Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where in Europe now?

Poster: A snowHead
There's a chance I could go at the end of next week for an extra unplanned weekend...anyone know where can I still find good snow in Europe?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens?

Actually, all the good snow will be tracked out by next weekend... snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
meany! Going green
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Valais last weekend, and the snow was superb. Verbier and the 4 valleys still has loads open.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cedric, Just aim high. Very high. You will be fine
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cedric. Whatever you do, check the detailed schedules/timetables of the lift company concerned. Zermatt shuts about 80% of its lifts this weekend.

The Austrian glaciers can certainly be great as one enters May, and they were heavily loaded with snow this past winter. Stubai (near Innsbruck) could be an alternative to Hintertux, depending on where you want to fly to. Or maybe Solden.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm away same weekend & have decided on Tignes, as the snow depths are still very good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
7/7 lifts running
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedric, La Grave is open until 8th May - you'd love it if you haven't already been, but should join a guided group. High snow was very good last week. Otherwise - get yourself up to Val T!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cedric, looking into a couple of days of touring next weekend after Val Thorens, possibly around Sainte Foy, with snowcrazy, BernardC, possibly ise, and some non-snowHeads... refuge job...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Came back from Flaine on Sunday, plenty of skiing above mid-stations but resort now in its last week
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Espace Killy- plenty of snow- but rain this am in Val-
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am off to Hintertux on Monday and according to snow-forecast it will be snowing everyday with 0 degree level down to 1200m. I shall report back on conditions, but it sounds like it could be very good still out there.
latest report
Ray Zorro, Have fun - look forward to the report. Very Happy
snow report
Ray Zorro, wow! Have a great time, I'll be checking out the webcams Very Happy
ski holidays
Ray Zorro,
Some friends of mine are in Mayrhofen as we speak..... due back wed but I haven't heard about the skiing yet...no doubt I will...!!!!
snow conditions
Off to Zermatt this weekend - June! The madness of it all!. Snow report online doesn't look too encouraging - a grand total of 2 runs open last time I checked. Will let you all know how it goes...
ski holidays
Back from Zermatt last weekend.....GORGEOUS

The place was deserted (see 2nd pic!!) apart from some swiss junior race team, my mates and a bunch of tourists taking pictures of the matterhorn (guilty, 3rd pic). Unfortunately as mentioned before lot of lifts do shut during summer for repairs/staff holidays but for 2 days we weren't too bored and you can still cheekily ride the cable (O3 if you have a piste map handy) to the top and ski the uncontrolled pistes. Snow was as I like it - hard bordering icy, and very predictable. As all the skiing is over 2939m no probs with snow and it was actually snowing before we arrived and again on our last day. Weather was fantastic. Thoroughly recommended.

ski holidays
Terrific pics - thanks. Without the intrusive snowcannon poles in no 3, it would be a classic calendar shot - but maybe still good enough for next year's snowHeads calendar ???
snow conditions
kuwait_ian wrote:
Terrific pics - thanks. Without the intrusive snowcannon poles in no 3, it would be a classic calendar shot - but maybe still good enough for next year's snowHeads calendar ???

Yeah I know, nearly cried when I saw it on review....

Have another without pole taken the following day but the Matterhorn is mostly obstructed by cloud. Then again I was having so much fun actually skiing its a wonder I got any pics in at all Little Angel
snow report
Does this help ?
snow report
I am going on the BUSC Summer session in tignes on the 1st of July. Its only £285 + flights. Tried to Price up Hintertux but couldn't really match tignes for value for money.
latest report
lampbus wrote:
Does this help ?

be careful with some of these shots in the calendar. I have run into some copyright and trademark issues with photography of such objects. To give you two examples:

i) a photograph of the Hotel Lindar in Flaine - the design is owned by the estate of Marcel Breuer and in France it is not permitted to take photographs of private buildings for anything other than strictly personal use even if you are on public land without getting a release.
ii) a photograph of a cable car that I took - I needed a release from both the owner of the cable car and the cable car maker for its use in a magazine

You may find that the cabin design is both copyright and trademarked by the lift maker and cannot be used for anything other than personal use. You may also need a release from Zermatt for commercial photography on their slopes. Hard to believe I know but knowing the Swiss I wouldn't be surprised if even the Matterhorn had a trademark on it!
snow conditions
davidof, interesting. I don't think IP law has caught up with the digital age!
latest report
Err whoops. Didn't really consider that as they were just holiday snaps I thought other snowheads might have been interested in - never intended to embroil myself in the murky world of copyright theft...

Sorry Bergbahn Matterhorn AG, and whoever owns the rights to the Matterhorn......!?
ski holidays
alecl wrote:
Err whoops. Didn't really consider that as they were just holiday snaps I thought other snowheads might have been interested in - never intended to embroil myself in the murky world of copyright theft...

Sorry Bergbahn Matterhorn AG, and whoever owns the rights to the Matterhorn......!?

It is only if you want to sell them for profit that there may be an issue - as in the SnowHeads calendar or elsewhere. I was as surprised as anyone to find you can't just take a photographs of some object.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i) a photograph of the Hotel Lindar in Flaine - the design is owned by the estate of Marcel Breuer and in France it is not permitted to take photographs of private buildings for anything other than strictly personal use even if you are on public land without getting a release.

Is this legal? I thought any pictures taken in public cannot be restricted. It's not called "public" for nothing!
latest report
Quote:

Is this legal? I thought any pictures taken in public cannot be restricted.
I know that night-time pictures of the Eiffel Tower can't be used commercially now because of the recent lighting effects (which aren't part of the building so are protected by copyright). Daytime pictures are still OK but this is possibly because copyright has lapsed due to the age of the building.

If the hotel is only a part of the photo (and there was some other significant subject in the frame) I expect you'd be OK.

You'd have no problem taking (and exploiting) a picture of a building in England and Wales so fill the calendar with exterior shots of the various snowdomes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy