Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2020/2021 (Dec 4 to April 25)

Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I may be wrong but my theory for this winter will be that all ski resorts will be closed in France Italy and Austria I think they will all agree with one another (reluctantly) to close for the whole season. Simply because of the reasons above i.e not the skiing itself but lots of people mingling together for a week or two from all over Europe and then returning home.

I think that's vastly unlikely tbh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Approx 40 cm snow is expected in the near future. (within a week)

https://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-11-20 15:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ulmerhutte, yeah I think the Spiegel article was posted after I said that on Friday but I was just thinking that apart from the being open/closed thing, if resorts have only got say 10%-20% of their usual customers (because of the border/quarantine issues you mention) then at what point do they find they aren’t making enough money to keep it all open? There must be a tipping point where it becomes unfeasible to continue paying staff, electricity costs etc etc.

For what it’s worth though I’m glad Austria told them to mind their own.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wednesday 2 December

There will be an announcement regarding a further 3rd lockdown & Winter sports in Vienna by Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz

_____________________________________________________________________________________----

Update vom 30. November, 8.12 Uhr

Corona in Österreich - Mehr als 13 Tage im Lockdown
„Die Lage ist weiterhin sehr ernst“, so Gesundheitsminister Rudi Anschober zur aktuellen Corona-Krise in Österreich. Am 13. Tag des Lockdowns sinke zwar die Zahl der Neuinfektionen, sie „ist aber nach wie vor auf dramatisch hohem Niveau“. Die nächste Woche bezeichnet Anschober als „eine weichenstellende Woche“. „Wir müssen den Trend der sinkenden Neuinfektionszahlen nicht nur fortsetzen, sondern massiv verstärken“, erklärte Anschober.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
_____________________________________________________________________________________----

Update vom 30. November, 8.12 Uhr

Corona in Österreich - Mehr als 13 Tage im Lockdown
„Die Lage ist weiterhin sehr ernst“, so Gesundheitsminister Rudi Anschober zur aktuellen Corona-Krise in Österreich. Am 13. Tag des Lockdowns sinke zwar die Zahl der Neuinfektionen, sie „ist aber nach wie vor auf dramatisch hohem Niveau“. Die nächste Woche bezeichnet Anschober als „eine weichenstellende Woche“. „Wir müssen den Trend der sinkenden Neuinfektionszahlen nicht nur fortsetzen, sondern massiv verstärken“, erklärte Anschober.

Back of fag packet translation ….

More than 13 days in lockdown. Situation still serious and figures still very high. Austrian Health Minister says - Next week will be crucial in determining what happens next - current trend of sinking COVID figures not enough, trend needs to sharpen downwards.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking around Europe, especially at nations at bit ahead in this second wave, it is quite clear that trend will not sharpen downward.
Not this week, not next week. And probably not after that either.
And since a decision about Christmas must be taken very, very soon, the outcome is quite clear too...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the stats from Tirol, the lockdown is producing encouraging results. There has been a clear downward trend on new cases.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/d225672c788d4847b231f1283d63aead/page/page_3/

It's snowing in the Arlberg and the snow cannons are on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, It is a moving picture within each country, never mind across Europe. In England we are coming out of lockdown tomorrow and moving to regional tiered plans, which in many cases even though advised last week do not match the trends with new infections, many Tier 3 areas in the north have a downward trend, and also much of the south east tier 2 are increasing so if that is an example looking at short term trends is a nonsense, it changes week on week. Wales has just gone back into full lockdown, having come out prematurely 2 weeks ago imv.

So imv if Tyrol opens its infrastructure pre-Xmas then presumably that's for a very much limited volume of people, assuming that most of northern Europe can not travel. My view is they should sit tight until end January and the inevitable spike post Christmas, and reassess at this time, consider a season extension and start early February. Alternatively they will be opening/ closing week on week and people will just decide to swerve this season rather than potentially getting a week or 2 in March, as is our current plan.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The word is out, all hotels, appartments and restaurants closed until well into january. Skilifts are allowed to open.

Additionally the director of AbbAG already anounced in an interview that at Arlberg max. 35-50% of lifts will be running
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ ditto. I heard that too ^

Guess it will keep their neighbours happy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From what I've read there will be a new quarantine for people arriving from outside Austria if their departure point has an infection rate above 100/100k.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vienna New Conference. (Today)

It has just been officially confirmed.

Xmas & New Year is Closed for Holiday Tourists.

Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz

Restaurants and hotels are not due to reopen until 7 January (earliest)

Anyone who has booked in will be receiving Hotel cancellation emails etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the StA FB page:

** Season start 2020/21-UPDATE **

On December 24., 2020, the Arlberg mountain railways will start operations. The opening of the hospitality industry, the catering establishments and the catering industry will take place on January 7., 2021, if the then prevailing infection rates allow...
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/events/saisonstart-2020-21

**ENGLISH - Winter Kickoff 2020/21 - UPDATE **

The Arlberger Bergbahnen (ski lift company) will start operating on December 24th, 2020, while the hospitality industry including bars and restaurants will open on January 7th, 2021, provided that the prevailing ... https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/events/winter-kickoff-2020-21

#stantonamarlberg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte,

Apparently for locals only till 7th or 10th jan, as hotels closed etc, not sure what local encompasses though?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sunday 6 Dec.

Earn your Turns !!

Stop The Brutal Grooming
snow conditions
Latest report on the recent "Tirol Tests" conducted since Dec 4th. Apparently nearly 6,000 tests in the Landeck district with 164 positive, 5 in St. Anton..
ski holidays
Looks like galzibahn running at the moment with some skiers hanging around. Guessing it's for staff/locals
snow report
@boabski, ski instructor courses are running
snow report
A post on my FB feed this morning from Arlberg ski instructor skiing knee deep powder down Schindlerkar yesterday, whooping and screaming etc.....don't know how to post on here but check out Patrick Baetz if you can find him......

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-12-20 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Markymark29, ah, so it was his tracks we saw down the bowl towards Happy Valley we saw on Monday. FWIW there were a few people around skinning/hiking up pistes but it didn't seem like any skiers were using the lifts (Galzig was running to take workers up, and the restaurant in the top station was clearly cooking their lunch). I would be very surprised if he took a lift up - more likely skinned from Alpe Rauz I'd have thought.

Lots of grooming work going on. We hiked back up and round (to ski down Happy Valley) from Kandahar, as we didn't want to get in the way of the guy grooming on a winch.

BTW here's the video: https://www.facebook.com/692894961/videos/10159055405489962 (he says in the comments that he hiked up)
snow conditions
Great vid. Even better sound effects.

@clarky999, can you do that yodel Very Happy
snow conditions
@clarky999, nice one, corrected my post, if he’s walked up fair play, looks awesome
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@clarky999, nice one, corrected my post, if he’s walked up fair play, looks awesome

How long approximately would that skin up be? Assuming he shared the trail breaking with his video buddy?
latest report
@Toadman, Driving to one of the higher car park areas leave about 4km and 900m vertical, Makes for a nice sunrise hike as it's directly up a long piste.
snow report
So approx. 90 mins?
ski holidays
They are occasionally running the lifts to shift the snow.

Lots of locals catching a hitch up with a wink to people they know Very Happy

Skinning up from Rauz Car Park is best (recommended) when the pistes are empty.

Saisonstart without Tourists

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Vorarlberg-heute/70024

FIS Weltcup

St Anton willing to take another race because of the cancelled St Moritz race last weekend.

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30766566/springt-st-anton-fuer-st-moritz-ein-wir-warten-ab-wie-die-fis-entscheidet

Yesterday there was Livestream.. Interesting ..

Lawine 2020/21

Why do Men take more risk than Woman Ski Touring.

http://youtube.com/v/aXvTCgIy4Rk

___________________________________________________________________________________

I think the only way (permitted) folks from outside the EU (This will include Brits from Jan 1st) will be allowed into Austria this season will be with a negative PCR test but could still be required to isolate.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Start planning for 2021/22 season
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

How long approximately would that skin up be? Assuming he shared the trail breaking with his video buddy?

Probably 1.5 up to around 2 hours, depending on fitness. Been a couple of years since I’ve done it though!

The slope from St Christoph had been pisted on the day in question, so I assume from Alpe Rauz would have been too.
latest report
Yowch, MASSIVE natural avalanche on the other side of Schindler the other day:

From the avalanche blog: https://lawinen.report/blog/lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.com/8938042557221265610
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That is a big slide, fortunate no one was skiing in the couloirs. Maybe this is down to a lack of avalanche blasting at the moment? This must have been around the same time as the guy in the video above was skiing down the other side of the ridge.
ski holidays
Shocked @clarky999,
latest report
@clarky999, just wow!
ski holidays
Lifts Scheduled to operate from December 24th.

St. Anton/St. Christoph/Stuben:

Gampenbahn
Kapallbahnn
Mattunbahnn
Galzigbahn
Osthangbahn
Zammermoosbahn
Tanzbödenbahn
Valfagehrbahn
Schlepplift Rauz
Albonabahn I.

Zürs

Hexenbodenbahn
Übungshangbahn
Trittkopfbahnen I und II
Flexenbahn
Seekopfbahn
Muggengratbahn

Lech/Oberlech

Schlegelkopfbahn
Kriegerhornbahn
Petersbodenbahn
Hasensprungbahn
Rotschrofenbahn

Warth/Schröcken:

Steffisalp-Express
Wartherhorn-Express
Jägeralpbahn

Valluga 1, Schindlerbahn and Arlenmähderbahn Closed ...

St Anton to Rauz(Flexenbahn or Zurs) by PostBus

__________________________________________________________________________________

Locals have been skiing up on Östhang already this week ... Very Happy Very Happy

__________________________________________________________________________________

Weather.

Monday a warm Föhn will roll in for a few days ... at least +6C downtown ..
snow conditions
That’s helpful. Thought you were telling the Covidiots to stay home??
ski holidays
@stanton, What, no Rendlbahn?
latest report
davidthornton wrote:

Does not often open before Xmas, so perhaps no surprise?
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
davidthornton wrote:

Does not often open before Xmas, so perhaps no surprise?

Yep, that's true.
ski holidays
Stuben Albona Northface

Lawine/Avalanche

Yesterday afternoon a 61 yr Skitourer died in a 400 metre slide.

https://www.vol.at/tourengeher-stirbt-bei-lawinenabgang-in-stuben/6839352

DJL wrote:
That’s helpful. Thought you were telling the Covidiots to stay home??

I do have multiple country X Border worker exemptions due to essential duties. However I stay at home as Tourism is Closed until further notice..

The Ski Season in Austria & beyond is now under serious threat of closure because of the effective ban on Tourist arrivals in February .

Currently bookings are down 90% across the Ski Areas.

The Dutch have now been told not to go on Holidays until at least Mid March.. This follow non travel advice to the Germans..

The Danish cannot travel either .. One of their biggest Tour Operators (Nortlander/Danski ) has folded due to no Tourists booking. There is a rescue underway but
while no Tourists allowed to travel situation remains.

Advice generally in ALL European Countries is to NOT Travel unless Essential..

Asymptomatic's travelling across the Continent is a very BAD Idea .

Holidays are NOT Essential ..

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
Photo of the above slide on FB "SA - holla at me", page, huge - very sad RIP whoever it was....I don't know how to post the photo on here, have been in there many times but not this early in the season.
ski holidays
My theory at the top of this page is looking more and more likely by the sounds of things i.e. no tourists no point being open
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
My theory at the top of this page is looking more and more likely by the sounds of things i.e. no tourists no point being open

I have predicted this since last April...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152450

With EU tourists being restricted (some will still go against advice but its a fraction) and
UK tourists being banned from January 1st under the third country CV19 entry restrictions.

Virus contagion is not improving it is accelerating faster than the 1st Wave...

For Example: Just today ALL vacation flights (Winter & Summer) in Holland have been halted.

I lost count but there must be 10 threads on Switzerland on this Forum..... I live in Switzerland and we are not happy that areas are open.

Switzerland Skiing will be closed down ...also due to lack of Tourists.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Stuben lawine

https://www.facebook.com/FranzUnt

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arlberg will be very warm this next week +10C !!

The Cows predict SNOW over the Xmas Days..... rain first on 22nd ....

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy