Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2020/2021 a non starter?

Poster: A snowHead
@boobleblooble, not only are you a covidiot, you and people like you are going to be the reason why the rest of us have to live under more restrictions for longer, so just go and do one.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@haggishunter, well said.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I miss @whitegold, he was a proper troll. Sometimes funny, and occasionally even forced us to question our own prejudices (and sanity).

The new trolls just aren't as good. Can we have the old one back please?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Can we have the old one back please?

Be careful what you wish for Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@haggishunter, @Valkyrie, no.

The reason you are living under restrictions such as you are in Scotland is because your elected gov't has decided to do so. I have no influence whatsoever over what they decide. If you feel it is better to turn on those who refuse to comply for its own sake rather than the people that did this to you then the only idiot is you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boobleblooble, no. The reason why we are living under restrictions is because there's a pandemic. Practically every government in the world has imposed restrictions to minimise the impact of the virus. It's idiots like you who don't comply that prolong the hassle for everyone else.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valkyrie, a pandemic with a survival rate of 99.9%. Simply stating that 'everyone else is doing it' is no argument. It is worth pointing out that none of the restrictions so far appear to have worked: the countries with the harshest restrictions frequently have the worst death tolls. The 'successes' such as they are have turned their countries into near-prisons: New Zealand and Australia.

What do you really think would happen if all the restrictions were lifted tomorrow in one go? Do you really think there would be mounds of dead left unburied? Do you even know that at the height of the pandemic in the UK bed occupancy was ~60%? Do you not worry that you might find a lump or have an accident and be refused care as the gov't currently cares for little except the case and death numbers?

Above all, why do you think that we can control it, any more than we can control an earthquake or a tidal wave? You can build stronger buildings or move populations away from the shore but you can't prevent it forever. The price of being social creatures is disease. Out of interest, have you every year without fail had a 'flu jab? Thousands die every year from that disease and it is spread in a similar fashion to C19 but it would be ludicrous to call you an 'idiot' or even 'granny killer' if you missed your jab one year. Yet inevitably you will have spread viruses and bacteria simply by walking about the place and living freely. For all you know, one of those viruses could've been 'flu and killed someone.

No-one however takes anyone to court for such as thing as it is impossible to place blame: you might as well sue God for being struck by a lightning-bolt.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boobleblooble, strongly put but +1.
In the end it’s a nasty virus for people
Who are overwhelmingly very elderly and with serious health conditions-not talking about being a bit tubby or wheezy either.
Once you take into account life years lost rather than number of lives, the restrictions will end up causing more harm (economic, other health issues not treated, educational, lost future prospects) than the virus because those affected by the restrictions will be much younger than those saved by them.
Globally it is even worse. Hundreds of millions will end up in poverty because of the lack of income from global travel and tourism for example.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boobleblooble,

Agree with this too, + another 1.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boobleblooble wrote:
near-prisons: New Zealand and Australia.

I live in NZ. It's not a near prison. There just aren't any tourists. Other than quarantine on arrival in a nice hotel, there are no other restrictions in place.

That's a result of good leadership and a sensible population following the guidelines and looking after each other.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boobleblooble, stuff and nonsense. You call NZ and Aus a prison, well if Scotland was a similar ‘prison’ I’d be able to go and have face to face meetings in Glasgow, I’d be able to then go with my colleagues and meet some friends for a few drinks in the pub, I’d be able to visit and stay with family in other parts of Scotland. I can’t because the UK Government throw away the sacrifices we all made in lockdown by opening up all of England while only considering virus prevalence in and around London.

You talk about other harms and other health needs, what you fail to understand is a failure to control covid disrupts all other healthcare, the more out of control covid is the greater the disruption and other health harms. What about individuals who’ve with their doctors been walking a hellish tightrope, stuck between the obvious risk of limiting cancer treatment vs the risk of a medically compromised immune system in a medical system dealing with an unusually infectious and dangerous virus that would likely kill them if they contracted it on their full treatment program. Perhaps they’d rather take their chances in a NZ style ‘prison’?

Did you miss the lockdown in spring, that is why the health service did not collapse. Even if you don’t intend to let it run riot, but try to ‘run hot’ you could suddenly find the situation getting beyond control - some European countries are teetering on the brink just now.

What do you think happens to non covid healthcare when the hospitals are full of covid patients, but due to level of illness there’s not even the staff adequately to look after the covid patients?

What do you think happens to your hypothetical no restriction UK when due to level of illness and death, and thus fear from people previously shielding means that transport is hardly available in our big cities, that distribution networks don’t have enough drivers to keep shops stocked, or there’s not enough safety critical staff to keep the fuel refinery refining?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hang11, the quarantine for which you have to pay? Would those be the tourists that employ nearly a tenth of the population?

Speaking of prisons, aren't the gov't there allowed to force you into quarantine facilities along with your family?

For how long will you accept the restrictions on your life and why are you so happy to hand your freedom to the gov't to hand back at their permission?

What happens when you want to open the borders again, or will you ban foreigners w/o residency forever? Do you seriously think that there will be a vaccine that will give complete immunity to C19? Good luck, we've not even managed that with routine (and sometimes deadly) childhood illnesses like whooping cough and meningitis!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@haggishunter - I can only speak for the way it works here in Denmark, but numbers actually suggest it is the other Way around: surgery and important medical Care geeting postponed, due to the fact that all ressources have been allocated to fighting Covid-19. Don’t know if it is the same in the UK. The Health board went on live TV last friday, and announced that they have been looking at death certificates, and 95% of deaths related to infected people, were due to Covid-19 ... monday doctors went on TV, and announced that they were told to put that specific reason down on the certificate if a patient had Corona and died, without investigating the reason.
I told my daughter, that I would go to the alps in november, and she had an outburst saying: You are killing People !!

The fact is, that some professors crunched the numbers, and this have the exactly same signature as the flu, and year to date, Denmark have a smaller mortality rate than anytime else in the 2000’s.

When somebody start calling others covidiot, I seriously wonder who the real covidiot is.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 28-10-20 8:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boobleblooble, you only have to pay under some circumstances - ie coming for a temporary visit. $3k. I'm cool with that, if I want to leave temporarily, it's part of the cost, and I'm not keen on my tax $$ paying for people who want to go overseas for a holiday to quarantine. There's exemptions for family/hardship reasons, not many people have to pay it.

"Quarantine" facilities are all 4/5 star hotels. It's not that much of a hardship.

The tourism thing is interesting. It's caused carnage in very specific locations/industries, but not in the wider economy. A lot of the employment is casual and seasonal travelers, it hasn't created a huge unemployment issue generally. Ski season just gone was the busiest I've ever seen it, the ski fields made more money than a normal year. Their biggest issue was getting staff. A lot of the people out of work in tourism have just taken other work in agriculture etc. A lot of tourism businesses are going OK with domestic tourists unable to go overseas.

Overall in the economy, things are actually pretty rosy here. There aren't restrictions on my life outside of overseas travel being hard. It's that simple. There is no COVID in the community in NZ, and hasn't been to any significant level at all. That's a result of getting on top of the problem quickly, using harsh measures for a few weeks.

So I don't really have to accept any restrictions on my life, as most kiwis don't. So although you may not want to hear it, it's actually not a bad place to be considering what most of the rest of the world is having to deal with.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On another note - we have had vaccines for measles for more than 50 years, and measles are still here - i seriously dought a vaccine will remove Covid 19 from the face of the Earth. This is in no way an attack om vaccines - just don’t expect it to Solve everything.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 28-10-20 0:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@haggishunter, Scotland isn't an island. The UK has over sixty million people in enormous cities: how did you think we were going to copy NZ and Aus? Shoot down planes coming in to land at Gatwick? Please don't bother with this 'UK government' stuff: Sturgeon can hammer Scotland with endless penalties and blame Westminster for the fact that they all fail, as they have everywhere in the world. When the terrible recession we are about to enter hits she will demand more money from the gov't and when it is not forthcoming, despite the extra Scotland receives from the Barnett Formula, she will simply blame the wicked Tories when it was her actions that embeggared Scotland.

As I've already said: C19 has a survival rate of 99.9% across the population. The Hong Kong 'flu killed a relatively similar proportion of the population and we simply soldiered on and no-one has heard of it. We will remember this for generations upon generations. You fail to understand that there are deadlier things than C19 and the immunocompromised can die of any infection, not just C19. Luckily C19 only kills the weak and not everyone but sadly (and I cannot believe I am continually have to say this to grown men and women nowadays) people die. We are all going to die. It is as inevitable as gravity and as inescapable. Normally, around 1,300 Britons die every day. C19 represents about an extra five weeks of deaths.

You talk of 'teetering on the brink': you CANNOT control a virus like the flow of water in a river or crops in a field. It is completely wild and has evolved over millennia to spread through contact: you seem to find this idea new and strange. C19 is going to kill people and much like a my earlier analogy of a tidal wave or earthquake you can either move or do your best and pick up the pieces. You, yourself, can either hide indoors until you die or you can come out and take a very, very mild risk: one which you do not even consider getting in the car and propelling yourself along a road at 70 mph. That kind of speed is completely alien to a human body yet we do it without thought. Just as driving a car is essential to modern life so is social contact to human life.

Staff go off sick in the NHS all the time. Why do you keep saying the country will be overwhelmed when I've already told you that only around 60% of beds were occupied at the height of C19? Why didn't all the fuel refinery staff, bus drivers and shop staff die in their thousands in April? The shops were still full and no-one wore masks then (pointless though they are, at least in medical terms). Can't you realise that this isn't some terrible plague: the numbers just aren't there. If you think it is then why aren't the Chinese, Vietnamese and South Koreans burying their dead with bulldozers? This virus came about in a city bigger than London. If you seriously think that it was stopped from spreading amongst these vast metropolises by track-and-trace or closing the roads you're mad: there is no other way to put it. Mr. Park getting on the tube in Seoul one morning whilst infected would've been impossible to trace by lunchtime.

In short: you are going to die, as are we all, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You have a measure of years so make the most of them. C19 is very, very unlikely to kill you.

Lastly, I'm sorry to say, but all the damage: to businesses, health, our way of life: all of it has been a waste. We have shifted to an authoritarian state where the gov't and Police have exercised power in excess of the laws that they have been given and there are hundreds of thousands who love their submission because it is easier to obey in the hope of safety than to take their own lives into their hands and venture out.

I'm off to bed.
snow report
@boobleblooble, the only further point I’ll add is this, it’s not about the risk to YOU, it’s the risk you may unknowingly pose to everyone who happens to be around you.

That you can’t or won’t grasp that makes you are an ASS. Arrogant, Selfish, Stupid.
snow conditions
It might not kill you but I can tell you the ongoing effects of it once you’ve had it can be pretty awful. And that’s coming from a very fit and active mid 40s guy with no health issues. So simply saying you won’t die is lovely but when 7 months later you are still broken with bizarre symptoms , it doesn’t really wash.
latest report
@DanishRider, I believe the only virus to have been wiped out (by widespread vaccination and a pretty comprehensive global public healthcare campaign) is smallpox.

Seasonal 'flu f'rinstance reappears in different versions each year. The common cold is caused by a whole bundle of pathogens of which only ~30% have actually been identified. ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@DanishRider, I believe the only virus to have been wiped out (by widespread vaccination and a pretty comprehensive global public healthcare campaign) is smallpox.

Seasonal 'flu f'rinstance reappears in different versions each year. The common cold is caused by a whole bundle of pathogens of which only ~30% have actually been identified. ...

That is exactly my point Happy
snow report
orange wrote:
It might not kill you but I can tell you the ongoing effects of it once you’ve had it can be pretty awful. And that’s coming from a very fit and active mid 40s guy with no health issues. So simply saying you won’t die is lovely but when 7 months later you are still broken with bizarre symptoms , it doesn’t really wash.

First of all, and i am very sorry to hear that you were hit by this, and i hope for a full recovery for you. But the Symptoms that you and some others appears to experience , is actually the same that people hit by Influenza experience i some years. I am not arguing that you have nothing to worry about, but this is not unique to Corona. Should we do a full lockdown in the years that by influenza ?
snow conditions
DanishRider wrote:
On another note - we have had vaccines for measles for more than 50 years, and measles are still here - i seriously dought a vaccine will remove Covid 19 from the face of the Earth. This is in no way an attack om vaccines - just don’t expect it to Solve everything.
Do you think that the vaccines currently under development will have zero impact on the spread of the virus? Do you think they will have zero impact on the severity of infection?

Seems to be flurry of absolutism and defeatism in this thread.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Do you think that the vaccines currently under development will have zero impact on the spread of the virus? Do you think they will have zero impact on the severity of infection?

Seems to be flurry of absolutism and defeatism in this thread.

How did you conclude that? My statement was: I doubt the vaccines will remove Covid-19 from the face of the earth.
ski holidays
@haggishunter, do you drive and thereby put other road users at risk as well as yourself?
I’m sure you do but the benefit to both yourself individual,y and to society as a whole outweigh the deaths and injuries caused by driving.
People arguing against lockdown restrictions is not about going to the pub or wanting a holiday. It is about keeping millions of people (and that is just in the UK) in employment and earning a living. Judging by some of the economic predictions com8ng out in the last day or so, things are going to get quite messy by the end of November once furlough officially ends and businesses give up trying to stay open over the winter.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 28-10-20 8:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DanishRider wrote:
How did you conclude that? My statement was: I doubt the vaccines will remove Covid-19 from the face of the earth.
OK, do you think that a vaccination programme with one or more vaccines will allow us to gain control of the virus so that the level of infection doesn’t spiral out of control and the number of people who get ill, and the number who die will be at levels which are acceptable (as they are with flu)?
latest report
@boobleblooble, your figures are incorrect. The death rate from Covid is currently running between 1 and 4%, not 0.1%. I'm far more inclined to trust the opinions of highly educated scientists than a keyboard warrior. As you were.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 28-10-20 9:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
OK, do you think that a vaccination programme with one or more vaccines will allow us to gain control of the virus so that the level of infection doesn’t spiral out of control and the number of people who get ill, and the number who die will be at levels which are acceptable (as they are with flu)?

Do you have any evidence supporting that?
ski holidays
DanishRider wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean? I asked a question, I didn’t make a statement.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boobleblooble wrote:

As I've already said: C19 has a survival rate of 99.9% across the population.

Repeatedly saying it doesn’t make it true. It was wrong last time you said it, and it’s wrong now. The IFR is between 0.5% and 1%, so about 5-10x what you claim. You also claim to work in the NHS so should know the information you’re imparting is highly misleading.

For example, the 60% that you claim wasn’t breached is because the baseline number of ventilated beds went from just over 4,000 to 6,800 by repurposing every possible other bed. I.e. most operating theatres and recovery beds were taken out of service and repurposed for Covid. In addition, the geographic spread wasn’t consistent, and 30% of hospitals hit 100% capacity at any one point. In addition, the ambulance system was swamped and so here was minimal capacity for inter-hospital transfers.

The basic choice if we don’t lockdown is either we let people with COVID die, or we let people without COVID die. The doctors and nurses I know were completely swamped in the first wave, there was no spare capacity in our region, and people were working in awful conditions.
snow report
haggishunter wrote:
@boobleblooble, the only further point I’ll add is this, it’s not about the risk to YOU, it’s the risk you may unknowingly pose to everyone who happens to be around you.

That you can’t or won’t grasp that makes you are an ASS. Arrogant, Selfish, Stupid.

Well, you've arrived on forum and straight in to tell everyone what they should believe, well those that offer a contrasting opinion to your own. Unable to marshal competent powers of persuasion to place you point of view, resort to juvenile name calling deployed with the shrill hysteria of a paranoic outlook.

Does it represent your views very well, or are you comfortable projecting yourself in such a way?

Looks like a slave account of Valkyrie Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean? I asked a question, I didn’t make a statement.

Well - i asked you a question! I have no idea about what the vaccines do, and what the impact will be either, and i don’t claim to be an expert - but for measles it didn’t remove it from planet Earth, and i doubt it will be the case with Covid-19 - but What are your opinion ?
snow report
haggishunter wrote:
boyanr wrote:
If lockdown really worked as supposed to, the "dramatic fall" would happen in 2 weeks time, not in 2 months

That's just not the case because of the length of incubation period, plus the fact even people who get full symptoms are infectious before they develop, so even under the spring lockdown rules there is scope for some community transmision. It is also the case that once one member of a household gets Covid, it is virtually inevitable that it works its way through the whole household over time. From infection to symptoms can take two weeks, from symptoms to severe enough symptoms for hospital admissions can be another 10 days to 2 weeks, so there are a lot of lags involved.

Which is exactly what I am saying - even with a lockdown, the virus continues to be passed along, between household members, neighbours, when you go to the groceries, or when you go to work as a massive amount of people still have to go to work to provide electricity, food, etc. So lock down does not stop the virus (at least not in the european version) - it barely slows it down by a fraction, and even that is only temporary and the virus wins its share back eventually - Sweden had 7 deaths yesterday and UK had 350. So the question is - is the huge economic and psychological effect of a lockdown justified? Is worth to live in fear and panic or it is better to be able to go skiing, with your family, skipping the apres ski and massive drinking and thus be just as safe as you would be at home and going to work?

DanishRider wrote:
But the Symptoms that you and some others appears to experience , is actually the same that people hit by Influenza experience i some years.

No only that, but as I wrote earlier - a study of the SARS epidemic found out that a lot of deaths and long term effects were cause by the drugs used by the doctors. None of those drugs are used now with covid, but in spring a lot of other drugs with huge side effects were applied on a wide scale (and still are in some countries) and I would not be surprised if that is behing the long term symptoms suffered by some.

Not to mention that one of the biggest cause of "symptoms" in life is stress and anxiety and the way the media is presenting this whole thing is causing nothing but widespread panic and fear.
ski holidays
DanishRider wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

Well - i asked you a question! I have no idea about what the vaccines do, and what the impact will be either, and i don’t claim to be an expert - but for measles it didn’t remove it from planet Earth, and i doubt it will be the case with Covid-19 - but What are your opinion ?
Do you think the only measure of success of a vaccine (or a combination of vaccines) is to completely eradicate the virus from the Earth? I only ask as that seemed the implication of your earlier statement about Covid vaccines, and I was wondering when you said that you therefore thought that we shouldn’t bother with vaccines, and should give up hope that they will do any good.
latest report
boyanr wrote:
... it barely slows it down by a fraction ...
I think that statement is without any basis in fact.

If you think that lockdown does not drive down the spread of infection far enough, or for long enough, do you think that we should give up or do you think that we should have a more severe lockdown?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
[Do you think the only measure of success of a vaccine (or a combination of vaccines) is to completely eradicate the virus from the Earth?

I thought the UK was officially "measles free" since 2017, according to the WHO. So it seems the measles vaccine has been pretty successful.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
boyanr wrote:

If you think that lockdown does not drive down the spread of infection far enough, or for long enough, do you think that we should give up or do you think that we should have a more severe lockdown?

Quite. Over here it seems lockdown (properly implemented lockdown, not the UK's drips and drabs and too late version) bought us 5-6 months. Seems like there are reasonable prospects of an effective vaccine within another 5-6 months.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
I thought the UK was officially "measles free" since 2017, according to the WHO. So it seems the measles vaccine has been pretty successful.
There are a few hundred measles cases each year in the UK, and over the last 20 year there have been one or two deaths from it, but overall vaccination against measles has been wildly successful (unless your yardstick is total eradication, and nothing else is acceptable).
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
boyanr wrote:

I gave the facts earlier - the full lockdowns in Spain, UK or France limited the timespan of the wave to about 2 months. No lockdown in Sweden had a 3 month wave. All of the first 3 countries have a higher death toll per million, albeit the lockdowns. I am fully aware these numbers need much bigger investigation to take into account plenty of other factors. But it does look like lockdown is not the main factor.

I.e. in my country we have had zero measures between may and about a week ago when they started reintroducing some. Within those 4 months the infection/death rates were going up and down constantly. We had a spike in july for example, and then almost zero cases for weeks in august when nothing had changed. This is just how viruses generally behave - in waves that come and go.

As for your other question - what do you mean by "give up"? Give up what? If you mean we have to give up massive parties, apres ski, and the ability to queue without distance, yes I think we should give up that and keep the rest of our lives sane.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Quite. Over here it seems lockdown (properly implemented lockdown, not the UK's drips and drabs and too late version) bought us 5-6 months. Seems like there are reasonable prospects of an effective vaccine within another 5-6 months.
Exactly right. Not only does it buy time for a vaccine, it also buys time for the development of better therapeutic treatments and strategies, and a broader understanding of the virus and its effects overall. That’s one of the key reasons why our death rate in the UK is so much improved in the second wave of the outbreak.

Saying that lockdowns don’t work is a nonsense.
latest report
davidof wrote:

But only due (AIUI) to a continuing and fairly comprehensive juvenile vaccination program. Give that up and measles parties here we go again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy