Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Interestingly @gerry has gone on sabbatical it seems from his one man mission to portray the SCGB in a bad light

Ah yes, I think I know why that would be. More than once Gerry has been 'asked' (told) to control his social posts. I guess finally he decided rather than resign he has accepted censorship of himself, while he works behind the scene to censor others.
I received today another nonsense, but irritating, legal letter from SCGB telling me to hand them the keys to the facebook group and forever only post glowing posts about SCGB over all of the internet, or they would burn my house down or something. Incredible that they think this is the way to spend members money. I'm don't want to amplify on the nonsense, it should be put in the bin, but I do have to deal with it. Anyway, Facebook group will remained uncensored by Council - it is quite independent of SCGB ... and snowheads and all, and welcomes constructive thoughts from all on social / club skiing.
I think (but don't know) that what 'they' object to is eg a post comparing PSB and the Freshtracks equivalent - completely missing the point and opportunity. Simply go on the group and engage, explain what makes it worth the extra or/and address the issue! There is much value add in a Freshtracks holiday, so share that. If its not enough to make up the £1000 difference in cost then deal with the problem, not the members who make you aware of it! Will be interesting to see if anyone on Council wishes to engage - although for me I have moved on, happy to help though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pruman wrote:
According to someone who went, the unfortunately-named 'Winter Starts Here' Laughing Member Meet-up last night in London managed to attract "about 30 people, mainly ski industry people and it looked like only a tiny handful of Members".

So a lacklustre event and lack of refreshing news - have they given up?

is this it?

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Finally stopping the PR damage Gerald was causing is a positive sign, although if he's still
employed as an openly racist director they haven't really solved the problem he represents for them.

What's the URL of the Facebook group, please?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Pruman wrote:
According to someone who went, the unfortunately-named 'Winter Starts Here' Laughing Member Meet-up last night in London managed to attract "about 30 people, mainly ski industry people and it looked like only a tiny handful of Members".

So a lacklustre event and lack of refreshing news - have they given up?

is this it?

Right - on the back of that photo I'm convinced: definitely joining up now!

...They've got a bottle of wine each on that table! Cool

I assume there are further pics of the messiness that ensued? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gallons of the stuff

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pisteoff wrote:

I received today another nonsense, but irritating, legal letter from SCGB telling me to hand them the keys to the facebook group and forever only post glowing posts about SCGB over all of the internet, or they would burn my house down or something. Incredible that they think this is the way to spend members money. I'm don't want to amplify on the nonsense, it should be put in the bin, but I do have to deal with it. Anyway, Facebook group will remained uncensored by Council - it is quite independent of SCGB ... and snowheads and all, and welcomes constructive thoughts from all on social / club skiing.
I think (but don't know) that what 'they' object to is eg a post comparing PSB and the Freshtracks equivalent - completely missing the point and opportunity. Simply go on the group and engage, explain what makes it worth the extra or/and address the issue! There is much value add in a Freshtracks holiday, so share that. If its not enough to make up the £1000 difference in cost then deal with the problem, not the members who make you aware of it! Will be interesting to see if anyone on Council wishes to engage - although for me I have moved on, happy to help though.

Oh dear. Wasting money on that when your page seems quite balanced and is a bit of outreach the SCGB isn't itself bothering doing. Plus y'know I'm not sure businesses can stop people talking about them on tinterweb - they can intimidate and maybe pick you up on specific libel but otherwise?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Link to FB page?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Club of Great Britain. Members. Private group on FB. "Criticism of the club should be constructive"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope @pisteoff's group is this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2822713711112979
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, that's the one I was referring to
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, OK thought you were referring to a SCGB Members only group on faceache.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, should have said members, past present etc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Nope @pisteoff's group is this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2822713711112979

Do any of you know - do you 'own' a Facebook group? I am the admin, however surely the group is a group of those people that join ... its not a Page, which is owned by a party / company, and you can promote from, advertise etc.
Anyway the demand ... with menaces ... from the graceless club is that I hand over the admin duty to someone who will promptly throw me off the group. I've said no (although co admin is OK) - and slowly but steadily some vindictive soles are obsessing about me, rather than focussing on building back better. Its not like the Club doesn't have some real challenges to deal with!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Legal threats...I suppose it depends what they're complaining about precisely, and how well founded that is.
Presumably they spelt out what they want and why before that?

I'm fairly interested in an organisation who sends its directors over here to abuse me and others,
so I think that qualifies me to take a peek at whatever it is they don't want me to see.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite some years ago, I was rummaging through my spam bin and found not one but two emails
Odd choice, given they had my address IRL for business correspondence and my phone number for when they wanted to confer or seek advice rolling eyes
from a solicitor threatening action on behalf of the SKGB for trademark infringement.
Ironically, the threat was so demonstrably spurious that it actually laid them open to legal action from me, so I wasn't worried but I was sad, because I'd made a concerted effort to be friends over the previous season and it looked like we were actually building some nice bridges... which were now clearly on fire Crying or Very sad

Not being one to fight over something, when we can laugh about it, I sent the message forward that this was 'silly' (with reasons) and suggested we should have an informal chat to resolve the misunderstanding.
But they just had their solicitor send the threat again
...which I found in my spam bin
rolling eyes

Some years later, a new CEO invited me for lunch, to discuss our mutual interests and overlapping memberships and in conversation I told him of this 'ancient' event, meaning it as no more than an interesting anecdote highlighting the silliness of a past administration.
"Oh yes" he said, "When I saw that in [the solicitors'] list of ongoing action, I told them to throw that away immediately: ridiculous!"
"WHAT!?! Shocked It was still an ongoing action when you took over! I had no idea. And the solicitor was charging for ongoing business?"
"Oh yes, I expect so."

Now to be clear, I'm not harbouring resentment, nor carrying this around as 'baggage' - it's really just a funny story to me now - but in light of the post above, it does kinda go to show, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Confused

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 22-09-21 23:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
philwig ...Finally stopping the PR damage Gerald was causing is a positive sign, although if he's still
employed as an openly racist director

gerry a racist ?? ffs !!! have a word with yourself
snow report
pisteoff wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone know who?

Yes, probably, think I have this data. Those that laughed to the bank included: Holt obviously, but others and the specific answer to your question, website developers. But to what end?

Hmmm...... "to what end?" I wonder, let me think, think think think, could it be ....... could it possibly be the lure of nearly HALF A MILLION POUNDS STERLING for doing the square root of not very much? It is actually a scandalous use of Members' funds. Sites like that, even with a back office membership/booking system don't need to cost one tenth of the amount spaffed. Someone somewhere really needs to join the dots and follow the money don't you think?

davidof wrote:
Won't the Reps need work permits this winter for the EU?

I think the answer is "quite possibly" depending on what country and who is asking... My view now, assuming we are talking about reps with UK passports, would refer to the UK-EU Trade & Co-operation Agreement (TCA) - it sets out a list of the business activities that are generally permitted for short term visits to the EU. These include Tourism personnel attending or participating in conventions or accompanying a tour that has begun in the UK

The key word there IMV is 'accompanying' meaning, for example, being on the Shearings bus with the OAPs all the way from Victoria Coach Station to the EU and back to Victoria Coach Station. Not staying out there a few weeks and meeting different groups.

Certain EU countries have not agreed to the full list of permitted activities. These exceptions are set out in the TCA. Therefore, the Club would need to seek legal advice to ensure that the activities are permitted in the particular country being visited without a visa. My guess is that they may not have bothered because the paperwork required for loads of reps is onerous.

There are certain prohibited activities and arrangements such as:
- selling goods and services to the general public
- receiving remuneration locally
- engaging in the supply of certain services (which could easily mean services like organising a guide for example)

Individuals travelling to carry out such activities are not covered by the short-term business visit arrangements. 

In short, it's a fair bet that at some point in some jurisdiction, a Ski Club rep will get hassled/arrested if found without the correct paperwork, paperwork that probably takes 3 months to get if it can be got at all. I think SCGB Reps will be treated exactly the same as tour operator reps - the UK passport holders have either had to get residency or apply for visas and neither route is exactly easy or quick or guaranteed.

pisteoff wrote:
Quote:
Interestingly @gerry has gone on sabbatical it seems from his one man mission to portray the SCGB in a bad light

Ah yes, I think I know why that would be. More than once Gerry has been 'asked' (told) to control his social posts. I guess finally he decided rather than resign he has accepted censorship of himself, while he works behind the scene to censor others.
I received today another nonsense, but irritating, legal letter from SCGB telling me to hand them the keys to the facebook group and forever only post glowing posts about SCGB over all of the internet, or they would burn my house down or something. Incredible that they think this is the way to spend members money. etc

Yes, that is a colossal waste of time and money. They just love censorship and secrecy and that means it all needs to be blown wide open. Go join all the dots. Remember the Chairman's 'it's bad management, that's all, nothing to see here, move on' report? Well, I never believed it at the time and I especially don't believe it now.

davidof wrote:
is this it?

Certainly looks like the downstairs of The White Haus. About 20 people there. Knock off the flunkies, Ski Club staff and resort reps and you arrive at a grand total of about half a dozen members - this for a London-centric club with a claimed 25,000 members. Pathetic and expensive. The photographer cleverly hid the shorts and flip flops debacle - definitely not in keeping with how the others turned themselves out for the evening.

pisteoff wrote:
Anyway the demand ... with menaces ... from the graceless club is that I hand over the admin duty to someone who will promptly throw me off the group.

'with menaces' - I would normally interpret that as desperation.

You've told them 'no'. Make that the final answer, doubt there is anything they can do about it, you are clearly not passing yourself off as the club. I imagine they will have complained to Facebook as well and it's their site their rules so so it'll be interesting if Mr Zuckerberg agrees with them.

@Admin extraordinary, yet not entirely surprising. How on earth are you meant to have infringed their trademark?
ski holidays
Ski Club 2.0 was thought to be trading on their name IIRC, obviously instructed by someone with no sense of history, humour or irony in getting bent out of shape about a teeny tagline.

I mean no one could mistake here for THE tea club could they? Mind you I've heard rumours that a new rigourous grading process will take place to determine which buff you get given wink
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ski Club 2.0 was thought to be trading on their name IIRC, obviously instructed by someone with no sense of history, humour or irony in getting bent out of shape about a teeny tagline.

I seem to recall that at the time* their website said that the term "Ski Club of Great Britain" was trademarked, but the website also explicitly said (fairly obviously) that the term "Ski Club" was not.

* Interestingly this site shows the current status of that trademark as DEAD. Puzzled
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Ski Club 2.0 was actually a reference to Web 2.0, that being websites whose content was created by their users. (a new concept at the time)
The idea being that snowHeads was, in effect, a ski club whose content and activity was created by its members.

To be fair though @Alastair Pink, they've registered new ones since
https://www.trademarkelite.com/uk/trademark/trademark-search.aspx?sw=ski%20club%20britain
Their latest application looks like they're trying to deprecate the 'of'.
snow report
What the actual FUCK?!

https://www.trademarkelite.com/uk/trademark/correspondent/Anthony%20Harris/264554

snow report
admin wrote:
What the actual FUCK?!

https://www.trademarkelite.com/uk/trademark/correspondent/Anthony%20Harris/264554

What the hell? The SCGB are looking to trademark the snowHeads name that has been in use by you since 2004!!!. And of course I take it they didn't have the courtesy of informing you of that fact. I presume you will be filing an objection to their claim? As someone who was a member of the SCGB for about 20 years I am disgusted by their behaviour. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
OK, let's just assume, for the moment, that they're doing it as a joke
OK, at £170 filing fee, quite an expensive joke but in keeping with the spaffing time they've been having lately.
, shall we?
I mean... it would be quite a good one (if that was the intention) and hey, the err, SKGB are renowned for their sense of humour, no? Confused

I'll [try to] have a friendly chat with someone later and see how that goes snowHead
snow conditions
WTAF - if it's not a joke or someone like @gerry doing it for vindictiveness then it's shitbaggery of the highest order. Really given their own bag of turds they need to sort out, sHs who are members there should ask VERY HARD questions about what their memnership fees are being spent on.

Starting with Gambrill NOW.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Really given their own bag of turds they need to sort out, sHs who are members there should ask VERY HARD questions about what their membership fees are being spent on.

Starting with Gambrill NOW.

Well quite. Several sHs are members of the SCGB as they consider they benefit from being in both organisations. I would hope that they would consider this attempt to 'steal' the snowHeads name as despicable Evil or Very Mad , and let the SCGB know that too in forceful terms. If the SCGB continues along that path I would very much hope that they would be considering terminating their membership as a result.
snow conditions
U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E !
latest report
Hmm, can anyone think of a vindictive individual with a grudge against both SCGB and Snowheads? Someone who looks at details like filings and expiry dates and wouldn’t be averse to a bit of cyber or legal squattery just to stir the pot?

I presume Anthony Harris is a legal agent - the registration is made on behalf of SCGB, or at least by someone claiming to be them.

If this was SCGB, it’s a pretty despicable thing to do, and needs a Cease and Desist letter in return plus an objection to the filing
snow conditions
Not cool, not cool at all. This is different level. In my world, there would be cans of legal whupass being opened
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr, according to companies house / SCGBs own website Anthony Harris is a director of the SCGB. Though of course it could still be someone claiming to be him rather than actually him.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:

I think the answer is "quite possibly" depending on what country and who is asking... My view now, assuming we are talking about reps with UK passports, would refer to the UK-EU Trade & Co-operation Agreement (TCA) - it sets out a list of the business activities that are generally permitted for short term visits to the EU. These include Tourism personnel attending or participating in conventions or accompanying a tour that has begun in the UK

The key word there IMV is 'accompanying' meaning, for example, being on the Shearings bus with the OAPs all the way from Victoria Coach Station to the EU and back to Victoria Coach Station. Not staying out there a few weeks and meeting different groups.

Interesting given the reps have been deemed "employees" in France.
snow report
@Gämsbock, so looks like a real land grab, and therefore needs a strong FO response Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@admin, I'm assuming you've contacted the trademark body to register your displeasure?
latest report
I’m (I was!) planning to book a Freshtracks holiday for me and Mrs On The Rocks and hence renew our membership ! But what sort of organisation has SCGB become? Talk about own goals! We will watch developments with interest.
snow conditions
@On the rocks, email Freshtracks with a link to the TM site and ask WTF?
ski holidays
Quote:

Now to be clear, I'm not harbouring resentment, nor carrying this around as 'baggage' - it's really just a funny story to me now - but in light of the post above, it does kinda go to show, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Yes - very familiar. And quite ridiculous. I hope one or other of the Council members who read this chain reflect - it really is not healthy.
100% agree with your sentiments Mr Admin, including that it is a side show. Which is part of what makes it so ridiculous - SCGB Could be so much more
ski holidays
https://suite.endole.co.uk/explorer/postcode/rg14-3bb
snow conditions
Act quickly - there's only a 2 month window to file complaints after the filing of a trademark...
ski holidays
admin wrote:
What the actual FUCK?!

Putain de merde..!!! Excuse my French, but you really couldn't make it up..!!
latest report
They really should be looking to trademark DickHeads also.
snow report
It’s quite funny though… SnowHeads seem to have won the first installment: “Ski website wars”; perhaps this is “The Empire (SCGB) strikes back”; looking forward to the next installment “Return of the Admin…”
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy