Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Great Alpine Exodus

Poster: A snowHead
I, along with many others, am planning my return to the UK. My preference would be to remain here in Tignes but unfortunately that's not a practical option. My partner is unable to join me. I don't own property here and the £ is tanking against the €.

Back to the matter in hand. I'm just thinking that the Snowheads community can be a useful source of info reference return travel. Talk of Borders closing. A possible announcement this evening about 2 French regions going into some form of lock-down. Anyone encountering any practical issues? Hotels enroute at the moment seem to taking bookings.

Thoughts anyone?

edit, I'm driving back and have a ferry booked from Zeebrugge to Hull.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have to drive back once we have finished transfer driving (evacuating Chamonix). Will also be keen to hear of issue, or "it's no problem".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RobinS, I believe that one of the regions being considered for possible lock-down measures is Grand Est which includes Troyes, Reims and a stretch of the a26 hence my concern.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just moved my tunnel booking to tomorrow did it on line no problems lots of time slots to choose from
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got back, changed tunnel booking while driving up from Val D yesterday, very quiet at terminal this morning for the 8:50 shuttle. Booked Ibis hotel at terminal with no problem. Plenty fuel at the services and loads of food still in those as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did consider getting back to UK but my father isn't well and anything would kill him. So I'm sitting it out here. Once all the tourists have left it will be as safe as anywhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B wrote:
I did consider getting back to UK but my father isn't well and anything would kill him. So I'm sitting it out here. Once all the tourists have left it will be as safe as anywhere.

You'll be like the Omega Man
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I doubt auto-routes would be affected in any regional lockdown nor would they stop travellers transiting through. The Swiss lock down allows people who are transiting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
Just moved my tunnel booking to tomorrow did it on line no problems lots of time slots to choose from

I came back Sunday, booked tunnel Saturday for £107. On the journey to Calais we checked, and all crossings were £175 all week. Nice little earner!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charliegolf wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

I came back Sunday, booked tunnel Saturday for £107. On the journey to Calais we checked, and all crossings were £175 all week. Nice little earner!

Supply and demand
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loads of spaces: profiteering.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Prospect of vastly reduced income for the next 6 months: get whatever you can for this week, before losing money every day and laying off staff.
snow report
 Ian.S
Ian.S
Just done Morzine to Zeebrugge. Now on ferry after quick check-in. Autoroutes quiet. Aires are open. Fuel supplies seem ok. You can get takeaway food and drink but no sitting down! Ferry looks quiet too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A mate returned today via Geneva to Heathrow's T5. Airport unsurprisingly almost deserted but m25 also very quiet.

These are very worrying times. I noted that BA's owning company lost a quarter of its value when the markets opened this morning. Who is going to come out the other side of this unscathed?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just changed our Eurotunnel crossing from Sunday to this Wednesday at a ridiculous cost, but it had to be done. Bon chance everyone. We're leaveing here at lunchtime tomorrow. Couldn't go earlier, as the vet had no appointments before 11am. Loads of choices, but not at the price we paid originally.
latest report
@RobinS, will keep you posted.
latest report
Eurotunnel didn't charge me to change my booking from Sunday to Monday, ie 6 days earlier, and it was a cheap named time Tesco ticket. She said in the circumstances all change fees had been waived. Maybe ring them up? My booking wouldn't let me change online anyway.
latest report
Arrived home about 2 hrs ago, french roads deserted apart from lorries heading to calais and uk cars doing a runner, plenty of fuel and food in service stations, luckily I had paid for a flexiplus ticket for our return which should have been in three wks, M20,M25 still very busy
ski holidays
@endoman, hmm. not happy, it was an extra £77
latest report
@Charliegolf, mmm? I booked yesterday afternoon (Sunday) for a midday tunnel crossing today. It was 110€. Maybe I was lucky.
snow report
fyi: borders to france to close from midday tomorrow for 30 days, ex pats will be allowed to return hom3
snow report
@davidof... and people on holiday will be able to leave after the cutoff?

There's no way all foreigners on holiday in France at the moment will be able to fly home before the deadline.
latest report
Forget the regional lock down. The whole country has been put into home confinement. Only essential travel. If I heard it right then France is closing its borders along with other Schengen countries for 30 days. Only citizens returning to their own countries will be allowed in.
snow conditions
We had an apocalypse party on our balcony today, tomorrow we head for home. May just do non stop and hope. We are thousands down in pay, company is going bust, it's a shambles.
snow conditions
@RobinS, Very sorry to hear that. It was a great service.
snow conditions
@under a new name, No criticism of the company, they have been very fair, just overwhelmed by adverse events, feel Very sorry for them.
latest report
@RobinS, you were working for a transfer company?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My understanding was that it was the EU that was closing, and most borders within schengen would remain open. I could well be wrong though. Anyone?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeVII, Yep, finished moving people out of Chamonix today, now out of work and company closes.
ski holidays
@RobinS, have sent you a pm
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:
We had an apocalypse party on our balcony today, tomorrow we head for home. May just do non stop and hope. We are thousands down in pay, company is going bust, it's a shambles.
Sad Sad
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
My understanding was that it was the EU that was closing, and most borders within schengen would remain open. I could well be wrong though. Anyone?

Both, kind of - some individual countries have closed their own borders as well as the outer order EU borders

RobinS, really sorry to hear that. I hope you're able to work things out!
snow conditions
We should be alright, we may even have some work to go back to. Three-quarters of the working population of Chamonix were put out of work overnight, many in a worse situation than us. Our bosses have been pretty much broken by this.
ski holidays
I expect there will be big queues / limited supplies of fuel at pinch points like the Intermarche in Le Fayet.

We’re heading for the Total tucked away in Sallanches:
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
ski holidays
This sounds promising for Brits still in France (and those wanting to leave via Switzerland):

Quote:
The European Union will close its borders for 30 days from tomorrow to external visitors from non-EU countries, Mr Macron said, but travel with Switzerland and the UK will be preserved

Source: BBC live updates tonight
latest report
Just got back home to yorkshire from Morzine, via the tunnel. Plenty of fuel on and off the motorways. Roads very quiet . From what I can see there is not yet any specific reference to foreigners leaving the country. French nationals will have to apply on line for an authority to travel on the roads via https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus from tomorrow midday. My best guess is that they will be happy for foreigners to leave and not put too many obstacles in their way. So if in a uk car hopefully will be waved through any checks but can not find any written confirmation of this. Also assume will allow travel to geneva airport but no guarantee how long flights will survive and also transfer companies may be thin on the ground. Good luck to all.
snow report
We now have our official authorisation to travel forms, unfortunately the very short list of valid reasons for going out does not include going home!
We are going to put our UK address on the forms and hope for the best.
snow report
Big bouchon round Geneva.
ski holidays
@RobinS, maybe call the consulate in Geneva first? I have a niggling feeling that I heard that transport is going to be exceptionally permitted for 48 hours to allow “seasonal workers” to get home. As France does have rather a few of them, scattered around.
latest report
Not much traffic near the big chicken - mind you, there wasn’t much here on the way down either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy