Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quarantine if flying to UK from Austria via Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
As I understand the rules, at the current time, you can enter Austria from Germany without the need for COVID negative test in last 4 days if you are travelling from an EU country and and EU citizen (UK counts in this currently). If you were flying to the UK directly from Austria you would need to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. Travelling from Austria via Germany means that you do not have to quarantine but surely it would be beholden on the individual to declare that they had visited Austria on the form that has to be completed online 48 hours before arriving in the UK? Or is this a genuine loophole that it is OK to travel to the UK from Austria via Germany?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you stay in Austria then you must quarantine on your return. Yes it down to the individual to declare where they have stayed on their holiday and how the feel about braking the rules/law and about their social responsibility .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowsartre, The whole system is based on trust and honesty. Though you would undoubtably get away with it it is wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
Though you would undoubtably get away with it...

You would probably get away with it.

But I think a breach is now a criminal offence, so the police have rather more powers. To guarantee getting away with it you would need, while in Austria, to: avoid using your debit/credit card, not turn your phone on, present a false passport to your hotel, etc !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The form asks for details of all the countries the person has been in during the last 14 days prior to entering the UK.

So to follow the law, you would have to declare Austria and quarantine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can afford the holiday time/costs, you could presumably sit out the 14 days in Germany (you can ski there too...) and then return to the UK quarantine-free legally, I think.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowsartre
It's people who are 'getting away with' avoiding quarantine and self-isolation who are spreading the virus and why we are heading into a second wave and new control measures.
Stay at home
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess it depends what the quarantine regulations are at the time. Infection rates are likely to fall in Austria during the off season months of October and November. Which might mean that the UK removes Austria from their quarantine list. But high infection rates in the UK might mean that it is added to Austria's, Germany's or the potential EU-wide quarantine/negative test list.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
codyaitch wrote:
@Snowsartre
It's people who are 'getting away with' avoiding quarantine and self-isolation who are spreading the virus and why we are heading into a second wave and new control measures.
Stay at home

Given the number of people travelling (ie hardly any) I think it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that the current increase in cases is down to foreign travel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, you are right, if you spend 14 days in a non naughty list country , then you don’t need to quarantine.

@queenie pretty please, agree there’s a chance of the UK going on the EU list, have everything crossed hoping it doesn’t happen.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre, I've looked into this because i need to go to France or Switzerland and our facory is near munich. I'm UK based

If you have been in an at risk country in the last 14 days you need to quarantine for 14 days. If you go to other countries and spend a full 14 days outside of an at risk country then you dont need to quarantine.

My Q to the Gov business site and NHS inform was If I'm in Switzerland and go to Germany for a week, do I need to quarantine for 7 days or 14 days? Ans is 14 days unless you have been out of an at risk country for 14 days.

So even if you go to Germany for 13 days and come back, you need ot quarantine for 14 days. If you stay in Germany for 15 days you dont.

I am potentially doing 2 things. Going to france, then to our factory for a few days, then sweeden ofr a few days to meet people, then possibly to Norway. I will complete all my training obligations and will come back after 14 full days.

If not I will go to Italy (likely to be safe for while) for a break.

Alternative number 2. Take my wife to her mothers (our bubble), I go to france and return to quarantine at home alone.

I will not be chancing it or passing it on to anyone. My sister is really careful and her daughter works with CovidSamples in a hospital and they have all caught it. So I aint putting someone's life at risk by meeting anyone.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlasgowCyclops, pretty sure it’s 7 days - you can do part of your quarantine in a non-naughty list country.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay wrote:
codyaitch wrote:
@Snowsartre
Stay at home

Given the number of people travelling (ie hardly any) I think it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that the current increase in cases is down to foreign travel.

Particularly as rates of transmission are higher in many areas of the UK than overseas. You're more likely to catch Covid in Bolton than in Austria
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, No It is 14. That was the advice from NHS inform.

They had to check 3 times up the chain. It makes no sense to me from a biology point of view but that is the rules apparently. I guess to make it easy to understand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops, really? That’s not what I understood from gov.uk:

“ If you’re travelling from an exempt country you will not need to self-isolate. You should check the list of exempt countries before you travel. If you travel from an exempt country but have been in a country that is not exempt within the last 14 days, you will need to self-isolate for the remainder of the 14 days since you were last in a non-exempt country.

Presumably NHS Inform is a Serco or G4S call centre!
latest report
The baffling bit for us is the rules around self-isolating when you get back. OH has to take a 4-day to Spain. When she returns, she has to isolate for 14 days, fair enough - but she can isolate at home, with kids and I, and we don't need to isolate - kids go to school, I can get on with whatever it is I do these days. We had thought that she'd need to go off to a hotel or something, or we'd need to isolate as a household until we get the all-clear.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, is the recommendation that the quarantinee should keep themselves to themselves at home, a bit like they did with the shielding people - ie if you can, sleep/live in separate rooms, use the kitchen separately etc?
ski holidays
I have a feeling that Austria rates will come down before the season starts. However we are seriously considering quarantine on return. It is the arrival from UK into Austria that will be an issue. From January the UK may be treated differently to other EU states do that would be a concern. As a result if there is a window I think Dec will be it. But let’s see....
latest report
@andy from embsay, its implied, but the wooliness of the wording shows how nigh on impossible that situation would be.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:

Bolton is currently the worst infection rates in the whole uk......

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bolton-coronavirus-holiday-man-pub-crawl-blamed-for-spike_uk_5f66006ac5b6480e896f7549

......... still think it's a bit of stetch?
latest report
Currently this conversation is probably moot as Innsbruck is not too far off being declared a "high risk" area by the German government (it already has been by the Dutch government and the Belgian government is apparently going to declare the Tirol and Vorarlberg "red zones"). If it is (Vienna is) then it means either a negative test or quarantine on entering Germany. In reality it is unlikely that folk simply transiting from the Tirol to Munich airport would be checked but it would clearly add breaching German regulations to the UK ones. I am afraid for those worrying about winter skiing the only option currently is to be patient to see what the situation looks like in a month or twos time.
snow report
Said holidaymaker has had no symptoms and has not been tested but has been fined a grand by GMP - so he’s clearly an idiot. So someone in Bolton didn’t quarantine. Bolton has had an outbreak. Correlation is not causation.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, Do you have a link for that. It would be useful for me.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

This is England, don’t know about elsewhere in the UK. It’s in the “who must self-isolate” section.
ski holidays
Covidiots

Forget about the 2020/21 Winter Season.. It iis pure Covidiot Stupidity to even be thinking about

A Holiday is suppose to be relaxing (no worry's) experience. Everyone will be caught up and have to conform to many uncomfortable rules (Curfews) & fines which could change at a moments notice..

Austria for example does not give a couple of days notice ...It is immediate, luggage is removed from Hotel your then on your own.

Trying/Finding ways to circumnavigate Rules/Quarantines of different Countries/Regions... You are the Covidiots ! Shocked

You are the Problem Shocked

STAY AT HOME
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, there's an underlying principle in most of the rules, that only those who may have been directly exposed to an infected person, have to isolate. The "second degree" infection risk is ignored, I suspect because it is unworkable - the numbers balloon too rapidly to track or enforce, and, in most cases, the probability that even the first person is infected is very low, thus the probability that another person in their house is also infected becomes vanishingly small.

Of course, there is one apparent way around the UK quarantine rules. Travel at least once a week and it becomes a cross-border commute and you're exempt. Ski every weekend and it's fine snowHead (no, I'm not advocating this, tho' it would almost be compatible with my skiing pattern last season)
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Snowsartre, I've looked into this because i need to go to France or Switzerland and our facory is near munich. I'm UK based

If you have been in an at risk country in the last 14 days you need to quarantine for 14 days. If you go to other countries and spend a full 14 days outside of an at risk country then you dont need to quarantine.

My Q to the Gov business site and NHS inform was If I'm in Switzerland and go to Germany for a week, do I need to quarantine for 7 days or 14 days? Ans is 14 days unless you have been out of an at risk country for 14 days.

So even if you go to Germany for 13 days and come back, you need ot quarantine for 14 days. If you stay in Germany for 15 days you dont.

I am potentially doing 2 things. Going to france, then to our factory for a few days, then sweeden ofr a few days to meet people, then possibly to Norway. I will complete all my training obligations and will come back after 14 full days.

Alternative number 2. Take my wife to her mothers (our bubble), I go to france and return to quarantine at home alone.

I will not be chancing it or passing it on to anyone. My sister is really careful and her daughter works with CovidSamples in a hospital and they have all caught it. So I aint putting someone's life at risk by meeting anyone.

No you only have to quarantine for the balance of 14 days remaining form the time you leave the country in the quarantine list. We left France in August after they joined UK's quarantine list but drove through Germany where we spent 8 days which meant we only needed to quarantine for 6 days in the UK. We declared our travels on the passenger locator form and had the UK border control officer confirm we were doing ok to only quarantibe in the UK. We also declared we stopped in a remote location (far corner of deserted services) while driving back through France to stretch the legs and that was also fine as we did not come into contact with anyone.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

No you only have to quarantine for the balance of 14 days remaining form the time you leave the country in the quarantine list. We left France in August after they joined UK's quarantine list but drove through Germany where we spent 8 days which meant we only needed to quarantine for 6 days in the UK. We declared our travels on the passenger locator form and had the UK border control officer confirm we were doing ok to only quarantibe in the UK. We also declared we stopped in a remote location (far corner of deserted services) while driving back through France to stretch the legs and that was also fine as we did not come into contact with anyone.

You are correct for England, but from my reading the law is different in Scotland. I think GlasgowCyclops has been correctly advised (assuming he's Scotland).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, If that's the case then the rules in England are (for once) more sensible than those in Scotland.... Toofy Grin
latest report
@sugarmoma666, Yes I'm in Glasgo Scotland and not Glasgow Trumpland. I work from home and also It i best to not go to our office. I'll take my wife to her mothers's (allowed in our bubble) and Ill isolate in the castle and pull up the drawbridge. Happy
snow conditions
radar wrote:
If you stay in Austria then you must quarantine on your return. Yes it down to the individual to declare where they have stayed on their holiday and how the feel about braking the rules/law and about their social responsibility .

Its traceable though.....mobile phone.....credit cards all leave a trail for where you have been. If you are identified as a source of spread, be in no doubt they will trace and review and fine.....if for no other reason than to deflect blame from the current Govt's approach to "selfish entitled individuals".
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, totally agree, made similar comments on this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006#4645522, which is quite long and has gone of the topic a bit LOL
latest report
Quote:

Its traceable though.....mobile phone.....credit cards all leave a trail for where you have been.

Assuming you have a mobile phone and credit cards of course. Is't the facial recognition systems etc a better option Toofy Grin
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Its traceable though.....mobile phone.....credit cards all leave a trail for where you have been.

Assuming you have a mobile phone and credit cards of course. Is't the facial recognition systems etc a better option Toofy Grin

Hard to book flights these days without a card....
snow conditions
Was discussing this the other day. The only way you may get away with it is if you fly to Munich, book accommodation in Germany, switch your phone off and just use cash for transport costs ie trains etc, and dont switch phones on or anything.

Go to Austria for the day, come back to Germany for the night, and fly back to the UK the next day.

But legally you would be breaking the law by not declaring travel over the border.

Just cant do it.
ski holidays
Quote:

Hard to book flights these days without a card....

Indeed, showing you went to Munich. I've often wondered how people who for various reasons don't have credit/debit cards get along. Or indeed how my brother in law can manage without a passport or a driving licence or any other photo ID. As for mobile phones I have a friend who doesn't use one.
snow report
Quote:

@Snowsartre
Stay at home

@codyaitch, Well said, 100% agree. If skiing for me doesn't happen next season i'll be gutted, but it'll still be there the season after, i'll get over it.....protecting vulnerable people needs to be the absolute priority, people need to wise up and behave rather than looking for ways to get around restrictions, quarantines and potentially lockdowns, they are there for a reason.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, +1
ski holidays
Why would people want to lie about where they have been? Why can people not just follow the rules (yes, I know about Cummings et al)?
snow report
Hurdy wrote:
Why would people want to lie about where they have been? Why can people not just follow the rules (yes, I know about Cummings et al)?

Because of a perception that the rules are arbitrary and also that covid affects very, very few people with serious symptoms.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy