Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Government policy seems to be based on what people are moaning about.

So expect a rapid u-turn when everyone realises 14-days isolation coming to the UK will mean the same going anywhere else

Waste of time in anycase, what they actually going to do?

Hello will you self isolate when you leave the airport?
Yes
Ok thank you

And how are they going to get to place of self isolation? Bus, train, taxi? By which time damage is done.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@robs1, they should have instigated it when it all kicked off, or now ASAP so why wait till the end of the month?

Most on here are "moaning" out of frustration, plus those of us in France have endured a much more Draconian lock-down than the UK but admittedly not as tough as Spain and Italy.

There are over ten million people coming through uk borders every month, if they had to isolate for 14 days that means they would need places for 5million. hardly practical is it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Australia and New Zealand the original immigration isolation was ‘go to your home and stay inside’. People didn’t, so now that the incoming numbers are greatly reduced they are using hotels. And security guards to make sure you don’t do a bunk!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robs1 wrote:
There are over ten million people coming through uk borders every month, if they had to isolate for 14 days that means they would need places for 5million. hardly practical is it

I assume that's a normal month pre-COVID-19. Numbers now are a tiny fraction of what they would normally be, and many of those are lorry drivers who will follow a different routine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thelem wrote:
robs1 wrote:

I assume that's a normal month pre-COVID-19. Numbers now are a tiny fraction of what they would normally be, and many of those are lorry drivers who will follow a different routine.

Yes but those numbers were still moving when people say we should have started to quarantine all incomers, at that point it was totally impractical to do it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris said quarantine for people arriving by air....no mention of ferries or tunnel (or train)..........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Downing St have just confirmed that the UK's quarantine arrangements will not apply to people travelling from France.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, tip top. Now just need France to let us in!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philip1972 wrote:
@rob@rar, tip top. Now just need France to let us in!
I think a couple of weeks ago when France said initially that international arrivals would only be allowed from the EU, they also included the UK. I think I linked to the statement from the French embassy in London, although that will now be a few pages back in this thread.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s a mutual agreement between France and UK
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay wrote:
It’s a mutual agreement between France and UK
Excellent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And quarantine only affects air passengers, which suggests to me they’re not really planning for it to affect EU
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, I shall be on the euro tunnel site forthwith!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Philip1972 wrote:
@rob@rar, I shall be on the euro tunnel site forthwith!
Laughing I suspect it's a bit early for that, but I'm hoping my slim hopes of visiting the French Alps at the end of August aren't, as yet, completely extinguished.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All good news
latest report
All good news Very Happy

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200510/no-quarantine-in-uk-for-travellers-from-france-macron-and-johnson-agree

Just back from a rebellious end of containment party, which happened to be a friend's birthday, could have stayed till after midnight but thought we'd chance a walk back especially as raining hard and what would the chances of the Plod being about?

Happy days Very Happy

Apart from the forecast rolling eyes
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Downing St have just confirmed that the UK's quarantine arrangements will not apply to people travelling from France.

That's only because Macron was p*55ed that Johnson did not include the French when the French had included the UK and Schengen countries in allowing travel. Another U-turn by this government due to myopic stupidity (again!).
snow report
So, what happens flying via Geneva (CH) to e.g. Edinburgh? Bunch of feckless idiots.
snow report
I think the details (rather than the Johnson spaff) will be in legislation today.
snow report
@under a new name, yes I'm very intrigued how Geneva airport will be handled/handle things. Hopefully there will be some set up to allow travel through in between France and the UK.
I was impressed by the slickness of travel though the swiss border and airport when i headed back to the UK - hopefully that can be replicated in both directions...

If not, I imagine airlines kicking up more of a fuss. But will the Swiss really care?!
snow report
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-statement-between-the-uk-and-france-10-may-2020
latest report
The Police Municipale are hand delivering masques here to peoples letter boxes Very Happy Not sure what database they're using, I'm expecting to have to go to the mairie which has re-opened. I have ordered some online, expected delivery, 5 - 7 May Confused
snow report
@Claude B,

Collected our masks from the Marie today, must be the first freebies ever rolling eyes
snow conditions
I went to the mairie but they said they're being delivered. In fact there was a photo on FB of the police with all their boxes. We'll see Confused
snow report
Purley an off chance but stopped off at the Marie today prior to going shopping and, all very easy even though I had not put our names down / inscribed and two masks each provided FOC.

Briancon shops were quite busy it seemed as many shops opened today for the first time in 8 weeks and people were enjoying getting out.

Dank weather meant we stuck to running as opposed to cycling further than usual so little change there, mind you has always been a couple of km further than the alloted distance.
latest report
Our masks were in our post box this morning. Washable at 60degrees x10 then replace, with patriotic little red white and blue ties. Thanks Region Rhône-Alpes ...
latest report
We got our masks Sunday, washed them yesterday, white fuzz over all our dark grey towels... marvellous.

Contagion theatre.
snow report
@under a new name,

You put whites in with colours wink
Schoolboy error Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely they were just trapping all the viral particles in your towels ?
latest report
@gvj, probs. Big virions though!

@stewart woodward, front of mask is mid-blue...
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, @KenX, like I say only one way to find out.

Similar to my last ride up to the Douane post at Montgenevre over two months ago!

That said weather's looking not too cycling-friendly next week.

So break in the weather and out with the bike and up to Montgenevre, and a good chat with a couple of Douane, and I asked them about cycling the Echelle circuit and they said yes no issues with crossing the border but the problem was that the Col was closed due to rocks.

I then asked in case there was the usual element of lost in translation if I could drop down to Cesana and climb up to Sestrierre and come back and again they said yes, thinking I was going to do that, I said no maybe later in the week, but if I do I will double-check at the time just in case!

After dropping down from Montgenevre I headed up Nevache and loads of cyclists out and then climbed up to both Cols (there's the French one and then an Italian one), on the way up I could see where they were cleaning the road of winter debris and stones over the road and there indeed was a barrier.

Once up on the plateau it was business as usual and I thought I'd head over the Italian side and drop down that way, except that is where the problem was Laughing

I did cautiously go through the tunnel but the road was covered in debris so I thought better of it and turned round
latest report
I went for a local hike and saw no-one up there. It was nice to stretch the legs tbh.

ski holidays
stunning picture
ski holidays
Lauteret conditions, 2019 and 2020

https://www.skaping.com/serrechevalier/coldulautaret?comparison=MTU1NzczNjkyMA-MTU4OTM1ODEyMA-MC41
snow conditions
@davidof, that's very good Very Happy

But I don't need a webcam image to show me that what I know Sad

10th May last year

Guess what made the tracks in the middle ?
latest report
That'll be you and me then Very Happy
snow conditions
[quote="Weathercam"]
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, @KenX, like I say only one way to find out.

I did cautiously go through the tunnel but the road was covered in debris so I thought better of it and turned round

Top quality helmet hair!
ski holidays
KenX wrote:

No the tracks going straight up and down !
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
KenX wrote:

No the tracks going straight up and down !

Were they small, furry, and barely visible above the snow?
ski holidays
Snowshoes? I dunno, it was a year ago!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy