Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flashback days

Poster: A snowHead
@shep, happened again 3 weeks later. So you'll have to wait until the 24th May to see pretty much the exact same pictures. The suspense eh.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
May 4 2015, Sölden's "The Refrigerator" at the top of the Rettenbach.
The name is probably a German joke I don't get.
"Patting the dog" is an illegal move, but he can actually ride pretty well for an instructor.

May 4 2015 same location. I mostly hate shots of people not riding, but this is an exception.

And May 4 2019, Siglufjörður Iceland, Rylo frame grab:

May 4 2019 they allow skiers too. Airbags were compulsory although the chances of that stuff sliding was clearly zero.
They may have helped anyone who lost an edge on the steeps above the boulder field I suppose.

I didn't manage to capture the steepness. It was sufficiently steep that it felt exposed stopping on it to shoot.
The zones with rock-solid Sastrugi were especially interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last day of our Iceland trip 2 years back. Spring snow & hot springs... mmmm!

Don't miss the right turn!

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@offpisteskiing, nice. Whereabouts in Iceland?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Inboard, Troll peninsula... Great place!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Inboard, Troll peninsula!

You must have seen quite a few snowheads then.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sat May 4 2019, conditions looking a lot better than this year, here on the Dent Blanche de Bedina

and 2008, somewhere in the Mont Blanc massif

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yesterday I noticed a random folder called May 6th on another computer....had forgotten just how good last May was. Pretty sure I posted a few of the pics on PdS thread at the time, so here are some different ones from the same day

Cafe at the top of Charniaz

Nauchet

Chamossiere

Mont Chery

And my lovely old dog scampering about in the freshies

http://youtube.com/v/khW7F9aAx_M
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Inboard, Troll peninsula!

You must have seen quite a few snowheads then.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is a great excuse to dig back through the archive, though havent found an easy way to search a specific day of the year in Photos for Mac - anyone any tips?

Greenland 2007 - Watkins mountains.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing wrote:
This is a great excuse to dig back through the archive, though havent found an easy way to search a specific day of the year in Photos for Mac - anyone any tips?
Yes, it's very easy. Be in your photo Library and have 'All Photos' selected. Then in the search box just type the date you are interested in, "6 May" for example, and the app will give you a range of search results such as Moments, Albums, Memories. One of these, if you have photos dated on that day in your library will be "Date". Click on the sample photo it shows and all your photos on that date will be displayed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, thanks - that kind of works but not completely - it gives me the photos for certain years on that day, but not all... Strange..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@offpisteskiing, thanks! Looks great...on the list for another year...and fingers crossed the trolls stay either under their bridges/ web forums wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing wrote:
@rob@rar, thanks - that kind of works but not completely - it gives me the photos for certain years on that day, but not all... Strange..
Having played around with it a little more, when you type in the date a little option appears underneath with a calendar icon. If I click on that it seems to display all the photos with that date, although I can't be 100% certain it lists every single photo without trawling through my library of 30,000 photos.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
Having played around with it a little more, when you type in the date a little option appears underneath with a calendar icon. If I click on that it seems to display all the photos with that date, although I can't be 100% certain it lists every single photo without trawling through my library of 30,000 photos.

If nothing else you have just made me feel a whole lot better about my 'measly' 15,000 photos !! Happy
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
If nothing else you have just made me feel a whole lot better about my 'measly' 15,000 photos !! Happy
It's the curse of digital cameras! Back in the day you had to carefully ration each roll of 36 photos. Now you can click away like a demented thing.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
offpisteskiing wrote:
It's the curse of digital cameras! Back in the day you had to carefully ration each roll of 36 photos. Now you can click away like a demented thing.

That's for sure - I try to have a first cull before I import from the camera, then a second cull once they are on the computer, and then an end of season/year cull (for ski photos) and still have waaay too many...

Talking of which - scan from a slide from a trip to AK in May 2001

..must get the rest of them digitised before too long!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 7-05-20 10:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
... and still have waaay too many...
For which we are vicariously grateful!
ski holidays
Greenland - 8 May last year - Snowhead's very own @Sharkymark in his element catching cod on a hand-line off the edge of the ice floe:

...and then being gazumped by Rian with a 'triple-header':

ski holidays
Slightly later, the landing craft arrives

and we ride snowmobiles up the fjord

that wouldn't have been a bad place to self-isolate Cool
ski holidays
Great pics everyone

8 May 2011, Val Thorens

I've seen better conditions

ski holidays
This time last year my eldest did a Snowboarding taster day - I have loads of videos but very few photos. Any tips for how I can upload a video?

She went on to do a number of lessons but think ended up getting frustrated by the slow progress, especially as her younger sister was having ski lessons at same time so going form higher up the slope etc.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, put them on YouTube, easy to share here then
ski holidays
@Claude B, thanks will look into that. I have never used it in any way other than watching stuff.
ski holidays
One day late with this, but this time last year - last big line in Greenland - first known descent...

We have found the retirement home of THE star of Monty Python & the Holy Grail:

@Arno

@Arno again, brandishing the 'hoof of triumph' on the summit:

This is what we think it came from:

@Sharkymark on the descent:

...and of course no visit to Western Greenland is complete without a visit from the local shaman...:
snow report
Last year to the day, and what a difference in a year Sad

I took a group of mainly piste skiers ski touring in classic Spring Snow conditions up to La Gardiole which is near Col de Granon.

http://youtube.com/v/pP8grpGml0M
snow report
Lofoten just over a year ago. Snowhead’s very own @offpisteskiing testing a slope with added turquoise fjord. Apparently they’re having the best spring in decades. Currently powder to sea level...

latest report
17 May 2008 - heading into the Vanoise high country above Pralognan...

Just dug this out while clearing out some old folders of photos and thought it was worth a share!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last one from me, 24th May 2016 a nice dusting to 1500m.

As usual, the lower half of Mont Chery was almost unskiable.
snow report
24 May 2010 - Dent Parrachée east face with the now sadly departed Will.

latest report
Lets see how long we can keep this thread going! Happy

Have missed a few 'archive days' recently, and am a couple of days late with this one due to a recently diagnosed (and soon to be hopefully fixed) torn/detached retina...

Monto Blanco - June 4 2009 with Will & Ross. 3 Monts from first bin up the Midi with the intention of skiing the West face - plan A shelved at the summit due to lots of cloud on the Italian side (so no thaw...) while the French side was bluebird. Skied the north face instead which was in pretty good shape.

Heading up the Tacul:

Will and Ross somewhere around the Col de la Brenva at 4300m-ish:

Ross high up on the North face:

Looking back up the upper North face from teh Grand Plateau:

Short ab over a serac/crevasse above the Jonction:

Bit of a schlep to get back round to the mid-station...! looking forward to pizza and beer in town.

West face still on the to-do list 10 years later (I blame the kids...)...
ski holidays
Keeping it going here (a few days late again due to an eye op...) - 10 years ago - a fun day out on the Ben:

Tower Gully - A summer ski descent from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/14539845
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, :applauds:
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, lovely stuff.
latest report
All the way back to June 2011 for the conclusion of my longest alpine season, which started on 28 September 2010 skiing fresh snow on the Grand Motte glacier and concluded on 22 June 2011 skiing fresh snow on the Grand Motte glacier.

Summer skiing can be awesome, with early starts giving the chance of the best snow, and then afternoons for other activities such as via ferrata and whitewater rafting.

ski holidays
Glacier in Argentiere village (Chamonix), France, circa 1890.

ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Glacier in Argentiere village (Chamonix), France, circa 1890.

Did you take that one on 18 June that year?
snow report

5 years ago today. Skiing Ben Nevis on the 1st of July 2015
snow report
1 year ago today, Whistler.
Video taken from Nessa Dziemian's instagram feed.

http://youtube.com/v/bP4qU9crrwk
ski holidays
Time to reboot this thread after the summer layoff. First photo taken on 28 September 2010, on the Grand Motte glacier in Tignes. Awesome snow conditions for so early in the autumn, in what was my longest ever season starting at the end of September and not concluding until June the following year.

The next couple of photos are from two or three days later, showing that conditions actually improved. Happy days!

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy