues will depend on demand, which at this point is unknowable. If there are only 20% of visitors they could be shorter than usual!
snow report
If we look at how Chamonix and Courmayeur are _already_ operating:

Mandatory masks
Disinfectant booth (no longer used) for Courmayeur skyway cable car
Temperature check for cable cars
Gondolas and chairs
- no apparent controls, but not so busy that people would need to share with strangers
- we had 5 on a 6 man chair as that was our group size
Some reduction of cable car capacity (c. 50% at times), but this appears to be abandoned at busy times
Season passes still valid
Walk-up day tickets fully available

These seem consistent with the other reports on here from Zermatt, Les Deux Alpes etc.

Based on how things have been this summer, I think the situation is relatively binary for European skiing - either we'll be behaving at 80% of normality (current situation), or we'll be almost entirely prevented from skiing because the R value is too high in a region.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@rungsp, with kids in school have to go peak weeks so aiming for the least peak of those peak weeks.

You do NOT have to GO

Ski Holidays ... ANY Holidays are NOT Essential . = Irresponsible,

Coronavirus is on the increase again in Europe.

Germany today.
https://twitter.com/WDRaktuell/status/1291298590925651970

Further Lockdowns are imminent

Forget about planning/taking a Wintersports vacation season 2020/2021

STAY AT HOME

Australia ..

Victoria Ski Areas ALL closed today.

Argentina & Chile

Resorts Closed (didnt open) .....which is a shame as Portillo has over 5 metres of snow right now !!!
latest report
If am wearing gloves and have my faced covered and they limit the capacity in enclosed lifts to allow 1m spacing I would imagine the risk must be pretty low on the lift system?

I would have thought restaurants, bars, close contact in accommodation would be more of an issue. But even that is no different in terms of what is happening now i.e., reduced capacity, distancing, track and trace.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy