Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed skiing world records smashed in Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar.org.uk, Next time I'm doing 130 kph I'll get my youngest to hang out the window and tell me what he thinks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Next time I'm doing 130 kph I'll get my youngest to hang out the window and tell me what he thinks.

Make sure you hang on to his feet!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, yes, one chap died on his way to the start gate whilst carrying his speed skis on his shoulder. He slipped and slid down hill hitting his head on some rocks, dying of head injuries. According to Simone a similar accident occured in Canada resulting in the withdrawal of speed skiing from the Olympic games. 2 competitors have died so far but neither accidents occured on the track. Simone was particularly aggrieved as the decision to exclude speed skiing an the olympic games robbed him of the oppertunity to participate in the games and as it appears an olympic gold medal!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oops, excuse the spelling Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="PP"]rob@rar.org.uk, yes, one chap died on his way to the start gate whilst carrying his speed skis on his shoulder. He slipped and slid down hill hitting his head on some rocks, dying of head injuries. According to Simone a similar accident occured in Canada resulting in the withdrawal of speed skiing from the Olympic games. 2 competitors have died so far but neither accidents occured on the track.

That sounds like a really freak accident. Although as I mentioned earlier there are some tricky bumps to negotiate to get to the start, it is not a place where you would expect a fall to be life threatening.

Speed skiing has never been an official Olympic event. In Les Arcs in 1992 it was a so called "demonstration event". Demonstration events which also happen in the summer Olympics, are events which usually the host nation includes to try and get them officially adopted in the future. In the case of speed skiing that is hardly practical as there are only a few venues in the world, about three I think, that have an appropriate speed sking course.

As the 1992 Olympics were held throughout the Tarentaise area over about ten resorts, it just gave the locals the chance to include speed skiing because Les Arcs was already one of the established venues.

In 1992 the one fatality happened on the fourth and final day of the event, when one of the competitors was warming up on piste - yes on piste - before the pistes were opened to the public. He apparently went over a brow and straight into a piste basher - another freak accident. I never did hear the outcome of the inquiry.

The event itself was relatively accident free. I think one competitor was helicoptered to hospital but that I think was more of a precaution than anything else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richjp, there's been a number of lengthy threads on this topic, including one on the Italian who died here last year. We've just had a memorial for Marco in Les Arcs.

The thread describes how it happened, and the fact that a number of kids from the Les Arcs ski club actually witnessed it from the Varet. Horrific.

Here is the original thread
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG - thank you for the link.

The factor I had not considered relating to the accident was the fact that his speed skiing suit meant that once he fell he accelerated very quickly. That makes a fall on the initial traverse to get to the course, far more potentially dangerous than it would be for a decent recreational skier in normal ski wear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some of the classic speed skiing courses (including ones where world records have been set) don't seem to be used any more.

The course near the Plateau Rosa above Cervinia and Zermatt had crevasse problems, I think.
Silverton in Colorado hasn't been used for quite a while.
Portillo in Chile, which has been Les Arcs' main rival over the years, doesn't seem to be staging speed events at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nae nae and thrice nae!!! Mad The "cushion of air" stuff is complete NONSENSE!!! It was a theory that was expounded repeatedly around the late 80's-early 90's but is utter garbage. The skis and skier, at high speed, are often skimming over the surface but they are NOT floating on a cushion of air. Everything does not "go quiet" either. There has been soooooo much nonsense spoken about speed skiing: tunnel vision, spiritual experience etc...but it really is just skiing...only FASTER than most people. There is no mystery...it's just great fun, easy to do...but deceptively tricky to be good at!!

I've been trying to ignore speed skiing for the last year because of Achilles tendon reconstructive surgery last summer...but am now preparing for next season. It was frustrating as hell to have been absent for the World Record race...but hopefully there'll be an opportunity next year.

Gladly answer any speed ski related questions anyone has...might be easier to start another thread.

And oh yes...the sky diving thing: The record for a sky diver is Mach 1; see link below: http://www.failuremag.com/arch_science_cheryl_stearns.html
...speed skiers are faster than free-falling sky-divers only when sky-divers are trying to go as slow as they can!

Great to see so much interest in speed skiing on here...and THANK YOU Peter for storing all my stuff last summer!!!

Cheers,

Nigel Brockton

[quote="richjp"]
Mike Lawrie wrote:

He explained a few things about speed skiing, then went on to say that at about 160 KPH the skis do indeed lift off the snow and you are floating on a cushion of air and the great sensation about it was, that after clattering down the mountain all of a sudden everything goes quiet! Image that - that must be one helluva buzz.

"How do you manage to steer?" I asked.

"With your head". He replied.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrBullet, welcome to snowHeads - great first post! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrBullet, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead Is this you? Are you sure you don't have to be just a little bit mad to be a speed skier? wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No problem Nigel Very Happy - and hope to see you again next April, I bet you regretted missing out on such ideal conditions last month.

The man himself in 2005 at Les Arcs ...

click for full size

Did you hear how well Tom had done on borrowed production skis? Over 200 kph...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes! Top banana! I've offered to help kit him out if he wants to make the transition to full-KL kit. He's after the production WR first though...good on him! A couple of seasons of production will stand him in great stead if he wants to go on to do full-KL. I was texting Tom while the race was unfolding...knowing that I wasn't going to make it.
Great to have someone younger coming through...anyone else fancy it???!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
DrBullet, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead Is this you? Are you sure you don't have to be just a little bit mad to be a speed skier? wink Very Happy

Yes, that's me. No, you don't have to be mad...just "confident". It's much less scary than it looks ...especially when you've been doing it for 17 years!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrBullet wrote:
It's much less scary than it looks ...

You're going to have to work a bit harder to persuade me!
ski holidays
Had a go at the flying K way back in 1987. In those days it cost 30ff a go and all they provided was a helmet and a disclaim form. I don't know about these days, but at that time the flying k had 3 starting stages; Novice, Intermediate, Advanced. As PG mentioned earlier, us mere tourists weren't given the option to start from the advanced block. But the race Marshal took one look at me and started me from the novice block and advised me to just point my ski tips down and don't look up until you reach the bottom. I managed to clock up 117.647kph on a pair of 85 cm Blizzard skis, wearing Nordica Pump Action ski boots and a one piece Rodeo Ski Suit. It was a fantastic experience and there is a very generous run-off at the bottom of the run. On completion you are given a certificate recording your time. Which I have attempted to upload it on to this post - but to no avail. Any advice, anyone? But I have to admit, the most scariest part was having to negotiate a wicked Black Run to reach the flying K.
snow report
Stephen Neal wrote:
I managed to clock up 117.647kph on a pair of 85 cm Blizzard skis,

85cm or 185cm? If you got to 118kph on a pair of blades I'd say that's some acheivement! Wink
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, well spotted Embarassed I mean't 185cm..
snow report
Stephen Neal wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, well spotted Embarassed I mean't 185cm..

Pretty impressive regardless of ski length Smile
ski holidays
A few of us(very unofficially)skied the K at last years bash.The 'proper' stuff had finished and they were clearing the bits at the top...so we sort of dodged in and went down rolling eyes Brave chap that I am,I didnt straight line it till I was at least 1/2 way down,and that was fast enough!No1 son,apparantly,put in a couple of turns and then went.Asked him afterwards,"how was it"?......"Very fast,but I couldn't see a thing!".He picked up so much vibration that his eyeballs rattled and he couldnt focus until he slowed on the run out Shocked
And he wants to do it again,on the right skis!!!!!!!
snow report
snowskisnow wrote:
A few of us(very unofficially)skied the K at last years bash.The 'proper' stuff had finished and they were clearing the bits at the top...so we sort of dodged in and went down rolling eyes Brave chap that I am,I didnt straight line it till I was at least 1/2 way down,and that was fast enough!No1 son,apparantly,put in a couple of turns and then went.Asked him afterwards,"how was it"?......"Very fast,but I couldn't see a thing!".He picked up so much vibration that his eyeballs rattled and he couldnt focus until he slowed on the run out Shocked
And he wants to do it again,on the right skis!!!!!!!

Tell him to give me a bell...we're always looking for new recruits!
snow report
Ahhh! Success at last... Here's the cert. I failed to post earlier Smile

snow report
DrBullet wrote:
Tell him to give me a bell...we're always looking for new recruits!

I really should try to get the Les Arcs Ski Club to give it a go more often when the run is open. Can't understand why they rarely bother. It's a couple of years now since they sent down the then 11/12 year old "Children 1" group on their GS skis from the intermediate start, and they loved it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy