Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
bambionskiis wrote:
I had an email this morning from Avanti insurance saying they're giving cover for becoming ill with covid whilst away:

Be covered for COVID-19 when abroad
We can cover you for medical expenses and repatriation if you become unwell as a result of COVID-19 whilst travelling abroad. Like other insurers, we can’t cover claims related to coronavirus before you travel or if you are positively diagnosed before you leave home. However, we think this will come as a relief for anyone who still hopes to travel outside the UK when restrictions are lifted.^
3 months FREE cover with our annual multi-trip policies
If you're starting to think about when your next holiday may be, then take advantage of our 15 months for the price of 12 special offer on Annual Multi-Trip policies.† Pay for 12 months cover and we give you an extra 3 months FREE.

It doesn't address if your holiday is covered for covid cancellation etc just the health aspect but it's a start. Hopefully others will follow, and build on it.

This is an interesting approach and is seductively sweet. Thinking about it though, what are the costs to the insurance company if you are diagnosed with C-19? Given the symptoms are flu like or non-existent, ot would have to be detected. If say you are detected as being C-19 positive at an airport, then its likely that you will be forced into State run quarantine. So really the only likely payout that the insurance company will have to make is your flights home and in a very small number of cases hospitalisation. The real cost from an insurance perspective is cancelled travel arrangements. By excluding C-19 cover before you travel then the risk for the bulk of the holiday cost is on you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were supposed to be flying EasyJet to Spain for a week this Friday but rebooked about 6 weeks ago to go next easter free of charge - we couldn’t see the point in waiting. It seems from speaking to others though that the “free” change of booking is absorbed in the cost of the new flights!! I’d assumed it was just because we’d opted for a holiday period but others have said that wasn’t the case for them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife had flights booked to Lisbon at Whitsun, cancelled by Air Portugal. She accepted a voucher (though with little option to do anything else) to the value plus a 20% bonus and was happy with that. She has just rebooked for next Whitsun and her flights were about 19.97% more expensive than last year. Who could have guessed! In fairness she is happy that she is booked up again, paying nothing extra and has putting the remaining voucher value of about £1.37 down to experience.......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haven't booked anything yet, but I'm planning at least 5 ski trips this winter snowHead
BTW: If anyone from Netherlands/Belgium/Germany is willing to go for a ski trip, I love to drive to the alps and we can share the gas! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As an update......my wife now has a suspected ACL injury.......C-19 be damned......on the plus side, we now have another reason to claim on our insurance for our cancelled trip Down under in July!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a heads up of something that came through over the last couple of days to do with Ski Lessons with New Generation. These could appeal and whilst New Gen are not a cheap option for ski lessons they are pretty good. I think the offering below is pretty fair, especially if you travel insurance wont cover you for C-19.

"2020.21 Winter Season COVID Updates
All bookings for Winter 2020.21 come with the following three New Generation guarantees as standard.

1. Financial Guarantee - 100% Refund Until October 31, 2020

Any bookings made for 2020.21 may be cancelled and fully refunded up until October 31, 2020. No questions asked.

2. Flexibility - Defer Your Booking for 24 months - At No Cost

Need to move your lessons? You now have the option to defer your lessons for up to 2 years, at no additional cost. You must let us know no later than 28 days before the start of your first lesson.

3. New Generation COVID Cover

We are also well aware that the COVID-19 situation may change over the coming months, in which case we’re offering you extra flexibility. If one of the following happens due to COVID-19, we are offering a 70% refund up until 48hrs before the start of your first lesson:

You are prevented from travelling due to government travel restrictions
You are sick with COVID-19
Your ski resort destination has closed all lifts
If you'd prefer zero risk, you have the option to pay a small fee for 100% refund guarantee.

Zero Risk - 100% Refund Guarantee Option

We are now providing an option for you to add a ‘100% Refund Guarantee’ onto your booking. For a small fee of 7% of your booking, selected and paid for at the time of purchase, we’ll guarantee a full refund up until 48hrs before your lesson."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eurotunnel:

Our August outbound booking for £88 would now cost £127 for the same slot, although our late Jan 2021 outbound for £92 is only £1 more.

This is almost certainly people deciding that the indicators are now good enough to make a summer holiday reservation, producing a rise in bookings. The site is certainly overloaded and very very slow at the moment.

But what I'd suggest is that if you're intending to use Eurotunnel next winter, then just check every few weeks to see if the prices start to rise. I suspect that there will be a point sometime where sentiment will similaraly chage re winter hols and a lot of people jump in to make their bookings.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobinS wrote:
JanetS and I have a job running a chalet for next season - so everybody get booking please Cool

Which Chalet, Which resort ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WindOfChange, This one in Meribel Les Allues: https://www.alpineethos.co.uk/st-joseph
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were all set to head off to Colorado for xmas and New Years, but given how USA currently going, have decided we will postpone this year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Europe is likely to be in the middle of a second wave in the Autumn the way things are going. I’m starting to think my Jan trip to the Dolomites won’t go ahead. This virus is going nowhere until a vaccine is found and deployed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We got a letter from Nicola Sturgeon last week which mentioned that anyone could be contacted at any point and told to isolate for 2 weeks as they've been in contact with someone who tested positive- this would make booking any kind of trip a big gamble as could be contacted just before due to go. Presume no insurance companies offering cover for this?

we're booked in a self catering up north in August but that's only a fraction of the price of a ski holiday for two if we can't make it at the last minute.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I expect lots of junk mail over the next few months from all the Ski companies offering massive reductions for next year. I normally get offered £100 off and half price ski hire etc, however looking last night not much reductions on some of the smaller resorts. As for some of the real expensive places like Chamonix and so on i can see they've already knocked a lot off on the top hotels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm looking at booking for February half-term week and everywhere I'm interested in seems to already be fully booked! I know it's probably the busiest week of the year and a lot will be regulars that book every year, but I'm still quite shocked!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@schifoan, suspect there is a lot of pent up demand and panic buying. Plus a guess a lot of places won't have committed to opening.

I have a crossing booked for Christmas. Will start looking in Sept/Oct as I normally do but will be interesting to see what the situation is then. I'm pretty flexible about where we go and also happy to play chicken and book last minute. Feb Half Term a different kettle of fish though.
snow conditions
I imagine lot of people simply moved their bookings from last Half Term or Easter, hence low availability
ski holidays
I guess there must be a lot of pent up demand - but not from last Feb half-term as most people still went skiing then, as far as I can tell. It was a few weeks afterwards that everything shut down.
And the places I'm contacting are definitely full - it's not that they've not committed to opening yet. I always book independently, so I contact places directly.

Oh well, it gives me hope that we might get some skiing in next year! Either that or there are a lot of over-optimistic skiers around Very Happy
snow conditions
We've 'partly' booked for Zermatt next Feb half-term. I too was surprised that many places had no or little availability already. So far, the outlay is £28 for one single flight to GVA (bought a while ago, 'just in case'), CHF370 deposit on an apartment, and about £190 tunnel. We know the apartment owner, so won't have to pay the balance until arrival, and the tunnel is transferable to another date if necessary. But I assume Zermatt will be doing their usual early-booking offer for lift passes in October, which saves 20%, so that may be an interesting decision.
snow report
MCL wrote:
We got a letter from Nicola Sturgeon last week which mentioned that anyone could be contacted at any point and told to isolate for 2 weeks as they've been in contact with someone who tested positive- this would make booking any kind of trip a big gamble as could be contacted just before due to go. ...

+1.

Not just a risk that you as an individual might be positive. Any of the following could occur, with not much notice:
- local lockdown in your town, or national lockdown in Scotland / UK;
- local /national lockdown at your destination accommodation / resort / country;
- local lockdown at any significant transit location (Glasgow, Geneva, Dover, Eurotunnel, ..., which conceivably could be kept open for freight but not private travel);
- add the risk that the virus resurges, and is more difficult to control, in the winter;
- add the indirect virus-related risks that some travel / accommodation element fails or cuts services prior to your holiday;
- then add the weather and other risks that exist in any normal year.

Impossible to say if in total these add up to a 50% / 5% / 0.5% / 0.05 % or even lower risk. But what is certain is that it is many many times greater than in previous years, and significantly further increased by booking early.

Someone who wants a specific accommodation / resort / week, or is okay with losing the (probably uninsured) deposit/full cost, might be prepared to take on the increased risk. But there will be plenty who leave things much later.
latest report
I've just booked my accommodation for New Years week - didn't want to leave it any longer. Got it with free cancellation until xmas, for only a tiny amount over other comparable properties.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
I've just booked my accommodation for New Years week - didn't want to leave it any longer. Got it with free cancellation until xmas, for only a tiny amount over other comparable properties.

Must be something wrong with it.

Not wishing to be a killjoy - just don't want you to get fleeced.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
fixx wrote:

Must be something wrong with it.

Not wishing to be a killjoy - just don't want you to get fleeced.

I appreciate the concern - it's through AirBNB, paid by credit card, dozens of reviews over past 4 years, and a friend has previously stayed there Smile It's not cheap - it's just not overpriced.
snow conditions
My feeling is IF the virus is still a threat to ski holidays other travelling and general life by Jan 21 losing a few quid on the booking is the least of our worries.
The worlds economy will be destroyed and unless we go to monopoly money we will be back to the dark ages.
snow report
First post!
I've booked flights from Bristol to Geneva for 15-21 December. Will hopefully go to Tignes or wherever the snow is. First time snowboarding since 2010 so will definitely need some refresher lessons before I go Cool
ski holidays
@martyn76, Welcome to Snowheads.
snow report
Eurotunnel have now withdrawn the frequent traveller ticket options due to current demand on the service.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
MCL wrote:
We got a letter from Nicola Sturgeon last week which mentioned that anyone could be contacted at any point and told to isolate for 2 weeks as they've been in contact with someone who tested positive- this would make booking any kind of trip a big gamble as could be contacted just before due to go. ...

+1.

Not just a risk that you as an individual might be positive. Any of the following could occur, with not much notice:
- local /national lockdown at your destination accommodation / resort / country;
- local lockdown at any significant transit location (Glasgow, Geneva, Dover, Eurotunnel, ..., which conceivably could be kept open for freight but not private travel);

This is why I’m happy to live in Sweden Smile

Even if there are a few countries that we can’t travel to at the moment, there are still plenty.

Summer skiing in Cervinia (Warren Smith course) is booked. Already hiked the Swedish “high coast” and will enjoy another trip or two to the Swedish mountains this summer.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
MCL wrote:

+1.

This is why I’m happy to live in Sweden Smile

Even if there are a few countries that we can’t travel to at the moment, there are still plenty.

Summer skiing in Cervinia (Warren Smith course) is booked. Already hiked the Swedish “high coast” and will enjoy another trip or two to the Swedish mountains this summer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Except sadly I read the swedish people are now questioning their government/medical advisor's very sensible approach which I have admired throughout the pandemic.

At the moment I am booking nothing and, if I do go it, will only be to a resort with chairlifts and not gondolas as a 60 something. If I was a 30 something I would not worry in the slightest. Not that I am overworried about this disease but risk managing one's life is nevertheless what one does at all times - even down to not jumping off walls from such a height as I used to or crossing rivers at high levels in fishing waders.

There are other activities and lower risk countries where I can indulge in good winter walking eg Spain, with higher temperatures and certainly outside the major cities on the costa del sol very low transmission of covid, and even low within some cities such as Almeria. There is little doubt, if there is no vaccine, that cold low humidity conditions are ideal for the spread of this virus as Ischgl and others have shown us.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@martyn76, Welcome to Snowheads.

Thank you! snowHead
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
Except sadly I read the swedish people are now questioning their government/medical advisor's very sensible approach which I have admired throughout the pandemic.

At least the moment I am booking nothing and, if I do go it, will only be to a resort with chairlifts and not gondolas as a 60 something. If I was a 30 something I would not worry in the slightest.

Some, but the majority support the approach (like me). Don’t want to turn this into a Covid-19 thread so let’s leave it there!

Probably Norway would be good then? Small resorts but amazing views. Stay in a cabin. Skiing more of Norway is on my list if “little brother” will let’s the Swedes in.
snow conditions
@BergenBergen, wow! Bought mine on Friday so feeling very fortunate... they made no mention of excess demand at that point.
ski holidays
@snowdave, I had been checking prices during the week and was ready to hit the button on the basis of trying to book as close to departure date as possible to get the benefit of the calender year before the tickets expire. When I went to create the wallet, the system just booted me back to the log in screen. Today they have updated the site to say its no longer available. Hope they reinstate at some point in the future as its just cost me an extra £130 on a return trip Sad
ski holidays
@BergenBergen, that’s a bit poo poo. I had the same debate, but since I was planning to share with a mate, I thought it best to just get it all set up.

Hopefully they’ll reinstate it before the ski season for you.

There’s always the alternative discount option... spend £300k on eurotunnel shares and you get 30% off Very Happy Then hope the shares don’t zero themselves again.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@BergenBergen, that’s a bit poo poo. I had the same debate, but since I was planning to share with a mate, I thought it best to just get it all set up.

There’s always the alternative discount option... spend £300k on eurotunnel shares and you get 30% off Very Happy Then hope the shares don’t zero themselves again.

Is that 300 grand or 300 quid ? and is it 30% off every ticket or just once ?
ski holidays
@robs1, the former. £300,000. It’s 30% off a certain number a year, but hard to make the maths work...!

Eurotunnel shareholder discount was much better for those in the original flotation, but they lost all their money on the shares instead
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
snowdave wrote:

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/content/uploads/2019/12/191205-conditions-generales-avantages-tarifaires-UK.pdf
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
@snowdave, I had been checking prices during the week and was ready to hit the button on the basis of trying to book as close to departure date as possible to get the benefit of the calender year before the tickets expire

If you left it very late they probably wouldn't have had any FT tickets available anyway. That's presumably why they withdrew them.

I am not sure it's in the public domain how many FT tickets they allow for each train at peak times but it would be interesting to know.
latest report
I have accommodation with Free Cancellation booked for the final weekend of Jan 2021 in Gastein. Will confirm with the guys going closer to the event - accept that flight prices will be higher, but if we get a spike then having not booked i'm less likely to get burned.

Looking at potentially a weekend with my girls in Feb/Mar - may head to Cervinia if I can get a decent free cancellation deal on accommodation.

For the family ski we are looking at Easter, but won't commit until a couple weeks before - in terms of resort or accommodation.

Will be very much a last minute booking!
snow report
Layne wrote:
robs1 wrote:
snowdave wrote:

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/content/uploads/2019/12/191205-conditions-generales-avantages-tarifaires-UK.pdf

That link says 750 of the consolidated (ie current) shares required which are trading at EUR13.75. So a holding of about £9.5k would qualify just now?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy