Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

Poster: A snowHead
Really happy with Hotel Garni Ida in Ischgl - sent me an email as soon as the resort closed down asking for my bank details and I have since received a full refund. Car parking at Manchester aiport and car hire in Austria through auto-europe were also super easy to cancel and gave a full refund. We hadn't booked lift passes, equipment hire or ski school so can't comment on those.

Things haven't been so easy with Jet2. I received an email from them on 20th March letting me know my flights to Salzburg in the Easter hols were cancelled and I would be contacted closer to my departure date with my options. Great I thought! So I waited... as my departure date got closer and I hadn't heard anything I tried to contact them, but no joy. On the website there is an option to change my flights to another date within the next 12 months but I will have to pay the difference, which turns out to be quite a lot of money. My departure date has now been and gone with no email/phone call from them about a refund. I have resorted to messaging them on Twitter hoping for a response!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sheffsnow91,

Easyjet wrote:
If you prefer a refund, email your request to flightrefund@easyJet.com. As soon as your refund is processed, we will send you an email confirmation. It is extremely important that you enter the following information in the subject line of the email, in the same format as shown below. This will ensure we can process your request quickly. If you have more than one booking reference, please submit separate requests.
Subject Line : Booking Reference/Departure Date/EN

Example : ABC1D2E/16042020/EN
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sheffsnow91, I had 3no flights booked with Jet2 to GVA for 29th March, 2no through my MyJet2 profile and 1no booked on the phone (as it was a minor).

Received a text about the 2no saying they were cancelled and to sit tight. Nothing about the other (even though same flight) maybe as they didn't have a clear contact path.

Today received an email confirming the 2no cancelled and a refund on each processed. Have heard nothing about the 3rd booking but fully expect funds will appear on my card (not too fussed if they don't as it was only £12)!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
further to the above: I've been entirely inactive during the whole process, just waited, I reckon maybe that's all you need to do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few more updates on refund rights for cancelled holidays + flights ...

ABTA
Their site has been updated today, to sharpen up their stance on refunds ... specifically what they're now calling 'Refund Credit Notes' (credit notes which can effectively be cashed in if not used by a given date) ... in the context of the UK Package Tour Regulations (which continue to apply), and some EU countries' softened stances to aid the travel industry ...
https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

ABTA Magazine
The trade body is also trying to consolidate its campaign to 'Save Future Travel' and claims to have "55 travel firms" signed up for their lobby of MPs ... with the objective of gaining government help ...
https://abtamag.com/2020/04/16/4846/
Also on this ...

Travel Trade Gazette
"Abta has set out new guidance for travel firms and consumers on so-called "refund credit notes" (RCN)"
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/abta-sets-out-new-guidance-on-refund-credit-notes-22449

Which?
Further (minor) refinements to their position ... from the consumer's perspective ... were made this morning ...
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/coronavirus-outbreak-advice-for-travellers/

The Sun
Another update today from their consumer editors, clearly explained ...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11411591/refund-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got Esprit refund this morning. They had refunded my debit card on 19th March. Very relieved, as it was a wodge of cash. Next task is to look at annual travel insurance policies under a microscope to see who offers the most cover. My current policy doesn't even cover cancellation where the official government advice is not to travel to that area.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oldschool72, maybe look at LV (if they are now taking new customers again) - we have an annual family policy with winter sports cover, but when we recently needed to decide whether or not to pay the balance on a June holiday, the Coronavirus specific FAQs advised we WOULD be covered if we subsequently needed to cancel due to a continuing lockdown or against FCO advice. In the event, we cancelled the holiday before paying the balance, losing just the deposit. Of course, new policies may exclude anything Coronavirus related
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Davina Goldballs, Thank you very much for providing such helpful links and info.
Currently dealing with x3 holidays - 2 of which have been cancelled - so all info very gratefully received.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montana wrote:
Of course, new policies may exclude anything Coronavirus related

More than likely they all do exclude them as its now a known risk as mentioned on other threads , indeed my Nationwide policy excluded it from cover from 17 March. Thats bookings made after that date, bookings under the old t&cs are still covered.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ster wrote:
Montana wrote:
Of course, new policies may exclude anything Coronavirus related

More than likely they all do exclude them as its now a known risk as mentioned on other threads , indeed my Nationwide policy excluded it from cover from 17 March. Thats bookings made after that date, bookings under the old t&cs are still covered.

I’m with Nationwide too (as an aside the insurance response when my wife broke her knee last year was outstanding) and did wonder who on earth would think that insurance would cover bookings made after the lockdown!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to add a big thumbs up to Sci Centrale Livigno who refunded me £400 worth of adult and children ski school bookings without any bank transfer or admin charge a week before the Lombardy was imposed. At the time they had expected to remain open and the bookings were strictly non-refundable but I had decided the situation already looked too shaky and decided to pull the trip. It took just one email with follow up for bank transfer details. All done immediately.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Three interesting and contrasting insights, published in the past few hours, from ...

Simon Calder, Travel Correspondent of The Independent:
"Coronavirus: Should I book my 2021 holiday now and are there good deals?"
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-holiday-2021-advice-book-flights-hotels-insurance-a9471051.html

Derek Jones, CEO of DER Touristik Group UK (owner of Kuoni and 6 other travel brands)
"It hurts me to see the conflict that the debate around holiday refunds has caused – we’re all better than this."
https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/hurts-me-see-conflict-debate-around-holiday-refunds-has-derek-jones/

The Complaining Cow (Helen Dewdney)
"Coronavirus and travel – who’s taking advantage?"

[quote]Of course it is understandable that travel companies and airlines with no current income will struggle with refunding money to customers. And, of course, most people would accept that there would be some delay in receiving their refund. However, it is not acceptable for companies to breach consumer law nor is it acceptable for the CAA as the regulatory body to do nothing about it.[quote]
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NB the URL for The Complaining Cow on 'Travel in the time of Coronavirus' is
https://www.thecomplainingcow.co.uk/travel-in-the-time-of-coronavirus-your-rights-explained

-----------------------------------------------------------

Because Tui is the UK's biggest tour operator, its (shifting) position on refunds is being closely watched by other travel enterprises. Some are obviously regarding Tui's tactics as a benchmark for their own dealings with customers.

Here's the latest version of Tui's 'Refund credit terms and conditions' (updated in the past 24 hours):
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/refund-credit-booking-incentive-terms-conditions

But there's a lot missing there, particularly:

- No mention of the overriding Travel Package Regulations, which continue to require refunds of TO-cancelled holidays within 14 days.
- No mention of the terms on which their "refund credit" can be cashed in ... though the phrases "Your refund credit and any alternative booking for a package holiday you make are protected under the ATOL scheme ..." and "Your refund credit is valid until 31 October 2021" hint at the legal obligations they're under and are desperately trying to defer!

Simon Calder of 'The Independent' has been looking at Tui's latest maneouvrings. This appeared yesterday ...

"TUI REFUND: TRAVEL FIRM MAKES IT HARDER TO CLAIM MONEY BACK FOR CANCELLED HOLIDAYS"
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-refund-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus-flight-hotel-seat-upgrade-a9471916.html

Check out his video for extra interpretation.

Ben Clatworthy of 'The Sunday Times' echoes consumer sentiments in this piece, today ...

"I feel for the travel industry — but I want my money back"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-feel-for-the-travel-industry-but-i-want-my-money-back-gcbzdrwjx

Oliver Gill of 'The Telegraph also has this today ...

Ministers mull £4bn rescue for travel sector

Quote:
Ministers are preparing a to throw a £4bn lifeline to the travel industry amid widespread public anger over ­unpaid refunds and fears for hundreds of thousands jobs.

Under plans being discussed with desperate industry bosses, taxpayers will guarantee refunds to customers whose holiday plans have been ruined by the coronavirus pandemic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the updates Davina Goldballs.

Still not clear what Crystal are up to, haven't seen any word of people actually being refunded (or offered anything) for many weeks. Obviously they're owned by TUI but other than their pasted responses on fb/twitter becoming increasingly vague they've yet to explicitly say they won't be making refunds as originally promised. No mention on https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-information/ which was apparently updated on Friday eve.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, last week I received an email from P&V with a code for a full refund for the cost of our accommodation (which was partly used for 2 nights - as we arrived on the 14th March, the day the French Alps was closed). It was unexpected to get a full refund.

But, I was looking to get views... The credit note can be used for next winter. What’s the thoughts regarding the financial strength of P&V. Personally I think they should be good for it and the French government simply wouldn’t let them fail.
snow report
@Crashnburn, if you can get cash go for it
snow conditions
I see Sunweb are paying lip-service to the ABTA proposed Refund Credit Note, which would give a refund if not used by 31st July 2020, by actually making their previous voucher – crassly called a “Corona Voucher” – worse than it was before. This offered us a refund if not used six months after issue, and payable within three months from claiming. The voucher to be issued at end of May 2020 so end of Feb 2021 to get a refund. It’s now stating we have to wait until March 2021 before claiming a refund with the three month wait to be paid – so effectively June 2021 – nearly a year later that the ABTA RCN.

We had flights included but for self-drive holidays they say they are actually protected by the ABTA RCN but “The current coverage protects our Refund Credit Notes until July 31st, 2020, but this will be automatically extended until March 31st, 2021 following our renewal with ABTA.” And “If you are unable to find and book a suitable holiday before the expiry date, you can request a refund from Sunweb. The transfer will occur within 3 months of the request for a refund.” – so by my reading of it they are saying they’re pushing back the date for a refund until June 2021 as well by changing the expiry date until March 31st 2021 and claiming this is good for the customer.
latest report
Regarding Crystal I was informed on Saturday that I would receive my refund in the next few days. Today £415 popped up into my credit card. I am still outstanding about £600. Was this the ski lift and flight portion? I may phone them if the rest does not appear in the next few days. No recollection of staged refunds being offered or future credits.
snow conditions
@BlackNRed, thanks for that update rolling eyes I assume that you have seen this change of position on their website - they stopped communicating directly with us some time ago.
snow report
Yoda wrote:
@BlackNRed, thanks for that update rolling eyes I assume that you have seen this change of position on their website - they stopped communicating directly with us some time ago.

Yes this is from their website. They have been replying - eventually - to emails but the latest from the website contradicts their previous correspondence with us.
ski holidays
More updates ...

Another consumer rights avenger has entered the fray ...

Chelsea Dickenson - an expert in everything to do with getting bang for your buck on holiday - gets a write-up by radio station Capital FM ...
A Holiday Expert Is Helping People Get Their Flight Money Refunded

[quote]I've made this questionnaire so that we can all share our experiences - the good and the bad:
[Tweet: https://twitter.com/chchchchelsea/status/1249394441967865856 ]
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfk40Rc5fM62TtaDudH_3iGC0vWjDNwe_7Dfq59y9pm2VB8uQ/viewform

And this, just in, from Travel Mole ...
Campaign group It's Right to Refund warns Govt: delaying refunds is 'unnecessary and unfair'

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2042335&c=setreg&region=2

This Is Money has an update on the EasyJet situation ...
EasyJet finally offers travellers online refunds again as it does a U-turn after customers complained about long phone waits and being told to accept vouchers

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-8236561/EasyJet-offering-travellers-online-refunds-U-turn-customer-complaints.html

Quote:
EasyJet have performed a U-turn on their refund policy and reinstated its online process.

The airline has been under intense pressure from customers in the past few weeks to bring back the online form, which was removed after most of its flights were cancelled due to the coronavirus.

Instead, it asked customers to call the customer service desk for a refund but many travellers found they would have to wait for hours at a time on the line – or simply couldn't get through at all.
ski holidays
I was able to obtain a refund from BA for a cancelled flight next month by calling their Executive Club Gold member line (I am not a gold member) on ‭0800 123111‬ and choosing the last option on each menu. This is an alternative to accepting a voucher or calling the standard customer service line which is currently overloaded and hangs up.
ski holidays
My cancelled 14-21 March DIY trip to Alpendorf in the Salzburger Sportwelt has now been refunded in full.

Top marks to Jet2, Aktivhotel Alpendorf, Schischule Alpendorf and Intersport Kerschbaumer.

They will be getting my custom in future.
snow conditions
The Irish scam artists formally known as Ryanair have decided after approving a CASH refund nearly a month ago have now decided they will give all customers a voucher instead. If you want the refund they originally approved then you have to waste the time of their call centre to do so and they will pay it “after the Covid pandemic has passed” whatever that means.

If you offer something and the customer accepts this, given that there hasnt been a material change in circumstances since the 25th March you can’t change your mind! Shameful but wouldn’t expect anything less from Ryanair!

Annoying when they were one of the few airlines flying to the destination and the flight wasn’t even cheap!
snow report
@DrNo, Have they emailed you to let you know? Last I heard they were processing my refund.
ski holidays
@grumpygargoyle, I think flexibility is not just fair but attractive when enforcing all refunds would simply mean bankruptcy and only a fraction of them anyhow being paid. Vouchers (but with maximum flexibility) do seem a way out of this even if it breaks the holy rule of retrospective contractual change - if the legislation is passed to confirm this. I think their value should be indexed to at least CPI so it is not effectively a free loan to the company though. But I think if providers are going to be given such flexibility then they should show the same in return. For example I have a booking with Brittany Ferries for summer. As it is not cancelled, if I were to cancel now I would lose half the cost with no voucher to cover. Yet if I wait closer to time I risk losing 100% in chance I decide not worth travelling but they don't cancel themselves. Yet if they do cancel I get the 100% voucher (which is fine by me). So I'm forced to take a gamble. It is not like the FCO have a strong recent record of being on the ball with updates to travel advice.
snow report
@CaravanSkier, Emailed about an hour ago.

Have the original email confirming refund from 24th March and they have emailed since saying that it is still being processed.

I didn’t chase them as I did expect it to take longer which was fair enough but this is ridiculous.
ski holidays
DrNo wrote:
The Irish scam artists formally known as Ryanair have decided after approving a CASH refund nearly a month ago have now decided they will give all customers a voucher instead. If you want the refund they originally approved then you have to waste the time of their call centre to do so and they will pay it “after the Covid pandemic has passed” whatever that means.

Martin money bloke has been tweeting about this, he’s taking it up with the CAA. There should be a update soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK thanks. Will keep a watch on that. I’m lucky in that the case is not immediately needed but I think the way it has been handled is outrageous.

In better news, both Stansted Express and Premier Inn refunded within a week on non flex booking so will certainly be using them both again!

East Midlands Trains responded quickly but am still waiting for the refund to appear which is understandable.
snow conditions
Standard Vouchers are an unsecured loan from you to the company.
Would they give you a 3 grand unsecured loan at 0% Apr if you asked for one ?
Here's an idea - when this is over, phone them up and ask them for a 3 grand loan to see what they say.
They are also an opportunity for profiteering.
If a given operator has issued 5000 vouchers to customers with a validity of 1 year, then they know they can make massive price increases for next year knowing that the punters who have vouchers have no choice.
The only situation where this is acceptable, is that if the voucher has an option to cash out for the original value if the customer does not find an alternative holiday which fits their requirements and budget. (like Sunweb)
If customers have been treated well by operators over the years, then operators can have a reasonable amount of confidence that the customers will use the vouchers to rebook. If they want to incentivise customers to take vouchers then they should offer a discount on next years trip which is cumulable with any other promotions, so that it is actually an incentive.
FWIW the local ESF just refunded everyone in full straight away - no questions asked.
ski holidays
@kittya, @DrNo, report back re Ryanair please. I have flights at the end if May/beg June that are likely to be cancelled
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@kittya, @DrNo, report back re Ryanair please. I have flights at the end if May/beg June that are likely to be cancelled

Simon Calder did a live on Facebook video today and covered the issue with Ryanair in it. Check it out from the 2 minute mark at https://www.facebook.com/TheIndependentOnline/videos/257824145355819/
ski holidays
Thumbs up for YSEski. Full cash refund on April 17. Took a few emails but we got there. Will I use them again? Definitely
snow conditions
Thumbs up to Crystal Ski too. Received the remains of my refund today.

Mate advised that he will not get a refund from Tignes Chalet Company as the accommodation was available, unlike the resort and the flights. Their website is still advertising this (last seasons) special deal on the Updates page. Shame as I enjoyed a holiday with them a few years ago.
snow report
@paul65, yeah, nothing that hasn't been said above. fingers crossed the CAA will step in
latest report
More updates this morning, mainly from the consumer's perspective, on holiday refund strategies and blocking tactics ...

Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert
"Martin Lewis explains how to get TUI cash refund if your holiday is cancelled

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/martin-lewis-explains-how-tui-18122524

Leigh Day [lawyers] on ...
"Legal rights and coronavirus: FAQs for holiday consumers"

https://www.leighday.co.uk/Blog/April-2020/Legal-rights-and-coronavirus-FAQs-for-holiday-cons

Which? on ...
"Travel companies demand cash now – for holidays that may never happen"[/b]

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/travel-companies-demand-cash-now-for-holidays-that-may-never-happen/

Also from Which? ...
"Ryanair angers passengers with vouchers instead of refunds for cancelled flights"

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/ryanair-angers-passengers-with-vouchers-instead-of-refunds-for-cancelled-flights/

Travel Weekly on ...
"Abta chief pleads for customer support over holiday refunds"

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/368425/abta-chief-pleads-for-customer-support-over-holiday-refunds

Finally Travel Mole reports ...
"Consumer backlash to ABTA chief's direct plea for support"

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2042341
snow report
[quote="hawkesbaynz"]Thumbs up to Crystal Ski too. Received the remains of my refund today.

Mate advised that he will not get a refund from Tignes Chalet Company as the accommodation was available, unlike the resort and the flights. Their website is still advertising this (last seasons) special deal on the Updates page. Shame as I enjoyed a holiday with them a few years ago.[/quote

Get your friend to find out whether the Tignes Chalet Company could have accepted guests even though it was "open". Val had shut down & gendarmes went around the village checking chalets etc were empty. Did he pay by |Credit Card? Section 75 claim
I used them a couple of years ago. Good company
ski holidays
@DrNo, @CaravanSkier, I too had a promise of a refund from Ryanair. It was originally promised within seven days but that didn't materialise. I had another two e mails confirming that the refund was forthcoming but I'd have to wait a bit as they had a backlog of refunds to process. Received an e mail yesterday offering me a voucher instead. Bunch of robbers.
ski holidays
I got screwed by this scam by Ryanair https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/26/ryanair-accused-of-ripping-off-passengers-over-rebooked-flights . Let my flights go rather than add even more money to their cash pile as any and every change added costs on flights and bags, despite the oh so kind offer of change fee waiver. I would not pre book with these guys ahead of things settling down, they will do everything in their power to hold on to your hard earned cash.

Edited to fix url

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 22-04-20 8:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:

Had another email from Sunweb, they have changed the conditions again so it's now 12 months from issue date before you can ask for a refund followed by 3 months to be processed. So will issue end of May 2020 meaning end of August 2021 before they refund.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy