Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Any news of when France might be open for those of us that have to arrive from the uk or elsewhere?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matt1959,

No dates set yet. Don't expect anything before July. If the French can only travel 100k don't expect to drive 600k from the UK
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is anyone doing anything different with their apartments with them being left empty for so long?
I was expecting to go back the weekend after lockdown started so I left water & electricity on, fridge, washing machine & dishwasher doors are all closed!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, Same issue for me, but actually, there is nothing I can do about it!

Cant go and check etc, the people I know who usually are in resort year round are all gone, so I have to just hope that all is ok!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, I was quite happy until you wrote your post. Now I’m thinking about how my son and his partner have left the place!

I can control the heating via an app, but can’t see if the water was turned off, dishwasher etc.

May have a chat with one of my French neighbours and get them to pop in using the key safe.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought Philippe was pretty sensible, sort of, "we're opening what we can when we can but please bear in mind the gravity of the situation".

Travel in and of itself up to 100kms no biggy but no stupid paper and longer than 1km radius nice.

Can also go round and see folks. Cue enormous parties. Discreetly.

The testing/personal confinement, however, seems less sage. Hey ho.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
100km à vol d'oiseau wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.skipass.com/news/201404-deconfinement-montagne.html

Hopefully the Isère préfecture won't over rule this Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny996 wrote:
is anyone doing anything different with their apartments with them being left empty for so long?
I was expecting to go back the weekend after lockdown started so I left water & electricity on, fridge, washing machine & dishwasher doors are all closed!
I have a local handyman who is a key holder for my place, so I asked him to visit my apartment a month ago to close it down. Although I'd turned off the water and turned the heating to the frost setting when I last left the apartment (1st week of March) as I wasn't 100% confident that I'd my next scheduled visit would actually happen (last week of March), I'd left the fridge door closed with one or two food items inside, which I didn't want to sit there until my next visit. I'd also left a few pairs of skis in my ski locker which I wanted moved to my cave as that is a more secure location than the ski room. He made a quick visit in early April to sort those things out, so if needs be the apartment is OK until I next get out there. Hopefully this will be in August, but I suspect that's not going to be possible so maybe it will be November or December (unless the UK or France hasn't gone back in to a full lockdown with a wintertime Covid peak Sad ).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are only going to unlock certain departments at this stage, depending on criteria tba. Something about the over 65’s as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zzz wrote:
They are only going to unlock certain departments at this stage, depending on criteria tba. Something about the over 65’s as well.

They plan a traffic light system with red and green departments which will be updated daily but there is no information about what restrictions will be placed on red departments. No restrictions on over 65s.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The French Alps are in an orange zone. What this means hasn't been clarified.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beat me to it. https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/carte-du-deconfinement-quels-sont-les-departements-en-vert-ou-en-rouge-en-auvergne-rhone-alpes-1588259932
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now all we need to know is what it all means in practice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, prioritie a droite in the absence of guidance to the contrary wink
latest report
It means nothing at the moment, there will be a new map update every day until 7th May, when the deconfinement regulations by department will be announced, orange just means the hospitals in the SE are approaching capacity for dealing with Covid patients despite a lower infection rate in this area.
Bear in mind, if we get a resurgence (unlikely) to 3000 new cases a day, then all bets are off for a May 11 deconfinement.......
snow report
@KenX, bad nights sleep Ken?
snow conditions
Our doctors here have sent out a communication that cases are decreasing locally but still occurring and almost always after supermarket visits. They are advising the wearing of masks on those occasions.
ski holidays
Looks snowy down to village level in Val d'Isere, anyone planning on poaching some lines in the next few days? You can always post photos anonymously wink
snow report
@Claude B, advising masks because they will actually do anything? (they almost certainly won't) or because contagion theatre makes them do so?
snow report
This young Frenchie is keeping fit Very Happy
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_pnNL2ARPq/?igshid=10nm6prnmlxhk
latest report
davidof wrote:
@KenX, bad nights sleep Ken?

Five to seven our time, not so early?
Always get up between 6 and 7, force of habit for snow clearing and first lifts wink
snow report
Claude, what is your view for next year. Appreciate it is a crystal ball effort. I am going from total despair to total optimism....!
I hope you are doing well.
E
snow conditions
@efsefs, no idea tbh. The maire announced summer opening for early June, that ain't gonna happen. I'm sure we'll open next winter but what that will look like is anyone's guess.

I'm looking forward to being able to get out a bit more in about 9 days.
ski holidays
Don't lose all hope yet – some areas around here have now announced their lift opening dates in mid June, so about 6 weeks. A lot can happen in that time.
snow report
@Scarlet, so true, just over 6 weeks ago we were living a normal life, so a lot can happen in 6 weeks.
I’m feeling positive about next winter season & a couple of weeks in august would be a bonus
ski holidays
I won't be rushing up regardless. Only way up to the glacier is via a 2 section 20 man gondola which suffers with big queues. Social distancing will be impossible. Bars and restaurants won't open until July at the earliest so hardly a holiday, ok though for teams race training who are the majority of summer visitors. Much nicer things to do imo, glacier skiing is pretty dull.

Business owners and the resort in general need something badly though.
latest report
Compagnie du MOnt-Blanc planning limited opening May 15...

https://radiomontblanc.fr/article/chamonix-la-compagnie-du-mont-blanc-se-prepare-au-deconfinement-49335?fbclid=IwAR2VbKz2TBIf8x7WMj16Ig9XiuvB7Am2WeZljH5gnGzYj0hpK43KKzSxYmA
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems to be some confusion over what was announced on Saturday re Quarantine for people coming back into France, and even after the Health Minister Olivier Véran made a statement people were questioning what the detail is.

So here's the copy text from Thelocal.fr although I don't subscribe if you're fast you can view the source code of the article and then copy 'paste into an HTML editor.

Once approved by lawmakers, the emergency period will last until July 24th, Health Minister Olivier Véran told a news conference.

As part of the planned measures, Veran said people entering France may have to remain confined for two weeks.

Entry into France is currently heavily restricted with an international travel certificate required for everyone crossing the border and only those who meet certain criteria allowed in.

READ ALSO When will I be able to travel to France again?

\"The compulsory quarantine will concern anyone entering the national territory, an overseas territory or Corsica,\" said Véran.

Anyone arriving from abroad and infected with the virus would be obliged by law to be quarantined.

Will everyone will be quarantined?

Véran said people who are not symptomatic would be quarantined and those who develop symptoms and are diagnosed positive for coronavirus by a doctor will be put in isolation.

But will everyone, as the minister suggested, be forced into quarantine or isolation?

Véran himself mentioned the example of French nationals returning from abroad.

This would typically concern \"French people who travelled abroad and who want to come home,\" he said.

The Local has asked the French Prime Minister's office to clarify the rules, but in a short statement to RFI radio a spokesperson said: \"This may apply to anyone who arrives after being in an area where the infection is circulating.\"

Given that most countries have been hit by the global Covid-19 pandemic that suggests everyone will be affected by the new rule.

However Interior Minister Cristophe Castaner later added that there would be exceptions for people who regularly cross the border such as frontalier workers and haulage drivers.

He said there were already provisions in place for people \"who live close to the border or who live in France and travel regularly to another country for work\".

It was also not clear where people would be quarantined or isolated with the government planning to announce further details in the coming days, but the minister announced it would be financed \"by state means\".

French media suggested people would be quarantined in hotels or medical centres.

The condition of the length of quarantine, the place where people will be asked to stay, the health monitoring and restrictions on outings that apply to those quarantined will be specified in the coming days after the advice of the Scientific Council, said the minister.
While the parliament is set to vote on the raft of emergency measures the practical aspects of the quarantine rule will be decided by decree.
The total duration of isolation, whatever the situation, could never exceed 30 days, said Véran and people will have the right of appeal to a judge who must decide their case within 72 hours.
Infected people already in France will, however, not be forced to accept isolation and treatment, as \"we trust French people's sense of responsibility\", Veran said.

The government had initially announced a plan for everyone in France who test positive for Covid-19 to isolate for two weeks either at home or in special accommodation, and initial plans were to give local authorities the power to enforce quarantine.

However this was altered after protests over heavy-handedness, and now the quarantine will be something that people are only asked to do in order to protect the health of others.

\"We are going to have to live with the virus for a while,\" Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said after Saturday's cabinet meeting deciding the extension.

\"Learning to live with the virus, that's what's at stake in the coming months.\"

Think our game plan will be to sit it out here, especially with some relaxation as from next week, and then maybe go back to UK mid-June, and spend the Summer there hopefully returning back in the Autumn but obviously will all depend on how things turn out?

Some crazy TV footage from people enjoying their freedom in Spain yesterday!

Just seen all my Spanish cycling mates are all back out on their bikes this morning rather than the turbo Very Happy
snow conditions
The French Embassy in London has confirmed that the proposed 14-day quarantine for overseas visitors arriving in France would not apply to people (citizens?) arriving from elsewhere in the EU/Schengen/UK.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, yes all change to what the Health Minsiter said Laughing

People arriving into France could face a mandatory two-week quarantine - although on Sunday the presidency made it clear it would not apply to anyone coming into the country from the UK, the EU or Schengen area. Here's what we know so far.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200502/france-plans-to-quarantine-people-coming-into-country-from-abroad
ski holidays
And we're in Green down Sarf now !!!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 4-05-20 8:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Still mentally writing it off, but mid-August trip may be a possibility still

Although Mrs B says all the info to the surgery from NHS says prepare for Peak 2 then - so likely all be locked down again rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Boris, the 7th wave’s the one to watch out for ...
snow report
I've written off the rest of the year. Despite having changed our March/April Easyjet (Geneva) flights to Nov/Dec respectively, I'm not expecting to be able to travel or ski then.

Real bonuses for me would be:-
1) Being able to go camping/hiking/biking (safely) in the UK any time before the end of September; and
2) Safely undertaking our planned trip to the 3 Valleys in early 2021.

But then

Boris tells us that his insider in the NHS has a tip off about a 2nd wave in the summer... Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
...Boris tells us that his insider in the NHS has a tip off about a 2nd wave in the summer... Sad Sad Sad
The planning's for November in the UK.
latest report
I wouldn't have thought it would take till November.
ski holidays
looks like the dept colour is mainly for schools.....it seems all of France regardless of whether a red/green area will be allowed some individual sport, 100km travel, groups of 10 etc from May 11th

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Deconfinement-in-France-What-is-and-is-not-allowed-from-May-11-Covid-19-green-red-map-France
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:

Boris tells us that his insider in the NHS has a tip off about a 2nd wave in the summer... Sad Sad Sad

2nd wave is a misnomer, the first wave hasn't rolled into many areas yet.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
The French Embassy in London has confirmed that the proposed 14-day quarantine for overseas visitors arriving in France would not apply to people (citizens?) arriving from elsewhere in the EU/Schengen/UK.

The clause in the act being brought before the French parliament states that

Quote:
« La mise en quarantaine, le placement et le maintien en isolement ne peuvent viser que les personnes qui [ont] séjourné au cours du mois précédent dans une zone de circulation de l’infection, la liste des zones de circulation de l’infection est fixée par arrêté du ministre chargé de la santé ».

So the actual law will permit the Health Minister, Olivier Veran to determine which countries will be quarantined. It could be Spain, it could be the Netherlands or the UK.

The principal is to treat the UK as if it is part of the Schengen zone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy