Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot pain....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I used to get a lot of foot pain when skiing in hire boots (specifically my right foot felt like ice (at first I thought they were leaking - so tightened them - which of course exacerbated the issue). So I took the plunge and bought myself some Head boots and had some custom cork "superfeet" insoles molded. The boots were fitted at a professional ski shop, who also moulded the insoles. They seemed to be experienced at what they were doing.

Two weeks ago I took my new boots for three days of skiing. Both feet hurt. Even with the buckles across the top of my feet on the loosest setting that they wouldn't spontaneously open on I was getting sort feet after an hour or so. With them tightened up one more notch (the tension I would traditionally have expected on those buckles - but I am no expert) then they were painfull virtually continuously. My toes would go numb.

Now when I tried them on in the shop they were snug but not painful. Could the temperature difference between the slope and the shop be the reason? Or am I doing something stupid? Does anyone else have experience of this?

Ten days after coming back I still have some tingling in my toes - this is something I have never expereinced before. They aren't actually numb (I can inflict pain on them) but it doesn't feel normal. It seems to be getting gradually better.

So here are some questions people might be able to help with...

- can the footbeds be molded wrongly?
- can they be remolded if they were made wrongly?
- how helpful should I expect a good boot shop to be if I am going back now (boots were bought at end of last years season)?
- is there anything else I can do to reduce the pain - e.g. ankle/foot exercises?
- if this sounds like it is beyond the normal skill of a bootshop should I be looking to find a podiatrist? if so how do I do that (I am in central belt of scotland).

My posture when skiing is not great. I am not sure if this is the cause or an effect of the foot pain (i.e. am I naturally ajusting body wieght to minimise pain OR if I can get the bad skiing style out will the footpain improve?)

Thanks in advance for anyone who thinks they have an opinion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe repost this in Equipment for a better response?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a similar problem with some Technica boots. Could last the morning until left with pins and needles in my right boot. They are better second season after fitting of superfeet, but also had some of the inner boot ground.
My feeling is that the boot is really too narrow or possibly too short. If you have wide feet, this will be a problem, but different boot manufacturers use different lasts. Nordica, I believe accommodate wide feet better. Shops tend to stress not having room in the boots, but modern inner materials allow very little bedding in so do not feel you have to be crammed in at first purchase.
Take them back. I should have done, but did not. I was lucky they have worked out better second year.
As an afterthought, please can someone bring back rear entry for the recreational skier (but without the ankle wire).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Polly,

I'm not a bootfitter or an expert on skiing, boots or feet so please take my views (and those of other lay experts that you have invited to respond) with due caution.

I used to have a lot of pain in my feet. It came daily, about an hour after I started skiing and would last for about an hour before easing. My boots have four clips, two on my foot and two on my calf, as well as power strap. On a ski instructors suggestion, I left the upper clip on my foot completely open. His reasoning is that you have a lot of blood vessels near the surface of your foot here and the boots could br restricting the blood flow.

Anyway, it worked for me. I haven't had a problem since. I tighten up the other clips as tight as I like and it doesn't make a difference.

I'm dubious on footbets. This year, I discovered on the 5th day skiing that the insole of my right boot was left in the attic. I hadn't noticed and was still comfortable skiing all day.

Skibb.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMT wrote:
Maybe repost this in Equipment for a better response?
thanks - I spotted a similar question there too - so have cross linked in that post (rather than stealing his thread).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skibb wrote:
I'm not a bootfitter or an expert on skiing, boots or feet so please take my views (and those of other lay experts that you have invited to respond) with due caution.
No problem - it was real people's - lay experience I was looking for. I guess in part I am trying to understand if I have a common complaint that the bootshop can help fix or have some sort of unusual feet that are going to need genuine expert input.

Quote:
On a ski instructors suggestion, I left the upper clip on my foot completely open. His reasoning is that you have a lot of blood vessels near the surface of your foot here and the boots could br restricting the blood flow.
that probably fits with my experience of playing around with the buckles to try and find a happy compromise. -- so that then leads to the question - does that buckle serve a purpose? am i increasing the risk of ankle or other injury leaving it loose?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

that probably fits with my experience of playing around with the buckles to try and find a happy compromise. -- so that then leads to the question - does that buckle serve a purpose? am i increasing the risk of ankle or other injury leaving it loose?

Polly,

If any of the buckles on my calf, particularly the upper one, was undone, I think that would significantly deteriorate my ability to control my skis. I'd even go so far as to question my ability to ski safely on anything other than gentle blues with a very loose top buckle. I have a wide foot and high instep and my foot doesn't move in the boot when I leave one of the bottom buckles undone. Someone with narrow feet mightn't feel as comfortable with the same set up if they experience a bit of movement.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had this exact problem - numb feet after an hour of skiing and excruciating pain when trying to take them off.

In my case it was a steep instep, that caused the blood vessels being crushed by the buckles even at loosest setting.
With rental boots every time it as a nightmarish choice between going 1-2 sizes up and skiing literally with buckets on my feet, or screaming with pain.

Heat moulded boots and liners fitted by a qualified person solved it. I can now ski all day with no issue whatsoever. Don't loosen them even for lunch.

So I guess get a second opinion from a boot fitter with good recommendations? They may be able to fix yours, or find you a new pair that fits
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oleski, Holy thread bump (for spam). 2008
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, oops, didn't pay attention to dates
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had similar problem.. Mine was mortens neuroma.. Used a silicon pad which solved the problem... Then it started in my other boot this season!!
Feels odd at first but it works.. And don't tighten your foot bindings.. There only there to keep snow out.. Its the ankle bindings that do the work
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy