Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Every Cloud has a silver lining

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skanky, thanks, although I'm not sure that 'We play in green, let's call ourselves after an insect.' is good enough, frankly (although it worked for Wasps).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wheely, I am very jealous. I spent the last few days of my honeymoon in Geneva and it was a beautiful place - and that was summer!!!

I have an Aunt who lives out there and works for some UN type body. She tells me that there are lots of international UN type people who live in Geneva which is where it gets a lot of its cosmopolitan feel from, also lots of bankers there.

What she does tell me is that the quality of life is fantastic. Public services are extremely good and you have all that amazing countryside on your doorstep!

I'm waiting for my company to open an office in Geneva and then I'll be there with you like a shot!

My advice would be to grab it with both hands and don't let go!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

p.s. the skiing is quite reasonable around there I hear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, apparently they used to be a rugby club and were started by an Englishman. The [/url=http://www.gcz.ch/index.php?id=6]official site[/url] says:

Quote:
Wieso "Grasshopper"?

Für den Namen Grasshopper (Grashüpfer) gibt es verschiedene Deutungen. Die glaubwürdigste Erklärung besteht jedoch darin, dass die GC-Pioniere im sportlichen Wettkampf auf Gras und Wiesen herumrennen und -hüpfen wollten.

Which (very) roughly means:

Quote:
For the name grass hopper (grass hop) gives it different interpretations. The most reliable explanation consists however of the fact that the office pioneers in the sporty match wanted to run and hop on grass and meadows.

Interestingly the official site makes no obvious mention of rugby (my poor German not withstanding).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skanky wrote:
richmond, ... He'd actually have to play for Servette who are Geneva's team.

A city the size of Geneva and they only have one football team rolling eyes (still one too many mind...)

mike.healy, we had no problems finding the Swiss car hire return - only problem was, we were looking for the French side!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, skisimon, come to think about it maybe it was the French side that I hired from...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, well only one professional team.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wheely,

As per the others: Go For It - it will look good on the CV, the Kids will stand a great chance of becoming bi-lingual (which is becoming far more of a differentiator and an essential for top jobs in the global economy) and there are worse places than Geneva.

I used to commute to Zurich once a week, but spent occasional working days in GVA, as well as having aunt/uncle/cousins living there for 20 years (Le Vaud - just up the Northern shore of the lake, next to Nyons). Geneva is not as 'typically' Swiss as other places, and always seemed to have a quieter night life than Zurich - but that may be because I was more familiar with the latter. The UN presence and x-pat community also offer opportunities to integrate slowly - you don't necessarily need to "immerse" yourself from day 1 if that is a concern (but they do appreciate you speaking French, I found them possibly more parochial than other parts of the country / mainland - and computers will come with French keyboards...).
Price differentials to the UK are a lot less than they used to be, certainly no more than London now for eating out (of course the posh bits will always be pricer than the slighly more down-at-heel areas, but it was ever thus in any major city!).

Depending on the package from the company, I would suggest seriously looking at renting in CH (rather than buying) and keeping your UK property, letting though an agency if you can afford it: - since from the sound of it you are moving for a job not a lifestyle change, its not like you need to deliberately burn your bridges to make you make it work.
Having the option to return to a family place in the UK is always comforting, and financially astute. Also, as no doubt ise and co will tell you, buying in CH is fraught with potential legal variances from what you may be used to in the UK.

Hey: good luck whatever choice you make.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

As Geneva is on the French border there might be benifts to living a few Km down the road in France and commuting.

That's what one of my friends does - got a job in Geneva and commutes from France, so it's obviously possible and has some benefits.

Lucky you is all I can say!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Go go go- sounds like a fab opportunity!!

Incidently, dont think they'd let me live in Swisseyland- I hit a whole row of plastic barrier/ cone things when attempting to drive in from the french side ( it was early on in the season, I hadnt quite got the hang of left hand drives) they werent very happy, infact they were pretty angry. But other than that- wahoo!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen101 wrote:
Quote:

As Geneva is on the French border there might be benifts to living a few Km down the road in France and commuting.

That's what one of my friends does - got a job in Geneva and commutes from France, so it's obviously possible and has some benefits.

Lucky you is all I can say!

Yeah I worked with someone who did that. Not sure of the issues with work permits such if you do. But it does mean you stay living in the EU which may provide some benefits (or costs).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy