Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2020/2021 (Dec 4 to April 25)

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, If he actually understood weather forecasts he wouldnt be making stupid comments about the weather. This winter is not an El Nino but a La Nina, which is the opposite effect (cold water in the Pacific not warm). How this will affect the weather in the alps is uncertain, the current thoughts are that the northern alps will be bit milder but a bit wetter than normal with maybe decent snowfall in the southern alps but as with all weather forecasts uncertain (geeky weather stuff at https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/la-nina-enso-2020-2021-ocean-cooling-winter-fa/ ).

Not sure why we uses up his one post a day (due to effectively being banned for upsetting folk) posting drivel on this thread.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, yep, wierd eh?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought the account was fake and just a wind-up NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hsdee wrote:
stanton wrote:
@hsdee

I'm sorry to have to break this to you or maybe you haven't understood Brexit?

I often wondered why some people in this thread were rude to you, but when you reply like this i am hardly surprised.

I've been in Anton all summer, spoken to many employers, word on the street is if a uk person has a contract before Christmas it will be honoured this winter, however Landeck have neither confirmed nor denied this as they don't know either. However due to Corona, Brexit etc there are a lot less jobs currently available.

Perhaps you can politely reference your source of information.

Unfortunately, there are some forum members who might be intellectually challenged and compensate by throwing around abuse and personal insults. It seems to be a feature of forums. However, I believe @stanton does make a useful contribution sometimes. Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am perceived as direct that just cultural differences. The sources I have are very reliable. I will never compromise them.. Do not even ask as I will not reveal, ever.

Irrelevant posters @munich_irish, @Markymark29 I will not respond to as they only
criticise and whinge and add zero substance or value here....Vacation warriors i.e less than 30 days per season slope side

They will need to improve their behaviour before any interaction. Very Happy

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My last post was very relevant to Arlberg & Austria in general for this coming season.

Right now Contagion is spreading & rising rapidly in Austria, Germany and many other adjacent European Countries

Lech Hoteliers are very concerned about the travel warnings issued in Germany, etc and want a Lockdown(light) in November to reduce infections in Austria.

"Wenn wir die Reisewarnungen nicht wegbekommen, ist die Saison gestorben“

""If we do not get the travel warnings lifted the Season is Dead """

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3072416/

They will have also seen what has just been announced here in Switzerland today ..From tomorrow Valais canton Very severe Tight new restrictions begin tomorrow 22 Oct..
........... No gathering of more than 10 people which in effect close Ski Areas

CoV19 has NOT gone away and huge groups of international tourists meeting again this winter is really is not a good idea at ALL.

Reminder of last season....

http://youtube.com/v/zmyP1ACnh9I

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@hsdee, What St Anton or Landeck think's has nothing to do with it.. Immigration Law is set by Vienna.

Employment of Non EU Citizens is illegal unless they possess a Work Permit (Visa).

Local business owners in town almost certainly have no idea about the immigration rules regarding the UK departure from the EU ..and UK Ski Bums legal working status in 2021 and to be honest why would they !!

It is of course possible that local businesses "Use" NOT "Hire" people on the black market. This is entirely at their own risk & yours.

Just like any Tourist town there used to be a quite a large thriving Black market however it is very rare nowadays due to raids & clampdown some seasons ago and some well known businesses got fined a lot of €€€€€€€€€€ !

To work legally you would need to comply with existing Austrian immigration rules ..so this would be inline with what Non EU citizens
i.e Americans, Argentinians etc have to do now..

I have not heard anything from Vienna ( and I just checked) that would indicate that citizens residing in the UK (non EU 2021 ) will be exempt from this ...

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/british-citizens-europe-after-brexit

"""Will British citizens be able to move to the EU after the transition period?
The automatic right to live and work in the EU ceases after the transition period.
British citizens looking to move and work in an EU country will need to apply in accordance with that
country’s existing immigration rules.

Those looking to work in the EU after 31 December 2020 will need to make sure that their
professional qualifications are recognised in the EU.""""""""

FYI: I am trying to be Helpful so you do not find yourself in a awkward situation.....take it or leave it .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zurs, FIS WeltCup

Conservationists critical of the implementation of the project. To Right !!!

https://www.vol.at/kritik-von-naturschuetzern-und-gruenen-an-lech-zuers-projekt/6781228

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hopefully a Huge POW Season 2020/21

https://www.wetter.com/magazin/schnee-in-deutschland-la-nina-schuert-hoffnung-auf-richtiges-winterwetter-2020_aid_5f85a755b33017425321a139.html

https://www.merkur.de/welt/la-nina-2020-wetterphaenomen-deutschland-winter-schnee-europa-weihnachten-zr-90072447.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@davidthornton, Vielen Dank
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton, oh dear rattled Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, the same secret mysterious "sources" that claimed to know the "real reasons" behind the closure of the Steissbachtal a couple of seasons back but was so secret you could not tell anyone else. ( perhaps this might be instructive https://henrysavalanchetalk.com/glide-cracks-mean-snowpack-stability/ the pictures look very familiar)

It might seem surprising to you but the various virus stories you post are widely available in the media. The travel industry worldwide is in a very precarious state, the hoteliers of Lech are likely to be in a better position than many.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shall we start a conditions thread and leave this for politics?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, very interesting article on glide cracks, or “fish mouths” as some StA locals call them. I watched one in Steissbachtal turn into a slab slide from the safety of the Kapallbahn. I was struck by just how slowly the slide progressed. It went down to the piste, but very slowly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.facebook.com/547242576/posts/10159051663367577/

Not sure whether this will work, but I do not know how to extract the video from FB... it is a short clip showing the goats being mustered down from near the top of Valfagehrbahn. Pretty decent depth of snow there. Fit guys!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:

Reminder of last season....

http://youtube.com/v/zmyP1ACnh9I

Thought I recognised the face, skied with the American guy with the grey beard and a bunch of guys from TGR around 10 to 15 years ago. Great guy, didn‘t try to be important (by using his name) and was willing to ski - basically the opposite of Stanton. Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, that video is sooooo slow leading up to...St.Antons corona quarantaine...not trying to be important?? seriously? Its quite an ego-document!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What are people’s views regarding ABB’s ability to control queueing and observe social distancing? There’s already report below in TT of folks not behaving properly at Stubai:-

https://www.tt.com/artikel/17462856/gletscher-spass-ohne-abstand-betreiber-auf-mithilfe-angewiesen
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, I have long wondered the same thing, especially for N’Bahn and G’Bahn. How will they redesign the loading platforms? That said, ABB has said (so far) that they will not be limiting capacity in gondolas - something about them being public transport - so distancing in the queues seems pointless if then people are crammed into the gondolas?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, first hand report sees it rather differently https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153756, the images doing the rounds are from Hintertux not Stubai though
latest report
@munich_irish, Missed that post - Clarky doing his stuff, good to see.

Will be interesting how it pans out, perhaps it'll be quieter in town and folks will be sensible, hope so. First big powder day with a delayed start will be the test I guess.@ulmerhutte,
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
@munich_irish, very interesting article on glide cracks, or “fish mouths” as some StA locals call them. I watched one in Steissbachtal turn into a slab slide from the safety of the Kapallbahn. I was struck by just how slowly the slide progressed. It went down to the piste, but very slowly.

Yep, that chair is good for observing those particular characteristics.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@DB, that video is sooooo slow leading up to...St.Antons corona quarantaine...not trying to be important?? seriously? Its quite an ego-document!

I was talking about Hans rather than St Anton. He was a friendly down to earth bloke when I met him. Many Americans (and perhaps some Dutch wink ) would have tried to play up how significant their family name was, or how much they knew about St Anton etc.
snow conditions
@stanton

""Will British citizens be able to move to the EU after the transition period?

The automatic right to live and work in the EU ceases after the transition period.""

Key word being after .....

Landeck office is where most get their official advice from even if it comes from Vienna first.

""FYI: I am trying to be Helpful so you do not find yourself in a awkward situation.....take it or leave it . ""

Thanks, all fine
ski holidays
@hsdee, this subject has been covered pretty extensively in other threads. This https://www.britishineurope.org/page/1016442-home is a good place to go for reliable info. Basically if you are registered in a EU country before 31.12.20 then you can stay but there are various country specific hurdles to jump to sort that, Austria requires more paperwork than some other countries. There was someone who posted earlier in the thread who seemed keen to help brits in Austria.

Hopefully there will be skiing and you will find a job.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@hsdee, this subject has been covered pretty extensively in other threads. This https://www.britishineurope.org/page/1016442-home is a good place to go for reliable info. Basically if you are registered in a EU country before 31.12.20 then you can stay but there are various country specific hurdles to jump to sort that, Austria requires more paperwork than some other countries. There was someone who posted earlier in the thread who seemed keen to help brits in Austria.

Hopefully there will be skiing and you will find a job.

I think it's everybody's favourite troll that has things wrong/usual crap stirring as opposed to @hsdee
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:
stanton wrote:
@hsdee

I often wondered why some people in this thread were rude to you, but when you reply like this i am hardly surprised.

I've been in Anton all summer, spoken to many employers, word on the street is if a uk person has a contract before Christmas it will be honoured this winter, however Landeck have neither confirmed nor denied this as they don't know either. However due to Corona, Brexit etc there are a lot less jobs currently available.

Are you saying that the austrian employers will break the law come dec 31st and continue to employ illegals? I don't understand the tenor of your point.
31st dec they are legal.......... 1st jan they are illegal. how can this be "honoured" without risk of sanction?
snow report
mcg wrote:
hsdee wrote:
stanton wrote:
@hsdee

Are you saying that the austrian employers will break the law come dec 31st and continue to employ illegals? I don't understand the tenor of your point.
31st dec they are legal.......... 1st jan they are illegal. how can this be "honoured" without risk of sanction?

If you are working and resident in Austria by 31.12.20, then you are legally allowed to continue living and working in Austria until such time as you choose to leave (regardless of whether that is end of the season or in 10 years time, but in the latter case, there would be some paper work to sort each year for the first 5 I believe).

If you first move to Austria on or after 01.01.21, that no longer applies and you will have to jump through whatever hoops and work permits etc are required.

If you are working and resident in Austria before 31.12.20 but then go home at the end of the season, you will also lose those work and residency rights. Caveat: you are of course allowed to leave for periods of time for holiday and travel while maintaining those rights, but I can't remember for how long. 3 months maybe? And to maintain the rights, you would still need to maintain a primary residence in Austria whilst away.
snow report
@clarky999, exactly what I would have thought. If you have secured immigration you will be legal. If you are working under EU rules prior to DEC 31st(and without having secured residency or a work permit of some form) then 1st Jan you are illegal. I was querying what the "Honoured" meant in the above post.
ski holidays
mcg wrote:
@clarky999, exactly what I would have thought. If you have secured immigration you will be legal. If you are working under EU rules prior to DEC 31st(and without having secured residency or a work permit of some form) then 1st Jan you are illegal. I was querying what the "Honoured" meant in the above post.

Not sure if I've understood your comment correctly, but I think the bit in bold is wrong. If you start working before Dec 31st und the old EU rules, then whatever happens you are legal under the same rules until you leave Austria - that's the point of the transition period. Re. securing residency: it's been a legal requirement in Austria for years to register as either primary or secondary residence if you intend to stay more than a couple of months (can't remember the fact period) anyway, so that's not really applicable.

From 01.01.21 you then have until December 31st 2021 (I think!) to swap the old Anmeldebescheinigung/Meldezettel (that registered residency document) for whatever the new one is called* - if you fail to do so, or fail to maintain your primary residence in AT, THEN you would be working illegally under the old system. But if you are only concerned about winter 20/21, you will be entirely legal following exactly the same procedures as last year, as long as you start work before 31 Dec. There is nothing extra on top to do that you wouldn't have had to do before.

*There are different new documents/statuses people will be entitled to depending on length of residency in Austria. Once you've been resident for more than 5 years - which at present under the old rules entitles you to a 'Beschienigung des Daueraufenthalts' things are much simpler

**Should obviously go without saying this is all just my personal understanding
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
or fail to maintain your primary residence in AT

I'm not sure about that – when I got my Anmeldebescheinigung, the bloke said that it was valid even if you left Austria and came back. He didn't mention a time frame, but I think it's 5 years.

Obviously, that's under the current system not the new system so I don't know how that would apply in the future (if at all) to our new visas.
snow conditions
@clarky999, The transition period ends 31st December 2020. All current legal Agreements end on that date.
ski holidays
mcg wrote:
@clarky999, The transition period ends 31st December 2020. All current legal Agreements end on that date.

Yes, but then in Austria you have one year's grace on top to sort out the new paper work, during which you may continue on the old as before.

I'm probably rambling, so let me try to clarify in one simpler post wink

- If you move and start work in AT before 31.12.20 the old rules still apply as if you were still an EU citizen
- After 01.01.21 it will be possible to swap existing paperwork for the new documents to allow continued work and residency rights in Austria
- You have until the end of 2021 to do this, so anyone intending to only work this season doesn't have to do anything new or different than before to be 100% legal

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 23-10-20 13:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
or fail to maintain your primary residence in AT

I'm not sure about that – when I got my Anmeldebescheinigung, the bloke said that it was valid even if you left Austria and came back. He didn't mention a time frame, but I think it's 5 years.

Obviously, that's under the current system not the new system so I don't know how that would apply in the future (if at all) to our new visas.

You have to re-register and get a new meldezettel even if you just move address within Austria, so I don't think that could work unless you moved back to the same address. Once you have the Beschienigung des Daueraufenthalts ((after 5 years continuous residency) you have a lot more leeway, but I'm pretty sure if you leave Austria after less than 5 years of residency, the count has always started from the beginning again when you return. Of course you could leave without de-registering or changing to zweitwohnsitz, which would probably work to avoid anyone catching the non-resident period, but you'd then probably have some interesting conversations when tax records show income for only half the year... No?

Anyway, it is 100% sure seasonaires won't be able to rock up this December to get the right to work and live here, leave at the end of the season and work the summer outside of Austria, and then expect to still have maintained that right to work and live here the following winter again.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
You have to re-register and get a new meldezettel even if you just move address within Austria, so I don't think that could work unless you moved back to the same address. Once you have the Beschienigung des Daueraufenthalts ((after 5 years continuous residency) you have a lot more leeway, but I'm pretty sure if you leave Austria after less than 5 years of residency, the count has always started from the beginning again when you return. Of course you could leave without de-registering or changing to zweitwohnsitz, which would probably work to avoid anyone catching the non-resident period, but you'd then probably have some interesting conversations when tax records show income for only half the year... No?

I know you have to de/re-register the address on the meldezettel when you move, but it is the Anmeldebescheinigung that is the EU residence permit, so surely you just keep hold of this until you return?

Anyway, this is a pointless argument that probably won't be relevant to me and definitely doesn't apply to you, and for anyone reading, DYOR Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I know you have to de/re-register the address on the meldezettel when you move, but it is the Anmeldebescheinigung that is the EU residence permit, so surely you just keep hold of this until you return?

I think the Anmeldebescheinigung is the temporary residency permit though, and the Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts is the permanent residency permit?

Scarlet wrote:
Anyway, this is a pointless argument that probably won't be relevant to me and definitely doesn't apply to you, and for anyone reading, DYOR Toofy Grin

Ha, true!
latest report
@clarky999, "Yes, but then in Austria you have one year's grace on top to sort out the new paper work, during which you may continue on the old as before."

Have you instigated some unilateral residence agreements in the last 6 months. That applies to EEA citizens. UK is no longer in EEA as of 1st Jan 2020
snow conditions
mcg wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
, Yes, but then in Austria you have one year's grace on top to sort out the new paper work, during which you may continue on the old as before.

Have you instigated some unilateral residence agreements in the last 6 months. That applies to EEA citizens. UK is no longer in EEA as of 1st Jan 2020

https://www.bundeskanzleramt.gv.at/en/topics/brexit/residency-and-access-to-the-labour-market.html

Their bold:

Quote:
In order to retain their right of residence under the withdrawal agreement, it is necessary to apply for the residence title "Article 50 EUV". According to the current draft of the regulation, the application will be possible from January 1, 2021 for 12 months after the end of the transitional period, i.e. until the end of December 2021. It is therefore not necessary to apply at the beginning of the year. There is sufficient time for the application.

Quote:
I am a British citizen. Can I continue to work in Austria?

UK nationals continue to enjoy unrestricted access to the Austrian labour market in accordance with the EU legal framework until the end of the transition period of the Withdrawal Agreement (31 December 2020).

After the end of the transition period, UK nationals who have exercised their right to reside or to work as frontier worker in Austria in accordance with the EU legal framework before the end of the transition period and continue to do so there thereafter, will enjoy unrestricted access to the Austrian labour market on the basis of the Withdrawal Agreement.

ski holidays
@clarky999, there is no withdrawal agreement!!
ski holidays
mcg wrote:
@clarky999, there is no withdrawal agreement!!

I think you'll find there is: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-withdrawal-agreement-and-political-declaration

Quote:
The United Kingdom and European Union have reached an agreement at European Council on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland’s withdrawal from the European Union. The revised Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration were considered and agreed at European Council on 17 October 2019.
ski holidays
@mcg, perhaps I am now misunderstanding the tenor of your point(s), however your first contribution/question to this thread was

mcg wrote:

I have just pointed out that Austrian employers will not be breaking the law by employing British employees after 1st Jan, so long as those employees started before 31st Dec, as those employees who started by 31st Dec will not be illegal after 1st Jan. Therefore there is no risk of sanction when those contracts are honoured.

The Austrian Federal Government plus UK Embassy in Austria has confirmed that.
latest report
Winter sports Work for Brits

Yes , if you arrive before 31st Dec 2020, anyone arriving 2021 forget it unless you have existing papers (pre 2021).

The main busy period (Xmas/NY) is always the work probation period for Seasonaires before the MAIN Season (Jan-March)

This is to eject Anyone who does not keep to work time, perform duties or/and turns up drunk etc. Automatic firing.

This season will Not be the normal for Ski bums i.e the Partying after work, etc will not happen as all Clubs etc will be Closed early.

Mixed & Large groups will not be permitted.

Also remember Registering (meldzettel) is NOT Residency (that is another process)

Even guests have to Register...which is a very good thing when they have to do a head count during emergency's lockdowns
not just CoV19 but during the season when Severe Avalanche Situations occur in the Stanzertal
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Town Central Heating System built during the Corona crisis

St Anton new central warming system has been built.. More than 6km of
heating pipelines & a Heating Plant,
http://nwsa.at/galerie/
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Zürs
Hotel Edelweiss

New Gourmet Vegetarian Restaurant

"Chesa Chefs Garden Sharing by TIAN"

Its a offshoot from the Michelin Star Chef joint in Vienna
https://www.tian-restaurant.com/

News update FIS WeltCup Zürs

http://youtube.com/v/oXX4XP4n9X4

CoV19

A Large part of the Tirol has now be declared RED (Very High Risk)

This includes the Regions including St Anton, Ischgl , Solden etc

https://corona-ampel.gv.at/

There are now ONLY 4 districts (out of 94 Districts) in the whole of Austria that remain Green.

Landeck Region now 98 Landeck Stadt 27 active Positive (inc Pettneu 3 )
Bludenz Region now 130 Bludenz Stadt 30 active Positive.

Folks living in Lockdown Countries/Regions in November/December/January should NOT be travelling Anywhere.

STAY AT HOME.
ski holidays
But Lech and Stuben (Bludenz) are only yellow! Very Happy
snow conditions
Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz press conference day detailing the rapidly escalating situation in Austria

Corona Traffic Light Commission is to turn almost all of Austria red on Thursday – except for only 17 districts. (out of 94).

https://corona-ampel.gv.at/

This Saturday October 31st there will be Public annnocemnent.

It is being reported in all the Austrian media that this will be Lockdown Light but other political party's are asking them to act much quicker and for a FULL Lockdown.

Translated ..

""" If the government's measures do not work, 50 per cent of intensive care beds will be used with Covid patients in ten days. After another ten days, all free resources will be used and the lockdown will be inevitable"""

______________________________________________________________________________________________

With Medical facilities at near or full capacity I cannot see the Austrian Government allowing 10's 100's Thousands of Tourist into the Country this Winter...

I would not book or plan anything I think the season will be of limits or closed down in my opinion.

This is bad news for Austria

Dutch Government will advise (Negative Travel Warning) all citizens not to Travel for Xmas/New Year & Spring Holidays this season ad there is also now a Quarantine in place for returning from Austria .

https://www.snowplaza.nl/weblog/52850-advies-omt-kunnen-we-op-wintersport-dit-seizoen/

https://skiinformatie.nl/liveblog-coronavirus-wintersport/

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
@stanton, Lech is looking good. I'll have to use the R44 for getting up the mountain, oh, and for shuttle from INN to Lech/Zurs. Apart from that I don't see a problem! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy