Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thought experiment -- Will you go skiing if...

Poster: A snowHead
rambotion wrote:
... (although I do think that manflu is a ridiculous and pathetic term) ...
It was a joke.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rambotion, too true.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

...there isn't a lockdown order, and you're able to reach some snow (and hypothetically speak, lifts running)

Also,

a) Knowing the virus is around so you may potentially get it.
b) Knowing there may or may not be sufficient medical facility depending on when and where you fall sick
c) Knowing if you have any "at risk" person in your home, they may not make it alive if they catch it

This is likely to be the situation for the 20/21 season - so yes we will go, this scenario is, as soon as lockdown is eased, going to be the new normal. Once travel restrictions are eased, and campsites etc re-=opened we still hope to go cycle touring later this summer - we really don't want to turn our lives off for any longer than we have to - even at the cost of higher risk to health. My parents are both in their late 80s with various serious health issues, and we have gone away for months at a time knowing full well they may not survive until we return - but again we cannot stay at home just in case one dies this year rather than next.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bodeswell wrote:

Colds that resulted in fever and a persistent cough, that took weeks to clear. It also included a fair number of female acquaintances.

That would be bird-flu then?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anyway I'm off out, I've just received my stealth suit through the post

http://youtube.com/v/mz6LxnwjXdE
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
countryman wrote:
Anyway I suspect people without an antigen certificate will be banned from travel and a lot else in due course. As a friend remarked we will probably then be having coronaparties....
If there is more and more talk of an antigen certificate I think it will be impossible for the government to maintain the lockdown. .

And the cruel irony of those who have most obeyed lockdown and been good citizens being denied freedom for longer than the more reckless is hardly a precedent for future compliance....

Anyway back to the original post - this year/season nope. Probably won't be doing anything that involves mixing with larger groups of people. Next season who knows? Lots can happen daily between now and then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once enough have had this virus its spread will be no worse than flu or the common cold, once we have had it we will get at least some immunity as we do flu.
Its anyones guess at the moment as to whether it mutates and if it does if it becomes weaker or more virulent, most experts say viruses tend to mutate to weaker strains but the opposite might happen, we will learn to live with it either way
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a) yes;
b) yes;
c) no.

Except amend a and b because I fall into c anyway (at risk enough, anyway).

Now that we've got well and truly panicked by the seriousness of this, I'm not sure that I'm prepared to go anywhere (certainly not that I can't drive to and from in a day, and not have to used shared toilets and other close proximity indoor stuff) until they've really understood a lot more about this virus and its transmission. Assuming that the little bggr hasn't significantly adversely mutated by then anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
...there isn't a lockdown order, and you're able to [do some living stuff]
b) Knowing there may or may not be sufficient medical facility depending on when and where you fall sick
c) Knowing if you have any "at risk" person in your home, they may not make it alive if they catch it
...Would you go?
As someone said, the virus isn't going away anytime soon, so this is more of a question for the
whole planet: shall we cower in our homes until the bog roll runs out, or shall we eventually go out and take those risks.

I think we'll be taking the risks, but we have a choice precisely when and how we do that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
... there isn't a lockdown order, and you're able to reach some snow ...
Would you go?

Largely depends on whether I and those close to me have had the virus and so acquired some immunity.

For 2020/21: with immunity, yes; without, probably no, and little or no variation between a, b and c.
For 2021/22 and later I hope some form of vaccination is available, at least for those aged say 65+
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
when climbers turn back before the summit because the conditions are iffy, it is worth contemplating that the mountain will always be there. stay safe whatever you do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brandegg wrote:
when climbers turn back before the summit because the conditions are iffy, it is worth contemplating that the mountain will always be there. stay safe whatever you do.

That’s a good analogy. I always use that when I have to make a decision on an iffy day on my many outdoor activities.

But witness what’s been happening on the world’s high peaks like Everest, a good few people went on to the peak and never make it back.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
'Once enough have had this virus its spread will be no worse than flu or the common cold' Do we know this with any certainty at the moment?

'once we have had it we will get at least some immunity as we do flu.' I thought that herd immunity is achieved mainly through immunisation, not infection? Without immunisation, don't you just get cycles of repeat infection?

'we will learn to live with it either way' - Except for those who die. Until immunisation, that could be quite a lot of people.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, Don't be such a chicken. We've survived a lot worse than this without going all hysterical and hiding in caves.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LaForet,
I don't think very much is known about the virus and future immunity.
It is generally true though that exposure to viruses does produce either complete or partial immunity to further infections.
You can get herd immunity either through vaccination or infection.
snow report
If you are under 50 the odds are stacked so heavily in your favour i think it is overly-cautious not to return to normal life later. however it will be those nearest & dearest who are considered 'high risk' that will probably shape decisions, at least for the responsible amongst us, if there is no way to isolate after travelling for example.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy