Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2020/2021 (Dec 4 to April 25)

Poster: A snowHead
Well, the next victim of C19 - Strolz has gone into administration....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ptex, You mean the retail as in Lech, or the ski boots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes....not particularly my cup of tea but an indicator of how deep the pandemic is going to hurt.

http://newsreadonline.com/sport-und-modehaus-strolz-is-insolvent/?related_post_from=19747

Just shows without the big hitters even Lech is fragile.....I guess it'll restructure and come back though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like retail Sport- und Modehaus Strolz ist insolvent kurier.at
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HutToHut wrote:
Looks like retail Sport- und Modehaus Strolz ist insolvent kurier.at

Yes no mention of Strolz Schuhe GmbH, maybe it's just the sports shops and not the ski boot company.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK Folks

Possibly the End .....

The Lifts (limited) might NOT not open over Xmas because of the 3rd Lockdown starting on Dec 26th . Shocked Shocked

Ein Betriebsstart der Arlberger Bergbahnen mit 24. Dezember 2020 ist derzeit noch in Abklärung. Der Start der Skisaison hängt von einer Konkretisierung der verordneten Maßnahmen der Bundesregierung ab. Die Öffnung der Hotellerie, der Beherbergungsbetriebe und der Gastronomie wird unter bestimmten Voraussetzungen mit 18. Januar 2021 erfolgen

Die Bergbahnen äußern sich erst am Montag dazu.

"An operational start of the Arlberg cable cars with 24 December 2020 is still under investigation. The start of the ski season depends on a concrete specification of the prescribed measures of the Federal Government. The opening of the hotel, accommodation and catering establishments will take place on 18 January 2021 under certain conditions'

"The cable cars will not comment until Monday."

Some of the Main Ticket Offices in St Anton & Lech will remain Closed.

_______________________________________________________________________________--

National Policy

The new lockdown will start on Dec. 26. Shops, restaurants, theatres, museums and schools will reopen the week of Jan. 18. Mass tests will be held on Jan. 15-17, enabling people who test negative to end their lockdown sooner.

For those who do not get tested, lockdown will last until Jan. 24.

For Rides in enclosed Gondola's, etc your need an ugraded form of Facemask FFP2

You can read further about current situation/measure here (details in Germans only)

https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus.html

___________________________________________________________________________________-

So Possibly the End of the this season....for Tourists.

No Tourists from until Mid March

Germany
Netherlands
Czech
Denmark
Belgium
Most of Scandinavia

and the British which will be refused entry to the EU from January 1st...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skilifte sperren am 24.12.2020 für die Bevölkerung auf. Dabei muss bei geschlossenen und abdeckbaren Fahrbetriebsmitteln (z.B. Gondeln, abdeckbare Sessellifte) beachtet werden, dass die Kapazität nur zu 50 Prozent ausgelastet werden darf (d.h.in einer Gondel, die von 20 Leuten benutzt werden darf, dürfen nur 10 Leute transportiert werden). Außerdem sind verpflichtend Präventionskonzepte zu erstellen.

There is a Betriebspflicht for lifts here. Or in other words an obligation to open as they are 'public transport'. A failure to do so can result in them loosing their Konzession (business licence).

There will be skiing on the 24th.

Sadly for UK guests/tourists they will not be allowed into the EU from 1.1.21. This will change when the COVID situation changes. Who knows how long that will be.

There will be a certain amount of Schadenfreude enjoyed by keeping out the Old head (long term visitor) Brexit voters. As for those who didn't vote for it, it sucks, you must be very angry.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ld, I don't think there will be any Schadenfreude from the Arlberg (as this is an Arlberg thread) locals at all, at least not from the many i know, only regret. British guests, workers and businesses have been a staple of their tourism and gossip for many years. Some even stay and contribute to the future population. It's all rather sad as is your speculation and i'll bet you a jager that British will still be allowed into Europe from the 1.1.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, agree on both counts. Easily the most arrogant "ski shop" I've visited. Shiny on the outside, rotten inside. I think this is just the beginning but I'll admit that Stroltz in Lech wasn't the place I viewed as the canary in the coal mine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scooter in Seattle, maybe because Strolz is not just a ‘ski-shop’, but a small department-store. Maybe there also is some cultural difference in play here. Shopping in the (southern) Germanic area in general is a bit more formal and ‘chique’, and pricey than elsewhere. And well, Lech also attracts a certain clientele...
I love my Strolz-boots. Made a huge difference for my skiing. And I know it did to many other people too. And their service is impeccable and super-friendly.
Strolz lost more than a month of winter, and very decisive, their end-of-season sale.
On top of that, their new underground rental shop opposite of the main store indeed must have been a huge investment...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
An entry from the trade journal that confirms pretty much your comments:

As the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF) reported, the traditional company Strolz has applied for a restructuring process. With this step, managing director Olivia Strolz wants to secure the continued existence of Strolz GmbH.

According to her, the company had to cope with a 30% drop in sales during the first lockdown in March. The second lockdown was now crucial for the decision. In a normal financial year, sales would be around 19 million euros and the level of over-indebtedness was around 12 million euros. As the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF) reported, the traditional company Strolz has applied for a restructuring process. With this step, managing director Olivia Strolz wants to secure the continued existence of Strolz GmbH.

.....According to Strolz, 30% of annual sales are normally generated in December.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ptex, indeed, I don’t think that Strolz was very ‘rotten’ on the inside.
They were quite active last few years with the mentioned very shiny new rental, and the pretty new ‘younger’ shop next to Rüfikopfbahn

Although the main store definitely is up for renovation.
Will take some time now probably...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, funny you would mention that rental shop, it baffled me. Hard to imagine a more expensive-to-create ski rental facility. Obviously real estate is expensive in the 100% location in Lech, but it appears they literally dug themselves a hole too deep. Reminds me of the old saying "some of my best deals are the ones I didn't do".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, I remember Strolz ski boots back in the 80s, or thereabouts, they had so many metal clips and adjustments that the wearer could be heard rattling down the piste! Smile
They did have a good reputation though for fitment, especially for people with 'awkward' feet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fixed my liner i didn‘t buy there for free....
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, I would turn that around: the hefty investment in their new rentalshop suggests Strolz was very confident for the future. (By the way, Hotel Arlberg***** was also involved with an underground connection)
And the people of Lech traditionally are very, very thrifty. Descending from very poor Swiss farmers. Not the conspicuous type. Contrary to some of their modern-times guests...
Main aspect to realize is that in Lech they are making money only between Christmas and Easter. They are definitely making a lot normally, but it also comes with big investments.
It’s a hefty blow to miss out on the last five weeks of that short money making season.
I think they will be fine once a credit is settled.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, I wish them all well, fabulous people we have got to know well in both Lech and Anton and the villages, very sad times for them all, heavy investment in recent times.
snow report
I don't wish the Strolz folks any ill will, nor do I minimize the truly horrible situation they and all of 'em are in. But for a company that has the franchise they have (dominant operator in a very enviable location), to not have the balance sheet or banking relationship to get even this far suggests they've been on the edge for more reasons than Covid. But I will speculate no further, I am more concerned about my innkeeper, who meets your description of the locals perfectly and I would add that she's warm, friendly and professional. I'm going to check in on her. I am not sure how many more times I'll return to the Arlberg, as I'd like to see other places while my knees still work. But I will return once more for sure if only to see my friend one last time. In the end, it is the people we remember, and I can't wait to go to Don Enzo Due and be treated like family. Maybe the Strolz people could learn a little from them on their next go-around?
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, watch your words, your innkeeper might very well have Strolz genes! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Langerzug, ha, good point!
snow conditions
So......

St. Anton am Arlberg, 22. Dezember 2020
Ski-Saisonstart Winter 2020/21
Trotz des vor der Türe stehenden harten Lockdowns mit entsprechenden Gegebenheiten und der schwierigen
Umstände in etlichen Bereichen bieten die Arlberger Bergbahnen AG ab Samstag, 26. Dezember für die lokale und
regionale Bevölkerung auf Basis der behördlichen Vorgaben ein eingeschränktes Skivergnügen mit voraussichtlich
folgenden Bahnen und Liften an:
St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben:
Nassereinbahn, Gampenbahn, Kapallbahn, Mattunbahn, Zammermoosbahn, Osthangbahn, Tanzbödenbahn,
Schindlergratbahn, Galzigbahn, Nassereinlift, Übungslift Gampen I und II, St. Christophbahn. Valfagehrbahn und
Albonabahn I.
Skipässe:
Bis jedenfalls inkl. 01.01.2021 werden im Skigebiet St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben auf Grund der aktuellen
Gegebenheiten ausschließlich Karten mit Gültigkeit in St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben (gültig bei den oben
angeführten Bahnen und Liften) ausgegeben; für Tageskarten gilt der Schneekristalltarif.
Auch Pool-Saisonkarten sind bis zur Inbetriebnahme der Verbindungsbahn nach Zürs/Lech ausschließlich in
St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben gültig (mit der Inbetriebnahme der Verbindungsbahn wird die Gültigkeit automatisch
auf den gesamten Ski Arlberg erweitert).
Kassaöffnungszeiten 24. + 25.12.2020:
Hauptkassa und Infobüro (bei der Galzigbahn):
9:00 h – 16:00 h
Kassenöffnungszeiten ab 26.12.2020:
Die Skipasskassen sind bei den geöffneten Anlagen zu den regulären Zeiten geöffnet.
Skipass-Webshop mit Pickup-Funktion
Ab 24.12.2020 unter www.skiarlberg.at (Webshop St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben).
Die Tageskarten können bereits am Vortag im Vorverkauf für den folgenden Tag an einer Skipasskasse oder im
Webshop erworben werden. Wir bitten davon Gebrauch zu machen.
Bitte beachten Sie die Verpflichtung zum Tragen einer FFP2- Maske während der Beförderung und im Zugangsbereich.
Die FFP2 – Masken wollen Sie bitte selbst mitbringen.
Weitere hilfreiche Informationen finden Sie unter:
https://www.skiarlberg.at/de/sicher-am-arlberg-2020-21.
Es gelten die aktuellen gesetzlichen Bestimmungen. Alle Informationen stellen eine Momentaufnahme dar,
vorbehaltlich (auch gesetzlicher) Änderungen.
Achtung: Bis inkl. 25.12.2020 ist das Skigebiet gesperrt und es erfolgt keine Gefahrensicherung!
Aktuelle Informationen dazu bzw. generell vom Skigebiet sind wie üblich auch dem Infokanal, dem Internet
(www.skiarlberg.at und www.arlbergerbergbahnen.com), der APP und ab Saisonstart dem Schneebericht zu
entnehmen.
Herzliche Grüße und auch in diesen herausfordernden Zeiten schöne Skitage und frohe Weihnachten!
Arlberger Bergbahnen AG
ski holidays
I find the above very concerning on the part of the ski lift company and local government. Need for FFP2 mask implies a high risk situation. Even in hospitals FFP2 only required when confirmed Covid-19 positive patients or aerosol generating procedures on amber patients (covid status unknown). A leisure activity that requires FFP2 shouldn't be happening full stop. Either be satisfied that the activity can safely take place with ordinary masks (and no masks at all for children etc) or don't let the activity take place
snow report
@peanuthead, it’s a complete overreaction, and isn’t even consistent with the rest of the rules in Austria.
latest report
Is an FFP2 the same as an N95 mask here in the USA? How's a lift operator supposed to know if someone is wearing an FFP2 mask? Other than the obvious block who is just pulled up their balaclava or neck gaiter?
latest report
@Toadman, correct essentially same thing
latest report
Seems a strange move to open lifts in the middle of a global pandemic, whether they are classed as public transport and therefore allowed is immaterial imv it is hardly essential travel. Pretty disappointed in this decision, not on a personal basis, I think it’s increasingly apparent there’s little chance of skiing this season for U.K. visitors, but more on the grounds that they are putting their own people at risk. Any risk for a leisure activity seems one too far imv.
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:
Is an FFP2 the same as an N95 mask here in the USA? How's a lift operator supposed to know if someone is wearing an FFP2 mask? Other than the obvious block who is just pulled up their balaclava or neck gaiter?

Maybe this helps ...
https://www.hivepharmacy.com/post/n95-vs-kn95-vs-ffp2-vs-ffp3
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Seems a strange move to open lifts in the middle of a global pandemic, whether they are classed as public transport and therefore allowed is immaterial imv it is hardly essential travel. Pretty disappointed in this decision, not on a personal basis, I think it’s increasingly apparent there’s little chance of skiing this season for U.K. visitors, but more on the grounds that they are putting their own people at risk. Any risk for a leisure activity seems one too far imv.

If you lived close to a ski resort in Austria would you have the same opinion, would you stay at home and not go skiing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, impossible to say because I don’t. If this is about keeping the lifts open optimising safety for locals I could understand if they had a no gondola policy, and for example had just chairs open and banned the use of covers, ie; Gampen, Kapall, Zammermoosbahn, Arlenmäderbahn, Valfegehr, Tanzboden, Mattun and Osthang, and the old Albona I but Galzigbahn, Schindlerbahn and Nassereinbahn seems crazy to me, FFP2 masks or otherwise. I’m sure huge groups will be on the Railjets from Innsbruck and Feldkirch, be interesting to see if there’s any on slope parties in lieu of apres. I hope it works for them btw, still seems a strange one to me, too much too soon.
latest report
@Markymark29, A lot of areas wouldn't open at all without gondola use – Glungezer, Patscherköfel, Nordkette, Bergeralm, Serles, Kappl, Ischgl, Stubai, Muttereralm, Schlick etc. there are many, many more. There is no way that gondolas are higher risk than other public transport systems, and probably lower risk because of the shorter time duration. How long are those FFP2 masks going to last tomorrow and Friday, when you have to wear them on an open chairlift or drag and the snow is coming down? They'll just be another type of litter all over the mountain.
latest report
@Scarlet, I’m not talking about other ski areas. My comment relates to St Anton - my point is that gondolas should remain closed - period, masks or no masks. It’s just my view, and I personally don’t see it as public transport.

FWIW I can understand local small, and even larger resorts open for now with chairs only (as above) for locals, but to open and attract visitors from all over Tirol seems an odd one to me, presumably many arriving by train and coaches. Interesting that Ischgl as an example isn’t opening yet.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, assuming the decision has been made to open (versus arguing about that point), how would you make it work without, at least, one of the 2 access gondolas, ie N’Bahn or G’Bahn? Everybody on the St Anton side would be using Gampenbahn. Would that not create an absolute circus?

BTW: Banning gondolas would also then close Rendl.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, Rendl not open. My point is that it would restrict numbers going up the mountain, and people would have to queue. I’d kind of suggest if people didn’t socially distance then they’d be not allowed up, but I guess the Jäger trains arriving won’t help that wink Anyway it’s a regional situation they’ve made a decision, Hope the locals don’t suffer because of it, hoteliers/ bar owners etc, in the event of a January spike in cases.
latest report
@Markymark29, Ski lifts are covered by law as public transport, and that's not about to change any time soon, so best to work with what we've got.
Quote:
FWIW I can understand local small, and even larger resorts open for now with chairs only (as above) for locals

That's my point though, there aren't many at all that don't require a gondola from the base station to get up the mountain. Stop the gondola, and the rest becomes inaccessible to anyone not on skins. As can be seen by the queues in town at the ice rink, opening just a small part crowds everyone together in the same place.

Ischgl isn't open because of complications relating to the Swiss border, or that's the excuse they're using anyway.

Any January increase in cases will obviously be blamed on ski resorts and not the 10-household indoor parties everyone will be holding this week rolling eyes
latest report
All the more reason for being cautious I’d suggest, all those party-goers are the same ones who’ll likely head for the lifts a few days later.... I for one would not be going nowhere near a gondola or chair with others apart from my OH.
snow conditions
The FFP2 mask thing is a political issue within the Austrian government. The Greens (who hold the health ministry) believe, like some around here, that ski resorts should remain closed. The ÖVP (the larger component, Sebastian Kurz etc, who are mates with the ski resort operators) believe the lifts should open. The changed mask requirement was just an attempt to make it more difficult for people to go skiing, hence the ongoing argument. If you are going to allow people to use crowded public transport then I cant see what the issue with gondolas and cable cars is though can see there might need to be capacity restrictions. In any case those arguing here are not going to be affected one way or other (no ski lifts running here in Bavaria Sad ) and will just have to watch the locals go skiing!
snow report
@munich_irish, yes, but we may be affected later in the season if they get it wrong now, and there’s an extended lockdown later on. I’m still hanging onto that unlikely 5-10% chance of going late in the season, it’s not an argument btw it’s what it is, just expressing an opinion that keeping a lid on things right now given the experience of last season might have been a wise move.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

FWIW I can understand local small, and even larger resorts open for now with chairs only (as above) for locals, but to open and attract visitors from all over Tirol seems an odd one to me, presumably many arriving by train and coaches. Interesting that Ischgl as an example isn’t opening yet.

I don't think it'll play out like that tbh - the Arlberg doesn't draw local day visitors in that way, as most ski tend to ski 'their' resorts and those on their lift pass. Arlberg isn't on the Tirol Snow Pass, and the Freizeitticket only gives you 3 days there too. IME the Innsbruck skiers for example spread out pretty equally in all directions, but definitely more rush east towards Zillertal on powder days than they do west to Arlberg.

Re. on slope and carpark parties, they would be shut down immediately for breaching the lockdown rules, with heavy fines to boot. Individual sport with max 1 other household is allowed outdoors, and that's basically it other than buying food or going to work.

RE. whether lifts should be open in a pandemic, while personally I'd almost be happier with touring only and private powder all season, skiing brings enormous (and essential) mental and physical health benefits for very little risk - certainly less corona risk than indoor sports, and less risk of injury than eg cycling and hiking on snow and ice. The main corona risks of skiing relate to eating and drinking, which are 100% banned and off the agenda, and lifts. Lots of lessons were learned from the glacier resorts in Autumn as to managing corona risk there - striking difference between the first weekends of operations and the last in terms of maintaining distance and policing queues.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
The FFP2 mask thing is a political issue within the Austrian government. The Greens (who hold the health ministry) believe, like some around here, that ski resorts should remain closed. The ÖVP (the larger component, Sebastian Kurz etc, who are mates with the ski resort operators) believe the lifts should open. The changed mask requirement was just an attempt to make it more difficult for people to go skiing, hence the ongoing argument. If you are going to allow people to use crowded public transport then I cant see what the issue with gondolas and cable cars is though can see there might need to be capacity restrictions. In any case those arguing here are not going to be affected one way or other (no ski lifts running here in Bavaria Sad ) and will just have to watch the locals go skiing!

well the green partei i think dont give a XXXX about the ski resorts and the healths issues / problems when skiing etc
They want simple that the ski resorts stay close the whole season and to infinity...why? why they are against skiing (for enviromental reasons)

it doesnt matter for them if they later take a flight and go to Greece for holidays or driving around the city with a SUV....skiing is against their whole concept...as many other thinks...
ski holidays
@Markymark29, your chances of skiing this season depend on the speed and success of the vaccine roll out not what happens in the resorts over the next week or two. Hopefully we will all be back in the Arlberg before too long.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy