Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, I would expect Snowsport England/Scotland/Wales to do those tasks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really - how are Snowsport England going to give me definitive advice on how to ski for a full winter in a Euro country?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, Ask them. They provided advice on working as a coach in the EU recently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@userscott,
Quote:

Calm down chaps..

I wasn't suggesting that Snowheads could be a governing body, I said a national body - representing skiers and boarders impartially on a national level.

SnowHeads is already an international phenomenon.
Why would it want to diminish it’s influence to a mere national level?
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

SnowHeads is already an international phenomenon.

Is that the case in all multiverses? Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The incompetence goes on.
I have just received an e-mail from SCGB with the subject "Winter Starts Here".
It's not that its for a "Member Exclusive Event" when I am no longer a member.
Or that one could interpret that phrase as stating that members are excluded from the event, so only non-members can go. Actually, thinking about it maybe that is why I got the invitation.
It is that in the few words of the email it manages to include a large and obvious boo-boo when it states "To kick of the 20/21 season..."
I do assume the author know English well enough know it should be kick off.
Maybe now, unlike in the past, there is a procedure to run a spell-checker before sending out a communication.
Unfortunately a spell-checker won't catch a case like this where a wrong word was used, but spelt correctly.
For that one needs a human with common sense to read it, one who takes the quality of the communication seriously.
Something I am sure the tourist boards invited to the event always do, being professionals in the tourism business.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skinomad wrote:
"To kick of the 20/21 season..."

I suggest it's a little late for that.

They don't check anything. The staff don't love it. Nobody cares.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skinomad wrote:

I do assume the author know English well enough know it should be kick off.

Maybe now, unlike in the past, there is a procedure to run a spell-checker before sending out a communication.

or even a forum post
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely it should be 21/22...........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A night at the pub for skiers seems like a healthy thing to me, however why be 'exclusive'? This event is sponsored by a group of national tourist boards - Its an attractive thing that a club can offer, both for the 'members' and for the sponsors. However how much better would it be if this was a bridge to membership of a inclusive club? SCGB is trapped by having to try to find things to justify the membership fee for the 90% who don't want or can't afford Freshtracks holidays - the current model only works for a diminishing and aging group. SCGB could build from its fantastic, loyal fan base to be the go to place to meet like minded skiers, the next step on from one week a year blue/red on-piste skiing, welcoming for all ages. However its not going to happen, just too much baggage, too closed thinking, too precious. If anyone on SCGB Council sees this note please feel free to post an invitation here and/or on the Past/Present/Future members Facebook page to the event for 'potential members'. Open the door guys, welcome people in!
Its not going to happen, hence opportunity for something new.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes my mistake, it was correctly stated as 21/22, how embarrassing to be found fallible too.
Good job I wasn't paid to write it, nor am I communicating for an organisation.
Regarding communication, I'll go and check the SCGB web-site's curious link to Alyeska Webcam that appears at the bottom of every rep's programme regardless of where they are repping.
Yes, clicking the OPEN WEBCAM button still goes to error 404 "Page not found". Is the Alyeska resort actually paying the SCGB for this sponsorship one wonders.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the rocks wrote:
The latest (main) tranche of Freshtracks holidays were posted this morning. It looks like the very successful Flaine chalet holidays are no more. These were excellent with the good and consistent coaching and guiding from Yann Westercamp and his team, unlike others Freshtracks holidays where the instructors and guides have been random and often not good. It looks like there is also no Chamonix (Les Houches) chalet this year either. I’m guessing all this is due to not having the reserves to commit to leasing the chalets and paying staff. Now for me there is no reason to go with Freshtracks instead of Snowworks (for example) for guided or instructed off piste holidays.

Well the SCGB have now sorted the Flaine trips, so some hope yet, prices have increased but maybe just in line with other providers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks wrote:
prices have increased but maybe just in line with other providers

Their other trips look to be priced well beyond other providers if my shopping around is anything to go by. Agree, the Flaine prices don't look toooo bad, but others are way out of kilter IMO.

One example that still stands out to me:

SCGB Premier Party, Tignes 5th December £1949 not including lift pass or single room supp.

Same week with Snowheads in like-for-like accommodation £577 not including flight.

I think the cost of a lift pass will outweigh the cost of a flight so the actual difference is even greater.

There are other differences on both sides of the equation of course but the SCGB offer just seems so out of touch with reality.

On another subject, I was fascinated to read this:

https://nhsnursetoskiinstructor.home.blog/2021/08/29/basi-or-ski-club-of-great-britain/

Someone wants a 'coveted blue jacket' - oh my days Laughing . Why pay £000s to train for a 'qualification' you can't use and a jacket you almost can't wear on snow? But what the blog demonstrates is that there is still confusion over what a Rep or Social Rep can or can't do and the club website is still happy to carry on with the ambiguity.

She has put together a program for Saas Fee that quite clearly offers social skiing 'as a group of friends' but she would obviously be the de facto leader, especially in the event of an accident.

Meanwhile the Club continues to underwhelm. At a time when the Events Diary and the Membership drive should be in full effect, there appears to be close to no obvious activity. As they say, Winter Starts on 6th September but this is it:

Quote:
Winter Starts Here Member Meet up

White Haus, London // Monday 6th Sept, 8:15pm

Ski with Chemmy & Charlie

The Snow Centre, Hemel // Tues 28th Sept, varied times

Kit & Equipment with Snow+Rock

Details coming soon...

The National Snow Show

Birmingham // Sat 23rd & Sun 24th October

Buy tickets here

So you can BUY tickets for a show that's giving away free tickets like no tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pruman wrote:

https://nhsnursetoskiinstructor.home.blog/2021/08/29/basi-or-ski-club-of-great-britain/

Someone wants a 'coveted blue jacket' - oh my days Laughing . Why pay £000s to train for a 'qualification' you can't use and a jacket you almost can't wear on snow? But what the blog demonstrates is that there is still confusion over what a Rep or Social Rep can or can't do and the club website is still happy to carry on with the ambiguity.

She has put together a program for Saas Fee that quite clearly offers social skiing 'as a group of friends' but she would obviously be the de facto leader, especially in the event of an accident.

That was quite interesting. She doesn't want her BASI qualification because she would be in the firing line if skiing with friends but has jumped into the SCGB fire and will potentially pay a lot more to become a ski club rep rather than a BASI instructor. If I remember right she injured herself before doing L2 so wasn't able to go further - she sustained a permanent hip injury in an ESF torchlit decent.

some more here

https://nhsnursetoskiinstructor.home.blog/2021/02/14/ski-club-of-great-britain/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BASI 2 and SCGB leader are very different. The former is skills coaching whereas I understand SCGB is leading on and off (with prescribed limits). I can see the latter being relevant for peer groups of off piste skiers as well as in a more formal setting, after all too many off piste skiers or groups of them woefully lack mountain awareness. However I guess this element of the leaders course may be available cheaper elsewhere without having to pass any social skills assessment??.
snow conditions
On the rocks wrote:
I understand SCGB is leading on and off (with prescribed limits). I can see the latter being relevant for peer groups of off piste skiers as well as in a more formal setting, after all too many off piste skiers or groups of them woefully lack mountain awareness. However I guess this element of the leaders course may be available cheaper elsewhere without having to pass any social skills assessment??.

"The course runs once a year in Tignes and is not cheap at cost of £3199 plus an additional £480"

That is quite erm, exclusive.

If you went through the French mountaineering federation training you would pay about 1000 euros to become a ski touring leader, including accommodation and lunch. Obviously champers and caviar would be extra. (2 days navigation, 2 days glacier and rope work, 2 days snow and avalanche, 5 days leadership) which would be reimbursed by your ski club if you were a member and agreed to lead. The training assumes you are already relatively competent at the core skills.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Pruman wrote:

That was quite interesting. She doesn't want her BASI qualification because she would be in the firing line if skiing with friends but has jumped into the SCGB fire and will potentially pay a lot more to become a ski club rep rather than a BASI instructor. If I remember right she injured herself before doing L2 so wasn't able to go further - she sustained a permanent hip injury in an ESF torchlit decent.

I don't see how she could "undo" her BASI qualification to remove the risk of being considered responsible for a group.

I also can't see why she would need to do multiple First Aid courses, there have been BASI instructors and SCGB reps on all the BASP courses that I have done.
latest report
Quote:

The course runs once a year in Tignes and is not cheap at cost of £3199 plus an additional £480"

I demand to know why Snowheads doesn’t have such a course??!!

If it did, what would the syllabus be and would we get a free sH fleece, I wonder? snowHead
snow report
davidof wrote:
An interesting world view. I guess the "jacket" thing is a joke.

I'm not sure their legal advice is making sense, mind. Simply riding together doesn't create any liability, in BC at least (Kennedy vs Coe, around 2013).
latest report
@On the rocks, Definitely agree that SCGB Leader and BASI 2 are different. I skied with someone in 2019 who claimed to be a SCGB Leader and would certainly have struggled to make BASI 1. No doubt his claim was true as he's down to lead in Mayrhofen next season
snow conditions
@davidof, I’m assuming the FFME courses are only available to French members or members of affiliated French Climbing clubs. It’s a shame that similar is not available to British ski mountaineers, the BMC provide an excellent DVD https://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product/off-piste-essentials/
But no actual courses. Also the scope of the MLTB does not extend beyond the UK.
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

The course runs once a year in Tignes and is not cheap at cost of £3199 plus an additional £480"

I demand to know why Snowheads doesn’t have such a course??!!
At your service - we are a member led organisation - would Sir like it at the start or the end of the season? snowHead
Quote:

If it did, what would the syllabus be
U name it, it's in Cool
Quote:
and would we get a free sH fleece, I wonder? snowHead
Dude, for that price you can have a 'free' T-shirt too! Toofy Grin
snow report
philwig wrote:
I guess the "jacket" thing is a joke.

No I think she is serious. But now they can't wear one on the mountain, where it was useful to make the Leader obvious, I guess it has indeed become a bit of a joke, a £3k+ joke.

philwig wrote:
I'm not sure their legal advice is making sense, mind. Simply riding together doesn't create any liability, in BC at least (Kennedy vs Coe, around 2013).

"Where there's blame there's a claim" as the ambulance chasers like to say. Getting sued is incredibly inconvenient win or lose. I'm sure it varies country to country but, as far as the alps go, I always understand that ze authorities can deem someone to have been the leader and therefore potentially the liable one in the event of an incident. But the unjacketed under-the-radar social rep doing a bit of leading just piles up the potential legal problems in my opinion - untrained plucky amateurs hell bent on merely 'showing Members around the resort' - oh yeah  Laughing 
snow report
Quote:

If you went through the French mountaineering federation training you would pay about 1000 euros to become a ski touring leader

@davidof - do you have a link or further info? I know an L2 instructor in Meribel that may be interested in something like that, decent French and not that bothered about L3 courses and keeping up qualifications due to no work prospects but fancies avi / touring training..
latest report
davidof wrote:

some more here

Hmm. Maybe more of an insight into what a social rep might be than anything the SCGB has articulated. But she seems very much to be writing her own programme and it's hard to know whether she is being satirical or very much not about the blue jackets Confused
snow conditions
According to someone who went, the unfortunately-named 'Winter Starts Here' Laughing Member Meet-up last night in London managed to attract "about 30 people, mainly ski industry people and it looked like only a tiny handful of Members".

The last 'News' on the website was 18th of August - an insurance update - yawn.

So a lacklustre event and lack of refreshing news - have they given up?
ski holidays
Maybe a plague ridden pub meet in central London not exactly the sexiest proposition for members right now given ageing demographic, public transport and generally WFHness for those members still gainfully employed. So perhaps blame poor planning rather than lack of interest.
latest report
…or good planning to keep it cosy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pruman, you misread intent.
With no London Ski Show, schmoozing resources must be directed to industry chums via other paths to ensure kickbacks and freebies during the season.
Members interests out of the equation, it was not lacklustre at all.
ski holidays
@Super Chap Great Bloke,
You make it sound as if it was planned by Alex from the Daily Telegraph!
snow report
Nemisis wrote:
@Super Chap Great Bloke,
You make it sound as if it was planned by Alex from the Daily Telegraph!

I do love Alex ...

https://www.alexcartoon.com/index.cfm?cartoon_num=7851
latest report
@eblunt, Loved Alex for years.
I have one of the signed originals (includes the TypEx as they changed the words prior to publication) hanging above my desk right now - mainly because it describes [AR family name] as a "competent banker" and Mrs Roll thought it very funny indeed.
latest report
Super Chap Great Bloke wrote:
Pruman, you misread intent.
With no London Ski Show, schmoozing resources must be directed to industry chums via other paths to ensure kickbacks and freebies during the season.
Members interests out of the equation, it was not lacklustre at all.

You might be right.

What does the panel think? - I'm informed by 'outraged of SW12' that the new GM turned up to schmooze the industry at The White Haus wearing shorts and flip flops. Maybe (definitely) I'm old fashioned but I think this promotes the wrong image, especially on his first outing. Arrogance? Shorts can be OK but flip flops?
ski holidays
Quote:

the new GM turned up to schmooze the industry at The White Haus

anyone know much about James Gambrill the new GM? Do you think he will turn round the club? Improvement on the previous CEO?
snow report
Pruman wrote:

What does the panel think? - I'm informed by 'outraged of SW12' that the new GM turned up to schmooze the industry at The White Haus wearing shorts and flip flops. Maybe (definitely) I'm old fashioned but I think this promotes the wrong image, especially on his first outing. Arrogance? Shorts can be OK but flip flops?

Well it was scorchio that day so maybe he had the right idea. And maybe dressing like a normal human rather than a stuffed suit is the tiniest step in the right direction. Can imagine the dress for dinner faction in the club might not be fond.....
ski holidays
pisteoff wrote:
anyone know much about James Gambrill the new GM? Do you think he will turn round the club? Improvement on the previous CEO?

Not comparing apples with apples. One is a GM told what to do by Council, and the ex CEO was doing it the other way round but with the support of the Chairman and a gaping cheque book. Both set-ups are all wrong IMV, especially the idea that a volunteer Board, meeting only periodically and not working in or on the business, can achieve much worthwhile via a servant. The evidence is there - nearly three months in with this new way of working and nothing appears to have changed; the failing membership offering is the same, the communication via a very expensive website is woeful/pathetic, the events schedule is almost non-existent, the 170 holidays (count 'em!) on offer are mostly over-priced and the resort choices bizarre, the reps program in tatters, long standing members are leaving. This is mid September and the energy and enthusiasm just isn't evident.

What is evident is that the new GM takes any opportunity to rope in his Mountain Trade Network, the thing he had to resign from but perhaps still runs. The White Haus evening was in conjunction with MTN and the market research is in conjunction with MTN. That's the only discernible activity I can see apart from the desperate Sunweb promotion.

I'm trying not to be stuffy about shorts and flip flops - shorts done right can be a good look, especially a uniform team look, but some people are turned off by bare feet - we all know someone who hates other people's feet. The leader needs to set the bar a bit higher for a business event in central London I think and I now know there were more than a few thinking likewise. What next? Hats with corks and a bit of sheep shearing? I think the White Haus has aircon so the "scorchio" excuse doesn't wash. I think it was arrogance when there is nothing at all to be arrogant about. 

Do I think he'll turn the Club around? No, not a chance. 
snow report
Quote:

Only one man can save them now!
DG to the rescue!
ski holidays
@Pruman, Flip flops with or without socks? Cool
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
... the new GM takes any opportunity to rope in his Mountain Trade Network, the thing he had to resign from but perhaps still runs. The White Haus evening was in conjunction with MTN and the market research is in conjunction with MTN. That's the only discernible activity I can see apart from the desperate Sunweb promotion.

I'm trying not to be stuffy about shorts and flip flops...
I think it was arrogance when there is nothing at all to be arrogant about. 

Pushing money through a previously previously failing B2B ski industry company is very interesting.
Perhaps our podcaster will interview his old mucker again and ask (a) how that benefits anyone other than himself; and (b) was the work competitively tendered.
I shan't hold my breath, despite the stench.

As far as "dress" is concerned, well I think that the proof is in the pudding: if the people he met felt insulted, he got it wrong.

If you want to turn a business around... you need someone with a track record in that.
snow report
Who knows - maybe running stuff through MTN was his price for taking the job? Perhaps a la Freshtracks SCGB now own MTN?

Doesn't look good in the context of past mismanagement and mis-spending though. I expect SCGB will be clear and transparent in explaining it to members Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy