Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Covid-19 exit strategy

Poster: A snowHead
Depends what you do but the salaries are pretty decent and the tax is much lower so factor that in too @holidayloverxx,

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-04-20 15:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The period before there's a vaccine and high levels of vaccination ('herd immunity') is basically a gamble about a tightrope walk (to mix metaphors). If a particular roadmap doesn't work, then they'll be in a Worst Case Scenario of yet more unnecessary deaths + a massive economic hit. And they'll have to start all over again. Let's hope the UK learns from other countries' experiences and uses the results to better navigate ourselves through this - although on past performance, I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-04-20 15:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ringingmaster,

So you'll be walking / cycling from now on then . . .just 'in case' . . .? Make sure you use the green cross code whilst walking across the road for the bus then to protect yourself from all those others still driving that simply do not care . . .

Death / Illness through Alcohol & Obesity is a massive problem in this country and a huge strain on families mental health, the NHS, businesses - the numbers are ridiculous - and its been going on for centuries, not 6 weeks. Those afflictions arent risks to others?. . .maybe if it was reported verbatim, day in day out and supported by 'experts' with data we'd all be abstaining. .

As I said - 'perspective' . . .

PS. Enjoy your next ski trip (whenever that is) - hopefully this will be long forgotten and have become a slightly dull conversation by then . . .if it has not already
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Belch, You appear to be deliberately choosing to misunderstand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ringingmaster,

I'm not deliberately choosing anything at the moment (choice itself seems to be a dim and distant memory) - you appear to be believing everything you are told . . .

I understand the 'situation' implicitly and am as concerned and worried as the next man - death is not a particularly jolly subject. What i'm more concerned about is where this is actually going - and how easily 'we' seem to be all going with the flow . . . . . . . .for the greater good of course
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gämsbock, it also says to continue to home office where possible. I wonder if employers can force you to come in even though home office works just as well, but senior management doesn't like it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitters, not if you’re vulnerable. Then they’d have to chose between having you work from home and having you off sick. Otherwise I don’t know. We’ve been told that even once the office reopens there will be no requirement to attend, it will be entirely optional. We’ve so many cross-border workers it would be impossible at the moment anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back on topic Very Happy looks like CH is coming out of lockdown earlier than planned. 11th May we'll be able to go to the pub and eat out.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/181572/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, tax depends on your canton, once you factor in health insurance I don't think GE was that much diffferent from the UK.

Tax inspectors paying refunds at your door in cash, however, is quite the thing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike wrote:
Back on topic Very Happy looks like CH is coming out of lockdown earlier than planned. 11th May we'll be able to go to the pub and eat out.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/181572/

I put this English summary on the other thread

Looks like everything will be open for the Summer although I guess no tourists?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Depends what you do but the salaries are pretty decent and the tax is much lower so factor that in too @holidayloverxx,
You have to be very careful with that. I have a couple of friends who were lured to Zürich from Munich by high wages and low taxes and ended up nearly bankrupt. If you want to make the move then make sure you have factored in the total cost of living because it is significantly higher than here in Munich.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Looks like everything will be open for the Summer although I guess no tourists?

A rather important point. A lot of people in this country, judging by my own friends and acquaintances, have written off the idea of "holidays abroad" this summer and are not at all sure they'll even get a holiday in UK this summer.

Personally I'm a lot more bullish, but holidays are all about looking ahead and planning.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh dear had a naughty moment. I scanned BobinCH post and thought heaven how wonderful restaurants to be open with no children and then reread it.....having no children myself and knowing how useless most British parents are at keeping their kids under control (unlike Swiss and Spanish IMHO) such an event would be heaven.

Yet again I realise what sensible country Switzerland is - I constantly think I should have gone to live there when I could have afforded it, was still working and could have got a job there. It may be very expensive but it is sensible and not given to excessive hysteria and let us face it swiss scientists and engineers are amongst the best in the world.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman wrote:
Oh dear had a naughty moment. I scanned BobinCH post and thought heaven how wonderful restaurants to be open with no children and then reread it.....having no children myself and knowing how useless most British parents are at keeping their kids under control (unlike Swiss and Spanish IMHO) such an event would be heaven.

Yet again I realise what sensible country Switzerland is - I constantly think I should have gone to live there when I could have afforded it, was still working and could have got a job there. It may be very expensive but it is sensible and not given to excessive hysteria and let us face it swiss scientists and engineers are amongst the best in the world.

Well said, I live next to Switzerland and I'm jellous of many things.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gämsbock wrote:
Apparently key is that they only see one person at at time and have a record of everyone they have seen so contact tracing is relatively easier compared to random contacts.

That's the important bits.

Had they done that back in February, we wouldn't have needed the lock down. (granted, it's a impossibility as we didn't know there's a virus running loose back then)

It's going to be like that for the rest of the year. Manage the small cases popping up here or there, or have a general lock down. I'm really keen to see which country can manage it well and how. We're in uncharted territory after all. National/cultural differences notwithstanding.
snow conditions
My understanding is that Zermatt are planning to open for skiing at Stage 3 on 08 June. It's never that busy in summer, but many resorts will be following how they go about it
snow report
@under a new name, yes I know - I’ve worked in two (GE and ZH) so far and been resident in ZH for two rounds of tax. For us, it’s all about the deductions- which we get far more of here (childcare, travel, money paid to relatives etc) I got sod all in the UK as a high rate payer. I did some fag packet sums and I would have to earn double the going London salary for my job to equate to what I have in ZH. God knows what it would be if I was in Zug...

@Idris, I agree the Brits are poo-poo at making sure Mabel and Hugo stay under control but the Swiss as a good example? Have you seen a playground? It’s like Lord of the Flies in there
ski holidays
I got an email from Verbier-Val des Bagnes Tourism today (2.5.20) saying they intend to adapt the successful 4 Vallées 'VIP Pass' scheme this summer. The intention is to make it more attractive to those with second homes as well as outside visitors by changing the range of activities while still continuing with the free pedestrian pass for users of the gondolas and PostBus and the 50% discount for VTT riders. So it looks like they are expecting to be able to run a similar setup to the previous couple of summers. If this goes as they would like, I imagine it'll serve as a template for how next winter might be organised, if similar limitations are still in place.
snow conditions
Just went to Hornbach and it was jumping. Despite the 300 people max and repeated reminders to distance on the tanoy it’s not really realistic due to the number of people and width of the aisles. Will be much safer in the mountains Very Happy
snow conditions
@BobinCH, what is it with Hornbach? Ours looked busy when I cycled past
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, I would imagine people have been stuck at home looking at all the jobs they could have done if they could get materials. And now they can.
ski holidays
Only 28 new infections in the last 24 hours. Fingers crossed for phase 2 next week.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Just went to Hornbach and it was jumping. Despite the 300 people max and repeated reminders to distance on the tanoy it’s not really realistic due to the number of people and width of the aisles. Will be much safer in the mountains Very Happy

The parking has always been full the three times I've driven past my local branch these last 10 days or so.
ski holidays
Swiss Hotel, Restaurants Catering Association have this together with the
Federal Government develop protection protocols for the sector.

IT is expected to apply to Lift Company's, Mountain Huts etc.

Point 10 is about Data Protection..

Things are going to be a lot Different from now on Sad Sad Sad

HotellerieSuisse, GastroSuisse und Swiss Catering Association haben die gemeinsam mit dem
Bund erarbeiten Schutzkonzepte für Restaurants und Hotels veröffentlicht.

Schutzkonzept Hotel: https://www.htr.ch/fileadmin/user_uploa ... gemein.pdf

Schutzkonzept Hotel Wellness: https://www.htr.ch/fileadmin/user_uploa ... baeder.pdf

Schutzkonzept Gastgewerbe: https://www.htr.ch/fileadmin/user_uploa ... ewerbe.pdf

Das Schutzkonzept Gastgewerbe wird wahrscheinlich im Sommer auch für das Berggastgewerbe der Seilbahnen
gelten. Was im Winter gilt ist momentan Kaffeesatzlesen vor allem Punkt 10 gibt aktuell
zu reden (Kunden Datenerfassung im Gastgewerbe).

Meanwhile in Engeland Shocked Shocked

Greeks marvel at Britain's Covid chaos as their lockdown lifts after 150 deaths

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths?utm_source=bestforbritain.org&fbclid=IwAR2y0Y-VRN4AtV9T5Qyw-IuqnYexPHzCL2JEPRO44WhG9mIHm-FAbATzy_w

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths?utm_source=bestforbritain.org&fbclid=IwAR2y0Y-VRN4AtV9T5Qyw-IuqnYexPHzCL2JEPRO44WhG9mIHm-FAbATzy_w
latest report
stanton wrote:

Stuff

Or to put it another way, I can go to the pub tomorrow!
latest report
So here's the latest marketing stuff I got in my InBox today (19.5.20), from the Valais Tourist Office in Sion:

https://www.valais.ch/en/home?utm_source=NL-Gaeste-Reisen-Sie-diesen-Sommer-im-Wallis-19.05.2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eNewsletter&bpid=969189403&nlid=1440559045&mid=22651860&chk=2TDSxxS1VF

With links to markets, caves, museums & galleries etc. that are scheduled to open for the summer. Also links to a quite useful set of cycling itineraries. As well as the usual marketing stuff you'd expect (I like the 'Find the Valais black-faced sheep in the photograph' quiz).

And here's the link to the latest pages on the Verbier-Bruson-La Tzoumaz activities this summer, including the VIP Pass.

http://www.verbier.ch/en/activities-fun/summer-fall/verbier-infinite-playground-pass/vip-pass.htm?respp=9
snow report
Our rental agency emailed today to confirm that the Quatre Vallées lifts will be opening on 7th. July and that the clients we have for 3 weeks over July-August have confirmed they're still coming. So the main thing stopping us when we go mid-August will be the transit through France and entry to Switzerland plus, of course, the degree of cover from our travel insurers.
snow conditions
@LaForet,
Quote:

the main thing stopping us when we go mid-August will be the transit through France and entry to Switzerland

What's the issue? The French say no quarantine for those in transit with immediate effect and the CH borders will be open from 15/6.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was just being conservative. Things could change if the Government decides to do another U-turn on the French; if there's a serious flare-up of infections/deaths in the UK; or if the Foreign Office decide to recommend against any foreign travel so we can't get travel insurance; etc.

We also usually like to break our journey en route to Switzerland - we have a hotel booked, but I'm not sure how enjoyable it'll be. And we're both 66, so however low the probability is of contracting the virus, it's not something we would necessarily emerge from unscathed. So we might just do the 8½ hours from Calais all in one go, though we've found it a bit tiring even in the summer.

We'll just have to wait and see.
snow report
Traffic will probably be good though
snow conditions
Sleep in the car.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Sleep in the car.

I'm 66. I do that already while I'm driving. Thanks heavens for the driver assistance options. Worth every penny.
latest report
@Steve Sparks, the French are maintaining a (political) attitude of reciprocal quarantine, and they will enforce it properly.... so if your crime minister maintains his (political) position, you’ll be quarantined.
snow report
@under a new name, not if you're in transit - from the Ministère de L'Intérieur:

"Seront exemptées du dispositif de quarantaine volontaire, sauf si elles présentent des symptômes, les personnes suivantes :
les personnes en transit vers un autre pays "
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy