Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2020/2021 a non starter?

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:
Many folks joked or tried to silence me on my prediction for 2020/21

I will be proved Righth..

STAY AT HOME

Wa-hoo-ha-ha, it's all about meeee.

I will take over the world as Troll in supreme residence.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@queenie pretty please, @SkiingQuinHat, The daily news feeds I'm reading are saying that cases are on the rise in Austria and its worsening, same as most of western Europe - each to their own but i'd suggest based on what we know now travelling to a known area of infection for a ski holiday, queuing up, sharing lifts, and supermarkets/ restaurants isn't going to be that great an experience. Personally i've invested too much time avoiding CV-19 (last 7 months since being evacuated out of St Anton on 13th March and then getting home with pretty bad symptoms) i'm not interested in what the government is telling me in either Austria or UK, I'll be making my own assessment of risk and whether it's the sort of holiday I want even if they say it's safe to go (which I think is pretty unlikely). If they pull a vaccine out of the hat then happy days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, I get that, but there is no indication that Austria is going to close the ski areas just because the Brits cannot travel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, there was no feckin indication that all the French ski resorts would close on Sat March 8th even on the Thursday prior!!!

I'll never forget the announcement in the bar that "that's all folks" and four hours later that was the end of the season!

We stupidly thought no big deal we can still ski-tour but they banned that a couple of days later too.

Not too sure what they'll do about ski touring this time around if resorts were to close Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

Not too sure what they'll do about ski touring this time around if resorts were to close Puzzled

Don't have an accident if you do as all emergency beds are currently full, or nearly.

If they do lock down in France in November that might reset things for the Christmas holidays, although I doubt they want to go back to another crisis in January.

French cabinet is meeting on Wednesday so we'll know more soon.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-10-20 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, I get that too, don't forget the Belgians, Dutch, Germans, Polish, French and Czech folks though, they may not be travelling in great numbers too - perhaps resorts may have to reduce what's open though based on reduced headcount to do the prep and employ lifties in reduced numbers. Could just be an epic winter for the locals.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
Could just be an epic winter for the locals.

I think Stanton is right, they won't open the ski lifts for just a few locals, they'd do better to shutter the resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
Could just be an epic winter for the locals.

I think Stanton is right, they won't open the ski lifts for just a few locals, they'd do better to shutter the resorts.

We've seen that over here in the UK, easier to shut down the whole pub & claim the allowances then stay open and lose money.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Ideal time to get the skins out then for the locals - hope it doesn't come to that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, I think the situation is a lot different now. For a start the infection rates may be higher now, although it's hard to compare due to the different testing rates. But the important factor is that more is now known about the virus, how it spreads and how to treat it. What the Austrian government (and probably most other EU governments) is trying to do now is to work out how to slow infection rates without closing the economy. Sweden managed it earlier in the year but with a higher death rate than some other countries. Getting the message across to people to keep a safe distance, wear masks, wash hands regularly and avoid touching your face with unwashed hands seems to have been forgotten. But keeping the economy open is just as important as lowering infection rates. Closing all ski areas for the season would be economic harm that would last for decades. The health minister suggests that a vaccination programme will be underway in the spring, so a temporary limited lockdown in November followed by a stricter campaign of masks, social distancing and hygiene seems to be the favoured route to manage the situation until then. Outdoor exercise will continue to be encouraged, as it has been throughout the crisis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@davidof, Ideal time to get the skins out then for the locals - hope it doesn't come to that.

if it is allowed - the problem with "dangerous" sports is they may be banned like last spring in France to stop people ending up in casualty.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski3 wrote:
Pastorius wrote:
stanton seems to be making a sport of doomsaying, actually cheers me up when I read a post and feel down then notice who actually wrote it!

You've got it right on that, just trolling from that account.

Have you looked at the originating author of this thread? It's just a cynical fomenting of antagonism.

I read his post without looking who the author was when I looked I wasnt surprised who wrote it, I'm not sure if he is a troll or just a miserable bug but must be a sad way to live
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queenie pretty please wrote:
........ exercise will continue to be encouraged, as it has been throughout the crisis.

Not if you happened to be in France, Italy or Spain!

In France for over 8 weeks we were not allowed out for more than an hour or one km from our home!

Hopefully we'll never have a repeat of that, but the current curfew is not exactly inspiring confidence that those times will not return, and yes the concern of not being able to ski tour again would then be a distinct possibility.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@queenie pretty please, there was no feckin indication that all the French ski resorts would close on Sat March 8th even on the Thursday prior!!!

I'll never forget the announcement in the bar that "that's all folks" and four hours later that was the end of the season!
LOL, U were mugged mate! Laughing Was it a 'friend' that told you that it was all over on the 8th? Check they're social media to see if they were skiing without you for the following week Wink
We all were! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
queenie pretty please wrote:
........ exercise will continue to be encouraged, as it has been throughout the crisis.

Not if you happened to be in France, Italy or Spain!

In France for over 8 weeks we were not allowed out for more than an hour or one km from our home!

Hopefully we'll never have a repeat of that, but the current curfew is not exactly inspiring confidence that those times will not return, and yes the concern of not being able to ski tour again would then be a distinct possibility.

This weekend for the French Alps
ski holidays
When you see Sainsbury’s in Wales saying tampons for women are not essential you know either those in power
latest report
Continued: have lost the plot or there is more to this virus we are not being told.
Any medical folks on here would like to add their HONEST opinion or knowledge of the situation??
snow conditions
If I have to cancel my skiing for this season, then I am simply going to double my budget and skiing time for next season. That would open up some very interesting possibilities. I always enjoy planning my skiing trips. (Small comfort, I know - but I'll take what I can get at the moment).
ski holidays
It’s a load of b@//oks, we are being played
ski holidays
@susieski, For what/who's benefit?
latest report
Where is the combined internal attack or redress on China? Their economy is thriving.
Something VERY wrong
latest report
@admin, yes got that wrong, silly old me, one week out.

You guys got out of Dodge in the nick of time Laughing

Twas 55 days of lock-down March 15th to May 11th - 55 days though the 1hr 1km restriction was brought in I think a couple of weeks after that, but either way was no cycling as well!

And as @davidof, says could be on the cards again with Macron having numerous meetings to see what further restrictions are required.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 26-10-20 20:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
susieski wrote:
Where is the combined internal attack or redress on China? Their economy is thriving.
Something VERY wrong

I've got no idea what you're talking about and I suspect neither have you.
latest report
The fact that a lot of us have cancelled our time in the mountains is one thing. The knock on effect for every business; the owners, the cleaners, the shops, the suppliers; everyone employed and employing. Not only the ski industry
snow report
@Markymark29, I don’t disagree with your concerns. - but think there are two different topics:
1. Will the resorts be open/available for UK to ski in
2. Is it safe based on one’s own criteria.

The discussion I thought was more whether this was going to be taken out of our hands under 1 that would make 2 a moot point.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, nobody knows that’s the problem. There is so much BS; rules and regulations one day, u turned the next day. Seems be be no cohesive universal plan for this so called pandemic. Is there any wonder the general population are suspicious or sceptical about this whole situation
ski holidays
@susieski, if you’d just accept that there is a pandemic, not a “so called pandemic” then you might understand why globally there’s no cohesive universal plan. China managed to suppress transmission very quickly because they didn’t have idiots questioning the existence of the virus and actively undermining measures to contain it. Can you explain your plan to attack China, I’m sure that will be entertaining.
latest report
@susieski, I don't think the general population are suspicious or sceptical about this whole situation, just a few idiots (including Trump supporters which is more than a few Smile ).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@queenie pretty please, there was no feckin indication that all the French ski resorts would close on Sat March 8th even on the Thursday prior!!! Puzzled

Austria the same, i know someone who had 2 days of skiing then everything shut up shop.
ski holidays
I think each individual will have to weigh up risk vs reward. I've booked Austria for late January, I'm 76 now and running short of ski time. If the corridor is open I'll go. I perceive the only increase in risk compared to UK life is the flight. I think the risks are manageable with appropriate precautions for the flights. My life cannot be put on hold indefinitely and am quite happy to quarantine on my return.Ski on!
ski holidays
Gendarnes in Tignes tonorrow checking for full Covid masks and dustancing. If they're not haooy- it closes.
Anyone seen thw Inghans ad doing the rounds for 2021-22?
Skiing is pretty much dead til we get a vaccine
snow conditions
susieski wrote:
When you see Sainsbury’s in Wales saying tampons for women are not essential you know either those in power
It was a mistake by one store that blocked off the aisle
ski holidays
skivor wrote:
I think each individual will have to weigh up risk vs reward. I've booked Austria for late January, I'm 76 now and running short of ski time. If the corridor is open I'll go. I perceive the only increase in risk compared to UK life is the flight. I think the risks are manageable with appropriate precautions for the flights. My life cannot be put on hold indefinitely and am quite happy to quarantine on my return.Ski on!

Problem is: you may be quite happy to quarantine on return, but others are not .
snow report
@achilles, I’m going to invest my time this winter doing things I wouldn’t normally do so this massive ball-ache situation is turned into an opportunity!
snow conditions
When the influenza epidemic hits it usually lasts for about 8 weeks from start of rise in cases to decline back to low levels. Covid develops a bit slower so let's say 10-12 weeks until the current wave passes on its own. It started around early october so within november it should peak and gradually decline over december, no matter the measures taken by governments. In spring we saw that those measures don't really work anyway. So be more optimistic - there will be ski opportunities this winter, might not be the most convenient, but there will be. And those that have local skiing might actually have a really great season with less crowds etc
latest report
@SkiingQuinHat, re your comment above - I see no evidence yet that resorts will close, to the contrary they are bigging the season up, but they would wouldn’t they? So point 1 is clearly out of our hands (and ultimately potentially theirs), all will become clearer in the next few weeks I guess.

Point 2 comes into play however only if governments allow U.K. citizens to travel, and then a risk assessment by the individual families will take place to see if they are comfortable and the benefits outweigh the risk. One persons risk threshold is different to any others, many will likely have decided already it’s simply not worth the likely hassle re travel and in resort.

Both are conjecture right now we’ll wait and see how it develops, but in the meantime I don’t see much point booking anything concrete.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 27-10-20 9:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
boyanr wrote:
10-12 weeks until the current wave passes on its own... In spring we saw that those measures don't really work anyway

err... COVID passes on its own? And the lockdowns had no effect? Are you trying to say that the dramatic fall in cases in every country that locked down (whether implicitly or explicitly) would have happened anyway? And the subsequent rise in cases when lockdown was lifted is unconnected?

Good recent Nature article on the "False promise of herd immunity" https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4

I'm increasingly pessimistic about skiing this winter, to the extent of looking at alternatives for Xmas now, despite having skied at Xmas for about 25 years.
snow report
boyanr wrote:
In spring we saw that those measures don't really work anyway.
What's your definition of "work" in this context?
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
skivor wrote:

Problem is: you may be quite happy to quarantine on return, but others are not .

And that would equally apply to all the irresponsible people who party and spread it in the UK. One cannot control an individual's behaviour and neither can the government whatever measures are taken. As I said it is a personal decision.
ski holidays
If lockdown really worked as supposed to, the "dramatic fall" would happen in 2 weeks time, not in 2 months, as 2 weeks is enough to block the transmission chain. The effect of lockdowns is visible when compared with countries with no lockdown - in Sweden wave 1 was ~3 months, instead of 2 months.

As even in regular life (no lockdown) people spend most of the time in the same circle (family, school group, the room in the office, close friends), as the virus infects those mini clusters it needs opportunities to "leap" from cluster to cluster, but as some of the clusters get immunity transmission is delayed as the "leap" does not work as effective. And yes, of course herd imminuty works, how else do you think we eradicated smallpox - a disease many times more contagious than covid?

Btw doctors are treating the disease differently now and this is reflected in much lesser mortality rates at the moment. It also seems there will be at least 2 vaccines by december, so medical staff and risk groups can get vaccinated which will dramatically increase the health systems capacity for proper treatment of complications.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy