Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

David Goldsmith -The Antichrist ?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, Rolf. I didn't realise this was boring you.
Let's talk boot buckles and ski cores.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Abominable snowHead, That wouldn't do, this is a ski forum, cock. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, What do you do off season?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
It seems that 'Rich JP' - Justice of the Piste, for sure - is saying that he's registered a genuine name on the SCGB forum. But he's not willing to reveal it here. What's the real reason for this skirt of anonymity?

David, I really don't understand what you're getting at. Richjp is as close to his real name as you are likely to get, why should he reveal it here? Very few people do use their real names here, apart of course from boredsurfin. Talking like this will only get people's backs up and doesn't do you any favours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Running, climbing, alpine. In fact summer footwear would describe it best. Starting doing a bit more golf and cycle alignment, headspin. I suppose you move into a freezer centre somewhere. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think people's user names reveal a lot about them. I chose mine, for example, as there's two of me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DavidS, how confusing for you. I hope you remember which one you are. Mine was 'given' to me by admin - I really should change it cos I don't really like it very much Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I snuggle up next to a fridge most nights, does that count wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy Coins wrote:
David, I really don't understand what you're getting at. Richjp is as close to his real name as you are likely to get, why should he reveal it here?

Well, I've given a couple of reasons above.
Another one could be called 'manners' !

It seems fine for people to use anonymity for genuine reasons - whistle-blowing, larking about, benign stuff. Using anonymity to attack others is quite another thing.

Do you agree that there's a tendency for internet forums to suffer from anonymous abuse, and that this can sometimes become hateful? It can even be psychologically and emotionally disturbing for schoolchildren etc.

Maybe we need to get to grips with this issue. snowHeads shouldn't be a 'survival' ordeal.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use pseudonym's online for basic security and safety. I use the same name on any forum that I am registered with (exept 1 which I chose Jolinar!!!)

I have long been warned not to use my real name because of the small minority of people on the net who use forums to stalk people or generally cause threat. I do not want people I don't know, to know where I live unless I chose to. My real surname is unusual enough for people to be able to work out where I live and that is something I don't want them to do. Hence I use a nick name.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annehillskiing, I think you're a perfect example of someone who doesn't abuse, and doesn't abuse anonymity. Good luck to you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well Said Anne Scrivenaireyhump
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Goldsmith, I am very confused, if anonymity is so bad, why are you posting under two identities? and if unpleasantness and defamation is not a good thing why accuse Mr RJP of "puking insults"?
That's it - too much for my brain - I am off to scamper somewhere stoatally different!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double posting - newbie mistake -weaselly made...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 21-04-06 14:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
Mr Goldsmith, I am very confused, if anonymity is so bad, why are you posting under two identities?

An interesting question, which no doubt will go unanswered Sad
latest report
Well, what my skizophrenic (sic) understudy said above was:
Quote:
It seems fine for people to use anonymity for genuine reasons - whistle-blowing, larking about, benign stuff. Using anonymity to attack others is quite another thing.

People have always used pseudonyms and anonymity in things like newspapers. Editors have traditionally demanded real IDs and addresses communicated to them prior to publishing anonymous letters.

That obviously isn't possible here, though site moderation is possible after the event.

This new medium, as we know, is extremely powerful. All I'm proposing is that personal attacks from anonymous and unidentified IDs are out of order. It sours the atmosphere and damages the forum, doesn't it?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
All I'm proposing is that personal attacks from anonymous and unidentified IDs are out of order. It sours the atmosphere and damages the forum, doesn't it?

Coming from The Abominable snowHead I find that incredibly ironic. If you think the use of unidentified IDs are out of order, why don't you start practising what you preach and give your alter ego a dignified funeral?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, my point was that calling your posts 'crap' may not be especially polite - but falls well within the bounds of normal debate.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, some of us have multiple lives (!) and need multiple online identities. As I've said before, I don't want business associates searching on my real name and finding a lot of drivel vaguely related to skiing!
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
All I'm proposing is that personal attacks from anonymous and unidentified IDs are out of order. It sours the atmosphere and damages the forum, doesn't it?

Coming from The Abominable snowHead I find that incredibly ironic. If you think the use of unidentified IDs are out of order, why don't you start practising what you preach and give your alter ego a dignified funeral?

He wouldn't dare
snow report
Sorry, I meant "I wouldn't dare".
snow report
Multiple logins cause problems - end of story.
snow report
I think DG's is a very good contributor to this MB. I don't understand the attacks on him or what may be behind them.
I generally rate each post on its merits as I perceive it, speak as you find sort of thing.

I think FTS's take on this is the right way IMV.

Paul Mason, agree about logins etc... I think it sneaky and can see the only reason is to have a slightly underhand purpose..
latest report
JT, I agree with what you, Masque, and FTS say - as long as you don't get involved in David's politics, he's indeed a very worthwhile contributor.
snow report
slikedges, here, here!
latest report
JT, Frosty the Snowman, slikedges, stevew, Absolutely! I happen to disagree frequently with David G's views, and his 'style' is sometimes too obtuse for my liking BUT this site would be poorer without him and he does listen (occasionally!) to input from others. (note how he bowed to requests to structure his inputs on 'news' to specific areas) .

As someone who couldn't spel skying 18 months ago , let alone even heard of the SCGB, I am dismayed at how some of its members seem to come here just to compound personal differences originating there. It does them ( nor the club to which they belong) any credit whatsoever. Indeed I would probably have joined that club ( as I do things like that ) if it were not for the 'input' from those peeps - and the fact that I now believe snowHead offers more to my liking.

I do wonder why Admin leaves this section up and running , very magnanimous of him; conversely he may just be demonstrating the failings in 'another place'. Twisted Evil
latest report
eEvans wrote:
............... I am dismayed at how some of its members seem to come here just to compound personal differences originating there. It does them ( nor the club to which they belong) any credit whatsoever. Indeed I would probably have joined that club ( as I do things like that ) if it were not for the 'input' from those peeps - and the fact that I now believe snowHead offers more to my liking.............

I think you'll find the SCGB member who come across and posts club business here is David himself, well knowing the upset he will cause Madeye-Smiley

FWIW I am disturbed about some aspects of the club that have arisen in the threads here - I still think the discussions would best have been kept on the club site - and am considering whether to renew my membership.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, I should have been more specific. Yes, DG should have kept his contentious SCGB stuff 'at home' ( although some is obviously just bringing general info to members attention) and this stuff has never made up the major part of his posts.

Others ( like yourself as I now understand , and Cathy Coins - by way of example) have never IIRC and AFAIK indicated their membership interests there.

The group that I was maligning are those ( some better known than others) who just come here to either fight with DG or argue the deity of the SCGB modus operandi, or other SCGB issues.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 22-04-06 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm glad to have DG back - his alter ego too! I don't know why people get wound up about multiple logins. It's the internet, and it's a little a bit different to things that have gone before.
ski holidays
Thanks for the kind comments above. May your gods go with you (to quote the late great Dave Allen), especially on black runs.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
I'm glad to have DG back - his alter ego too! I don't know why people get wound up about multiple logins. It's the internet, and it's a little a bit different to things that have gone before.

In general, I agree with you - - - but when DG and his alter ego contribute in the same thread I find it unsettling - especially coming from someone who has so passionately advocated the use of real usernames - at least on snowHeads. Dunno about elsewhere...

Why the Abominable one has risen to prominence while his owner was in decline recently is a matter for 'them' to resolve but it does smack of hypocrisy. I have been catching up on threads and rob@rar.org has raised this several times in the last couple of days - with about as much success as DG's attempts to clarify snowHeads copyright, archiving, Terms and Conditions and future ownership.

It is great have to DG contributing again from his personal fund of ski lore - now all we need his internet news-gathering function to resume normal service. Meanwhile we will play some soothing music and show you nice film of a potter's wheel.
latest report
Ian, you have a valid point and I apologise for the split personality.

There was a firestorm on a particular thread a couple of weeks back and I didn't feel comfortable contributing in my own name. You're correct that it goes against the grain to operate in another name (though Peter Sellers managed three in the movie Dr Strangelove) and I'm quite comfortable using a real name if people can reduce the heat a little. It's not necessary to attack people's honesty or character to discuss a subject and (as has been said so many times) it's best to imagine one's 'opponent' (wrong word, actually) face-to-face when talking on a forum like this.

We're discussing skiing here, not child custody or fitness to operate a nightclub.
snow report
David, fair enough. I guessed something had lit your personal blue touch paper so I retired to a safe distance for a few days.
By all means use a pseudonym if you feel it helps in any particular situation - - - but please not in the same thread as your real one and long after it has been exposed. A 'blown' cover is no use whatever and does nothing to support your serious debating.

Hey the potter's wheel has gone. Wonderful. What's on Children's TV today. wink
snow report
Prime Minister's Question Time
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
(as has been said so many times) it's best to imagine one's 'opponent' (wrong word, actually) face-to-face when talking on a forum like this.

I have never said anything on a message board, nor will I, that I would not say to that person in a face to face situation.

That is why a couple of days ago I offered to meet you face to face. That offer remains open. It's not a physical threat by the way.
latest report
Fight! Fight! Fight!
snow conditions
richjp, I offered to meet David too, but he never even replied to my PM.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 24-04-06 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Why don't all guys meet up for a beer, as you all seem to live in roughly the greater London area ?.
snow report
hibernia wrote:
Why don't all guys meet up for a beer, as you all seem to live in roughly the greater London area ?.

There's a clubhouse in Wimbledon.........................
snow report
boredsurfin, I was about to suggest the same thing, but there was no getting in before you.

On a serious note though, a pub meet-up for all those sH in the London area would probably be an excellent idea and may prevent people being so unpleasant in the future.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy