Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski buy advice - Crossmax V12 perhaps?

Poster: A snowHead
Hy everybody!

My Profile:

178 cm; 75 Kg; Male
20 weeks of experience
Piste-skier most of the time, likes some speed
Likes carving very much, but also the classic short turns
Likes moguls very much
Some occasional powder skiing

Snowparks & Jumping are things I really don't care about.

This year I skied with a pair of Salomon Crossmax 10 Pilot and they felt like heaven. Wanted to buy them but they asked €500, which seemed a "little" overpriced.

Now that I've experienced the pleasure of a good ski I've been searching my ass off on the internet to find out what to buy.

My conclusions:

People differ in opinions

My Question:

What ski's should I buy, budget around €500 - £350 max?

Own ideas:

Crossmax V12, since I heard some good comments and I really like the crossmax 10
Elan S12, since I read some good reviews

Enlighten me please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. don't buy skis without testing them first,

2. find a test centre- which has the test skis avaliable to sell (important point)

3. get testing

4. try different styles/manufacturers- don't stick to one brand- try twin tips despite views re snowparks- lots of these skis are good different types of terrain.

5. Ignore blurb. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pip, welcome to snowHeads.

Volkl 5*'s are currently on offer from http://www.sport-conrad.com for under £300 delivered to the UK. The 168's match your criteria perfectly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Please remove the above link, trying to avoid buying ski's and you keep putting these cheap prices in my face !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
srobbo, no pain no gain Laughing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this is my favourite time of year for buying skis!! IMHO it's not worth paying anything close to "list price". Simply demo skis, get a shortlist, then start clicking/ringing early March when the sales start and you'll save 50% ish, which you can them almost recover by selling on ebay 3-4 years later Very Happy

Even better, keep your shortlist and buy "last years" model at the start of "next year"

Regards,

greg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, dead right Greg. I bought £600 b5's for £359 last year & have just bought £575 M:EX's for £230 Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pip wrote:

Crossmax V12, since I heard some good comments and I really like the crossmax 10
Elan S12, since I read some good reviews

More on don't trust reviews: those are two -very- different skis.

From your description, the V12 might work but the S12 could be a big chore in bumps and nowhere the float your friends might wish for you in powder.

Listen to edsilva
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, what about a pair of Atomic Sweet Daddies for under 200GBP?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, where do I send the money?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, chez moi.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice. I understand that testing is the key to succes, but which pairs should I test, apart from the V12, S12 and the 5 stars?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pip, Nordica Hot Rods.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pip, How much powder is "occasional" or what do you mean by it. Do you aspire to ski it and go looking for it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pip,

You could try the Rossi Z9. My previous ski was the Crossmax 10 and although I loved it at the time, the Z9 is much better. It excels at speed on piste, long or short radius. But I also found it great in powder, crud and bumps.
ski holidays
The Z9 really seems worth trying, some very positive comments in reviews, really allround and flexible so it seems. I think I'll skip the Volkl 5 stars, because off the marker bindings, and the elan S12 because they seem kinda stiff, just like the metron B5. The Hot Rod seems more a pure piste ski with very limited mogul and powder possibilities.

So that leaves me with the V12 and the Z9, or should I reconsider?

marc gledhill, When I see a nice piece of powder I can't resist, but I am not the person who is willing to climb an hour for it.
snow report
Pip, I only asked as I wondered if you should go "All Mountain" or "Piste Carver" snowHead

Maybe a something a little fatter would suit sir? Dynastar 4800 seems a popular model.
latest report
marc gledhill, I see it as "All Mountain Free" vs. "Skiercross"
snow report
Head iM72?
snow conditions
comprex, isn't skiercross really a slightly plump GS ski?
ski holidays
marc gledhill, it's normally somewhere between SL and GS.
snow report
Quote:

The Hot Rod seems more a pure piste ski with very limited mogul and powder possibilities.

No.
snow conditions
Are you really going to avoid the 5* because of the marker bindings, you could always go for one without the piston control such as the lt. The fischer rx8s and zenith z9 both seem like good choices, personally for the money id go for the rx8 with railflex 12. Or what about even a 6*. Next years s5 is supposed to be good but I doubt you could pick it up for less than £350.
ski holidays
Just got back from Tignes, I wasn't able to find the Z9, so I tested the V12 and it stunned me. I felt like the king of the mountain. Never skied faster and more accurate, so i bought them: 170 cm, 550 euros including a pair of poles. I realise they are ideal for piste skiing, but i realised also that searching my speed limit on a nice groomer is my favourite.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy