Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MPI Brokers

Poster: A snowHead
@philwig, @rob@rar, I am hearing talk (pre-pub papers) that it's following "normal" pandemic growth/decay... lockdown has helped quash the surge, but yep, it's here to stay.

I referred elsewhere to the suggestions that OC43 which is one of the common cold viruses caused the "Russian" 'flu pandemic/deaths in 1889 ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, it was just too far for a single journey for us. We couldn't leave until the dogs has been to the vets for their appointment for the passport worm treatments, but this was ideal as there are no communal areas apart from the courtyard parking, and there is no need to meet any other guests. Keys were already on the table in the apartment, they'd opened the locked gates for our arrival, and we phoned them with card details for payment. Breakfast if you want it is normally left in a basket outside the door, but we didn't have it this time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, Where was your stopping point? We're looking to head back next week and trying to decide on whether to do it in one hit or with an overnight. Usually we have an overnight stop which also gives the dog a break from the journey too but our usual place is closed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But IF there is a vaccine ....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sno trax, https://www.hotel-saint-georges-troyes.com/
We booked through Booking.com as we were already en-route when our original hotel cancelled on us, and needed to sort something quickly, but if you've got plenty of time why not book direct? There's plenty of places to walk the dogs too just a short walk away, as well as a small supermarket and boulangerie.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, great, thanks for that. Will take a look. As I said, not sure if we will stop but considering options. The dog usually becomes the prime consideration and she does sometimes limit our options.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you haven't got a property of your own then the situation is quite different. If you are in shared accommodation and another guest becomes symptomatic will you be allowed to go home? Or will you have to quarantine? Or if the group the week before has that issue will your holiday be cancelled at the last moment, possibly while you are en route. Or if France restricts travel to a hotspot or requires that anyone arriving in the country has to quarantine. And none of that is insurable. Hopefully, that will be made clear over the coming weeks and a framework will develop.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@henzerani, there was talk of designated quarantine hotels being put in place. They may even already exist in some places.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
But IF there is a vaccine ....

Quite, good point! And, as we know from the 'flu jab, these things are only about 50% effective if you are lucky. I'm not an epidemiologist (but I can spell it) but I think we need more of us to get it, hopefully in a mild or asymptomatic way. If you remember, our Govt never said they'd stop us from getting it, they just said they didn't want the NHS overwhelmed. So I think the herd immunity policy is actually still running in the background.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, that's interesting. They will have to have some solid arrangement to deal with an outbreak if they are going to let businesses open next season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

So I think the herd immunity policy is actually still running in the background.

well I guess that as the rate of infection is still quite lively in many parts of the company it happens (assuming "immunity" is the outcome of recovering from C-19) regardless of anything the Government thinks of by way of a "policy".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
well I guess that as the rate of infection is still quite lively in many parts of the company it happens (assuming "immunity" is the outcome of recovering from C-19) regardless of anything the Government thinks of by way of a "policy".
It's amazing and to their credit that the government can turn on and off new infections at will, to have a little bit of herd immunity policy here, a little bit of a herd immunity policy there. Wonderful to have such control over nature, red in tooth and claw.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess this thread started about insurance, so here goes....
Last year I paid annual travel insurance with Multitrip costing £40.58 (not including ski insurance). They've now sent me the renewal quote for £125.36 with all the covid caveats. I knew there would be an increase, but.... Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a thought but in the same way as people in beauty spots in the UK are getting very angry with visitors to their areas potentially bringing covid onto their doorsteps and “draining their resources” I think it’s a real possibility that residents of ski villages and towns will become quite anti people visiting their apartments during any recurrence of pandemics, and such feeling may not abate when things improve.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bambionskiis, well, to the extent of the limited conversations I have had in Chamonix, that is totally not the case.

Everyone I know who has a tourism oriented interest wants visitors.

Notably yesterday quite a few bars were busy as they’re terraces were appropriated for the drinking of refreshments acquired from nearby supermarkets. Wouldn’t have known it wasn’t any old sunny afternoon in May
snow report
@lambert, that's an interesting early indicator of how things are going. For me last couple of years MPI had really hiked their price and hence I started looking at alternatives like multitrip/Asda. Will be interesting to see how they match up next time I need to renew. Certainly glad I paid £50 (Family, Europe only) to Asda last December for sure given I've it's only covered a one week ski trip so far! But yet next time round I'm expecting something a bit steeper.
latest report
lambert wrote:
I guess this thread started about insurance, so here goes....
Last year I paid annual travel insurance with Multitrip costing £40.58 (not including ski insurance). They've now sent me the renewal quote for £125.36 with all the covid caveats. I knew there would be an increase, but.... Shocked

I have used MPI as they are very good for those of us with a long list of preexisting medical conditions, much medication, etc. I just dread to think of the loadings for them now; especially if they could be affected by C19 or make its effects worse. Sad If they'll even continue to cover them
latest report
@bambionskiis, it seems to be happening in the usual UK places but the West Country, Norfolk and Wales have always had an 'anti-tourist' lobby. I will be quite happy for people to visit my apartment when it is safe for them to do so.

@under a new name, on the day after lockdown in France, there were quite a few enjoying the bar terrace in the sun, with beers from the Sherpa when we walked past with our dogs. They'd cleared the furniture by the Monday though.
snow conditions
My travel insurance claim through MPI has been refused. I arrived in France on 14/3, with everything being shut down that evening. I had to pay for travel back to the airport and a flight home on 15/3. The underwriters have refused my claim because the MPI policy makes no mention of cover in the case of the Gov closing things down whilst actually on holiday. The response letter from the underwriter very unhelpfully suggested I ask for a refund from my travel provider, but that has nothing to do with my claim for a taxi and flight home as I hadn't booked a package holiday.

Has anyone successfully claimed through MPI in similar circumstances? To be fair, MPI have been very helpful and I understand it is the under writer's decision...but it is still exceptionally frustrating that I don't appear to be covered.
ski holidays
@milzibkit, have you not been able to get a refund for the travel home you had originally planned?
latest report
@milzibkit, complain to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service) (details are in your policy document, normally under complaints). Let MPI know you are doing that. It costs them money if you involve the Ombudsman and it is usually cheaper for them to settle before it gets that far. In any case I think the Ombudsman is likely to find in favour of the customer because the FCA have basically told insurers to be less hard about covid related claims.

By the way - surely you must have realised the music was about to stop by the 14th!
snow report
@milzibkit, I ended leaving France on the 17th of March. At the end of that week I was due to move into a different apartment and extend my stay. But on top of the closures travel restrictions were being introduced so I brought my ferry booking forward and began my drive home. The accomodation provider for the unused apartment provided a paper trail to submit to my insurer (MPI).

So I submitted a claim to MPI. I didn't claim for unused ski passes as these are being refunded by the lift co. I didn't really incur any additional travel expenses to speak of so the claim was purely for unused accommodation. It was initially rejected so I contacted them and asked them to review it. I quickly received a response with an apology and an explanation. As I now understand it the process is as follows: 1, request a refund from the "supplier".

2, If no refund is offered go down the charge back/ section 75 route.

3, If after the above processes have been exhausted without success resubmit the claim to MPI. (I don't think this is time limited after the original claim was lodged.)

So the insurer is the last port of call, not the first. We currently have a credit pending on our Barclaycard.

Good luck.
latest report
Thanks for the responses.

My return flight was rebooked, rather than a completely new booking, so my claim was just for the extra over cost of the new flight (which was a lot more expensive than my original return flight). No refund therefore possible, because I did travel with the airline, just a few days earlier than I was hoping to.

Pruman, I thought it possible the music was about to stop and was reluctant to travel, but the day before when it seemed every other EU country closed their slopes, the French said it would be business as usual for them. So given mine was only a short break, I was hopeful I'd get a few days' skiing. By not travelling I'd have had no chance of getting any money back. I still don't really understand why the French decision was taken on a Saturday evening, when so many people had already committed to travel and it had been reviewed only a day before.

As I said, MPI have been quite helpful so I'm not criticising them, it is the underwriter's decision. I will appeal it and see where it gets me. I thought by posting here others might have been able to suggest a good basis for appeal if they'd already gone through the process themselves. The policy is silent on the precise circumstances and i was keen to put forward a technical argument rather than my appeal essentially saying "that's not fair".

If I get anywhere with it I'll update the thread in case it offers help to anyone else.
snow conditions
Quote:
So the insurer is the last port of call, not the first. We currently have a credit pending on our Barclaycard.
Perhaps their advertising should point out that they are only going to be any use in this type of circumstance when Barclaycard goes bust. So no use at all.

milzibkit wrote:
... As I said, MPI have been quite helpful so I'm not criticising them, it is the underwriter's decision. I will appeal it and see where it gets me. ..
In my non-qualified opinion, that's really not relevant. The contract is between you and the people you paid the money with. It's their responsibility, full stop. And irrespective of their legal small print, they have to be reasonable or it won't stand up to challenge.

--
As far as timing, many suppliers tried playing "chicken" with customers around that time.
They knew they were going to need to cancel, but they avoided doing so until they had no choice, because
they felt that if the customer cancelled, then they (and their insurers if relevant) would be carrying the can.
snow report
Keep trying. MPI are very honest and pragmatic. A different type of claim but when their loss adjustors (I think they now do this in house) rejected my claim they paid me anyway as they considered that decision to be wrong.
snow conditions
@philwig, I perhaps should have said "in this instance"......

It wasn't wasn't a travel "failure". No one was injured or became unwell. So the normal rules of curtailment don't really apply.
snow conditions
@milzibkit, you would need to check your exact policy wording, but perhaps can argue that you are covered under the curtailment clause because your accommodation became "inaccessible". I expect this was written with things like fire, severe water damage, landslide etc in mind, but if you were told you had to leave on 15/3 (as opposed to you deciding to leave early since you could no longer ski) it arguably became inaccessible.
ski holidays
@ecureuil, yes, thanks. That's precisely the argument I intend to use after reading through my policy wording in detail yesterday. We were asked to leave our accommodation, so I think I have a reasonable case. The only concern with this route is that it links back to a set rate per day of payment as a result of curtailment, whereas I'd rather just be given the cost of the transfer and flight home.

I"ll give it a try.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, I'd take being described as 'very honest and pragmatic' - high praise.
snow conditions
A bit worrying about MPI. We’ve forked out over £800 this year on a family policy with them (medical issues bumped price considerably) and were hoping by paying a premium they wouldn’t be “quibblers” especially as we’ve got a ski holiday across the pond coming up. After all the sacrifices I’m in no mood for someone leaving the spirit of fair play and pointing out section... sub section.... clause ...... before stamping “Decline”.
snow report
I have an annual travel insurance policy with MPI and today I received an email from them which contained the following information:

"Great news - Holidays are starting to become a reality again and MPI are pleased to announce that we can help with your plans.

We are increasing our emergency medical cover – even though Coronavirus is still a known pandemic, we are now able to provide cover if you contract the virus whilst overseas, for trips to countries with no FCO warning. Cover includes;
• hospital costs
• ambulance costs
• additional accommodation costs (if you are unable to travel home as originally booked)
• repatriation if it’s medically necessary
Many travel companies are also helping with changing their booking conditions and cancellation scales, which should also help with feeling a little more secure when booking.

Happy holidays!!"

There was also a link to this webpage: https://mpibrokers.com/news-advice/mpi-news/mpi-now-covers-emergency-medical-expenses-if-you-contract-coronavirus-overseas
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I'm afraid that's a load of old snake oil - "if you contract the virus whilst overseas" being the line that stands out to me. If you do contract it overseas (1) how does anyone know where you contracted it? (2) your symptoms won't appear until you get home as there is an incubation period - if it was somehow proven via track and trace that you caught the virus before the trip started and your symptoms arrived during the trip, would you be covered?

In order to cover Coronavirus properly, what they need to be offering is cancellation cover in case you contract the virus at home and cannot go on your trip. That's the bit probably not currently covered either by insurers or tour operator Ts&Cs, so it's the real financial risk. The question I would ask of an insurer is "if I contract Coronavirus, or am told to self isolate because I came into contact with someone with Coronavirus, and cannot go on my trip, am I covered for cancellation?" You may even add "if some others going on my trip are forced to cancel for those reasons and the whole trip cannot go ahead (ie a whole chalet booking), am I covered?"

What that MPI statement is saying is simply what they already do cover and are meant to cover.
snow report
MPI do an awful lot of season insurers for workers and the idle (not) rich like me who spend a season away. So I am reassured that i am covered for medical treatment. I wouldn't be going against FCO advice so the only thing I stand to lose is the cost of the ferry crossing, which is transferable normally.

I know this doesn't work for everybody, bit it's not snake oil to me.
latest report
Quote:

I know this doesn't work for everybody, bit it's not snake oil to me.

+1
latest report
@milzibkit, have you heard anything from MPI? I am in a similar position with travel dates and claim being rejected so have raised a complaint. It's been over 5 weeks and no response other than initial acknowledgement of the claim.

I did receive the promotional email three days ago informing me of the "great news..." that was mentioned above. That left a bit of a sour taste. Appreciate it's a promotional email sent on mass but would have preferred an update on my complaint. Have made contact so will see what comes of it...
ski holidays
No positive update. Ageas (the actual insurers - MPI are just a broker) rejected my claim. I submitted a complaint to them, which they completely ignored util I got hold of their Claims Director's details and contacted him directly. I then got a response, but it was still a rejection of my claim and still referenced irrelevant information and policy items.

I have prepared a submission to the financial ombudsman which I'll hopefully have a chance to submit today.

I don't intend to use Ageas again, so that probably means no MPI again too.
latest report
+1 for having claim rejected and making a submission to financial ombudsman.
snow conditions
Maybe you ought to be able to insure against your insurance company trying to avoid paying out.
ski holidays
Is there any reason not to claim in the small claims court?
I suspect the FOS is going to be snowed under with these claims for months and that might well be the tactic of these insurers
latest report
@milzibkit, whilst I understand Ageas are managing the claim I would have thought MPI would have some interest and hold some sway in it's outcome. That is to say if Ageas are wrong or are being intransigent and this became prevalent and/or widely known it could affect their business. Might be worth asking MPI what their opinion is on the claim. I mean if you made the query before buying what would they say?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy