Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flashback days

Poster: A snowHead
Scarlet wrote:
@spyderjon, Well, this week would've been EoSB week, and that was Friday and today is Friday (apparently) so that'll do me NehNeh

Well if that's the case:

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm now super sad cos I remember afternoon laps on the Col when it opened when it was not heavy and deep but fairly blower (well as good as you can get in Europe in April) and deeeeep.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Twas a good day indeed, that one @Dave of the Marmottes snowHead

I think I was doing the same laps with Dzmarc... till the cloud came down suddenly and made route-finding a little more challenging.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a pic from a guided day on the 24.4.08 at the EoSB which, IIRC, was taken by rob@rar. L-R: Phillipe from Prosniege, Mosha Marc, myself & Nick the Doc.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
....till the cloud came down suddenly and made route-finding a little more challenging.

Sat at last years EoSB (when everyone had left) was a bit of a pea-souper but the snow was great and the mountain was empty. Here's a pic taken by DotM in a rare break in the cloud skiers left under the Fonde gondola.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
Here's a pic from a guided day on the 24.4.08 at the EoSB which, IIRC, was taken by rob@rar. L-R: Phillipe from Prosniege, Mosha Marc, myself & Nick the Doc.
That was a good day!

OMG! End of April conditions!

One for the road

A bit of combat skiing to exit Lac du Lou

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel 25th April 2013

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am a day late for this one, sloppy.....Avoriaz on the 24th Apr '16, went for a slide and then the closing party at Chez Flo to see Novasonic, a really good Oasis coverband playing thru the storm all afternoon

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

April 2015.
Back of Courmayeur.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
April 25th 2014. A bit thin at the bottom of the Valentine. Had to walk the last 75m

April 25th 2015 was closing day (as today should have been) and I got caught up in an impromptu party at the Boardroom.

April 25th 2016, moi

25th April 2018 still good on Crete at 2100m

25th April 2019 Storm starting to blow in making the last couple of days awesome

http://youtube.com/v/aCsfOUJGRSs
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
April 26th has produced some awesome days in past years.

April 26th 2014. Down the Valentine for one last time. Great last day skiing with Charlotte Swift (easiski) and Zelpah. Reasonable amount of snow overnight and Charlotte found some great off piste

April 26th 2017 was a super bluebird day after overnight snow.

April 26th 2018. Decent enough conditions. Last run of the day down the Valentine (almost identical photo to 2014), not bad able to get right down

April 26th 2019. Huge overnight dump 40cm or so and sunshine for the last day but one.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
27th April 2016, my stepson came for the last few days. Great organisation, he rang me on 25th to tell me he was arriving at Grenoble the next evening and could I pick him up. We did have a good few days though.

27th April 2017, white out day, loading up for season's end

27th April 2018, making a half hearted run down the summer half pipe on the glacier

27th April 2019, last run of the season down on the blue, plenty of snow on piste

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Across the valley at l'alpe d'Huez

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not seeing those images - getting no entry signs if I turn my ad blocker off...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well this is a few hours early, as the Exif says it was shot at 07:56 GMT from the lift on the Rettenbach glacier in Sölden on April 28 2013.

It looks steep, which it is - you get small bumps on this section but it's mostly just steep. Fall over and you'd slide for some distance.

You can see the lift towers top right in the shot - the lift has a dog-leg in it, with the high point being off to the left of the frame and some way back. There have been better end-of-season conditions in the last few years, but this is fairly typical. The weather mostly controls how good conditions are, which can be from ice/slush through to consistently good. The Tiefenbach glacier is to the left of frame, and goes way back, with lots of reasonably amusing (for a glacier) terrain in the right conditions.

At this time of year the road up there is almost always bare, but maybe one year in 10 you get a decent dump all the way down. I've never ridden completely back to the base at this time of year, but the stuff down to Hochsölden has been good once or twice. In those conditions you don't need to drive. There is a bus up from the town but it's not hugely frequent and if you get the right kind of lift ticket driving up is cost free.
snow report

yesterday 2019 skin up from the beach Olderdalen, Norway - view from the drone looking back at us - SAS pilot strike caused us to ski for 2 extra days
latest report
April 27th 2016 - first line of our Baffin Island trip - 1200 m of splitter goodness with perfect snow. (Oh how I want to go back!!!!!!)

snow conditions
Running short of photos and skiing days

28th April 2017. Woke to this. I must have skied but took no photos. A friend rushed down from Annecy for the weekend it was so good. Today I woke to fog and rain.

latest report
@offpisteskiing, it is going to be a while until we can travel to places like Baffin. I see the Nordics have been skiing the Fjords this spring.

28th April 2009 I skied the West Bedina couloir on very hard snow

and a couple of years ago on the same day we were on holiday in Val d'Isere

snow report
Final day of the season, 28 April 2007, somewhere above Val Thorens.

snow conditions
28 April 2019. Pan de Rideau, La Grave. Closing day, final run of the season for me. One of my best ever

28 April 2018. Your "be meticulous with suncream application when in the high mountains" warning, from the day of my return from the Haute Route Imperiale. Great ski tour, but this was absolute agony. I picked it up on the first day, which combined with terrible blisters, made it somewhat uncomfortable.
Linked as content is a bit graphic.
https://imgur.com/a/OXq2JDd
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, oh yes, that was a great afternoon with @Ronald (even if @spyderjon's WD Asbo demo skis couldn't deal with the beating I gave them)!

Sorry that it's two days late, but here is my contribution - @Ronald stylin' it out that same morning.

snow conditions
sproggski wrote:
......even if @spyderjon's WD Asbo demo skis couldn't deal with the beating I gave them!......

They patched up great and I sold 'em to my mate snowHead
latest report
davidof wrote:
@offpisteskiing, it is going to be a while until we can travel to places like Baffin. I see the Nordics have been skiing the Fjords this spring.

Yep - and to rub salt in the wound it has been probably the most epic spring for snow for the last 10 years... certainly by far the best since 2013. Have quite a few friends who have been very active (and enjoying quiet hills without 'hordes' of visiting skiers...).
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Toofy Grin snowHead

The photo of you earlier is just before Ronald's. An awesome morning - well worth the preceding 4 1/2 days of pretty chossy conditions!
snow conditions

29th April 2019. Roc du Blachon
snow report
April 29th 2016. Stepson here for the last few days of the season, this was right at the top at 3600m. I am in his photo, not that you'd notice.

April 29th 2017 was closing day. It's a bit of a tradition that a few of us, including Charlotte easiski, ski together. As I had a french friend staying she joined us too. Snow was superb.

ski holidays
A year ago Crying or Very sad

http://youtube.com/v/Lm_rTeWERv8
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some great pics! - Just shows how good the skiing can be in the Alps until far beyond what most people consider the 'end' of the season.

1 May in Iceland a couple of years ago - not too shabby!

ski holidays
As I'll not be online in the morning, here's one from May 2 2008, Rettenbach glacier Sölden.
The "May Day" weekend is generally the last day of the season there.
Snow can be anything from reasonable fresh through to summer-style schmoo. Picking the right slope helps.
ski holidays
1st May 2014, Belledonne range

latest report
philwig wrote:
As I'll not be online in the morning, here's one from May 2 2008, Rettenbach glacier Sölden.
The "May Day" weekend is generally the last day of the season there.
Snow can be anything from reasonable fresh through to summer-style schmoo. Picking the right slope helps.
Love that!
snow conditions
I’m a day late I’m afraid (job interview yesterday distracted me) but 30 Apr 2016 was a stunner in the Cairngorms. Perfect snow and weather and longer daylight hours for big days out... in fact it was so good I didn’t take photos of some the really good bits but these give a flavour

Coire an Lochain

Carn Toul/ Angels Peak across the Lairig Ghru

Head of Loch Avon

And amazingly good skiable snow right down to the loch shore

And then we ended up camping at Big Sand (Gairloch) that evening. Snow and sea! Who needs Lyngen??

snow report
Attempting to post pictures from a May weekend ski at Glencoe in 1991. My memory is it was the Saturday of the holiday weekend but the calendar says that was 4th May that year. Plenty of snow and very hot weather.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3556237557723910&set=pcb.3556240607723605&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3556237554390577&set=pcb.3556240607723605&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3556237551057244&set=pcb.3556240607723605&type=3&theater
Hope this works as I have not posted pics before and had to put them on Facebook first!
I am sporting my new brightly coloured one-piece and Mr mogulski has a black and purple one. We were with our sons and another family, 3 of the boys becoming ski instructors.
snow report
@mogulski, None of the links works for me Sad
snow report
Same here - not embedded, and the links aren't available publicly.
Here's May 4 shot from Sölden to be going on with.
ski holidays
Sorry I do not know how to put the links on here as I do not have anywhere I can put the pics publicly.
snow conditions
Try the "Snow Media Zone" on this site. Click the "SnowBase" link at the top of the page and select "Snow Media Zone". You will have to sign up I think, but it's the same people as this site. Then you get some storage space (for free) where you can upload images. There are also things in there which provide you with the url to paste into the post - "medium linked image" I think is the one I use.

You'll need to download those images from FB (where they are likely sensibly protected from public access) and then upload them to the "Snow Media Zone", then paste them here. It's easier to do than to write down.
ski holidays
@Inboard, great stuff

@mogulski, or try https://imgbb.com, free and easy to use

3rd May 2016 was the first time I hiked up a hill carrying the snowboard. Didn't start well with the dog getting trapped in a reservoir while chasing a duck. Luckily there was a rope already in place that I could 'absail' down and grab her out of the freezing water.

Next 3 pics are Chavannes, Les Gets from 1700 to 1500m.

And 2 from Pleney, Morzine

snow report
@polo, Nice snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy