Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

Poster: A snowHead
@sparklies, thanks for posting, I got the same too, and thought it was very reasonable.

I was intrigued by option 1 though - surely an insurer would say the value lost was only 50% in that case?

I will also probably go with option 2, like you I feel it’s important to support companies financially where we’re able to. Plus I don’t want to take a hit on the insurance unless I have to, I’d lose half the money I got back in the increased premiums (still feeling the pain on a rental car fender-bender in Mexico three years ago ...)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone know if you can claim the cost of 8 days of Carre Neige bought last Saturday? For 4 people it all adds up. I suspect very unlikely. Pass was bought through tour op but I paid at the window for CN.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The hotel I was booked into is privately run by someone I know and like. It’s taken a heavy hit. I was offered a refund excluding the deposit, or a full credit note for next season. I am happy to help them survive by helping their cash flow, and went for the credit note. All my transport costs have been recovered - less a tiny admin fee from Ben’s Bus. I have been very lucky.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had s BA cancelled, and subsequently offered a voucher rather than refund, which is not much use to me. But I discovered the following link via twitter that aides in getting a refund rather than a voucher

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32209950-post666.html

I've not had the money back as yet but have had an email saying flight cancelled and refund will be paid. Hope so.

Maybe of use to done of you...?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster wrote:
Has anyone tried to contact CGH for refund / re-booking? We have a booking from 4th April. There on nothing on https://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/

I googled it "CGH residences coronavirus" a week or so ago. I got https://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/coronavirus-news-3281

It says:
If you have a booking in progress for the next few weeks (from 16 March 2020 to 15 April 2020): your stay is being cancelled.
We will soon send you a «postponement voucher» for an amount equivalent to your unused stay. It will be usable for a future stay to be carried out before 30 April 2021.

I would like my money back - I have no idea if they legally allowed to just give us a voucher - and one that expires in just a year
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stoked Niseko gave me a full refund despite their T&C. See you next season folks. http://www.stokednisekohostel.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.instructor-academy.com/index.php?page=andorra full refund including bus fare hotel and course. Have left course money with them as they offered priority to people who leave either a small deposit or the full money ( so you don't have to pay any extra) but I could of had a full refund. Excellent service in impossibly difficult times.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
www.belvilla.com wants to give a voucher for full amount, that would expire sometime in 2021, so I could use it next winter season, will try to get money back.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 29-03-20 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big shout out to Snowberry in Val D'Isere, refunded without being asked or contacted 4x hires for my wife and the kids for our trip due 4th April.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've given SkiWorld benefit of the doubt, website says they're extremely busy (I get that) and to wait to be contacted...but thought I might have been by now as travel would have been first week of April. I will be expecting a full refund as per the terms and conditions. I don't want vouchers as I don't know what my plans will be next year...

Holiday Extras awful - no flexibility on the hotel/parking at Stansted Airport. Was met with a flat refusal to move/credit/refund etc. Guess who I will be doing all I can to avoid booking with in the future!

El Pro Ski School in La Plagne (the smallest component of the whole booking) called the next morning to offer a full refund. I will make sure I will try and use them again, and will recommend them to anyone I know.

I do think a company needs to be careful in these testing times. People are going to remember who the 'bad guys' were during this difficult time for everyone, and I'm sure they'll pay the price in the future.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rutlandchris, and as a broker Holiday Extras have taken your money. I bet they don't pay the actual supplier until after the service has been provided......?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, @rutlandchris, this is my take with SkiFrance (UK arm of Madame Vacances) too - they are flatly refusing anything other "you sort it out with your insurers." No refund, no offer of a reschedule to next season (which I would have been more than happy to try and arrange) just "we cannot deviate from our position" no further help from us. So basically they have taken my money (plus countless others) and are refusing to budge, yet they now do not have the operating costs of providing the accommodation to me. I hope they are paying their staff until the end of the season, but I wouldn't bet on it!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like to support the smaller companies if I can, but then it's soooo annoying when you see Crystal etc (who I've used before and agree are really good) just doing the right thing and issuing refunds straight to customers. Sadly, next year and for many years after I'll book with those who react well to this scenario, as who knows whether we'll find ourselves back in similar situation again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rutlandchris, I'm currently trying to get a refund from Skiworld for my son - was due to travel last Saturday - not getting anywhere - credit notes / holiday deferral of no use to him.
Looks likely will claim from insurance.
I will let you know how we get on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Dippy, likewise. I've not yet been in contact as was not due to depart until 4 April, and figure they're busy. But will update Happy
ski holidays
Just read this https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

I would accept vouchers as long as they are protected in the same way that a holiday payment is. That would take away the worry of being left with vouchers for a company that has gone bust.

They would also have a two year shelf life as well, which seems fair to all involved. Rather than previous poster's experiences of having a ski voucher to use before November..
snow report
Huge shout out for Ski Independence. When things started to go pear shaped in the US, these guys were on it. Returning to the office at 11pm on Friday night to get flights held, all teams in over the weekend - I know some were still there at 1am as I spoke to someone. Dealt with BA on our behalf, (who, BTW, made every aspect of the process as difficult as they possibly could, from re-booking to the airport staff at both Denver and LHR, the flight crew were great and the baggage reclaim people in Terminal 3. Other than that, hostile and horrible. Enough about that).

Ski Independence were nothing short of heroic. Exactly what you need in a crisis. I have been humbled by their support in a really testing situation.
ski holidays
Not ski-related but I had a Premier Inn booked for the night before a very early flight to Spain in early May, which is now most unlikely to happen. Unbidden, Premier Inn contacted me last week, offering full cancellation and refund, which I accepted. Excellent customer service. I’m still waiting to see what EJ do about the flights.
snow conditions
@Montana, +1 had the same experience with Holiday Inn near Gatwick
snow conditions
Montana wrote:
Not ski-related but I had a Premier Inn booked for the night before a very early flight to Spain in early May, which is now most unlikely to happen. Unbidden, Premier Inn contacted me last week, offering full cancellation and refund, which I accepted. Excellent customer service. I’m still waiting to see what EJ do about the flights.

Same here but with Crown Plaza park/stay/go for the Easter trip, they called me just as I was about to ring them. I didn't get the follow up eail they promised but I checked online and they did cancel the booking.
latest report
I am still waiting to hear from ESF Tignes Le Lac. I e-mailed on the Sunday that they shut so it has been over a week now. I appreciate that they must be very busy so I am not moaning. I have just come on here to say it in case anyone else knows of ESF replying so I know it is coming or whether I need to contact again. Once again, I am happy to wait my turn patiently however the not-knowing is making me a little twitchy.
On a very positive note, Booking.com wrote and refunded, as did Tignes Car Park and Ski Hire from Republic. The family that we were travelling to Tignes with got an immediate e-mail and refund from Evolution2 at Tignes.
ski holidays
@rutlandchris, I agree - this would be acceptable, as long as it is guaranteed against insolvency.
I have a claim all completed and ready to file through insurance - now wondering what direction to go in.
I think this is why Skiworld has been delaying responding to email requests for a refund.
snow conditions
@Dougie, the last person I spoke to in Tignes a week last Sunday (At a respectful distance) works in the ESF office. She said she had at least 2 weeks work to process the cancellations
and refunds. So I'd hang on in there. An ever filling in box must be hard. Not sure if she can remote work, so that may now be an issue.
ski holidays
Have booked accommodation with ski-planet in Tignes Lac from 4th April for 2 weeks. Not been contacted yet. Sent an email and received a generic response. Any one else had any contact with them?
ski holidays
Prosneige Ski School in Val Thorens - been great. sent 1 email to them about our Easter booking for 6 kids lessons. they asked if we could defer the payment back to us until December, we said no, they said no problem and have refunded our booking onto our credit card.
latest report
@chocksaway, Thanks very much.
snow report
Trying to get my breakage deposit back from Village Montana in Val D. It's been on hold on the card now for 9 days, and we were only there a night! Don't even know if they have anyone working at all,
ski holidays
I wouldn't say easyjet have been very good. Email says amend or get refund but the there is no way of getting refund and no contact us option, very frustrating.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I and two friends were due to have a week in Wengen from 28th March. Jungfraubahn have refunded me the full cost of the two 6 day skipasses I ordered on line for my friends (including the CHF5 postage, which surprised me). Also SBB have refunded the full cost of the 6 Saver Day Pass train tickets I'd ordered online (which are normally non refundable). With the fall in the vallue of the £ since I ordered both these items, and the repayment being in CHF, I've actually gained in £ through the unintended currency dealings! Madeye-Smiley

Still waiting for the refund to come through from Hotels.com for the accommodation, I've claimed for it (the hotel actually closed on 16th March) but they say it could take up to 30 days for the refund to take place. Finally I'm waiting to contact BA over the flights, I know they are offering vouchers valid for 12 months from the original date of travel, however my two friends would be unable to use vouchers as their holiday leave (one of them is a teacher) is already planned out. The outgoing flight is still shown as operational while the return flight has been cancelled, so we should be eligible for a refund on the return flight element at least, might have to accept vouchers for the outgoing flight. BA say please don't try phoning unless your flight is within 72 hours, so I'll try speaking to them tomorrow.
snow report
I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Ben's Bus. They emailed me this morning about applying for a refund (which I did). Within the hour, they've emailed again to say that the refund is on it's way. Will definitely book with them again.
snow conditions
@Dougie,

ESF are refunding all payments but its taking a while. Pm me your details and booking ref abbd I will chase up for you
snow report
rousehouse wrote:
I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Ben's Bus. They emailed me this morning about applying for a refund (which I did). Within the hour, they've emailed again to say that the refund is on it's way. Will definitely book with them again.

Yes, they were very good for me, too.
latest report
ESI Flaine - definitely good guys.

We were leaving it a while to contact them and were going to ask for a credit for next season for our kids' lessons, but they refunded us the whole cost a couple of days ago, completely unbidden.
latest report
Bensbus refunding all travellers less admin fees, companies like this were not obliged to refund. I'm sure we'll all remember the good guys next year.

https://www.bensbus.co.uk/refunds-coronavirus/
snow report
I see those offering refunds in two categories:

1) Those who are agents for others, and are basically passing on the pain. I suspect most of the online ski hire operations as well as booking.com etc. are like this; their contract won't require them to pay for unused services so although they lose their profit margin, it doesn't kill them.

2) Those who are prepared to wear the pain themselves, either because of how they are run (i.e. financially conservatively), or because of insurance, or potentially because of state aid.

To me, it's the second group that we want to try and really support next year, but it is important to differentiate them from the first group.
snow conditions
@snowdave, right, a lot of people bigging up AirBnB on here, but it's important to note that it's not their money that they're refunding, it's the property owner's! The decision to refund was made centrally and unilaterally, with no discussion, warning or options for property owners.

Equally, for many (most!) ski schools, most of the money would have been going to the instructors, who are not getting paid as they're independent workers, not salaried staff, so there is relatively little pain for the ski school.
latest report
We had a 2 week trip by car booked for France in April. We cancelled the overnight journey hotels OK with booking.com as they were reservations only. The 2 apartments we booked, one each week, had been fully paid and had no cancellation option. I was impressed that I got full refunds from booking.com in the circumstances. I am taking a credit note for 1 year from P&O for my ferry booking as we will definitely go at some point next winter - assuming this is all over by then.
snow conditions
We had a 2 week trip by car booked for France in April. We cancelled the overnight journey hotels OK with booking.com as they were reservations only. The 2 apartments we booked, one each week, had been fully paid and had no cancellation option. I was impressed that I got full refunds from booking.com in the circumstances. I am taking a credit note for 1 year from P&O for my ferry booking as we will definitely go at some point next winter - assuming this is all over by then.
ski holidays
Computer glitch and resubmitted comment - sorry.
latest report
@mogulski, see my comment above for Booking.com - again, it's not their money they're refunding, so it's easy for them to be the "good guys". They're a tech company, not an accommodation provider.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy