Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

Poster: A snowHead
margaret wrote:
Inghams. Were due to fly out 4th April. Full refund. Will use them again.
Hi Margaret, have Inghams confirmed the refund. I have only been offered reschedule to 20/21 or credit note.

Thanks for any info.

Simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ParkInn, refund in full for hotel before early flight on Saturday from Heathrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
king key wrote:
Top marks to Sunweb. They contacted me before my trip (should have been flying to Austria today) and offered a full refund. I've used them before and found them very efficient.

How have you managed that? Their website saying they'll only offer vouchers for next year - it'll be interesting to see how their prices for next year compare to the equivalent week for this year as well.

One question, if we went down the insurance route for a refund then are Sunweb going to compensate the airline - easyJet - the hotel and the ski area (lift pass etc), or do they just keep the money we've paid ......

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/faq/questions/78516/information-regarding-the-vouchers-for-the-cancelled-holidays
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still waiting for a refund from BA for cancelling our outgoing flight from LHR to Zurich on 17/2 when they had IT issues at LHR. They've told me twice that it's with their refund team but nothing yet. And we have an upcoming booking with them to the US in April that I've asked for a refund for too. I get it that everything is a mess for airlines right now but not having the refund from 17/2 at this point is poor form.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dippy wrote:
@Mother hucker, I agree, the offer seems fair. However, if we were to defer the holiday to next year, even accepting their discounts and loyalty offer we are looking at nearly £500pp more than we paid this year. We could take the holiday credit but that would tie us in to travelling with Skiworld - also, we are x3 separate adults (whose lives could go in different directions by next year) - and if Skiworld were to go into administration I'm unsure if my annual travel ins policy would cover a credit as it is not an actual booking.
Therefore at this moment in time I would prefer a full refund

Many thanks @dippy - not had anything yet but we were due to fly out later than you. Not particularly impressed with that offer - if I want my money back that should be an option imo
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hypatia, unfortunately this is a risk that can arise when booking everything separately, rather thn through a TO. There is often a slight saving, but if something goes wrong getting refunds is more difficult, particularly when relying on insurance.

SCGB insurance wording is pretty clear. Even at Platinum level it explicitly does not cover cancellation arising from "the fear of an epidemic, pandemic, infection or allergic reaction" or from "the advice or recommendation of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office applicable at the time of your departure".

Your flight may well yet be cancelled, when you will get a refund; but for all the airline knows you may be a Swiss citizen wanting to return home.

"apes"??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:
@Hypatia, unfortunately this is a risk that can arise when booking everything separately, rather thn through a TO. There is often a slight saving, but if something goes wrong getting refunds is more difficult, particularly when relying on insurance.

SCGB insurance wording is pretty clear. Even at Platinum level it explicitly does not cover cancellation arising from "the fear of an epidemic, pandemic, infection or allergic reaction" or from "the advice or recommendation of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office applicable at the time of your departure".

Your flight may well yet be cancelled, when you will get a refund; but for all the airline knows you may be a Swiss citizen wanting to return home.

"apes"??

I think the key lesson here is to be fully aware of what your insurance will cover. I think many of us (including me) are guilty of buying insurance based on a combination of price, name (i.e premium) and topline cover. How many of us actually read the small print.

With regards to TO vs. diy - yes, doing DIY does make it more complicated to get refunds, but it's never a straight choice. I DIY because I get the exact holiday I want rather than what the TO will offer, so it's never a choice between the two (although I do sometimes try and compare). Plus for me the savings are big rather than slight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The other element to getting refunds is not just if, but when?

Airbnb committed to a refund and delivered it that evening. Car rental committed straight away to a refund on Sunday, but I still haven't seen anything come through. Skiset took 3 days to commit to giving a refund, but we might not see it until 30th April.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it'll take some providers longer to get the refund processed, and as long as the money comes through alls good. But it's just another feather in the cap of those that can deliver the refund quickly and efficiently.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbcole7, See helpful link MikeM posted earlier - the package travel and linked travel arrangements regs 2018
I am arguing that point with Skiworld at mo - as my son (whos holiday it was) is not intending to ski next year (buying a his first house).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MikeM, Very helpful link - thank you very much
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dippy yes just reading this, looks like Part 3 section 13 is relevant, yes?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avis - refunding fully, not charging the usual cancellation fee. Apparently takes 5+ days to come through to the card.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbcole7, Yes - I have that printed out also.
Waiting to hear back from Skiworld re latest email sent requesting refund repaid and not a credit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was flown home early from Bansko yesterday with a private message from Balkan holidays saying I would receive a full refund, today I’ve received an e mail telling me I’ll have to claim off my travel insurance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, we booked for 28/03 through Ski Solutions travelling with Inghams to Val Thorens group of 4 have had a couple of emails and a couple of phone calls. I have clarified that I need a refund as we are not able to travel next year, awaiting their reply........
snow report
As others have said, Sunweb are now trying to do vouchers, which is explicitly against their own terms and conditions. I've booked a package so should be entitled to a refund, but they're uncontactable - customer services is just an automated message.

I've put in an S75 credit card claim. Although I will definitely book with them again they haven't released next year yet and I don't want to get caught out if they go under.
snow report
I also was with Sunweb, and have been told it's vouchers, but I sure could use the money at this point with the possibility of no income for many months. No response from my insurance company re lessons we didn't get to use.
snow report
Premier Inn have just written to me to say that they will refund a non-flex (ie non-refundable) booking for stays between 19 March and 31 May. This is very generous, in my view.
latest report
Managed to actually talk to a real person at BA today, about cancelling my flight (tomorrow) to YVR. Got confirmation that I'll get a voucher valid for 1 year, and that I'll be able to use this to get the same flights for the same destination at the same time (minus 1 day!) next year. Worth sitting through endless repetitions of the Flower Song.

I've also been able to transfer our condo reservation in Whistler from this year to the same time next year, for the same price. Full marks to Kim Lawrence at Westwind Properties!!

It looks like I'll be able to get a full refund for Mrs. A's lift tickets, but not for mine (For me, the Whistler season's pass was cheaper than the corresponding day tickets, since I now qualify as a "senior" skier, and season's passes aren't transferable - even though I hadn't started using it).

Now all I have to do is to survive the Covid outbreak.
snow report
Also just discovered that APH parking at Gatwick will give a voucher valid for 12 months even though I booked at a non-refundable rate. It looks as though I will not need to make an insurance claim after all. Easyjet cancelled the flight and will refund the cost and car hire and accommodation providers are not charging me.
snow report
Full refund from BA - top marks to them, also from Ski hire company Intersport, so again will use them in future.

Which just leaves Go Montgenevre - or rather, in future, Don't Go Montgenevre..
latest report
Whilst I haven't yet started to calculate the losses for our sadly curtailed trip to Canada I would like to give a thumbs up to Ski Independence who were excellent in helping us plan our trip in the first place and have been equally good in helping us unravel it. We're currently at Calgary Airport waiting for our flight home. Nick at Ski Independence has been really good in keeping us informed of the position and then organising, and then changing again at our request, our flight home.
latest report
So, I was originally supposed to fly to Geneva Tuesday - Friday this week with Easyjet, but I changed my flights to Friday - Saturday when they introduced free changes, keeping it short notice in the hope they'd just cancel it completely and I could get refund.

They've now cancelled the return flight, but not the outbound (shouldn't have picked a day when they only fly once) and seeing as I'm currently 750th in their online help queue, thought I'd ask here whether people have any experience of requesting refund for a not-cancelled outbound-sector of a booking when the return-sector has not been cancelled Puzzled

EDITED to add the fact I'm booked with Easyjet!
snow report
Easyjet - our flight today Bournemouth to GVA is still running. We are Brits and apparently would not be allowed into Switzerland, not even allowed to board according to EJ.Surely on that basis we can claim back for our flights (out there and return)? Impossible to get through on the phone
ski holidays
Thumbs down for ASDA today. My order is due for deliver this afternoon with over 50 percent substitutions or items simply not available (inc courgettes, why have the run out of courgettes?)

Worst substitution, and there are some pretty poor ones, low alcohol beer instead of the 'proper' stuff!

I phoned to see if I could get some better subs, held on queuing for 57 mins, give the chap my order number and got cut off!!!!

Normally I`d send back most of the subs but due to personal circumstances I am having to be super careful about contact and we do have to eat!
snow conditions
@CaravanSkier, Our local waitrose and Co-op had NO fresh veg at all yesterday and lots of shelves completely empty. I assume the compost bins will be very full next week LOL
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, I ordered a small shop for delivery on Tuesday for my son who was coming home before us. We got Mulligatawny soup instead of pea and ham, but most other things were surprisingly either suitable, or delivered.
Courgettes are vile things, but I suspect lack of delivery from Spain may be an issue. but low alcohol beer is a crap one.
I've just done a cupboard and freezer list using Alexa, she's now gone on strike. Laughing
latest report
I have picked up a whisper, (I think it was something I saw on Twitter) that the Thomas Cook collapse practically cleaned-out the ABTA funds, so those of us with faith or hope in the ABTA guarantees for TO refunds might have to do the credit card route.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
So, I was originally supposed to fly to Geneva Tuesday - Friday this week with Easyjet, but I changed my flights to Friday - Saturday when they introduced free changes, keeping it short notice in the hope they'd just cancel it completely and I could get refund.

They've now cancelled the return flight, but not the outbound (shouldn't have picked a day when they only fly once) and seeing as I'm currently 750th in their online help queue, thought I'd ask here whether people have any experience of requesting refund for a not-cancelled outbound-sector of a booking when the return-sector has not been cancelled Puzzled

EDITED to add the fact I'm booked with Easyjet!

Had to go out and left myself in the online chat queue. Returned to find the queue had frozen, but upon further closer investigation, it appears I can get a refund for both flights, even though only one was cancelled:

"We are very sorry your flight has been cancelled. Please choose a free flight change to another flight, or a full refund of the cost of your flight and any directly related un-flown sectors within the same booking."
ski holidays
Villz wrote:
Easyjet - our flight today Bournemouth to GVA is still running. We are Brits and apparently would not be allowed into Switzerland, not even allowed to board according to EJ.Surely on that basis we can claim back for our flights (out there and return)? Impossible to get through on the phone

What time is your flight?

If it's still 2 hours away, you have the option of changing to another one free of charge.

I changed my Birmingham - Geneva flights earlier in the week and thankfully chose a return that has been cancelled, triggering the refund process.

If you want to do the same, I suggest booking a return flight somewhere in the next few days where they have numerous flights per day (like Birmingham to Geneva at the weekend) but not where they have one flight during the day (Birmingham - Geneva during the week) because the former are getting some cancelled, whereas the latter don't seem to be. Presumably they are trying to still fulfil their slots, whilst allowing Swiss nationals to fly home.

EDIT: just looked and can see your flight is due to depart at 12:20. I hope you got an answer and got sorted. Sorry I wasn't a bit quicker with the suggestion, although you might still have found yourself in same position in a few days anyway.
snow report
I'm still waiting for my Easyjet GEN-LTN on Sun to be cancelled Puzzled (I'm here in London, having not gone on my trip)

Not sure what the best course of action is, wary about leaving it until last minute...
snow conditions
Tweet them and out in for compensation @marcs44, I got them to pay out for a similar issue
latest report
Scam wrote:
I'm still waiting for my Easyjet GEN-LTN on Sun to be cancelled Puzzled (I'm here in London, having not gone on my trip)

Not sure what the best course of action is, wary about leaving it until last minute...

Assuming you booked both flights at the same time under one booking reference, if you didn't take the outbound flight without notifying them, I think they have the right to cancel your return sector. That is normally what could / would happen.

Insurance-wise, I think it would then all depend on the FCO advice at the time of the original flight out. Good luck!
ski holidays
Just as a balance to some of the feedback here, I'd say remember that the Travel Insurance companies are also dealing with their routine levels of accidents, illness and injuries - which will have priority. My wife broke her arm last week skiing with her sister in the 4 Vallées and we had terrific service from LV= She had to be helicoptered to the local A&E, got treated relatively quickly, and LV= organised me to fly out, airport transfers, empty seats each side of her on what was a full return flight. They got the hospital case notes translated into English and their own medics reviewed the conclusions (incl fit to travel) just to be sure the local hospital wasn't trying to avoid surgery. I'm just submitting all the receipts now but most of the costs should be covered.

So whilst it may be tedious, it's important to realise that the insurers probably don't have much extra bandwidth to deal with the coronavirus cancellations and their priority will be making sure people like my wife get home well and safe.
snow report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Scam wrote:

Assuming you booked both flights at the same time under one booking reference, if you didn't take the outbound flight without notifying them, I think they have the right to cancel your return sector. That is normally what could / would happen.

Insurance-wise, I think it would then all depend on the FCO advice at the time of the original flight out. Good luck!
I was going out with Swiss and transferred that to an 'open ticket' the night that all the French resorts shut (the night before we were due to travel). So, separate bookings.

I could do the same with EZY but I'd really just rather they cancelled the flight so I can get a refund.
ski holidays
Thumbs down to Snowchateau - have absolutely flat out refused to refund us anything at all! Going to try and raise a dispute with ABTA
ski holidays
Slightly off piste, but SW Trains and the UJC have refunded 100% after our Graspan Parade in May got cancelled. Wasn't expecting SWT to refund, so thumbs up to them.
latest report
RichClark wrote:
Pejoli wrote:
Just had the call from Mark Warner (due to travel to Tignes on the 22nd) - they offered full refund, or 10% off next years holiday, and all very straightforward.

+1 had the same call

Have you received the refund yet - my trip with them got cancelled just as I arrived at the airport last weekend?
snow conditions
RichClark wrote:
Pejoli wrote:
Just had the call from Mark Warner (due to travel to Tignes on the 22nd) - they offered full refund, or 10% off next years holiday, and all very straightforward.

+1 had the same call

Have you received the refund yet - my trip with them got cancelled just as I arrived at the airport last weekend?
ski holidays
ABTA are trying to persuade the government to adjust the financial protection scheme to include credit vouchers: https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

If successful it seems likely that a lot of small providers will go down this route - particularly if the alternative is insolvency.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy