Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe we could have a sweepstake on the date when the money will run out?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the rocks wrote:

I'm in.

Closing day in Espace Killy 2021/22 season- so second week in May 2022.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting to read on Farcebook that David Goldsmith rejoined SCGB yesterday, early enough that he got access to the AGM details but not so early that they realised before he joined the call.

Inevitably, the technology failed a few minutes after he’d joined the meeting, despite apparently working flawlessly for others.

I wonder who was the appointed guard dog? Gerry?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ousekjarr, sounds fkn hilarious Smile Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the rocks wrote:

I wonder if there's an online platform which could mediate that? (If there isn't, perhaps there's a business opportunity.)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If Davina stumps up in the way he has for SH, maybe it'll never run out Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:
See also this thread, where Nemesis has reported that Ski Club Winter Arrangements Ltd (the SCGB ski holiday subsidiary) have not yet been granted a renewal of their ATOL licence!

It's not a scandal (for once). They've gone with ABTOT instead, another way of giving customers financial protection and be legally compliant without having to stump up for a bond. A sensible move given the lowly number of trips likely to be sold. https://www.abtot.com/

AGM shenanigans sounds fun. Really can't see the problem with Goldsmith being a member. When he got ejected the main issue was his rubbing people up the wrong way in the chat room (sometimes quite rightly). Well the chat room is just an echo chamber these days so where's the issue? No doubt the club's self-appointed Stasi will insist on reversing his application.

I've not yet had the low down on what was discussed but a miracle is required to make the club relevant in my view. I give it another few years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AGM high/lowlights? Lots of restless natives and squirming "we've turned a corner" posturing with a heavy dose of "let's move on" from the board I'd guess?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

"we've turned a corner

When seen from the right angle, the edge of a cliff is also a corner, and once you've turned it, you will move on quite rapidly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I'm in.

I’m more pessimistic. September 2021. By then lack of subscription renewal will be evident and insufficient funds/credit to arrange the Freshtracks programme . Very sad as I’ve enjoyed many Freshtracks holidays in the past.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to go with March 2021 as lockdown eases, when the French police arrest the first volunteer rep for working in France without the work permit required by non-EU citizens, and the SCGB discover that they can't fund the projected legal fees to defend the case.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pruman wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
See also this thread, where Nemesis has reported that Ski Club Winter Arrangements Ltd (the SCGB ski holiday subsidiary) have not yet been granted a renewal of their ATOL licence!

It's not a scandal (for once). They've gone with ABTOT instead, another way of giving customers financial protection and be legally compliant without having to stump up for a bond. A sensible move given the lowly number of trips likely to be sold. https://www.abtot.com/

Not sure if this is a positive step. ABTOT still appears to have some form of bonding arrangement. The real test is how they handle claims. They are currently dealing with the VIP Ski administration, where their preliminary advice appears to be:
- if your holiday involves a flight, contact the CAA for ATOL protection (presumably via the airline?)
- if you booked through an agent, contact them
- if you booked direct and paid by card, contact your card issuer
- otherwise (= no flight, booked direct, paid by cash/cheque/bank transfer, i.e. perhaps hardly anyone!) you can make a claim to ABTOT. (Oh, and it may take us 6 months to process it...)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks wrote:
ed123 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I'm in.

I’m more pessimistic. September 2021. By then lack of subscription renewal will be evident and insufficient funds/credit to arrange the Freshtracks programme . Very sad as I’ve enjoyed many Freshtracks holidays in the past.

March 24th 2022. Enough time after the point of no return for all the reps and good chaps/chapesses to have a jolly good all expenses paid knees up trip as celebration of the SCGB's "legacy" and spend remaining kitty before unfortunate winding up/default on leases. Getting done before the quarter rent day
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
On the rocks wrote:
ed123 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I'm in.

March 24th 2022. Enough time after the point of no return for all the reps and good chaps/chapesses to have a jolly good all expenses paid knees up trip as celebration of the SCGB's "legacy" and spend remaining kitty before unfortunate winding up/default on leases. Getting done before the quarter rent day

Cunning logic- but still- I see your 24th March 2022 and raise you 50p.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
Interesting to read on Farcebook that David Goldsmith rejoined SCGB yesterday, early enough that he got access to the AGM details but not so early that they realised before he joined the call.

Inevitably, the technology failed a few minutes after he’d joined the meeting, despite apparently working flawlessly for others.

Laughing The guy is a genuine fruit loop.
snow conditions
Dav wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

Definitely something pathological going on.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
Dav wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

Definitely something pathological going on.

There were 2 names mentioned in the original quote, I didn't think it was clear as to who was being referred to as the fruit loop?
ski holidays
@ster, Goldsmith has repeatedly tried to rejoin probably about six times now. Each time he has had his application rejected. He's also claimed repeatedly over the last 7yrs that he is still a member. Yeah he's a fruit loop, imo.
ski holidays
He is also curiously wondering why BASI are selling their Grantown HQ. Cant see why it is his business.
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
He is also curiously wondering why BASI are selling their Grantown HQ. Cant see why it is his business.

The answer to thar question is pretty obvious, they are skint
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Well, he sees himself as a snowsports journalist and was a BASI member but I'm guessing he fell out with them at some point in the past as well. He did of course blag his way into BASI's 50th birthday dinner on the pretext of being a journalists but there's never been any evidence that he published an article about it in the recognised media.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, Exactly, that is why they would sell it. Happy
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:

Yes, I rejoined the SCGB on Thursday, with "Payment Receipt" email received.
Yes, I was admitted to the Club's 2020 annual general meeting.
According to the 2020 annual report (reporting the membership number last April) I joined 22,146 others. But the hard truth is that the SCGB's membership has fallen each and every year since 2010 - from 33,062.

HERE ARE SOME BALD REALITIES:

11,000 SCGB members have gone, over 10 years. The freehold clubhouse HQ has been sold ... the accumulated financial losses over the past 2 years have been c.£2m, and we are now halfway through the 2020-21 financial year.
In modern times - the past quarter-century - the SCGB's membership has been around 2% of the British ski population (was c.30% in the early 1960s). The SCGB demographic is now 66% 'over 45'.

The SCGB was declaring its student membership (the Line-S division) as "20,000" last May. The subscription rate for student membership was £20. Strangely, there is no mention of the student membership in the 2020 annual report. What has happened to these 20,000 student members?

Given that statistic, the official data for SCGB members aged between 24 and 44 is 10.5% - utterly hopeless for that key demographic. The membership is literally dying out, year after year.

Way back in the 1980s, we (a team editing and producing the SCGB's magazine) recognised the membership/demographic problem (which was already worrying that long ago) and saw to it that the magazine's newstand sales could independently reach a sensible level. Those were boosted over the years to around 12,000 copies per issue (sold at cover price) by the early 1990s. Today those sales are zero.

GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Well, not really. I simply reported the sale as relevant news to a ski club that includes many BASI members:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/2846114985491370

THIS GARBAGE ...

Gerry wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Well, he sees himself as a snowsports journalist and was a BASI member but I'm guessing he fell out with them at some point in the past as well. He did of course blag his way into BASI's 50th birthday dinner on the pretext of being a journalists but there's never been any evidence that he published an article about it in the recognised media.

... WAS WRITTEN BY A DIRECTOR OF THE SKI CLUB OF GB, Gerry Aitken, exacerbating the multiple libels committed over 20 years - to me and many others on this forum.

For the record, the 50th anniversary lunch of BASI was (obviously, given the location and security) by invitation. And I was the only journalist present who reported it, in 2 media:

1. http://forum.winterhighland.info/read.php?2,152284
2. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2206505

Because of Gerry Aitken's countless offences over 20 years the SCGB is currently under a Subject Access Request and legally obliged to give up specified data files.
You'd think the guy would pack it in ... at least for the moment ... but clearly the message hasn't sunk in yet.
snow report

ski holidays

Gerry did say "recognized media" so he's probably in the clear there.
latest report
Davina Goldballs wrote:
You'd think I'd pack it in ... at least for the moment ... but clearly the message hasn't sunk in yet.

FIFY Very Happy
snow report
What happened to the Ski Club pub?
latest report
[quote="Davina Goldballs"][quote="ousekjarr"]

Way back in the 1980s, we (a team editing and producing the SCGB's magazine) recognised the membership/demographic problem (which was already worrying that long ago) and saw to it that the magazine's newstand sales could independently reach a sensible level. Those were boosted over the years to around 12,000 copies per issue (sold at cover price) by the early 1990s. Today those sales are zero.”

Given the recent closure of Powder Magazine, do you think the SCGB magazine is a realistic viable economic proposition and if so why ?

Disclosure- yep I’m a member of the Klub, a member here and I go skiing, and I did subscribe to Powder Magazine. My views are my own blah blah.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

https://www.thewhitehaus.co.uk/

Believe it was quite successful relative to Covid. Are you looking for a ski related boozer or ?
latest report
davidof wrote:

Gerry did say "recognized media" so he's probably in the clear there.

Goldsmith was asked at the event by the then Chair of the Ski Club where the article about the dinner would be published but he was all coy about it and wouldn't say. He would've been laughed at if he'd come out with that. Can anyone imagine BASI drawing up a guests list and someone saying 'Hmm, we need a renowned snowsports journalist at this event to cover it, any suggestions?' and then Goldsmith's name coming up? I'd expect the sun would have burned out long before they thought of inviting him to fulfill that role.

Dave, you've used up your last hand grenade and it went off with a fizzle and a small puff of smoke but that's about it. Are you looking forward to reading the resignation letter you sent in 2013? I'll dig it out and put it in here for you, if you like? It's a great read and really sums up the ridiculous, self-aggrandising, pomposity that is you.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 22-11-20 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Gerry wrote:
the reignition letter you sent in 2013

Will that have more than a fizzle? Laughing
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
Gerry wrote:
the reignition letter you sent in 2013

Will that have more than a fizzle? Laughing

Is it like one of those trick candles that you blow out and it reignites? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
davidof wrote:

It closed, along with all other hospitality venues last March. This autumn it announced "mid-November" reopening. The new lockdown put paid to that. The White Haus website now says "early December".
It's almost bang-opposite a brand new £1bn European HQ of Goldman Sachs - big enough to contain 10,000 workers - which could/would have generated guaranteed business for what's actually a very cute 21st century pub with good food ... but of course Covid's turned the whole City of London into a ghost town.

mishmash wrote:

Given the recent closure of Powder Magazine, do you think the SCGB magazine is a realistic viable economic proposition and if so why ?
Disclosure- yep I’m a member of the Klub, a member here and I go skiing, and I did subscribe to Powder Magazine. My views are my own blah blah.

It's around 25 years since I worked intensively on the SCGB magazine - i.e. pre-internet. I should think that magazine advertising is now extremely difficult to win in any specialised markets. Since skiers have turned to online media and the SCGB demographic is so weighted to late-middle-aged to elderly, the Club would need a very low expectation of that income. The Club's cut back the print editions from 5-per-season to 2-per-season. Draw your own conclusions, but as long as there are skiers out there, there will be media they're attracted to (such as this site. The ski club on Facebook I'm currently writing for is currently growing its membership several % per annum.

Gerry wrote:

Goldsmith was asked at the event [BASI 50th anniversary lunch, House of Commons] by the then Chair of the Ski Club where the article about the dinner would be published

No he wasn't.

Gerry wrote:
but he was all coy about it and wouldn't say

No he wasn't. The conversation never happened.

Gerry wrote:
Can anyone imagine BASI drawing up a guests list and someone saying 'Hmm, we need a renowned snowsports journalist at this event to cover it, any suggestions?' and then Goldsmith's name coming up?

Another inference that I "blagged" entry to the event. Obviously, given the profile of the occasion, a printed official BASI invitation from BASI arrived in the post. All guests went through House of Commons security - the airport-style installation outside the building - to gain entry.

Gerry wrote:
I'd expect the sun would have burned out long before they thought of inviting him to fulfill that role.

It's possible that BASI had no motivation of generating publicity. At least 3 other ski writers attended the event and didn't publish a word about it. Actually, the fact that Sir Steve Redgrave (then BASI president) was present made it thoroughly news-worthy and there were several insightful speeches.

Gerry wrote:
Are you looking forward to reading the resignation letter you sent in 2013?

I can hardly contain my excitement.
Why not do it justice - publish it, with illustrations, in Gerry Aitken's Bumper Book of Christmas Fairy Tales.
snow report
It seems like we sHs looking on at this DG and Gerry verbal ping pong thread will have to stock up again on essential supplies....

ski holidays
Can you bear the suspense before DG can post again?
snow report
@Marksky, It's difficult to contain the suspense isn't it? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:

Gerry wrote:
Are you looking forward to reading the resignation letter you sent in 2013?

I can hardly contain my excitement.
Why not do it justice - publish it, with illustrations, in Gerry Aitken's Bumper Book of Christmas Fairy Tales.

Still claiming you wrote no such thing then? Well, you did.

Obviously you blagged a ticket in advance for the BASI party on the pretext that you were going to write and publish an article about it. Where did you tell them you were going to publish it? Or are you claiming to be so well known that it was only right and proper that BASI invite you? Of course you also tried to blag your way into a Ski Club AGM a couple of years ago, again under the pretext of being a journalist.
ski holidays
I'm a bit confused @Gerry. On 21st May 2017 on another thread (are they really still arguing?) the following exchange took place:

Davina Goldballs said:

Quote:
On 'expelling' me in 2013 (without reference to the SCGB rules on a two-thirds quorum of Council and the requirement that I be allowed to represent myself at the Council meeting) the SCGB also threatened me with legal action. The Club later offered me a half-price membership, and then a free backpack with membership, so naturally I rejoined. But no subscription has been collected, despite requesting my full bank details etc. It all makes perfect sense.

Gerry replied:

Quote:
It was all handled in accordance with the latest Club Memorandum and Articles. Of course you refused to accept these M&As and demanded that things be handled under the old rules, which did indeed allow you to represent yourself in person. Your request/childish demand was, of course, rejected. The Club made sure that the whole procedure was handle to the letter of the law and legal advice was even taken so you would have no hope of going to court over it, which you were making veiled threats about as per usual.

Anyway, out you went. The Exec. then decided to ignore best advice and thought it would be a spiffingly wonderful idea to keep you on as a registered user. Due to this incompetence you, along with all other registered users, were sent an email inviting you to join. You applied but your application was rejected by the membership department. Lesson learned by the Club? No and they kept you on as a registered user only for another invite to be emailed to you a year later.

You next attempted to rejoin via the Ski Club stand at one of the ski shows. Of course you failed to mention that you'd been excluded and your application was rejected again a few days later when you were red flagged by the membership department, but you were told to keep the free rucksack. At another ski show you tried the same trick with the same result and were told to keep the second rucksack.

All through that you had also been attempting to gain entry to AGMs by claiming to be a print journalist on an assignment. Obsessed much?

You're an oddball, David, that's your problem.

So, in your own words, he was in fact ousted then, clearly not a resignation in the strictest terms. Why would you take legal advice over ousting someone if they had in fact resigned? And he was clearly invited to join after having been ejected. ‘Resignation’ is a bit of a moot point anyway as he was in the process of being ejected and in a way that absolutely and clearly contravened the Club procedures as he signed up to them – why should anyone have to lie down and agree to new rules when it’s such an obvious stitch up? Pisteoff, someone who got way more votes than you Gerry when elected, probably has a view on that too. All he did was not give you the pleasure of administering the actual execution. At certain points you have told anyone who cares to listen that he was thrown out, barred, kicked out etc and then you go on to publicly call him a liar just because the word ‘resignation’ was used. Hopefully even you can spot the issue there.

So Goldsmith has now served the Club with a Subject Access Request and that’s all down to you. SARs are great fun – not. Hope the Club bills you for the considerable management time.
latest report
@Pruman he claims not to have written a resignation letter but he did and that’s the argument.

Btw, how is that vacuum cleaner going? Still putting a smile on Mrs P’s face?
latest report
Gerry wrote:
@Pruman he claims not to have written a resignation letter but he did and that’s the argument.

Btw, how is that vacuum cleaner going? Still putting a smile on Mrs P’s face?

What a great guy?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy