Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
andy wrote:
On a similar misuse of words note, perhaps the club is on the verge of a meteoric rise Wink
aka fall that is spectacular Wink

Laughing

Or to use the phrase uttered by Boris Johnson perhaps the club are on course for a "Titanic success"..... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

perhaps the club is on the verge of a meteoric rise

With their focus on “The Ski Cl*b”, they seem to have (sadly) decided to downplay the “GB” element of their name. It could mean they’re going global!!

Perhaps they’ve made @Admin an offer he couldn’t refuse and joined forces to use this forum as a launching pad to export their angelic talents to the world?

Given the rocky history, they’d need a compromise candidate to run the new global operation. I think we know who that could be Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got invited to an event in London tonight in conjunction with Meribel.

But only today, sort of a but short notice really.

And I'm not a member anymore!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

short notice really.

Not for the plebs then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well they did say that the New Club isn't for everyone... maybe they meant just those still on their mailing list.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

short notice really.

Not for the plebs then?

You wouldn’t feel happy in it wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the below vid of the Ski Club Zoom meeting in May, let's call it A Quantum of Boorish, is a fascinating insight, if you happen to have a spare 2 hours that is. If you do suffer the full duration you'll understand why this dinosaur is plummeting down the abyss. Gerry even speaks but keeps camera off and spares us a view into his lair.

http://youtube.com/v/vrmZgIjHLDQ

pisteoff wrote:
@Pruman, Thanks.
Quote:

That IS leading isn't it?
Yes. Which is the nub of the unresolved paradox........... I have stopped resort leading because of this.  ... and worse still the club won't provide legal cover for you  ... etc etc

So, we are not mad, it definitely fits the description of leading (ie in most cases, breaking the law in a foreign country) and anyone considering being a rep is certifiably insane in my view. Amazing then that, as of that video in May, 30 people appear to have signed up for the Rep's course! Training for a job that could land them in jail, with knock on effects for their wealth, careers and sanity - how utterly blind is that? Just for a bit of 'status' and some subsidised skiing.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Obfuscation of real financial performance

Yes, that's what it looks like and I really like the word obfuscation. As the old saying goes "The value of your investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed at any time." The £300k profit is therefore artificial, only real if assets are turned into cash, just a quantum of spaffing (see what I did there?)

If they can't turn a real operating profit while collecting full subs and giving virtually nothing back in return, then they may as well pack up now. Overstaffed and underperforming. 

Alastair Pink wrote:
@ousekjarr, having to amend the official address four times in the course of two days does appear a bit shambolic.

Should have given the job to Trademark Tony? Oh no wait........

philwig wrote:
Has anyone noticed the significant changes they've made to address that longstanding year-on-year problem?

No. It's blinkers on, tally ho. The new GM has been in post for 4 months. OK, he takes instructions from Council, but you would expect to see someone of his supposed credentials to be making a difference and I can't see any. 

It costs a lot of money to acquire a new Member. If they added up the cost of attending The National Snow Show, divided by the number of sign-ups, I think they'd be quiety horrified at the overall cost per acquisition. The problem is that the trickle of new sign-ups is almost certainly dwarfed by the attrition. The downward graph of the last 5 years won't suddenly turn back up, it's a trend, it'll require huge spending (and exactly the right incentives) just to flatten it out and hope for an upturn in a few years.  

At the moment, the Membership offering is frankly unattractive yet they plough on with it unchanged, feigning enthusiasm. When Council Members apply, they write lavish biogs telling us how amazing they are yet, when it comes down to it, they can't do it. 

Most eventualities are survivable because they have reserves. But the whole Rep thing, the elephant on the piste, has the potential to be club ending as it stands right now.

dunc999 wrote:
I got invited to an event in London tonight in conjunction with Meribel.

But only today, sort of a but short notice really.

And I'm not a member anymore!!

Sounds fairly typical. Did anyone show up for the Dan Egan evening? Started off at £27.50 a ticket and then, I'm told, was given away to try and fill seats. 
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

short notice really.

Not for the plebs then?

You wouldn’t feel happy in it wink

I’m sure the hosts would make sure of that; especially as my guest would (hopefully) be a certain DG. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Gerry even speaks …

Out of which orifice?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AL9000, He only has one!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shouldn't they be rebranding as Ski Club of UK, as per vehicle nationality plates? Perhaps SH should register this. Apologies if someone has mentioned this before.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Perhaps SH should register this.

I don’t think “SH” (TM) are that intelligent and entrepreneurially gifted to have thought of something so fabulously unethical. Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Quantum Reps

Very good, I had to think about that for a second or so. Perhaps "Schrödinger's Reps" would be even better. Toofy Grin

Long been fascinated by what I see as the misuse of 'quantum' in the term quantum leap. As Wikipedia points out, in physics, a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity (physical property) involved in an interaction. As an example a photon is the smallest quantity of light. So a quantum leap does not seem a big deal. In the case of the reps, maybe that is what DotM was getting at, though.

If it's of any Solace to you, Daniel Craig misused it as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pruman, If they can't turn a real operating profit while collecting full subs and giving virtually nothing back in return, then they may as well pack up now. Overstaffed and underperforming.

16,000 subs just about covers 21 salaries, so never any prospect of a real operating profit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shouldn't be covering salaries from subs old boy.
That's what furlough is for.
snow report
195062 wrote:
Shouldn't they be rebranding as Ski Club of UK, as per vehicle nationality plates?

Well the designation SCUK was used by the Snowboard Club UK, but if you see this thread then it seems that club is now defunct, but I don't know whether any trademarks or urls owned by that club (if they ever did) are now available. However it's worthwhile noting that https://www.scuk.co.uk/ is already taken (by the Somerset Carnivals!)
snow conditions
@Pruman, I went to the Dan Egan talk... about 20 people attending I think... chairs for 40. Interesting talk, and a perspective on how some aspects of the 'ski industry' have changed over the years.... left feeling that a fair chunk of the 'adventure' has been lost, at least for those working in the industry.
White Haus seems to be the default venue.... at least the bar-man was more on the ball than the last time I went.
will be interesting to see how the AGM goes this year....
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
195062 wrote:
Shouldn't they be rebranding as Ski Club of UK, as per vehicle nationality plates?

Well the designation SCUK was used by the Snowboard Club UK..

They’d better act fast before some entrepreneurial little snauzer starts sniffing around (and completely misses the online presence of the Sk! Cl&b!)

https://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/events.php
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:

Well the designation SCUK was used by the Snowboard Club UK, but if you see this thread then it seems that club is now defunct, but I don't know whether any trademarks or urls owned by that club (if they ever did) are now available. However it's worthwhile noting that https://www.scuk.co.uk/ is already taken (by the Somerset Carnivals!)

The SCUK forum url was snowboardclub.co.uk - this redirects to https://actionsports.club/ where there is a list of domains owned by the site owners that are apparently for sale.
ski holidays
pisteoff wrote:
Think SCGB needs to sort this out (please), and no I wouldn't rep and resort lead without this sorted.

BOMBSHELL ALERT. Whether or not there are insured and supported Reps performing various functions in the alps this season could be moot. In the Council minutes from September it states:

Quote:
Reps visas: JG confirmed the requirement for Reps to have working visas. OB is investigating
ways to apply for them in bulk with a report at the next Council meeting.

The next Council meeting is this month. I just checked France and the advice from the French Govt is that you should allow three months to get a working visa (if successful that is). I think in some countries you have to turn up in person (Austria?). Can you imaging the Italians being swift about it? 'Bulk working visas' sounds a bit ambitious to me, if even possible, bearing in mind the number of reps and the number of countries. By my reckoning they should have thought about this and got busy in the spring/summer. Reporting back to a Council meeting in November and then starting application processes must surely be too late for any trip pre February? Game over.

This forum, me especially Laughing , have been banging on about this issue for ages (check posts from 18th May). Now, finally, they have that "uh oh!" feeling but probably too late.

hamilton wrote:
@Pruman, I went to the Dan Egan talk... about 20 people attending I think... chairs for 40. Interesting talk, and a perspective on how some aspects of the 'ski industry' have changed over the years.... left feeling that a fair chunk of the 'adventure' has been lost, at least for those working in the industry.
White Haus seems to be the default venue.... at least the bar-man was more on the ball than the last time I went.
will be interesting to see how the AGM goes this year....

You're a rarity, we should have you stuffed as Basil Fawlty would say. 20 is pretty pathetic for a national ski club no?

I'm old enough to confirm that skiing was much more of an adventure back in the 70s and 80s. It's all a bit sanitised now.
ski holidays
@Pruman, I thought that an EU working visa required an EU company to offer you a job after them having applied for a work permit. Who are the reps supposed to be working for?
latest report
Pruman wrote:
pisteoff wrote:
Think SCGB needs to sort this out (please), and no I wouldn't rep and resort lead without this sorted.

BOMBSHELL ALERT. Whether or not there are insured and supported Reps performing various functions in the alps this season could be moot. In the Council minutes from September it states:

Quote:
Reps visas: JG confirmed the requirement for Reps to have working visas. OB is investigating
ways to apply for them in bulk with a report at the next Council meeting.

The next Council meeting is this month. I just checked France and the advice from the French Govt is that you should allow three months to get a working visa (if successful that is). I think in some countries you have to turn up in person (Austria?). Can you imaging the Italians being swift about it? 'Bulk working visas' sounds a bit ambitious to me, if even possible, bearing in mind the number of reps and the number of countries. By my reckoning they should have thought about this and got busy in the spring/summer. Reporting back to a Council meeting in November and then starting application processes must surely be too late for any trip pre February? Game over.

This forum, me especially Laughing , have been banging on about this issue for ages (check posts from 18th May). Now, finally, they have that "uh oh!" feeling but probably too late.

Brilliant - you'd think it would have been something they could have addressed during the fallow year. Probably went in the denial folder Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm old enough to confirm that skiing was much more of an adventure back in the 70s and 80s. It's all a bit sanitised now.

That's what Montgomery said...
snow conditions
Well spotted - but this one is not of SCGB's own making, perhaps they have found a solution. If they do, that is thumbs up for the new leadership. I have now found the accounts for 20/21 (strangely not under the button marked accounts) and though a sad reflection of historical nonsense, and some additional heavy spends, they do imply things have now got a degree of control. The worrying underlying issue is membership loss - did I read right that £460k of covid related cancellations? That implies a big hit on membership, will some of that bounce back post covid?
Still (operational) Loss making, but a massive reduction in overhead (now they have moved). So a base to build from perhaps? We can assume 21/22 will be very challenging and with heavy property costs to absorb - £50k of dilapidations ? (already provided for) and £150k ? to break out of lease - and it will be very difficult to run Freshtracks at breakeven or better given covid impacts.
What it does mean sadly is we can expect the short term focus will remain operating a holiday company in a (very) difficult environment, not providing a member / club service, which makes reversing membership decline even more challenging. I don't envy the very challenging starting point Angus will inherit (as Chair elect) - but SCGB does have a unique and fantastic history and support base, something to build from.
latest report
Austria are going to make some visas available for non EU citizens this winter due to a desperate labour shortage. Maybe a bit of salvation for the akeeb?
snow report
pisteoff wrote:
Well spotted - but this one is not of SCGB's own making, perhaps they have found a solution. If they do, that is thumbs up for the new leadership.

Well I agree that the SCGB are not solely responsible for Brexit BUT for how long have they known about this issue? UK left the EU 10 months ago. This was surely a red flag, urgent and on the critical path in January, never mind now. 
As it stands, if you see an SCGB Rep 'repping' when you are in Tignes in a month's time, they are almost certainly breaking the law. In other words 'an illegal'.

rjs wrote:
@Pruman, I thought that an EU working visa required an EU company to offer you a job after them having applied for a work permit. Who are the reps supposed to be working for?

There is that if you wanted to work for an EU company but I think they would technically be Posted Workers but let's face it, whatever the status, it's unlikely to be quick enough. 

pisteoff wrote:
What it does mean sadly is we can expect the short term focus will remain operating a holiday company in a (very) difficult environment, not providing a member / club service

In which case why charge subs? If they don't provide the services outlined in the membership offering, aren't they in breach of contract?

pisteoff wrote:
I don't envy the very challenging starting point Angus will inherit (as Chair elect) - but SCGB does have a unique and fantastic history and support base, something to build from.

It's 2021, someone can come along at any time with a better club concept and eat your lunch. Loyalty is so last century, and that support base is leaving in droves. History? Sir Arnold Lunn may have done a few things but since the likes of him I'm struggling to think of much. 

davidof wrote:
Austria are going to make some visas available for non EU citizens this winter due to a desperate labour shortage. Maybe a bit of salvation for the akeeb?

A bit maybe but majority of trips are to France. And, again, how long for a work visa? 

Finally, today's newsletter got me really revved up for the season:
Quote:
The clocks have gone back and the evenings are dark, meaning winter is just around the corner. The Ski Club's incredible range of discounts are on hand to help welcome you back to winter this season.
If you are pulling boots, skis and boards out of the attic or garage, only to find them eaten by mice or mould throughout lockdown, do not panic! Check out our range of discounts with equipment providers to help our Ski Club members look good and ski good this winter.

So, aside from the usual bleedin' obvious seasonal observations, apparently mice now eat skis. Who writes this garbage? 
snow conditions
Give em a break on the clumsy copywriting - I've had boot liners chewed by mice in the garage before I became less careless.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:

davidof wrote:

A bit maybe but majority of trips are to France. And, again, how long for a work visa?  

No idea for the Austria thing, it was specifically aimed at workers for the ski industry this winter but probably more for hotel/bar staff and ski instructors.

It always takes my co. months to get visas sorted in France, that is for 1 year work visas and they do it all the time so must know the ropes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pruman wrote:
rjs wrote:

There is that if you wanted to work for an EU company but I think they would technically be Posted Workers but let's face it, whatever the status, it's unlikely to be quick enough. ...

I don't think they can be Posted Workers now that we are no longer in the EU. So tend to agree with @rjs, they would need an EU employer.
snow report
One for Gerry?
ski holidays
@pisteoff, we don’t need working visas and that’s been confirmed by all but the Italians. Admin will need one for the bash es though, unless he’s an EU citizen like I am. I hope he’s got it sorted or he’ll be breaking the law and could face, arrest, prosecution and deportation.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
@pisteoff, we don’t need working visas and that’s been confirmed by all but the Italians. Admin will need one for the bash es though, unless he’s an EU citizen like I am. I hope he’s got it sorted or he’ll be breaking the law and could face, arrest, prosecution and deportation.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just can’t help himself. What a tw@t
snow report
So that's Gerry Aitken, SCGB Director and hardest possible Brexiteer who agitated in self interest for the hardest possible Brexit to keep foreigners out so he could face less wage competition.

Who then hypocritically then applied for an Irish passport and is now gloating about it in the face of the damage it has caused to the UK ski industry and British skiers.

And he is considered a fit and proper person to be on the SCGB board? I think I'll laugh my rocks off when SCGB goes down the drain mainly because it will cause him pain.
ski holidays
It must bring a warm glow to Gerry's heart to know that his actions, in voting to steal EU citizenship from many of his fellow skiers and subsequently gloating over the fact that he has been able to retain his, are one of the reasons that I shall no longer be contributing to their ever-dwindling coffers.

edit - DOTM beat me to it Laughing
ski holidays
So that's Gerry Aitken, SCGB Director and hardest possible Brexiteer who agitated in self interest for the hardest possible Brexit to keep foreigners out so he could face less wage competition.

No, not about that. All the people of the world should have an equal chance to come to the UK in a way that is all controlled by an elected UK government. Anyway, you and Rob said I couldn't have my cake and eat it, well I can. But of course I do realise that you and your chums want to cancel as many Brexit voters as possible, hence all the 'we won't join if HE'S a member' comments.
snow report
Gerry's social media strategy for increasing SCGB membership seems to be a great success... Laughing
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Gerry's social media strategy for increasing SnowHeads membership seems to be a great success... Laughing

FIFY
snow conditions
It's not about Gerry Aitken, SCGB Council member, being "cancelled" no matter what his fervid little hard right brain might think about such things. It's about an organisation that considers his behaviour on its behalf acceptable without sanction and the risk that one is exposed to many others of the same ilk.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I don't hold any extreme political ideologies.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
I think the below vid of the Ski Club Zoom meeting in May, let's call it A Quantum of Boorish, is a fascinating insight, if you happen to have a spare 2 hours that is. If you do suffer the full duration you'll understand why this dinosaur is plummeting down the abyss. Gerry even speaks but keeps camera off and spares us a view into his lair.

Just had a random lucky dip and had to chuckle at them discussing diversity with a screen full of exclusively white faces in their 50s and 60s Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy