Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Need advice on some new skis. I've narrowed it down to two, That I think meets my needs and experience. One is the Black crows Camox, 97 underfoot. And the other is the Elan Ripstick 88.
Both of these sound very good with rave reviews from different ability skier's. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with either of these. I'm an intermediate level skier , but do like to push myself to progress. I'm Just under 6foot and 200lbs. So on the heavy side from weight lifting.
I'll mainly be skiing the resort, so no pure off piste deep powder. But I would like to be able to go off the sides, through the trees and make the most of fresh snow without getting bogged down or having to change skis, so am after one ski rather than two or three.
Thanks in advance for your advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those 2 skis are pretty different, how have you arrived at that shortlist? Aside from 10mm difference in waist the ripsticks are much softer. I wouldn't really be looking at those for a big guy.

Camox are a good all mountain ski, I ski the slightly wider navis as a day to day ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is helpful though. I only thought they were of a similar style of all rounder ski rather than a stiff piste, hard charger. But yes that was my concern about either having not quite enough backbone due to no Titanium etc.
With your experience with the crows. Are they a stiffer ski without loosing the fun factor, and a better around ski.
And apart from the slight difference between width, what made you choose the Navis over the Camox. Thanks for your reply
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought some experience 84ai last week used them for the first time yesterday , today was a snowy day and very quite around the area, finished today very wet due to rain this afternoon but with a big smile on my face, they float through the crud and are very secure on the flat, well chuffed with them, apart from the fact that my mrs now wants some new ones
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool thanks. Well Worth considering
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also try the Nordica Enforcers (& Enforcer Free's for a more off piste bias). I just replaced my very old model with the 104 Free's and my god, they are an amazing ski both on and off piste. Fairly stiff but not a full charger, much more playful and in my length of 179cm a 17.5m radius makes them very nimble on piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Maxgun, with regards to the Experience 84 named above. I'm a big guy too and I would not recommend you go with anything Rossignol. You'll snap them. They're just too bendy.

Honestly my advice is TEST TEST TEST. Go to resort, hire something in your criteria range. Spend a day, maybe two on it. And repeat. You should be able to do 4 or 5 sets in a week and if you let the shop know you're in the market to buy, they'll (a) be fine with it and (b) probably give you half decent ones so they're showing off good quality stock.

Testing them that close together, in the same resort, should give you a really good indicator of what brands, shapes and sizes are working for you and what doesn't. Furthermore, I've found that having now tested probably 30 pairs of skis in the last 5 years, once I'm warmed up for the week I can test a ski in a 3-hour lap of the resort because I know what I'm looking for and how to find it.

Trying to buy skis based on what works for other people is an impossible task. Everyone is different and the only possible way to find your perfect ski is to find your perfect ski, physically. Not try to take a punt based on how many other people think it's theirs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really like my camox 2018(red and twin tip version), I found it pretty easy to adapt. I’ve played with the freebird version too and although not as fun also good. It does very well on piste including for carving but I still have my carver if carving is my focus. I’m 5 10 and got the 181cm version - probably a bit longer than usual but suited me well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy